The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

I want that Ford truck! we need something to crush that Aleko with :)
32911822454_1df66aac90_h.jpg

Funny, I've been playing around with the exact same theme :)

View attachment 182773
very nice, love it :thumbsup:
now we need the Porsche and Toyota on the grid, and probably ByKolles and Rebellion.

i was trying to replicate the concept that Sean Bull did until some LOL moment happened when i merged down the shapes on the headrest and airbox without thinking twice which messed up the looks and ended up being a bit custom route. never ever again painting directly on 3D LOL.

Looking really good! I bet it's not easy to fill 42km of trackside objects! lol
Thanks mate... Well I'm a newb to 3DS max, to AC tracks... and pretty much a newb to Photoshop... So objects will be interesting. I've got my head round most of it... but UV mapping and optimising are main things I have to brush up on. I've still got to populate Pacific Coast with a ton of objects... It's my main priority... But at least both tracks are in California :) lol

i do it often!
004171fa.jpg

perhaps i have a better polygon budget XD

Nice one... Yeah I think AC's polygon budget might be a bit less than that screen lol
especially as the current mesh is around a million poly's (tri's) I will probably aim to have foliage about 30m from the track... then will have to find a way to "fake" more distant objects with a texture somehow :)
Probably with a multimap shader.

I've got my head round most of it... but UV mapping and optimising are main things I have to brush up on. I've still got to populate Pacific Coast with a ton of objects... It's my main priority... But at least both tracks are in California :) lol

Joke aside, forest pro, same as multi scatter are plugins for 3dsmax to spread objects automatically on a surface, with ton of options such as random, clusters, fading, affected by splines if needed, scale down when close to an object etc. etc. lot of potential.
If the screenshot above shows millions of polygons, you can apply it to simple cardboards and see your polygon budget in real time as well

If you need a hand, i'd be happy to teach :)

another useful tool (free this one) is Advanced Painter, to paint manually on a surface given objects. Practical for small surface, i wouldn't go for 42km² for sanity reasons :D:D

Joke aside, forest pro, same as multi scatter are plugins for 3dsmax to spread objects automatically on a surface, with ton of options such as random, clusters, fading, affected by splines if needed, scale down when close to an object etc. etc. lot of potential.
If the screenshot above shows millions of polygons, you can apply it to simple cardboards and see your polygon budget in real time as well

If you need a hand, i'd be happy to teach :)

another useful tool (free this one) is Advanced Painter, to paint manually on a surface given objects. Practical for small surface, i wouldn't go for 42km² for sanity reasons :D:D
Thanks a lot for the tips mate... I think I really need to look into some plugins for Max to streamline things. The "affected by splines" sounds most useful to me. The landscape needs to be pro-optimised... But for some reason when I do that it messes up the normals and makes the mesh faceted. So I need to also brush up on smoothing.

Oh btw it's not 42km²... The circuit length is 42km per lap...
the area is around 10km²
(I've been mindful to keep this one within AC's 16x16 limit)...
Still enough to affect whatever sanity I have left :D

And thanks a load for the offer of teaching... I think I still need a bit more Max time to actually understand any help you might give :D... It took me a few months to find out that I needed "loft compound" objects to make crash barriers... I was looking for "extrude along spline"...
but that would have been way too easy to find if it was called that lol

Cheers mate :)

I wish there is some tool like that for 3D grass and stuff, I will go insane even with ~15 square km

I mean in Blender.
There probably is some script somewhere that might help... As I'm finding out, part of the issue is either finding out the name of a command, or finding the name of a script or plugin that ends up saving a VAST amount of time. Using the ribbon tools in Max has saved me a ton of time.

I thought it was 10km²... ok all this 3D mucking about has messed up my maths skills as well... soon I won't be able to turn my computer on! lol :D

Thats like the size of DayZ Chernarus map, it is huge. And we are pretty much forced to run all the time, and get sniped in the mean time. So people are taking breaks from that game. They are going to replace all the foliage in the map, they are not doing this work manualy, they have some sort of generator built, I guess it must be some kind of script. Try to ask them :D

Thats like the size of DayZ Chernarus map, it is huge. And we are pretty much forced to run all the time, and get sniped in the mean time. So people are taking breaks from that game. They are going to replace all the foliage in the map, they are not doing this work manualy, they have some sort of generator built, I guess it must be some kind of script. Try to ask them :D
Chernarus... yes that is a massive map iirc... I doubt the AC engine could handle that amount of foliage...
I could be wrong about that though. I will probably aim for a corridor of 25m either side of the road using polys... and then fake the more distant foliage with textures. I'll learn this as I go I suppose :)
Scripts sound the way to go... I haven't actually used any yet... That's another thing to add to my "to learn" list lol :D

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 296 34.8%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 240 28.2%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 156 18.3%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 7.9%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 22 2.6%