This sim is 7 years old right? So how in hell...

...does a 7 year old racing sim have such a realistic and totally convincing AI, while the AI in more modern sims such as ACC behave more like a bunch of teslas on autopilot playing follow the leader?

Ok I'll admit that R3E has been sitting on the dusty part of my games SSD for quite a while now, and I recently went all in on the content, but today was the first time I attacked this in anger with the DTM 2020 content on the Nurb GP, and honestly this was the best AI racing I've yet to experience.

I then watched a replay of my race and compared to a real DTM 2020 highlight reel and I was honestly totally impressed with how the AI mirrors the real life racing - the mistakes, the nudging, the off track battles, the lines the cars take, the side by side door handle to door handle stuff.

I think I'm going to spend a lot more time in this.

I am very new to R3E, but compared to the “AI” in iRacing and the spastic reactionary AI in ACC, I find it amazing! Just tonight I discovered that it can also be reactionary. I bumped someone and I’ll be damned if that sum-bitch did not come back and slide me right off track wheel to wheel! It was awesome I was astonished that it had just happened.

Just tonight I discovered that it can also be reactionary. I bumped someone and I’ll be damned if that sum-bitch did not come back and slide me right off track wheel to wheel! It was awesome I was astonished that it had just happened.

Cool i am playing R3E quite some years and always thought it must be placebo, but it happens also to me. If i bump some AI or cut them to agressive they sometimes "strike back". Its awsome if its really not only my imagination :thumbsup::confused:

Because it is an extreme example of the endemic lack of reactivity of the AI to the surroundings.
Using a totally unrealistic situation isn't really an example of anything. The AI in pretty much any sim currently on the market can be bamboozled by doing things that are totally unexpected and highly unlikely to happen during a real race. Not programming AI to react to such situations is hardly an indication of an "endemic" problem in my view. It would simply be a waste of development time.

No one here seems to realize that you can train rF2 AI as well ?

The main problem is 1. they hold gears too long 2. they brake abruptly when a car pulls in front of them causing a concertina affect

if you set right strength aggression and ai limiter you can have fantastic SP races oh give them some rubber as well

rF2 You just can't go from car to car expecting the AI to be the same ...that would be canned like AC AMS you can run same AI levels no matter what car :coffee:

I drive Historic, real life there were always crashes you have to be good enough to avoid them
Race with 1/2 a brain, give them room they best AI out there

Oh and like RR I can crowd rF2 AI within inches and they will push back best wheel banging there is :barefoot:

Last edited:
To be fair, it's an R3E thread so not that surprising. I can't comment on rF2 AI directly because I just don't use that sim, but from others I've heard it's passable but nothing special. That's not a slur against the sim though in my view, because most sims only have passable AI. Even R3E's AI has it's faults, but as mentioned above it's the little "human-like" characteristics which make it stand out from the crowd.

The main problem is 1. they hold gears too long 2. they brake abruptly when a car pulls in front of them causing a concertina affect

if you set right strength aggression and ai limiter you can have fantastic SP races oh give them some rubber as well

rF2 You just can't go from car to car expecting the AI to be the same ...that would be canned like AC AMS you can run same AI levels no matter what car :coffee:

I drive Historic, real life there were always crashes you have to be good enough to avoid them
Race with 1/2 a brain, give them room they best AI out there

Oh and like RR I can crowd rF2 AI within inches and they will push back best wheel banging there is :barefoot:

please tell us how you do that!

Like most here, I think R3E Ai is very good and understand why people could feel it is their favorite.

Looking at R3E as a whole, this SIM does everything well, great content choice, good physic, great sound, great FFB, nice graphics, online works well, AI is very good, easy to use, but yet it is not that popular. It is doing OK, but not as good as how great the features are.

On a personal level, I do not drive it that often, compare to others, but when I do, I am always wondering why I am not in R3E more often.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

On a personal level, I do not drive it that often, compare to others, but when I do, I am always wondering why I am not in R3E more often.
Same here, even purchased all content available, spare the latest electric insult to motor racing.
Could be in minority, but prefer more gentlemen ACC AI behavior, but my biggest gripe of all is physics and FFB, something is funky with both, never feels as natural with proper transitioning between effects and grip/no grip as in both Kunos titles.
Easily my 3rd favorite for sure, hope for some engine refresh though, it's released just a year before AC, but feels much older than that.

Same here, even purchased all content available, spare the latest electric insult to motor racing.

Oh god, me too, I can't bear the idea of driving a milk float around, and to all you tree huggers out there who think this is good for the environment I ask you where do think the electricity comes to charge the batteries comes from? That's right - petrol and diesel generators hidden at the back of the pits.

Could be in minority, but prefer more gentlemen ACC AI behavior

Well I'm not going to say you're in a minority here, but we will have to agree to disagree on this point. I like door handle to door handle and paint trading when it comes to tin tops. And no I'm never pissed off when I get punted off because, well, that's racing

but my biggest gripe of all is physics and FFB, something is funky with both, never feels as natural with proper transitioning between effects and grip/no grip as in both Kunos titles.

Actually I find the purity of the FFB really refreshing, in that it's just you and the wheel with no exaggerated effects as far as I can tell, and I've no trouble feeling the car, in that US and OS are easily felt and dealt with - I find ACC somewhat more vague on this. As for the physics, well it feels OK and realistic to me, but then all the sims do in their own particular way.

Easily my 3rd favorite for sure, hope for some engine refresh though, it's released just a year before AC, but feels much older than that.

I dunno, I find it actually quite acceptable graphically speaking, It ain't an oil painting for sure, but what it does I think it does well. However the engine really does need a refresh for VR if only to bump it to DX 11 or 12 as this would allow it to dump the draw calls to another core rather than running the whole damned shebang on one core.

Last edited:
The AI is VERY good. My main issue is that they aren't affected, at all, by the extreme speed penalty you get in this game by running into the gravel. On Imola for example, they run some WIDE lines through corner likes Rivazza with nary a drop in speed where for human drivers, running into the gravel is like running off into a tar pit.

The AI Raceroom is awesome. Yes, there are downsides, as indicated above - on sand in Imola it rides like asphalt.

What's not to like:

1. the GTO Classics and Cupra e-Racer are slow. At the 103 level they go slow, although the DTM 2020 at the 100 level goes very well.
2. Mandatory pitstop - don't know what AI does, but it takes me longer to change front tyres than them. :unsure:
3. Porsche AI(RUF GT3, GT2) has no understeer. I have to brake earlier than they do and do a different angle.

AI rarely makes mistakes or crashes, but these are subtleties.

Last edited:
2. Mandatory pitstop - don't know what AI does, but it takes me longer to change front tyres than them. :unsure:
Make sure you request a pit stop before entering the pits.

I'm still convinced the AI also has more grip than you for a lap or two. I can usually pull them back in but I always seems to lose ground on the first lap or so.
The AI always has optimal tire temperatures, that can make a difference in cars without tire blankets.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 41 73.2%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 14 25.0%