F1 2012 'Understeer' is actually faulty grip levels: CM fix inside

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
CM explains why there IS an understeer issue:

"Hi guys, just to let you know that we’ve adjusted track information that will provide a more uniform level of grip across the entire surface. This update will be going live in patch #4 later today.

We’ll post the patch notes later this afternoon!"

grip levels needed to be more uniform

what people referred to as "understeer" was never a product of ill physics, at all. The steering and handling are fine..the problem was that the "racing line" was probably a bit too narrow. Once you missed the line..even if you were going at a speed that could easily take the corner..you still slid and pushed. Unless a car hits a marble section of a turn..they will have plenty of grip to make the turn at normal or close to them.

While yeah..a little bit of penalty is needed to keep people from slam braking and being able to make the corner just fine...I think it still needs to be realistic enough that if I'm half a lane or a lane up from the optimum line..I can still make the corner.

I've only played the demo, understeer is not the real issue it's the predetermined racing line and extreme lack of front end grip off it. Like others have stated if drive correctly before, it will feel the same after the patch.
However if you make a slight braking/steering error it should cost you a tenth or so rather than going off the track. I think that is what people are frustrated about rather than the change in physics. So in my opinion a small change in off-line grip levels would be welcomed. It would stop the feeling of a predetermined trajectory, if you were fast before you would still be fast, but slight deviations from the 'suggested' racing line will not be punished so harshly.
Anyway that's what I hope will happen, if it does I feel the game would improve greatly.

well, to be fair: CM labeled it understeer, not 'people'

well, to be fair: They can call it what they want but my point was that the car wasn't an understeering car by itself. The grip levels were off when you weren't exactly on the "ideal line" thus, the car SEEMED to understeer when it really just had no grip.

if it were the cars actually understeering..slowing down would fix the problem. Instead, the cars will still slide until you are at a very low speed much lower than required to regain control and make the corner.. Thats not understeer..thats a 'virtual world with wrong physics'.

If you enter the corner too fast even on the racing line or turn the wheel further than your front tyres can handle you will (hopefully) still run wide ...

Turning the wheel agressively is actually a real life driving technique, employed by one Mr Fernando Alonso a few years back.

You basically turn in agressively, let the front scrub some speed off and wait for the tyres to bite.

Alonso is at around 2 minutes.

Next time don't be so quick to dismiss things you don't understand.

The laws of physics are the still the same, at some point after scrubbing some speed the tyres WILL BITE.

Why Alonso doesn't employ it anymore then? He doesn't think it's the correct way to drive his current car, you would have to ask him for the specifics, but it definitely is a real world technique, many people use it in karting.

BTW, i've seen Maldonado do something similar on some particular corners.

Yes, either the tyres are within their grip limits or the front washes off.
Just because it doesn't affect you, or you've adapted doesn't mean it's not there.
Try steering agressively and see if the front bite.

BTW that's not my driving style, not at all, not even close, if anything it was very unnatural for me to steer agressively in F1 2011, i'm just sick of people dismissing things incorrectly (and telling people they can't drive) in their "quest" to defend their precious game.

That only sounds to me that they adjusted the grip outside of racing line little closer to racing line's. Hopefully not virtually the same, cause that would be just unrealistic and dismissing a nice realistic feature..
That was my concern... so there is less need now for drivers to have as much accuracy in their racing line... thats not as realistic then in my view. Good racers keep a tight line and thats how it should be. I am not the best of racers but I prefer how it currently is because it focusses me to drive a better line.

That was my concern... so there is less need now for drivers to have as much accuracy in their racing line... thats not as realistic then in my view. Good racers keep a tight line and thats how it should be. I am not the best of racers but I prefer how it currently is because it focusses me to drive a better line.

I would have been more pissed if they started screwing around with the car handling. I thought we may have been taking a step back towards mario cart

Turning the wheel agressively is actually a real life driving technique, employed by one Mr Fernando Alonso a few years back.

You basically turn in agressively, let the front scrub some speed off and wait for the tyres to bite.

Alonso is at around 2 minutes.

Next time don't be so quick to dismiss things you don't understand.

I admit that the are doing that both turn in aggressively.
But you can also see, that they do it for not more than a fraction of a second, before opening the steering lock to actually go around the corner. Especially Alonso doesn't 'wait until the tyres bite'.
Also you don't know if he's just warming the tyres.
What people complain about in the game is that you can't go around any corner just with full lock. And that doesn't neither alonso nor brundle do. but it was possible in F1 2011 and many people fail to see that F1 2012 is more realistic on that aspect.

It feels like there is more grip offline but only done a few laps, no more on the line though. Less understeer for sure but if you drove correctly before there is no difference.
there is a difference.

over 4000 hours on both previous series, and after racing in some of the classic tracks there was a massive amount of inconsistancy when it came to corners, some corners no matter how smooth, right gear and wheel angle you took it on the car would massively understeer and force you to slow down even more, but then 3 corners later it was just fine, so thats what they mean by "track info update" regarding the "understeer, which isn't a cars fault it was track itself.

Also the car set ups are ridicilous for 2012, the handling is fine, but car set up makes little to no sense when it comes to downforce and gear levels.

there is a difference.

over 4000 hours on both previous series, and after racing in some of the classic tracks there was a massive amount of inconsistancy when it came to corners, some corners no matter how smooth, right gear and wheel angle you took it on the car would massively understeer and force you to slow down even more, but then 3 corners later it was just fine, so thats what they mean by "track info update" regarding the "understeer, which isn't a cars fault it was track itself.

Also the car set ups are ridicilous for 2012, the handling is fine, but car set up makes little to no sense when it comes to downforce and gear levels.

That is exactly what I said. Nothing has changed if you stuck to the racing line anyway. Consistency is improved because even a small error won't punish you as much.

the only problem with the current system is that it basically forced drivers to have one "style".

Different drivers will use different entry points and what not to set up for the next set of corners or for a pass or whatever. The way the grip was initially, you just couldn't do that because if you "missed" the line the game said you should be on...you were cooked.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 28 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 6.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.2%