Unreal Engine 5 – What Could It Mean For Simracing?

I don't really see anything that addresses the issues Kunos faced with ghosting and stutters.

Don't think Kunos will be able to update the current engine either. It would be their next title if anything.

I would guess that they've already decided what engine they plan to use for their next piece of software. Maybe Epic convinced them UE5 will fix all their issues and they'll stick with UE.. I think they might prefer to stick with UE if possible, for a number of reasons. But it all depends on weather they can find work arounds for the problems they faced.

It does look pretty though.

It seems that blind people will be able to do sim racing with the Unreal Engine 5 in 16K on a black background. Braille controls will also be provided in the VR Kits and Iracing will have specific online competitions in anticipation of the 2024 Paris Olympics where all people, blind or not, will play on a black or colour background.

I confess: I'm a sucker for great visuals. So... Bring it on! By 2021, I'll be able to upgrade my PC! :geek:

I'm old enough to remember the days when this looked great:

1589562122316.png

The biggest thing for simracing I think it could be either the lighting or the ability to import directly CAD models into the engine.

The former could mean very realistic lighting for night racing conditions without really having to get super high-end hardware, the latter could mean that devs could just ask the companies for the CAD models and slap those directly into the game, cutting down a lot the time required to make the cars.
Not happening. CAD data is still too messy to put directly into the sim - there is way too much overlapping and non-matching of stuff like foliage, or when temporary stuff is getting in the way of key objects. Another reason is textures, yes you can photoscan the entire track but that will be counter the purpose even of the optimization of UE5, see they optimized polygon calculation so much to keep the amount of super-high-res maps to minumum, and that's what occupying the most of video memory. So you still have to map some shared textures around the track, and good luck doing that over CAD data. Still even time-consuming perspective, building "clean" models over CAD data is much more efficient. Yet. :)

TBH i would rather see how much FS2020 is capable for racing sims. It has much better sky & weather system and graphically that's what occupying 30% to 50% of screen space all the time in simracing. We don't need need the streamlining that much (although you can argue that it would allow avoiding modelling far away terrain and objects), but the majority of UE features we don't need anyway, stuff like interactive or breakable structures that change the lighting etc. We need very specific features instead, like rubber, dirt, marbles and skids buildup, very neutral and natural PP, optimization for big grids while having big physical fidelity etc. But the polycount & light calculation optimization in UE5 looks very very impressive.

Last edited:
You know, art is created by someone on planet earth. Some suck, some don't. If you leave me work on the new unreal 5, it will look like garbage

I like the tech involved in the engine.....tho it sounds like it will be a very expensive PC upgrade to run it....can only imagine what will be needed to run it in VR.

The VR side of things will get sorted when foveated rendering comes in with eye tracking. Less load, less of the current brute force approach.

Hopefully it arrives next gen. I still see CPU's being a bottle neck with all the funky physics though, that really is a kicker on the VR stuff that has loads of that going on. I'm sure UE5 will be pushing that further.

Unreal Engine 5 – What Could It Mean For Simracing?
5FPS Maybe ? and considering there not many titles using UE its not going to be a game changer not in the next 5 years anyways.

When I was involved in Project Cars the interesting aspect was the way they built the cars, from the high detailed LOD(X I believe), to LOD A,B,C,D all reducing in quality and poly counts etc. It was clearly a LOT of extra work for the graphics artists. Anything to shed that workload must be good.

Also the draw distance and eradication of "pop up" is something I'm greatly interested in. "pop up" is the bane of my life and I absolutely hate it...way more than bad AA. It destroys immersion to see objects/buildings/structures pop into existance in front of me...just horrible.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Watch party

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 0 0.0%