Unreal Engine 5 – What Could It Mean For Simracing?

Which has been a problem for a lot of console players on the baseline consoles with 500 GB drives (one of many articles about it: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-modern-warfares-file-size-is-getting-/1100-6476643/). And the PS5 will start at 825 GB, and the Series X at 1 TB. So if Unreal 5 will make games even bigger, baseline users might only be able to install 2-3 games at once. So that's gonna be a problem if they don't have an solution to that, and with only a few months before the next gen consoles launches, I'm not sure they have.

That is true. On the other hand, does one really need that many games, at one given time. Sure it's nice to be able to hop from game to game, but you can find a few good games and focus on them. I have just 3 games installed at the moment, in addition to racing sims. I barely even play 2 of them

This kind of "dedication" to one game seems to be the way of the future. Those drives will fill up quickly, if Modern Warfare is any indication

Of course juggling with installs will not be as easy, if a download for 1 re-install takes several days

'Holy Shite' :confused::geek:..that looks / sounds amazing, unfortunately I am not really a tech persons, but unless the Unreal 5 Devs have Sim Racers or other specific game titles in mind when developing this technology, good Triple Screen / VR etc not sure it will benefit Sim Racers.
...having said that 'Screen Shots' would be AMAZING :inlove::inlove::geek::geek::rolleyes::redface::roflmao:

I think Madness Engine is the engine for sim-racing to be at the moment.
Agree 100% :thumbsup::thumbsup:...it looks fantastic and it has good performance for Triple Screen and VR...and when Reiza puts their magic dust on the rest and it will be Unreal 6

Well, that demo looks stunning indeed, but I guess Unreal 5 games won't be available until 2022, so
for us sim-racers it'll probably be a longer wait yet, but time will come...

This quality graphics will make the enviroment of tracks look very realistic, with buildings, terrain, trees, grass and weather effects much more detailed than what we have now with ACC. So, what
can we say... great news, very welcome new technology.

By that time, developers will probably have bettered physics and FFB too, so I predict a very bright future for sim racing.

Oh, I forgot to mention a small detail: But, at what cost? What machine can move this kind of graphics? A GTX 3000 and a Ryzen 7 could?

Last edited:
That is true. On the other hand, does one really need that many games, at one given time. Sure it's nice to be able to hop from game to game, but you can find a few good games and focus on them. I have just 3 games installed at the moment, in addition to racing sims. I barely even play 2 of them

This kind of "dedication" to one game seems to be the way of the future. Those drives will fill up quickly, if Modern Warfare is any indication

Of course juggling with installs will not be as easy, if a download for 1 re-install takes several days
To each their own, I'm very much a "mood-player", one day I can feel or one game, next day another. Therefore I have probably 25-36 games installed (PC with 3TB HDD plus purely for gaming and some extra SDD space for my most played games, plus some are really small indie games :p ). But hey, we see how fast graphics are moving, surely compression technology has to become better as well. That would help easing the downloading problem. Still a storage problem, which could be solved using more drives (and I do think both PS5 and Series X supports that).

You'd probably need a 32 core CPU running at 5Ghz to run UE5 with all the physics.

Note really, that UE5 demo was running off of PS5 hardware.
But its still misleading because you would need multiple GB's of data pumped through the bus. Far more than PCI E 5.0 (limited to 63 gigs back and forth).

PCI E 6 coming out in 2021 has 128gb back and forth.
NO way your are pumping billions and billions of triangles with a 64gb lane. So the new consoles must have an incredibly fast bus, and you have to have SSD chips that will fill it.

So on the PC side? its gonna be a while.

Seeing as Unreal is quite wholly unsuited to large scenes with long drawdistances while still maintaining efficiency; probably nothing IMO. ACC already proves that Unreal is a really bad pick for a title like this.

Graphics look and sound nice, but being a PC gamer, I cant see myself again dishing out a bundle of money on buying new faster compatible hardware just to do gaming anymore. Even with my I7 and GTX1080 allot of the modern games I have are run with several features turned down or off. Every year they keep upping the minimum PC standards for playing games. So I will just sit back and see where gaming requirements are needed for future gaming.

Why do so many people think there's no LOD or no pop-up with the technology? Even in the tech demo, there absolutely is.

Put that stuff into an actual game and there will be a lot more, because you'll also have to run the game itself on top of the graphics stuff, not just what is essentially a movie rendered in real-time.

The idea to have the hundreds of high quality models with million of triangles, directly imported without the need to reduce the polycount or making LODs, is just amazing!
Then all the lighting stuff, the 8K textures, the physics, without impacting negatively on the PC specs, it's just WOW!
I really hope Kunos will benefit from this update with a newer title (AC 2.0 or whatever it will be called) or will receive somewhere in the future, at some point, an update to UE5 for ACC.

Why do so many people think there's no LOD or no pop-up with the technology? Even in the tech demo, there absolutely is.

Put that stuff into an actual game and there will be a lot more, because you'll also have to run the game itself on top of the graphics stuff, not just what is essentially a movie rendered in real-time.

Perhaps you should re-watch and listen at the 6:00 mark. No authored LOD's. Also when going into the next room, its " 16 billion" triangles and no LOD's or reduction in detail. And theres no popup or in anywhere in that demo.

Perhaps you should re-watch and listen at the 6:00 mark. No authored LOD's.
No authored LODs doesn't mean there's no LODs. They're just autogenerated by the engine from the high detail models. It would be a crazy waste of performance and memory to not scale down detail with distance.

But you're right about the popup, I misremembered it. There's "popup", but it's related to ligthing/reflections, not detail.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 465 70.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 283 42.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 306 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 135 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 180 27.1%
Back