Which Fanatec DD are you buying and why?

I couldn’t see this type of post anywhere and as I’m undecided on a DD1 or the PS4 version for extra compatibility right now thought I’d put this up, forgive me if it’s already been done.

FWIW, RC Helis settled on out-runners years ago. I did own an in-runner 7 years ago, but it burnt up on me. When I replaced it with an out-runner it was MUCH more powerful and held speeds much better for me. In runners did tend to be narrower.

Not really an apples to apples comparison, but I've had great luck with out-runners.All my helis currently run out-runners like the one below and I don't know of any in-runners still being available.
Pyro650magnets.jpg
Pyro650windings.jpg

Upvote 0
The induction coil solution for transmitting power wirelessly looks like a great solution for this application. It does allow them to have a lot more power available on demand than a battery solution that doesn't involve larger rechargeable battery packs. So far the tech on this looks pretty good.

That said I've been watching some video of other direct drive users needing to go for that shut off switch on various makes of direct drive systems. I have to ask you guys with direct drive systems, how many times have you had your wheel shutter dangerously requiring you go hit the shut off, or just pull your hands away from the wheel to avoid injury.

Upvote 0
The induction coil solution for transmitting power wirelessly looks like a great solution for this application. It does allow them to have a lot more power available on demand than a battery solution that doesn't involve larger rechargeable battery packs. So far the tech on this looks pretty good.

That said I've been watching some video of other direct drive users needing to go for that shut off switch on various makes of direct drive systems. I have to ask you guys with direct drive systems, how many times have you had your wheel shutter dangerously requiring you go hit the shut off, or just pull your hands away from the wheel to avoid injury.
Curious to hear peoples thoughts on this. The DD1 doesn't come with a kill switch and it's not available on the Fanatec webshop yet.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I believe SC wireless solution requires quarter size non rechargeable battery with life expectancy of 3 years.
To use emergency stop or take hands off the wheel? A few times on a slow day. :)

Upvote 0

It can happen, especially if a USB-disconnect occurs or the game freezes. Some titles may have issues with not curtailing the FFB-signal cleanly when exiting a session. All of these are potential hazards - especially when running high-FFB settings.

At the force settings I run (40-50% capacity of 20Nm SimuCube), I've only felt the need to use the kill-switch a few times over the last couple of years. In most cases, I can hold the wheel until the signal is cut but, if it doesn't stop after a couple of seconds, I'll hit the switch.

Running a DD-wheel at very high force settings can demonstrate the need for following real-life racing habits during contact incidents with walls, Armco's and other obstacles. Not wrapping thumbs and knowing when to let go of the wheel become real things to practice in Sim-racing.

Upvote 0
There is bias on the listener's end categorizing a statement as either a jab or differentiating their product and its strengths compared to the competition.

We will find out more as the days go on.
I suspect we will hear more about the SimCube as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, that sounds ridiculous. What other voodoo ritual we need to follow to make everything work. Hope they didn't count that as improper use of the product and honored warranty.

That’s a ritual you should always do with high power devices or anything sensitive like PC’s or amplifiers, whatever, it might be fine but not a great idea, it’s like plugging the power cable into the motherboard while the PSU is on and connected to the mains, might be ok, but definitely not recommended.

Anyway, what exactly happened as that forum isn’t English and even with translation it’s not clear and I can’t see the picture someone posted either.

Upvote 0
I believe SC wireless solution requires quarter size non rechargeable battery with life expectancy of 3 years.
To use emergency stop or take hands off the wheel? A few times on a slow day. :)

Exactly why I mentioned large rechargable batteries. There is no way that the SC wireless solution could run things like rumble motors in a steering wheel or any large LED displays. The quarter sized battery would run down very quickly. For that you would need to run a wire, or use an inductive coil approach like Fanatec did, or use larger rechargable batteries.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Rumble motors in a steering wheel? That should work well. :laugh:

Upvote 0

I seriously doubt any direct drive steering wheel requires rumble motors, but they do exist in steering wheels and some people may want to make use of them. I suspect it is a different sensation.

How long do you think that quarter size battery would run this display? Being able to run a $2500 steering wheel is one of the benefits of running an OSW steering wheel ( meant in earnest, no sarcasm ) I assume that you could still mount a USB connector on a SimCube to run this.

My point is that you have lots of options when there is ample power available and if Fanatec ever made a wheel with a large display, it would still be wireless.
(And before you say anything, I realize in VR it doesn't matter, but to some people it does)
GPX+Shop.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BTW that high torque USB plug that goes in the back is a pretty good idea.

I might be comfortable playing with the torque settings up pretty well, but when my nephew comes over, who LOVES my racing sim, I could simply pull that plug and not worry about him snapping his wrists.

The last time he was here, his Mom asked him to head outside with a few of us and he was like, "You don't understand, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity." The boy was in heaven and now they are moving nearby so I suspect he'll be by more often.

He learned the basics of driving a stick last time he was here and somehow never got sick playing Dirt Rally in VR. I was impressed.

Upvote 0
Reply from Thomas to the PSU issue.
Hello Daniel,

I give you completely right. Although all power supplies get a burn in test for at least 2 hours, this just should not happen.

It is the first case so far and we will examine the power supply first. If that happens again then that is a reason to stop the delivery.

I am very sorry for the impertinence and I am glad that did not happen anymore.

Hope with the replacement power supply, it is finally on the track and wish you much fun with it.

Thomas

Upvote 0
Quite funny how they use every opportunity to jab at "other DD wheel manufacturers" in that video.:poop:
They do this in every video. In this sense we can rename their quick release to slow release, at least for now because they plan entirely new QR.
''Full backwards compatibility
Our proven automotive grade QR has been upgraded with a new locking system, retaining compatibility with all existing Fanatec steering wheels, while also being completely interchangeable. All new wheel bases and steering wheels will have changeable quick releases; in the future you will have the option to upgrade to a new QR system.''

Upvote 0
Hopefully the next video will cover software configuration. That should be very interesting as we get SimCube and AccuForce people comparing notes. Hopefully that will be a useful exchange that doesn't degrade to name calling.

Upvote 0
Hopefully the next video will cover software configuration. That should be very interesting as we get SimCube and AccuForce people comparing notes. Hopefully that will be a useful exchange that doesn't degrade to name calling.

Could be used to help deliver effects like "wheel slip" "engine/gear" sensations or "tyre flat spot" if supported from telemetry data. I would assume do things, similar to what Shakeit can do with rumble motors.

Lets see what their software offers before being too critical of it actually having something other hardware options perhaps don't. Although how "worth" or much "benefit" it will bring may be down to user preferences.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

It is still off the shelf motor, maybe with some altered spec, they did not create outrunner design.
It would have been more informative without all these cheesy "unlike others", what are you SMS?
Who are these "others" anyway, there are no consumer grade DD manufacturers except SimXperience.
Or did they compare to OSW, DIY SC1 kit, or soon to be available SC2, may be Leo Bodnar SimSteering?
All of them as they probably got their hands on all to evaluate against their product, hard to tell really?
Tell us what is good about your product, not what you "think" is not with competitor's, esp. with absolutely no track record or experience in the field you are entering.
In US we have a law against this type of Comparative Advertisement
Lanham Act, which states that one could incur liability when the message of the comparative advertisement is untrue or uncertain, but has the intention to deceive consumers through the implied message conveyed.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 31 8.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Yearly

Votes: 28 7.7%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.7%