Who's guilt? Phowley or Petukhov?

Hello guys! Need help...

Petukhov suggests that Phowley started braking TOO early (about 230-220m) and Phowley is guilty.

Phowley suggests that Krasovskyi was too close to him and Phowley slowed down his car (not full brake! see the braking indicator). Krasovskyi slowed down too on 220m. Plus Phowley suggests that there were 30+ racers and he tried to brake more accurately than usual to avoid T1 crash.

Who's right? Thank in advance!!!

Hi mate :)
I would blame Petukhov here only. Phowley did everything right. Especially at the first lap you've to be much more careful. In addition it is Monza turn1 and like you said a 30+ grid.

Maybe interesting for you:
We've a thread about this kind of incidents in the off. forum:

Greets After_Midnight

I would say Krasovskyi has to share some of the blame ( maybe most of it ) as it looked like he was trying to shut the door Phowley forcing Phowley to brake, Petukhov should of reacted a little quicker then he did and thats the only blame he has to share. We could say that all Phowley needed to do was lift up on the throttle or just a quick tap on the brakes but if he believed he was going to be hit by Krasovskyi his braking action was perfectly justified.

Ultimately the crash happened as a result of Krasovskyi aggressive actions on track and both Phowley and Petukhov became the victims and should share no blame. The only reason why i would say that is because of this.. if Krasovskyi drove in a straight line and kept that line do you think the crash would of happened.

Would of love to of seen the incident from around the 2 minute mark and onwards as it did look like Krasovskyi and Phowley did make contact right at the start of the video.

Completely standard fare at Monza on lap 1 on a public server. You have to (and I've learnt this from bitter experience) approach T1 with caution on lap 1. Simple as that. You need to be prepared to lift and/or brake early, particularly if you're back in the pack if you want any chance of making the approach to T1 and getting through it cleanly. Petukhov should have lifted, if you want to apportion blame. You could say that Krasovskyi was squeezing Phowley but then he has one eye on One to his right. Played back at full speed this is probably not much more than a racing incident where you'd just shrug your shoulders and blame can't really be laid at any one particular driver's door.

Phowleys fault. He brakes way too early, especially considering there's no one directly in front of him. If you brake earlier than the cars around you in T1, you need to recognize that and ease off your brake pedal accordingly.

I doubt he's braking for T1 though. He's braking to avoid Krasovskyi, who is squeezing him. Perhaps a lift would have been more appropriate. Without pedal position traces we don't know if he's covering brake and throttle to avoid lifting.

Petukhov had a very slow reaction, but Phowley braked way too hard way too early, nobody would expect that. Being overly cautions can be just as dangerous and being super aggressive, depending on the situation. He should have just lifted and/or slightly touched the brakes, hard braking on T1 that far away from the braking point on lap 1 is asking for trouble.

I have replied to this on the official forums, but again I would say Petukhov is to blame.
Its L1, T1 on Monza, and EVERYONE knows its going to be a car park.
You HAVE TO slow down and be prepared to STOP.
Not only that, but cars ahead of you have earned their right to be ahead of you (providing they have done some Q laps), so being at the back of the pack you have to also respect that by not going into them, no matter what they do (within reason of course).

Bang on, Thug

Edit: if you haven't been at the back of the pack on a public server at Monza, Thug isn't joking about it being a car park. The further back you go, the worse it gets. It's hilarious as if you want to be clean you pretty much have to stop and then crawl along until you're clear of the chicane

Last edited:
Yeah, but it wasn't T1, it was way before T1...
Yeah, but it was the run up to T1, with a congested grid of other cars.
There is always going to be carnage if you are not careful.
Without T1 approaching it probably wouldn't have happened.
That was my point.

It looks as if it starts just around the 200m mark, which is about right for slowing down on T1 L1 (if not earlier when at the back). On other laps with an empty road its usually around the 150m mark, so 200m+ is about right for the first lap.

Yeah, but it was the run up to T1, with a congested grid of other cars.
There is always going to be carnage if you are not careful.
Without T1 approaching it probably wouldn't have happened.
That was my point.

It looks as if it starts just around the 200m mark, which is about right for slowing down on T1 L1 (if not earlier when at the back). On other laps with an empty road its usually around the 150m mark, so 200m+ is about right for the first lap.
No, being too careful also results in carnage. And no again, you do not brake at 200m, on the contrary, you can even brake later than 150m because you are not approaching it as fast as in a regular lap.

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 34 47.9%
  • Porsche

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • BMW

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • McLaren

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Toyota

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • Intel

Votes: 10 14.1%