Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

Will the 10GB possibility be a limitation for those who have a higher end HMD like the G2 with cranked up SS settings.

I'm not clued into the finer details of these things and thought I'd ask the experts.

Will the 10GB possibility be a limitation for those who have a higher end HMD like the G2 with cranked up SS settings.

I've been trying some non-rigorous(*) experiments with my triple 4k monitors on a GTX 1080 to see how much VRAM each of the sims want to use with MSI Afterburner (free). rF2 has been the hog so far, using all that is available of my 8 GB. ACC only wanted 6-7 GB. Everything else has been happy to stay in the 4 GB range. So, for triple monitors, I think people will generally be okay with 10 GB VRAM.

So... make of it what you will and strongly urge you to do your own measurements for VR!

(*) Graphic settings merely being what I've already determined allowed me acceptable fps, so they vary between titles and none are turned up to the max/ultra/whatever.

Still in a holding pattern... too much froth in the market with lots of new product on the horizon. Waiting to see what the Ryzen 5000 series brings to the table along with BigNavi. Timeline for completion of the build has probably been pushed back into early 2021 so long as my current system doesn't go under before then.

I'm not clued into the finer details of these things and thought I'd ask the experts.
Probably not. According to the official Nvidia faq about the 3080 launch, the current triple AAA games only take 4-6 GB in 4k, even with super-duper texture packs.

The people who know stuff repeat frequently, that memory allocation and real memory usage/need are not the same thing!

Call of duty being a good example apparently. It always takes the maximum available. 2080ti? 11gb!
960 with 4gb? 4gb!

But when you compare frame times you don't see anything that hints towards a vram issue.
The fps are as they should be according to raw chip performance and the frame times don't show any spikes, apart from the spikes that are also there with a 2080ti.

The current sims and probably future sims load a lot of textures due to the high speeds through the virtual world but just because you have 4k per eye or whatever doesn't mean that the texture size gets doubled.

And even if you can't load the whole track into the vram at once, it doesn't mean that you'll have frame time spikes.
10gb are plenty enough if the coders aren't completely screw up the streaming..

Especially with gddr6X you have enough performance at hands to constantly stream new stuff.

from PCgamer .....

Nvidia says its store will be a better place to shop come the RTX 3090 launch on Thursday, September 24, and the RTX 3070 launch in October. Nvidia has shifted its online store to a dedicated environment, streamlined code for protect its servers from crashing, integrated a CAPTCHA at checkout, increased capacity, and added further bot protection and security to avoid a rerun of the 3080 chaos, which saw cards sell out within seconds of availability going live.

Nvidia has also cancelled hundreds of orders from known resellers manually in order to free up space for genuine customers.

on your mark....ready.... get set.....GO!

Last edited:
Amazon.de order canceled by them.
Well.. I'd rather want a tuf anyway..
Let's see if I'll get one before Christmas, lol
Yep Amazon.nl also cancelled a lot of (Zotac) RTX 3080 orders. I still have a back order at one of the launching local partners. I'm on place 159 and they received a massive three cards today. If it is lineair well we can do the math. So hopefully Jensen and friends ramp up production, logistics etc or otherwise it might be an AMD. Not that they care ;)

Last edited:
You guys don't fancy AIO cards?
Air cooling only for me. My system is mainly for homeoffice work and I want it completely silent.
During basic tasks, my system is passively cooled.
During a bit more intensive tasks, the fans spin to their minimum speed and aren't really detectable either...
I have 4x be quiet silent wings 140mm and the "Le Grand Macho RT" from Thermalright.

I don't think you can achieve this with standing still pumps?
I never saw a test but in theory it might work that the water gets warm throughout and the radiator is cooling enough passively? Surely not as effective as a cooling block sitting on the cpu but I'd say it could work...

• Deleted member 197115

Air cooling only for me. My system is mainly for homeoffice work and I want it completely silent.
During basic tasks, my system is passively cooled.
During a bit more intensive tasks, the fans spin to their minimum speed and aren't really detectable either...
I have 4x be quiet silent wings 140mm and the "Le Grand Macho RT" from Thermalright.

I don't think you can achieve this with standing still pumps?
I never saw a test but in theory it might work that the water gets warm throughout and the radiator is cooling enough passively? Surely not as effective as a cooling block sitting on the cpu but I'd say it could work...
At idle and moderate load AIO is quieter than air counterpart, at high load radiator fan pushing air through fins can be pretty loud. For the pump, you will never hear it.
@EsxPaul, sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Was it CPU or GPU AIO, what brand, so we know what to avoid?

Last edited by a moderator:
At idle and moderate load AIO is quieter than air counterpart, at high load radiator fan pushing air through fins can be pretty loud. For the pump, you will never hear it.
@EsxPaul, sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Was it CPU or GPU AIO, what brand, so we know what to avoid?
Might be.. Never needed to switch to watercooling yet.
How can not spinning fans and passive cooling blocks be louder than an actively working pump though?

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 473 70.3%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 286 42.5%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 309 45.9%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 137 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 181 26.9%
Back