Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

• Deleted member 197115

Might be.. Never needed to switch to watercooling yet.
How can not spinning fans and passive cooling blocks be louder than an actively working pump though?
I have never heard the pump on GPU or CPU cooler, guess the level is too low to go through the case.

@EsxPaul, sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Was it CPU or GPU AIO, what brand, so we know what to avoid?

It was a Deepcool CPU cooler and it failed within a week of installation.

20180626_212459.jpg

To be fair to them, they did compensate me for the damaged hardware after I had sent them a video documenting the damage and copies of reciepts.

• Deleted member 197115

Thanks Paul, honestly never even heard of that brand, looks awful on picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, between 6:15 & 6:20, I could get one into the shopping cart, but checking out was impossible.

Best Buy offered me the PNY version, but I elected not to pay a $100 premium. Newegg appears to have the Zotac now, but I'm not tempted [showing out of stock now].

[edit #2 - Best Buy will sell you a whole computer with a 3090, AMD or Intel, but the cards are out of stock]

Last edited:
I bagged an Asus 3090 ROG Strix OC from Scan in the UK. Expected delivery around the 5th October. I'll sit on the purchase for a few days and consider whether I'd be better off buying a new PC with Ryzen 3950x and a 3080 instead. I'm sure cancelling the order won't be an issue. I won't take delivery and stick it on eBay, that feels like a dick move to me.

With the massive shortage and stability issues driving availability, I'm waiting to see what AMD has in hand. If they deliver a card with less than 10% performance loss compared to RTX3080...for at least a $50 saving and with good solid drivers, I'll probably go that route. In any event, I won't be rushing this purchase out of desperation. I thought I was going to have to take a break from simracing after selling my main GPU in anticipation of the current release. I was able to substitute an old Zotac 4gb GTX770 with upgraded dual ball bearing fans. I am still able to play every single title I was playing before...including ACC, despite being at reduced detail.

Last edited:
It seems I was 'lucky*' with the 3090 launch and I was able to order one. First seeing is believing. Meanwhile cancelled my 3080 pre order at the local reseller.
Now I have to buy some big, very big, bouquet of flowers for my wife who will come home from a day of hard working soonish. Pray for me please ;)

* lucky: €1550 for a GPU....insane world and I'm part of it.

Last edited:
£1,700 for an Asus Rog 3090, order confirmed.

I just priced up a new PC, Ryzen 3950x, 32GB Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz RAM, RTX 380. Everything I need and no monitor, keyboard etc. as I'm good there. £2,700.

So, decision time. Will be current 8700k PC be a bottleneck for the 3090 and will the extra 10% - 15% from the 3090 be bettered by just having a new PC? ****ed if I know...

So, decision time. Will be current 8700k PC be a bottleneck for the 3090 and will the extra 10% - 15% from the 3090 be bettered by just having a new PC? ****ed if I know...

I wouldnt buy a 3950x with the 4950x (or 5950x whatever it ends up being called) just round the corner. New amd Zen 3 cpus announced in 2 weeks time which allegidly have a 20% gain. Also dont get a 16 core unless you use it for work. A 4800x 8 core makes more sense and will boost higher for gaming. Also what screens you running? 1080p will bottleneck hard on those gpus.

I wouldnt buy a 3950x with the 4950x (or 5950x whatever it ends up being called) just round the corner. New amd Zen 3 cpus announced in 2 weeks time which allegidly have a 20% gain. Also dont get a 16 core unless you use it for work. A 4800x 8 core makes more sense and will boost higher for gaming. Also what screens you running? 1080p will bottleneck hard on those gpus.
I have also ordered a 3090, will be using triple 1440. Looking to get a Zen 3 when they come out but using a R5 3600 currently.
Could you explain what you mean by bottlenecking? I have a basic understanding.

have also ordered a 3090, will be using triple 1440. Looking to get a Zen 3 when they come out but using a R5 3600 currently.
Could you explain what you mean by bottlenecking? I have a basic understanding.

There are two types, cpu bottlenecking and gpu bottlenecking. And its entirely dependant on what monitor setup you use.
With a CPU bottleneck depending on the game the cpu has to keep up with the gpu in terms of speed to display the frames. Its only really relevant if you run 1080p and 1440p at high refresh rates well over 60fps. You will know a cpu bottleneck if you look at your system resources and the gpu is not close to 100%.

If you are running triple 1440p you will be gpu bottlenecked i.e. the cpu will likely be ok but the gpu will be flat out instead. So in your instance you should be OK. Triples are still hard on the cpu as its triple the work, so again game dependant on how well its optimised.

Some people though want high refresh 144hz+ triple monitor experience and thats when the boost speed of the cpu comes into play.

thanks @Trebormoore84, I've been an Intel fanboi for far too long to have followed any release plans from AMD, certainly worth waiting a few weeks to see what arrives from their CPU's if I decide to go down the new PC with a 3080 route. Also the reduction in cores makes sense, it's why I picked the 8700k when I did rather than going for an i9, so I guess mutli-threading and windows scheduler haven't improved that much in three years.

Screen wise I'm using an ultrawide so 3440x1440 and can run at 100Mhz native but has the ability to overclock to 120Mhz. The 3080 will, I'm sure, be ok with that, but I'm getting a G2 VR headset which might start to put a bit more pressure on things.

Screen wise I'm using an ultrawide so 3440x1440 and can run at 100Mhz native but has the ability to overclock to 120Mhz. The 3080 will, I'm sure, be ok with that, but I'm getting a G2 VR headset which might start to put a bit more pressure on things.

Your current setup should be OK I think on the ultrawide I.e. a dual 1440p setup. Best thing is try and get a overlay like MSI afterburner running while your in sim and see what the gpu and cpu are doing with different settings.

G2 headset, I dont know tbh, I'm sure its going to be hard on both cpu and gpu. Combined resolution of each eye is higher than 4k I think on that so gpu will be pushed for sure. Not an expert on vr though. But likely would need the best single thread speed cpu you can get your hands on to keep a solid 90fps. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in.

Your current setup should be OK I think on the ultrawide I.e. a dual 1440p setup. Best thing is try and get a overlay like MSI afterburner running while your in sim and see what the gpu and cpu are doing with different settings.

G2 headset, I dont know tbh, I'm sure its going to be hard on both cpu and gpu. Combined resolution of each eye is higher than 4k I think on that so gpu will be pushed for sure. Not an expert on vr though. But likely would need the best single thread speed cpu you can get your hands on to keep a solid 90fps. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in.

Thanks again, really, really useful information and a great point for me to do some additional research. Top man!

Thanks @Trebormoore84 for that, it’s tricky to get the answers for triple monitors. I am using 144hz monitors so the zen 3 will be welcome.

Yes its tricky. Ok triple 1440p 144hz is going to be hard to drive even with a 3080 and 10900k as per discussion in this thread, its something like 1.5x harder than 4k. So its gpu limited at high settings and then cpu limited when you lower them to get higher fps. Dan suzuki was getting 75-120fps in iracing, but acc was below 60fps using epic settings. Will need a fair amount of tuning your settings, but sure there will be a nice balance somewhere.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 473 70.3%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 286 42.5%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 309 45.9%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 137 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 181 26.9%
Back