Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

I'm currently waiting in their "Step Up" queue to move from a XC3 to FTW card. Got lucky with the XC3 but ideally would rather have the FTW's higher power delivery/overclock. Cards are still slow in the pipeline, but hopefully will come through before October(ish).

Last edited:
I was added to the EVGA wait list on October 6th, 2020. I am scheduled to receive the card on August 30th, 2021. That is 328 days of wait time. I am getting the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 10G-P5-3897-KL.

Lots available my store but for me they still too dear $2,500AU
Really no reason for me still using pancake 1440p ( GTX 2080 OC )

Yesterday my gaming monitor ( LG 32" Gsync) would not boot so I ordered 34" ultra wide 3840 gsync for $1500AU and was contemplating a 3080 as well

Then the store froze my order ( and paypal) because I was using a VPN, never had this happen 50 online stores

So I told them to stick their monitor and store

Bored I pulled my monitor box from back of cupboard sticker said delivered 19-09-2018

Went and had a look online and strike me down the warranty was 3 years a few weeks left
Rang LG service centre they came picked up monitor from home

So saved me $4,000 glad I checked :coffee:

Last edited:
Lots available my store but for me they still too dear $2,500AU
Really no reason for me still using pancake 1440p ( GTX 2080 OC )

Yesterday my gaming monitor ( LG 32" Gsync) would not boot so I ordered 34" ultra wide 3840 gsync for $1500AU and was contemplating a 3080 as well

Then the store froze my order ( and paypal) because I was using a VPN, never had this happen 50 online stores

So I told them to stick their monitor and store

Bored I pulled my monitor box from back of cupboard sticker said delivered 19-09-2018

Went and had a look online and strike me down the warranty was 3 years a few weeks left
Rang LG service centre they came picked up monitor from home

So saved me $4,000 glad I checked :coffee:
Crossing fingers for a quick warranty service!
Thanks to that VPN hehe

• Deleted member 197115

4K, 30 FPS, DirectX Raytracing On

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X – 3.7 GHZ or Intel i7-10700k – 3.8 GHZ

GPU: AMD RX 6800 – 16 GB or NVIDIA RTX 3080 – 10 GB

RAM: 16 GB (Dual-channel mode)

Storage: 60 GB HDD (SSD Recommended) + 37 GB for HD textures (optional)

RayTracing, on some titles it just kills PC without noticeable visual quality improvement, e.g. Cyberpunk 2077, 3080Ti can't even do 45fps without resorting to DLSS which turns everything into mush.
With RT off, everything can be maxed out and run at comfortable 60-100 fps.

BTW, FC6 is quite embarrassing visually comparing to what other titles offering today, like Days Gone, RDR2, HZD, same image quality as FC5, really?

Last edited by a moderator:
RayTracing, on some titles it just kills PC without noticeable visual quality improvement, e.g. Cyberpunk 2077, 3080Ti can't even do 45fps without resorting to DLSS which turns everything into mush.
With RT off, everything can be maxed out and run at comfortable 60-100 fps.

BTW, FC6 is quite embarrassing visually comparing to what other titles offering today, like Days Gone, RDR2, HZD, same image quality as FC5, really?
And then you have shadow of the tomb raider, where RT shadows transform the game and only cost about 15% fps or less compared to the highest normal shadow quality.
Especially the jungle looks a lot different.

I agree though.. Overall ray tracing is something for Screenshots in most games.
Dlss can be awesome or "meh".

What I really like about RT shadows in some games:
I am often annoyed by pixel crawling /shimmering/flickering/aliasing, whatever you wanna call it by shadow edges.
RT shadows make these a lot softer.
For example world of Warcraft is awesome with RT shadows!

• Deleted member 197115

Doom Eternal and COD Cold War and MW have RT, but visually not much difference. COD also locks AA at Filmic SMAA T2X which makes things quite blurry. As far as DLSS goes, surprisingly FSR seems to be doing a better job, not sure how as they can't use Tenor cores for calculations or "deep learning neural network" (sounds impressive, isn't it) AI as NVidia does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I'd post a comparison Screenshots I took a few months ago since derailing on page 48 should be okay.
Fps capped to 60, resolution is 1920x1080., I forgot if I had DLSS enabled or not...

To be fair, I don't know what I find "prettier". The RT shadows look a bit more "bland" and less "HD" you could say. However I like how the backside of the tree is shadowed, the shadows at the lower right are a lot smoother and how the back of the character is shadowed more realistically.
If you go back and forth with the arrow keys, the difference is massive.
If you just look at the two previews, the non-RT looks prettier I'd say.

However when you actually play, the whole image is a lot smoother and calm without small shadows jumping around.

Non-RT:
photo_2021-09-06_22-32-57.jpg

RT:
photo_2021-09-06_22-33-04.jpg

Last edited:
Just thought I'd post a comparison Screenshots I took a few months ago since derailing on page 48 should be okay.
Fps capped to 60, resolution is 1920x1080., I forgot if I had DLSS enabled or not...

To be fair, I don't know what I find "prettier". The RT shadows look a bit more "bland" and less "HD" you could say. However I like how the backside of the tree is shadowed, the shadows at the lower right are a lot smoother and how the back of the character is shadowed more realistically.
If you go back and forth with the arrow keys, the difference is massive.
If you just look at the two previews, the non-RT looks prettier I'd say.

However when you actually play, the whole image is a lot smoother and calm without small shadows jumping around.

Non-RT:
View attachment 501129

RT:
View attachment 501130
Could not see any difference lol.
Happy with my GTX 1070.

Could not see any difference lol.
Happy with my GTX 1070.
Hehe, you really need to click on one Screenshot and then go back and forth with the arrow keys (or the little arrows left and right on the screen).
Then the difference will become very clear.

But as I said, both look really good imo. Just different.

The RT looks like much more diffuse lighting. The other looks a bit harsh.
And when you're actually playing, the scene has much more depth. When you're passing that tree, the shadows evolve more realistically than the normal shadows.

It's not really impressive on Screenshots though, where it looks a bit like less "wow" contrast and details and instead like you simply painted most of the image gray to soft-black :cautious::roflmao:

I might do a short video walking around. Didn't really play the game yet though.. Which shows that tech demos are nice but the content still matters a lot more to keep you actually playing...

And when you're actually playing, the scene has much more depth. When you're passing that tree, the shadows evolve more realistically than the normal shadows.
I'd say it's the kind of thing that once you get used to RT shadows you'd really notice the difference once you went back to non RT. It's kind of subtle.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.3%