AC XMAS SPECIAL GT3 @ Kyalami - Wednesday 18 2019

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Well, that's my point. There isn't much strategies to a sprint race like this, unless the fuel and tyrewear are scaled accordingly.

If you want to bore yourself to death, do a 1 liter splash and go in the 650s on mediums. You can beat a lot of people simply by saving the time in pits.

60mins of no fun allowed.

If you want to bore yourself to death, do a 1 liter splash and go in the 650s on mediums.

60mins of no fun allowed.

Meaning it's not possible in the 650?

But else, exactly: the grid will split in those doing an actual pitstop and those taking a 1sec stop n go.

Last edited:
Meaning it's not possible in the 650?

But else, exactly: the grid will split in those doing an actual pitstop and those taking a 1sec stop n go.

No I mean that's really the only valid strategy in a 650s to maximize your results but driving that car with 90 liters of fuel is just unpleasant. When the fuel does go down, your tires are also degrading so then you're just nursing the car around the track for 60mins.

Semi joking, turn off tire and fuel wear. Let's do 60mins balls to wall the hot laps. It's a luxury we get in video games and not in real life.

Yeah, I'm on the same page. Either make a reason to pit or save the trouble.
If we keep it as is, I just want to let the guys thinking they can win 20-25 seconds back in a sprint race like this by changing tyres, are wrong.

Well, that's my point. There isn't much strategies to a sprint race like this, unless the fuel and tyrewear are scaled accordingly.

As someone who raced here for quite a few years doing 60 minutes of GT3, I can tell you the strategy maybe isn't as obvious in these events, but it is rather critical, so I disagree with your premise that it's a "sprint race" :)

Knowing your car's fuel consumption relative to others, how aggressive you are with your expectations around the importance of track position vs. theoretical time, and your tyre management all mean with the right strategy you can get a really big gain. I remember calculating in previous races up to 20 second theoretical delta from optimal pit strategy to least optimal, which is huge.

I've had a number of race battles with @Aksu where pit stop strategy determined who would win the race, so I'm not sure this is true. And believe me -- in many of these races the theoretically optimal strategy both on paper and in practice is not simply just to put in 1L, even in the 650s. I can't count the number of races Aki won while using soft 50% fuel + soft 50% fuel strategy... ;)

Last edited:
As someone who raced here for quite a few years doing 60 minutes of GT3, I can tell you the strategy maybe isn't as obvious in these events, but it is rather critical, so I disagree with your premise that it's a "sprint race" :)

Knowing your car's fuel consumption relative to others, your expectations around the importance of track position vs. theoretical time, and your tyre management all mean with the right strategy you can get a really big gain. I remember calculating in previous races up to 20 second theoretical delta from optimal pit strategy to least optimal, which is huge.

I've had a number of race battles with @Aksu where pit stop strategy determined who would win the race (and believe me in many of these races the theoretically optimal strategy is not just to put in 1L, I can't count the number of races Aki won while using soft 50%l + soft 50%l strategy), so I'm not sure this is true ;)

Thanks for the thoughtful answer, appreciated :)
I might be rusty, but not new to racing, and I've also raced Aksu quite a bit in one season :p
It just takes ages to swap tyres, and many car/track comboes hardly wear them more than 40-50% during 30-35 laps, but you're right that it depends. I admit, I've done zero testing in the GT3 field for many years in AC, so I don't remember pros/cons.
In this particular combo tonite, it does seem as 1L-stop is the fastest, by a large margin, but I could be wrong. I have no time to do a full race practice, so it's rock or bust for me :D

In this particular combo tonite, it does seem as 1L-stop is the fastest, by a large margin, but I could be wrong. I have no time to do a full race practice, so it's rock or bust for me

With this strategy one would assume you are on mediums which are what 1-2 seconds a lap slower than softs ...you must also remember in AC that both the fuel and tires are done at the same time. I believe that with a forced pitstop, strategy comes into play, meaning it is not just about how fast you can lap.

btw, I hope you all know I'm just bringing it up for discussion, not to rant on the format. There might also be some that didn't realize that not swapping tyres and putting on JUST 1L could actually be viable. I'll leave it up for people to test for sure.

See you tonite guys :thumbsup::thumbsup:

In this particular combo tonite, it does seem as 1L-stop is the fastest, by a large margin, but I could be wrong.

The problem is that's really dependent on your driving style. I remember back in the early days every single race I did was 1L and I thought it was the best, but that's because I didn't learn to make the best use of the tyres with lower fuel loads yet.

As I spent longer and longer driving the 650s I learned that 1L strategy is usually only the fastest until you manage to learn how to really push the car to the limit without sacrificing tyre wear throughout the race (except in some minority of races which are really only fuel limited). I don't really know your driving style so can't comment, but from my personal experience I have ~700 hours driving it and I can confidently say that I'm still learning things about the 650s every time I drive it :)

With this strategy one would assume you are on mediums which are what 1-2 seconds a lap slower than softs ...you must also remember in AC that both the fuel and tires are done at the same time. I believe that with a forced pitstop, strategy comes into play, meaning it is not just about how fast you can lap.

Yeah, the issue is just that tyrechange is about 25 seconds in AC, so it takes about the same converted to fast laps, at least, during the race to make up the time. Well, maybe I'm just not that much faster on Softs :)

The problem is that's really dependent on your driving style. I remember back in the early days every single race I did was 1L and I thought it was the best, but that's because I didn't learn to make the best use of the tyres with lower fuel loads yet.

As I spent longer and longer driving the 650s I learned that 1L strategy is usually only the fastest until you manage to learn how to really push the car to the limit without sacrificing tyre wear throughout the race (except in some minority of races which are really only fuel limited). I don't really know your driving style so can't comment, but from my personal experience I have ~700 hours driving it and I can confidently say that I'm still learning things about the 650s every time I drive it :)

Nice. I have maybe 10hours in the Z4 I've chosen tonite, this will be a lottery race for me :laugh:

Last edited:
btw, I hope you all know I'm just bringing it up for discussion, not to rant on the format. There might also be some that didn't realize that not swapping tyres and putting on JUST 1L could actually be viable. I'll leave it up for people to test for sure.

See you tonite guys :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I certainly do not think you are being awkward in any way and I do not believe anybody would think that. There is nothing wrong with a discussion, some drivers will not comment of course, because they want to keep there strategy close to there belt, some would have spent several hours or more testing to come up with their own strategy.

There are currently 2 drivers on the practice server ...try refresh :thumbsup:
Hm I did, cannot find any :
1576686282954.png

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 62 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%