AMS 2 Announced - MADNESS Engine Confirmed!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The announcement is here! Read on for some very big news regarding the next racing game project from Reiza Studios.

Having earned considerable good will from the sim racing community thanks to their outstanding work on GSCE and Automobilista, Reiza Studios confirmed they planned on developing and releasing a new racing title in the very near future. For various reasons that "very near future" turned into a couple of years or so, and the original working title of 'Reiza '17' quickly became obsolete.

Well folks, wait no more - the announcement is here!

Let’s be honest, we expected this to be good... and good it is. Firstly, let’s talk about the surprise aspect of the announcement today – the game engine.

Most folks would be willing to throw down money on Reiza taking hold of the rFactor 2 ISI gMotor2 and bolting on an external graphics engine… but Reiza have surprised us all with an announcement we didn’t expect – AMS 2 will be using the Slightly Mad Studios developed Madness engine!

So what does that mean? Well it means day-to-night transitions. It means dynamic weather and it means VR! Yes, all those things that sim racers ask for, wrapped up in an impressive graphics engine that gives good framerates. Oh, and with the Reiza magic touch regarding physics and force feedback thrown into the mix. Awesome.

So, what else do we know? Well looking at the new trailer, we see the now legendary StockCar Series and Interlargos circuit, giving us a couple of exceptional pieces of content, and leading me to believe that AMS 2 will once again have a focus on the Brazilian racing scene at its core – which is excellent news in my opinion.

Other highlights from trailer has to be the incredible 1991 Ayrton Senna McLaren Honda! The Brazilian legend, a legendary Brazilian development studio - how awesome is that!

All in, this announcement sounds like fantastic news from Reiza, and well, well worth the wait!

AMS 2 Announcement McLaren Honda.jpg

The Reiza announcement in full:

Automobilista 2 is the culmination of a project developed over the course of nearly a decade. At its core, it is a comprehensive simulation of the Brazilian motorsports scene, featuring all major Brazilian racing series, race tracks and manufacturers.

Automobilista 2 will also celebrate Brazilian motorsports heritage by featuring some of the country´s most iconic heroes and achievements through its rich history in the sport.

Packing an even larger roster of diverse cars and tracks than its predecessor, Automobilista 2 will venture further into the best of international motorsports, including prestigious brands such as McLaren and BMW along with iconic venues such as Brands Hatch and Imola, at the same time continuing to explore the more exotic and exciting forms of motorsports from around the world.

Boosted by a new technical partnership with the developers of the award-winning Project CARS series, Automobilista 2 is built on the MADNESS engine, providing incredible graphical quality, the most advanced dynamic weather and track condition systems in a racing simulator and superior VR support, to deliver a substantial realism upgrade and a fully immersive visual experience.

With Automobilista 2 we aim to combine the strengths that made its predecessor unique with major evolutions in all areas. The sim will offer some exclusive features for both single player and multiplayer, which we look forward to sharing over the remaining months of development!

AMS 2 is set to release December 2019.

For the latest news and discussion items in relation to the newly announced new racing simulation from Reiza Studios, head over to our brand new AMS 2 sub forum, and never miss a thing again!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I mean, the definitely-not-F1s from Reiza (on par with RSS single seaters imho) in PCARS 2... we will have proper F1 cars (their Formula A is quite frankly mediocre) in the madness engine! Can't wait!
Hopefully Reiza can use some PCARS2 content like the GTEs, LMP2s and IndyCar! That would be awesome.

As nice as it is, im very much confused. Automobilista was a success because they picked up the rfactor 1 engine and remade it and modernized it. How the hell do they do the same for a game engine that is rather modern? Automobilista and PCARS2 put the same amount of dedication in real cars, real tracks, and as close to real life as they can get (Well, not so much Pcars but you get the point). If there's automobilista 2 then i have NO idea what they would do to set themselves apart, much less warrant a new purchase. I do understand that they would do more realism than Pcars2 could do, but will they do it THAT much better? Or do they have a weird secret reason why people would purchase automobilista if they already have project cars 2?

As nice as it is, im very much confused. Automobilista was a success because they picked up the rfactor 1 engine and remade it and modernized it. How the hell do they do the same for a game engine that is being worked on and updated as we speak for another game that is exactly the same? Automobilista and rFactor 2 put the same amount of dedication in real cars, real tracks, and as close to real life as they can get. If there's automobilista 2 then i have NO idea what they would do to set themselves apart, much less warrant a new purchase.
They are using pcars2 engine not rf2.

As nice as it is, im very much confused. Automobilista was a success because they picked up the rfactor 1 engine and remade it and modernized it. How the hell do they do the same for a game engine that is rather modern? Automobilista and PCARS2 put the same amount of dedication in real cars, real tracks, and as close to real life as they can get (Well, not so much Pcars but you get the point). If there's automobilista 2 then i have NO idea what they would do to set themselves apart, much less warrant a new purchase. I do understand that they would do more realism than Pcars2 could do, but will they do it THAT much better? Or do they have a weird secret reason why people would purchase automobilista if they already have project cars 2?
They will be using the Madness core engine not sure why everyone keeps mentioning PCARS2,
will be the stock engine they have licensed with core key features will still require major coding + the Reiza main physics engine coding,
but means that it should at some point be available to consoles as the engine is very well optimized for this already, still requires all core assets from Reiza to make it run, tracks, cars, textures and a lot of settings and code, basically its what Kunos did taking the UE4 engine,
the core madness engine and the released version of Pcars2 will be miles apart in terms of settings and features available, stock engine + live track and FMOD I imagine,
lets see how it runs but so far looks very impressive!

• Deleted member 379375

Will keep an eye on this one, Been bitten once by the Madness engine so definitely won't be buying EA.
Also they need to get MP right. Hopeful though.

Will keep an eye on this one, Been bitten once by the Madness engine so definitely won't be buying EA.
Also they need to get MP right. Hopeful though.
Will drive like AMS, look like Pcars graphically the rest is down to how Reiza code the game and make it run,
there should be 0 comparison to be made from one companies bugs to another company,
its like comparing Kunos ACC with Moto GP, they simple use the same engine nothing else.

All the people that are worried about the Madness Engine... why? Thinking the game may end up being like PCars3 is a little silly. It's like saying that every single game made using the Unreal Engine is exactly the same, which they very clearly aren't.

The fact is that the engine used really doesn't matter too much, it's what they do with it that counts. The PCars2 devs had their own goals in what they wanted their game to be, and I would assume they achieved them to the best of their own abilities. Reiza have their own goals too, and have a proven track record of being a highly talented group of racing sim developers. They've shown they can get every last drop of potential out of even an old game engine, so who's worried about them doing the same this time? Not me.

I'm not a fan of PCars 2 but I think most would admit that it looked pretty damn good, especially in VR. And it had most of the features people keep crying out for, like track evolution, day/night cycle, and weather. So instead of being worried that the physics might not be up to par, I instead am very confident that we'll get a game that looks amazing, has all the features we want, and will have amazing physics too. Can't wait. :)

Well....try to compare it to chefs in a restaurant and how they interpret the same dish in different ways. Some people prefer one style over the other style though it is still the same dish (at least on the paper).

will be the stock engine they have licensed with core key features will still require major coding + the Reiza main physics engine coding,

Well, just like all the others, this is just an assumption. We still don't know whether Reiza will use their own physics and AI ported to Madness. I really hope so, maybe a lot of rf1 physics code is there just like the option to run on it, what would make Reiza's work much easier in order to release the game in December.
Anyway, there will be an interview with Renato and hopefully, all details will come out. Fingers crossed.

All the people that are worried about the Madness Engine... why? Thinking the game may end up being like PCars3 is a little silly. It's like saying that every single game made using the Unreal Engine is exactly the same, which they very clearly aren't.

The fact is that the engine used really doesn't matter too much, it's what they do with it that counts. The PCars2 devs had their own goals in what they wanted their game to be, and I would assume they achieved them to the best of their own abilities. Reiza have their own goals too, and have a proven track record of being a highly talented group of racing sim developers. They've shown they can get every last drop of potential out of even an old game engine, so who's worried about them doing the same this time? Not me.

I'm not a fan of PCars 2 but I think most would admit that it looked pretty damn good, especially in VR. And it had most of the features people keep crying out for, like track evolution, day/night cycle, and weather. So instead of being worried that the physics might not be up to par, I instead am very confident that we'll get a game that looks amazing, has all the features we want, and will have amazing physics too. Can't wait. :)

Also had a class leading UI if people are being honest. Nothing you would ever put your mouse over that didn't have a tool tip, no scrambling around in sub menus looking for settings, and many graphics/control settings in game (ie on circuit) and realtime. I hope AMS2 sees the same.

Well, just like all the others, this is just an assumption. We still don't know whether Reiza will use their own physics and AI ported to Madness. I really hope so, maybe a lot of rf1 physics code is there just like the option to run on it, what would make Reiza's work much easier in order to release the game in December.
Anyway, there will be an interview with Renato and hopefully, all details will come out. Fingers crossed.
Its not an assumption its a fact, why on earth would they use the Project cars physics,
game engines do not come shipped with physics anyways only very basic programming the core features,
they are using the Madness graphics and the famous Reiza physics everyone loves.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 38 8.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.2%