AMS 2 | Beta Launches Feb 28th - What Are You Looking Forward To?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
For Reiza backers, the much anticipated AMS2 Beta will go live this February 28th - what are you most looking forward to with the new game?

Now remember folks, only those are are early backers have access to the full list of cars and tracks confirmed so far for release - so please don't go and flood the comments section with "I'm looking forward to driving the xxx around xxx" - that kinda spoils the surprise for everyone else (and we are supposed to keep these things secrete anyway!).

However without going into content specifics, I'm sure we can all think of plenty of things to talk about to keep ourselves excited between now and the 28th!

So, who's excited for a first look at AMS 2???

Automobilista 2 will release as early beta on February 28th, with a full release scheduled for March 2020.

Excited about the game? Spread that enthusiasm at the Automobilista 2 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment!

AMS 2 Beta.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to around 2 years from now when the engine is further learned and understood and there are, hopefully, actual core-physics engine/coding changes from Reiza - the actual physics engine source code itself - rather than just plugging in different numbers into the variables made available to them (basically modding). Project Cars still has some very strange, unnatural, behavior over the limit at times which stems all the way back to the ISI engine even before rFactor 1. It wasn't improved in PC1, very, very little improved in PC2 still in AMS2 from all the vids I've seen.

Physics aside, I'm excited for the sound, the graphics, the atmosphere and, HOPEFULLY, a very engaging career mode which takes you on a journey starting with slower cars, small fields, and short tracks / track variations to faster cars, larger fields, and larger tracks / track variations. GT Legends did a fantastic job at this. The AC, PC1, & PC2 career modes seem pretty good too from what I've seen but I haven't played them yet myself.

The entire sound-engine is completely different to the Miles sound engine used in RF/AMS, etc. so I'm very excited for the next 1 or 2 years as the engine is learned better & better.

For me, AMS2 is a game that we all get to play early but is still really in an advanced puplic beta until 2021 or 2022 - that's when the true AMS2 comes out and when I plan to play it more heavily.

Oh, one last thing. FOR THE SAKE OF MULTIPLAYER, THANK GOD MODDING HAS BEEN DROPPED. Do people not realize how incredibly frustrating it is to try and play a videogame online with other real people but you constantly can't because half the rooms are using mods & half the rooms are locked usually leaving you with no option other than to quit the game and play something else? Modding is beautiful for offline play or for organized MP events but not for general MP play. Plus, Reiza's content is fantastic anyway. It's been like 7 years and I probably haven't even driven 25% of all the different car/track combinations in SCE/AMS1 yet. I love modding and the modding community but for the sake of people actually being able to enjoy some fun racing online with other people around the world, good riddance!

Last edited:
@VFX Pro if you think modding is over rated, you must have missed along the way what AC is capable of today. You had to have....

with ACC, it's the next gen, bye bye all others, no rain, no night, no buy.
I'm very exctied, less than with ACC, but I'm excited.

I fear about the aliasing.

LOL, "next gen", is that a sales term like "Synergy" that bit the dust 2 decades ago? :D If indeed that is what you refer to as "next gen" then there must be a reason for a next gen title not to even be in Steams top 100 online stats currently. Actually, 100th has 3,693 users right now. ACC? Has a whopping 261 users. Eeesh.

"No rain, no night, no buy" :roflmao:
You must have missed something, somehow.
And what has lead you to believe a simple thing like AA has caused you fear?

Last edited:
Modding is greatly overrated... and IRL licenses are meaningless if the cars sounds and drives great. IRL licenses costs a true fortune and only add limitations of what the devs can and can't do.
Considering there's almost no cars which have accurate physics parameters in professional driving sim products, and mods are the only ones which are made with accuracy (In every sim I've looked at), your comment is really ignorant. Every single car which is any good for AC and rFactor 1 for example are mods, and I wouldn't be surprised if the cars in AMS, R3E and rF2 are quite off. I'm willing to bet ACC's GT3's aren't that bad though.

Sure, they might drive alright, but I'm yet to be impressed. Professionals can't afford to sink months into one car, after all, unless their game has around 10 cars.

Considering there's almost no cars which have accurate physics parameters in professional driving sim products, and mods are the only ones which are made with accuracy (In every sim I've looked at), your comment is really ignorant. Every single car which is any good for AC and rFactor 1 for example are mods, and I wouldn't be surprised if the cars in AMS, R3E and rF2 are quite off. I'm willing to bet ACC's GT3's aren't that bad though.

Sure, they might drive alright, but I'm yet to be impressed. Professionals can't afford to sink months into one car, after all, unless their game has around 10 cars.
In most cases, average Joe racer wannabes prefer mod cars because they drive better and perform better. Meaning, anything that feels good to YOU and suits YOUR driving skills, is automatically more "realistic".
The reality is that most serious racing game developers do spend a significant time building their cars on real data they collect from the real cars. If the behavior of those cars doesn't meet your expectations don't mean that they're unrealistic.
If a car has a tendency to oversteer/understeer and you can't post good laptimes because of it, it's not the developer's problem (provided it's a serious developer), it's your problem. You simply can't drive it and you need more practice with it.

In short, mod cars are cookie cutters. Made by average Joes for average Joes. That's why you like them.

In most cases, average Joe racer wannabes prefer mod cars because they drive better and perform better. Meaning, anything that feels good to YOU and suits YOUR driving skills, is automatically more "realistic".
The reality is that most serious racing game developers do spend a significant time building their cars on real data they collect from the real cars. If the behavior of those cars doesn't meet your expectations don't mean that they're unrealistic.
If a car has a tendency to oversteer/understeer and you can't post good laptimes because of it, it's not the developer's problem (provided it's a serious developer), it's your problem. You simply can't drive it and you need more practice with it.

In short, mod cars are cookie cutters. Made by average Joes for average Joes. That's why you like them.

I'll kinda save you from the short embarrassment, perhaps you're not sure who you are replying to above.
You really have zero idea what you are talking about with 'cookie cutters and average joe's'.

And I find it it sort of ironic speaking to others about about not being able to drive. So you know who's here and who drives real car cars I see.
I wont say anymore. :D

Alright, that's what people usually think. Talking so confidently about things they don't actually have any experience with, or insight into.

Generally only people who don't dev and have never had any insight into dev think that professionals use more than perhaps two days per car max, and have any special data or anything. 95% of it is from the internet. ACC with its GT3 cars is a bit of an exception though, they do have data us average Joes can't get. Sure as hell didn't have a lot (At all?) of that for AC's cars though, because there's over 200 cars, so they all have to be pretty low quality.

I've been doing sim physics for a decade or so and I can guarantee you that I've talked to more studio insiders and developed more cars than you have. I think I have a bit better of an idea than you do, one of said average Joes.

But hey, I guess if the Assetto Corsa E30's rear suspension has 200%+ too much rear* camber gain and even the alignment is off in the front, or a certain developer who I won't name due to respect doesn't even put any effort into suspension geometry and uses generics for everything and tweaks tires until it feels right, it just means I'm a bad driver and professional products are still automatically superior.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 34 8.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 19 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 28 7.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.5%