Anyone moving to AMD Powerful Radeon RX 6000 Series Big Navi ?

Doom Eternal at 4k Ultra nightmare preset uses 9gb of VRAM. 6800 is 30% faster in that game compared to the 3070 with those settings. Just one example but there will be many more in the next year.

Its ok at 4k for now but its borderline really, I really would not consider a 3070 for triple 1440p, maybe if you ran them at 1080p and wait another year for a better gpu. I would not consider the 2080ti either and that has more vram and higher memory bandwidth. a 3080 was only just about good enough in benchmarks. Um not convinced the 6800xt will work well at triple 1440p because of the 256bit memory bandwidth and infinity cache scales better at lower resolutions.

Yeah it was rubbish. Don't think next week will be much better, maybe get a preorder in at best. Doesn't bode well for the 6900xt which is AMD only. Bet those are going to be unicorns until AIBs get the green light to make them. How long will that be, probably long enough for a 3080ti to come in and run rings around it.

I got a 5800x preorder last week at digitec in Switzerland, which is stated to arrive mid Janurary, the 5900x preorders are huge by comparison and no date stated, and looks like its going to take far longer at least here anyway, will chance getting a 6800xt next week but if i can't even get a preorder then i'm done with thinking about upgrades till this all blows over. Not good for the head really.
Literally all the sims available right now, have been available since the 2080 was the fastest video card and back then everyone said it was necessary for triple 1440's.
And then the 2080 Ti was necessary.
And now the 3080 is necessary.
And when the 3080 Ti is released, I'm assuming you'll say the 3080 isn't good enough again right?
Because that's how these conversations always go...
Just keep kicking those goalposts forward.

Of course they did, as those cards are the fastest cards available at the time and there is no better option available.

And when the 3080 Ti is released, I'm assuming you'll say the 3080 isn't good enough again right?

It'll be more likely to give you a smoother experience than a 3070 will for sure.
But yes according to the benchmarks Dan Suzuki did at triple 1440p even the 3090 wasn't enough to run ACC Epic settings smoothly, I mean it is the toughest sim to run after all. Sure you can drop settings and have a good experience.
But then I'd rather have a smooth experience with a lower resolution and higher graphics than always push the current generation to the limit to just about get 60fps, or have to make do with dropping settings.

I don't know maybe I'm just tired of always buying monitors at too high a resolution to fully enjoy them. RN I'm ok with 1080p with antialiasing tbh.

I'm getting this......
11.jpg

Literally all the sims available right now, have been available since the 2080 was the fastest video card and back then everyone said it was necessary for triple 1440's.
And then the 2080 Ti was necessary.
And now the 3080 is necessary.
Because that's how these conversations always go...
Just keep kicking those goalposts forward.

There's a difference between "what's possible" and "what's better" which revolves around the available technology. Triple 1440p was possible in the previous generation and is better now. Just like my triple 4k setup is possible now with a 3090, but will likely be better in two generations.

And certainly, if one were still using a 1080ti for triple 1440p (just barely possible) and somehow skipped getting a 2080, then a 3080 is a no-brainer because it comes at a better price.

I don't know maybe I'm just tired of always buying monitors at too high a resolution to fully enjoy them. RN I'm ok with 1080p with antialiasing tbh.

And that's a reasonable tradeoff.

Awesome :confused::geek::inlove::thumbsup:....can you run AMS2 in triple screen 4K (providing you have it) on 'Ultra' settings using the 3090....what FPS are you getting on Nordschleife, clear day with 20 Cars?...if you have time to reply :)
AMS2 Ultra is a no-go. Using the settings laid out in Automobilista 2 triple 4k screen settings required with RTX 3090 | RaceDepartment , I'm 75-85 fps on the Nordschleife on a clear day with 20 GT3 AI, except for the very first corner where the fps drops briefly to 62 or so as the AI start knocking things around.

Last edited:
AMS2 Ultra is a no-go. Using the settings laid out in Automobilista 2 triple 4k screen settings required with RTX 3090 | RaceDepartment , I'm 75-85 fps on the Nordschleife on a clear day with 20 GT3 AI, except for the very first corner where the fps drops briefly to 62 or so as the AI start knocking things around.
Wow, that's an eye opener for sure :confused::confused:...still a decent frame rate for triple 4K,...though with reduced in-game settings as outlined in your other post.

Last edited:
There's a difference between "what's possible" and "what's better" which revolves around the available technology. Triple 1440p was possible in the previous generation and is better now. Just like my triple 4k setup is possible now with a 3090, but will likely be better in two generations.

And certainly, if one were still using a 1080ti for triple 1440p (just barely possible) and somehow skipped getting a 2080, then a 3080 is a no-brainer because it comes at a better price.

And that's a reasonable tradeoff.
I disagree with everything you said.
There's a difference between "good enough" and "required". Required implies that anything less isn't good enough, which is silly. If that were the case, people would not have used 1440p triple set-ups with the 1080 Ti or the 2080/S/Ti, because everyone back then would've said its horrible performance.
The question I proposed wasn't, "Would the 3080 be better for 1440 triples?" because that would be a pointless question. The question was, is a 3070 good enough to enjoy 1440 triples.
If it's not good enough, then the 2080 Ti was never good enough, the 2080S, 1080 Ti were never good enough.

As I suspect AMD VR performance is a way behind Nvidia again with this generation.

Hmmm, i'm not sure somthing being within 10% is way behind? I'm actually quite impressed with the ACC VR benchmark, scored 128fps high settings. vs 138 on the 3080. Assuming it might be a decent option for valve index users?

However agree it ran way better in VR using the Vive pro than it did on 4k and 1440p. It was especially ininspiring at 4k here at 60fps vs 84fps, kinda what I expected in an unreal engine title on AMD. So yeah unfortunately its pretty much gonna suck at triple 1440p guys.

The question I proposed wasn't, "Would the 3080 be better for 1440 triples?" because that would be a pointless question. The question was, is a 3070 good enough to enjoy 1440 triples.
If it's not good enough, then the 2080 Ti was never good enough, the 2080S, 1080 Ti were never good enough.

Correct they were not really good enough. I don't know why you are laboring this point. and as Emery says software is a moving target.

The 3070 is really a 144hz+ 1440p card for modern titles that is also a run solid 4k 60 and push to 120hz. Pretty much what the 2080ti is. Triple 1080p is 1.5m pixels less than 4k so within its limits. This would be where I would use that card to get a quality 120hz experience.

Triple 1440p goes well above 4k and is a really hard resolution to push. I don't honestly remember anyone saying a 2080ti was good enough for that resolution. I've got one and even overlocked in a watercooling loop I know if it struggles at triple ultrawide 1080p in ACC to even get to 60fps epic settings, I can tune it to run 100-120fps, so its not going to be worth the effort at triple 1440p which is another 3m pixels more!
If I was thinking of upgrading to triple 1440p i'd either wait a generation longer or just accept you will need to get a 3090 or wait for a 3080ti. I'm being absolutely honest with you.

I'm happy with triple ultrawide 1080p which are 144hz that can overclock to 200hz, it is the exact same pixel count as 4k, and it can deliver smooth 60fps with tuned settings in ACC, and 120hz minimum in RF2 and iRacing.

My original comment was to help you avoid dissapointment, I think buying 1440p triples and a 3070 is simply not a great idea. I would stick to triple 1080p instead if you want to limit your budget to a 3070, or maybe even a 1440p 49 inch ultrawide. Either of those would be a cracking setup. If you get 1440p monitors you will either run medium - low graphics or run them at 1080p with slightly blurred pixels.

Hmmm, i'm not sure somthing being within 10% is way behind? I'm actually quite impressed with the ACC VR benchmark, scored 128fps high settings. vs 138 on the 3080. Assuming it might be a decent option for valve index users?

However agree it ran way better in VR using the Vive pro than it did on 4k and 1440p. It was especially ininspiring at 4k here at 60fps vs 84fps, kinda what I expected in an unreal engine title on AMD. So yeah unfortunately its pretty much gonna suck at triple 1440p guys.

Correct they were not really good enough. I don't know why you are laboring this point. and as Emery says software is a moving target.

The 3070 is really a 144hz+ 1440p card for modern titles that is also a run solid 4k 60 and push to 120hz. Pretty much what the 2080ti is. Triple 1080p is 1.5m pixels less than 4k so within its limits. This would be where I would use that card to get a quality 120hz experience.

Triple 1440p goes well above 4k and is a really hard resolution to push. I don't honestly remember anyone saying a 2080ti was good enough for that resolution. I've got one and even overlocked in a watercooling loop I know if it struggles at triple ultrawide 1080p in ACC to even get to 60fps epic settings, I can tune it to run 100-120fps, so its not going to be worth the effort at triple 1440p which is another 3m pixels more!
If I was thinking of upgrading to triple 1440p i'd either wait a generation longer or just accept you will need to get a 3090 or wait for a 3080ti. I'm being absolutely honest with you.

I'm happy with triple ultrawide 1080p which are 144hz that can overclock to 200hz, it is the exact same pixel count as 4k, and it can deliver smooth 60fps with tuned settings in ACC, and 120hz minimum in RF2 and iRacing.

My original comment was to help you avoid dissapointment, I think buying 1440p triples and a 3070 is simply not a great idea. I would stick to triple 1080p instead if you want to limit your budget to a 3070, or maybe even a 1440p 49 inch ultrawide. Either of those would be a cracking setup. If you get 1440p monitors you will either run medium - low graphics or run them at 1080p with slightly blurred pixels.

Why are you using Epic settings?
I'm a stickler for noticing differences in settings visually and most settings High vs Epic in ACC are barely noticeable even with an IPS 1440P display.
I don't want to run maxed on 1440P triples or VR, I want to run high enough for the games to look immersive but still maintain 70+ FPS.

Max settings exist purely for benchmarking purposes. They remove optimizations that developers put in specifically to make the game look amazing without a performance hit. Also ACC is a terrible sim for saying whether a GPU is good enough or not. It has horrible optimization for triple monitor feature and actually taxes CPU when enabled.

For me, it's iRacing/AMS 2/rFactor and RaceRoom that I want to run wheel in VR/Triple 1440P, and again, not at max settings, but a mix of high/very high settings optimized for 70+ FPS.

For me, it's iRacing/AMS 2/rFactor and RaceRoom that I want to run wheel in VR/Triple 1440P, and again, not at max settings, but a mix of high/very high settings optimized for 70+ FPS.

rF or rF2? I think you'll find rF2 rain to be prohibitive to your goals w/triples. Raceroom you can max out. AMS 2 will probably require decisions for stormy, but maybe not.

Why are you using Epic settings?

lol. I don't its just a baseline to understand the differences between GPUs which all the benchmarks use as well so its a known quantity. Of course I tune the graphics to that CPU GPU bottleneck sweetspot.

Its always good to state your expectations like you have just done now when asking an open ended question. Otherwise its open to interpretation. However I still think 1440p triple is a bridge too far with a 3070 and you'll get annoyed at how low the graphics need to be set.

I use RF2 as my daily sim as well, that sim is so badly optimised even when I think i've tuned it well for 120fps+ it still drops to 60fps or below on some badly optimised league track sometimes. Even without rain. Rain has essentially been banned from most leagues as its so jank. Only run on leagues that only run official content and know exactly what they are doing when they add banners and sponsors to the track decals. When fps is so bad that you have to turn off road reflections and can't even see the dryline well your kinda screwed.

Judging from statements from scandinavian retailers, word of the day will start with p and end with aperlaunch.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 264 67.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 175 45.0%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 187 48.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 82 21.1%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 105 27.0%
Back