Automobilista 2 | Early Access Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have today deployed the first official Early Access build for their new Automobilista 2 racing simulation.

It's here folks! A new build of the much anticipated Automobilista 2, now publicly available in Steam Early Access has landed!

Release announcement in full:

Automobilista 2 is finally here! We are very excited to be able to share what we have been working on all this time.

Please note that as an Early Access release the game is not yet complete - Time Trial & Championship mode are currently disabled but should become available over the first few weeks of Early Access.

Below are some further known common issues and limitations of:this initial release:
  • UI & HUD are still deep in development, and currently feature the essentials for all game modes to work - this will be expanded with new options & features over the course of EA, with same pages being completely redesigned.
  • Early Access is exclusively in English for the time being; Localization to other languages should only be added in time for the full Release.
  • Driver names, suits and helmets are generic for all series as the whole system is being reestructured (also part of requirements for a revamped Opponents settings and the Custom Championship Tool);
  • All 3D driver animations are still placeholders and may not fully fit the car yet;
  • Other Car-related 3D animations have not been exported which mean suspension arms are graphically static, damage is very limited and wiper are not operational
  • Some series still have WIP or placeholder liveries - these will be updated or expanded over the course of Early Access

The are many other substantial updates to every front of the game planned for Automobilista 2 throughout Early Access and beyond - we´ll be posting regular updates to inform what´s coming up the pipeline as we progress.

AMS 2 EA Release.jpg

FORCE FEEDBACK

Default FFB settings are designed for Logitech G2X series - if you have wheels with stronger motors you should scale those settings down to avoid clipping.

A more detailed guide for FFB settings will follow up soon.

AMS 2 EA Release 2.jpg

FOR THOSE WITH AMS2 BETA INSTALLED

Upon this release AMS2 BETA owners will have two AMS2 apps in their Steam library - the Beta and this Main Release.

Both apps will be the same as of tonight and for the next few days until the next AMS2 Beta update (which may or may not be also deployed to AMS2 Main depending on the importance of the updates).

If you are an exclusively offline racer there is no reason to install the Main Release of AMS2 - you may continue using exclusively AMS2 Beta. If however you plan to race online or run Time Trial mode when it becomes available with non-Beta users, you must install the Main Release.

If you have further questions about AMS2, please make sure to check on our AMS2 FAQ here

Remember folks, although the simulation has moved from closed beta status, the title is still very much in Early Access state. Don't load up expecting a fully realised and finished title just yet, but I'm sure you will agree with me that the road to V1 status is going to be an exciting journey...

AMS 2 is available now via Steam Early Access.

Having trouble with the game? Post a new thread in the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and our exceptional community will help you out!

Last edited:
Very messy interface to controller setup. Otherwise I like it quite a bit. F3 in there is awesome.

The tracks included are a bit unlucky in that there is very little in there that I already know (bad memory). Doing Spielberg for now.
If you want to learn some badass tracks, try Cascavel, Taruma and Ibarra and maybe later Curvelo and Goiania. Also good stuff for racing, many places for wheel to wheel stuff.^^

My point was that it takes time to build racing games, with or without an engine.

Reiza had a running start with AMS2. Comparing AMS2 and ACC at the start of EA is not really valid because of the game engine involved. Kunos were very open about the fact that EA was going to take a long time and would be a very gradual build up. Before coronavirus really hit, Reiza were originally going to have a beta phase which lasted just a month before the full (non-EA) release - always a very unlikely target in my opinion.

Reiza had a running start with AMS2. Comparing AMS2 and ACC at the start of EA is not really valid because of the game engine involved. Kunos were very open about the fact that EA was going to take a long time and would be a very gradual build up. Before coronavirus really hit, Reiza were originally going to have a beta phase which lasted just a month before the full (non-EA) release - always a very unlikely target in my opinion.
Well, I've learned not to take game developers' words without a ton of salt years ago when we transitioned from physical media to online distribution lol

It really doesn't matter who the developer is.
VALVe-time is a great example.

Just try the stock cars,to see what this sim is "Going" to be.They are fabulous. If those cars feel great on this so called crap engine,then they all will.

Let's not forget this is the Reiza team building this sim. Not the pc2 team. SMS are all about money and getting the product out. So they don't spend the time to get the product right. Reiza on the other hand are a totally different animal. And will spend years tweeking this sim.

@maelstrom, Reiza have also been open about the fact that development of this sim is going to be an evolving process over the next couple of years (AMS1 followed a similar route). I should imagine Reiza have had their own set of challenges to overcome as AMS2 has far more content than ACC even if they did have to do less work on the game engine. It's true though that Reiza are always little optimistic when it comes to deadlines, but always deliver in the end IMO.

I also can't quite understand the oversensitivity argument. It's maybe 10% more than AMS1, judging by setup values, i use and this could be down to so many factors, that are probably not weird at all. I have no problems with braking, so far. :O_o:

The oversensitive braking issue is very curious to me. A lot of the people complaining about it on Rieza's forums are using the same pedals as me (Fanatec clubsport V3.). I haven't had any problems with braking since I started testing the game in beta 1. The cars in AMS2 don't brake any different for me than they do in any other sim, including ACC, rF2, Raceroom, etc. I'm curious to see what the remedy for these people with the braking problem is. I gotta believe they aren't set up right, or calibrated right, because with the same pedal set I am having no problems.

The oversensitive braking issue is very curious to me. A lot of the people complaining about it on Rieza's forums are using the same pedals as me (Fanatec clubsport V3.). I haven't had any problems with braking since I started testing the game in beta 1. The cars in AMS2 don't brake any different for me than they do in any other sim, including ACC, rF2, Raceroom, etc. I'm curious to see what the remedy for these people with the braking problem is. I gotta believe they aren't set up right, or calibrated right, because with the same pedal set I am having no problems.
Yeah, that's what baffles me. I use maybe 10% difference in braking pressure setupwise, compared to AMS1 or even AC/ACC. So if there is a hardware+software related hickup, that doesn't apply to everyone, it could explain a lot.

Applying 10% brakes to something like the Formula Ultimate (F1) car at the end of a long straight would just make you part of the scenery unless you braked very early! Most real F1 cars require over 100Kg of force for maximum braking. I'm not saying that we should need that, just that we should be able to apply maximum braking pressure on our pedals at high speed and not get the wheels locking. There's so much downforce in the real-world, high-end formula cars that it's almost impossible to lock the wheel at high speed.

Tried that! I currently have it set at 20%. I've calibrated the pedals in-game 3 times now. At the end of almost any straight in the Formula Ultimate car, from maximum speed I can lock the wheels with less than half pedal travel. It makes following cars closely almost impossible - if they brake hard you have no chance of avoiding a shunt. I'm not alone having this issue. Although I don't have access to the Reiza beta forum, I've read that it's been raised there and that the devs are looking into it.

But, as has been pointed previously, unlike Reiza with AMS2, Kunos were using a game engine that wasn't designed for racing sims and had never been used for one previously. They were starting from scratch and it was inevitable that they'd have to begin with a very basic setup and build slowly on it.

Do you really think that's realistic?

But many others are having problems. It's not an isolated issue. See my comment above.

I'm not trying to somehow run AMS2 down, I really want it to work well. I can't see me using anything other than ACC for GT3 racing but I want a modern sim to use for open-wheelers. AMS2 just isn't there yet.
You guys must be going troll, because I tested the F1 cars (the modern and classic) and have no problems... didn't need to set the game, didn't need to set the car, turned all assists off and the car brakes are very friendly. Maybe you and most of the complainers are spending too much time on ABS cars or I'm too d4mn good (really, I'm a very mediocre driver).

TIP: Cold tires and cold brakes cars, even real F1, tend to be trickier... that's because real drivers need to go slower at the beginning of races. Are you guys sure that you are being gentle on your pedals and waiting for tires and brakes to warm?

Please, Reiza, don't nerf my AMS2!

Just tried the AM2 game last night and really like the game with VR. Worked very well with my Oculus Rift S.
I kept the game at default settings and tried the F1 trainer car, F1 Ultimate, and the SuperKart on two tracks which are Adelaide and Interlagos. Only did the Testing mode of game so far and tried the replay mode. All worked very well. Replay mode seemed to only capture one lap, not sure if that is something is settings. I did see one little hesitation(once) as I crossed the Start finish line on Interlagos to start the timing for 2nd lap. Car Braking seemed to be a bit sensitive and could lock up brakes easily going into corners- but that is a setting change which I didn't do to the game yet. So far I really like the game and look forward to updates in the near future. take care.

You guys must be going troll, because I tested the F1 cars (the modern and classic) and have no problems... didn't need to set the game, didn't need to set the car, turned all assists off and the car brakes are very friendly. Maybe you and most of the complainers are spending too much time on ABS cars or I'm too d4mn good (really, I'm a very mediocre driver).

TIP: Cold tires and cold brakes cars, even real F1, tend to be trickier... that's because real drivers need to go slower at the beginning of races. Are you guys sure that you are being gentle on your pedals and waiting for tires and brakes to warm?

Please, Reiza, don't nerf my AMS2!
I think, it definetly should be taken seriously. If all those people have a problem there, it is worth looking into it.

But on the other side, it should also be clear, that there are simple solutions, like the brake pressure adjustment in the setup screen and handling temps on the car, like you've said and maybe revise the own driving style, because this is also something, i've encountered in ACC, for example, where less ABS is less braking distance, but also punishment with wrong braking application and those are GT3 cars, so not the most difficult car.

Can you explain in details what LFB stands for and does?
Same question for FX, what does it do?

See this post:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%