Community Question | Best Racing Game of All Time?

Depending what are we looking for, of course...
If I dig deep into my childhood, how I can not say that game I've been adore so much
and spend some record times on my mum's PC :D ...then it has to be
- Grand Prix 2
by Geoff the legend. what can I say... I literally knew this game like the back of my hand. :inlove:
- rFactor
if we looking at physics, graphics for it's time, modding community, longevity... and I had my own PC then. :D
- Assetto Corsa/Assetto Corsa Competizione
if we looking at all around sim worth our precious time, since we're all grown ups now, you know... sort of. :D
aaand... if we're looking at the goddamn hardcorest of them all, with leaning curve as steep as south face of Everest... then it has to be
- Grand Prix Legends
boy oh boy... oh boy... you have to be truly a legend to just turn one fast lap on a track as simple as Monza is - without crashing.
(and there wasn't even any chicanes back then!:x3:)
still on my hard drive. but I need to drink a few beers before I find a courage to drive it again. ok, four beers. :D

Last edited:
It's gotta be Burnout 3 here, the very first game I ever played and the only one I think is perfect.

When it comes to sims, GTR2 was always my go to, although ACC is almost the perfect GTR2 sequel to me even though it's from a different developer so maybe ACC has finally topped GTR2 for me, i'm not sure! :)

not read too far into the thread, but two that need a mention for me are Need For Speed Underground 1 & 2 (mostly 2) and Gran Turismo. Without getting hooked on these I'd never gone near the sim racing titles (in my case Live For Speed and Assetto Corsa)

First time using a wheel (non-FFB Sidewinder) was in NFSU1... can still see my riced MX-5 and hear Born Too Slow...

Live For Speed is still the best "fire up and go" online racing I know. So easy and inviting for newcomers, but still so good once you went deeper into it. No question that its Dev's did an abysmal job supporting it after ~2008. So many opportunities for more content and modernisation, but it was lost in Scawens personal quest for perfection, which lead him down decades of detours (which made LFS like the first sime with proper VR support... at a time no one used it yet)

All the 1st gen GMotor games are at the top of my list, with Race07 slightly edging out the others.
They all had tons of great content, control and easily modable.

I don't know how many remember "Jarret and Labonte Stock Car Racing" on PS, but that game really opened up my eyes to a more sim-ish driving experience and new disciplines of racing.
I think it was a TOCA game rebranded for North America

OK with all this talk of GT2, I have the game installed but every time i load it up i can't deal with the fact that my TX wheel doesn't line up with the wheel on screen...any tips on that and what i can do to get it working well on a modern PC?

Does it not have 900 rotation for example?

I am too young to know of this game but love to try out old but gold if its raved about so much..

There is only one...

Our family grew with up with the Atari 2800 ,it had it’s own special controller also for this particular game.

This was the first ever driving game with a first person view(I found that out on wiki).

Kids today are spoilt brats really,growing up with mobile phones and the sims of today.

We had the better music though and sport.

I remember the stand up arcade machines with the steering wheels where you drove a sprite around a track map,the glory days of the pinball machine,used to live on those.

Humbler times,the air was clean,Australia was a beautiful place.

We are on the downward spiral now.

Fallout 4 times coming.........

Keith Richards will have the World to himself.

Old man shouting at cloud :redface:

P.S. putting on The Chequered Flag by Jethro Tull.

Last edited:
Objectively I'd have to say GTR2 grand prix legends or Geoff Crammond's gp4.

My personal favorite for sentimental reasons and the fact I'm a touring car fan - Race 07.

Shout outs for game stock car extreme/automobilista and asetto corsa too.

Good question
got to be Daytona USA

spent a small fortune in the arcades on it

first game i bought for my sega saturn

I still occasionally play it on my pc with an emulator

27 year old game, but it still has something about it

Perhaps i'm an addict and just need a fix once in a while

No other video game of any genre has kept me smiling for almost 30 years

Grand Prix Legends, maybe? I don't know. It is so hard to pick one, when there are so many truly great ones - GP2, GPL, NR2003, iRacing one of these four, I think.

Interesting question. One of the best pieces of advice given to me when I first got into PC racing was, "Single player and multiplayer are very different, and neither is for everybody. So try both and figure out which one works best for you and do that." SO I'm all about single player content.

My all time favorite racing sim is GTR2 hands down. Especially with the 10th anniversary update. So many great mods to play with and really good basic content. I've spent hours tuning the AI to my preference and still play it and the P&G mod on a regular basis.

On the mobile platform I was a big fan of Real Racing 1 and 2. But when 3 came out and it was play for free, pay to win, and all my multiplayer friend were literally spending hundreds of dollars to stay competitive, I bought myself a gaming laptop and wheel and never looked back.

My son is into Nintendo and so Mario Kart is definitely on my list for fun. And there was one other racing game called Excitebots racing where the cars were shaped like bugs. And that is a blast as well.

I have about 15 different racing games installed on my computer including most of the Grid and Dirt series, plus all the Simbin releases, AC, pCars1 & 2 and rFactor2. I fiddle with all of them at some point. Codemasters games are great when you've had a few drinks and a smoke on Friday night, aren't in the mood for anything too serious and just want to have some fun.

But for now I spend most my time in RaceRoom Racing. The adaptive AI once tuned always give good close races and are very competitive. I like their general presentation of FFB, sound, graphics and physics. AND the fact that the devs have stayed focused on one product for around 6 years now. So I don't have to keep buying the same game over and over for better graphics and slightly different content that could have all been done in the original product. I can Pick and choose what cars and tracks I want and build my content a little at a time when it's in the budget.;)

OK with all this talk of GT2, I have the game installed but every time i load it up i can't deal with the fact that my TX wheel doesn't line up with the wheel on screen...any tips on that and what i can do to get it working well on a modern PC?

Does it not have 900 rotation for example?

I am too young to know of this game but love to try out old but gold if its raved about so much..
Try setting your wheel to 540 degrees, or switch the wheel off in the graphics settings

Well, I started racing simulators in 1996 ... So, my favorite simulator is Indy Car Racing II .. Incredibly, a DOS game, with a fantastic immersion ... Not to mention the fantastic attitudes from AI, they were aggressive and at the same time, cordial ... The game's proposal was wonderful ... Unforgettable, for me.

I've pretty much started with Crammond's GP1 - I will never forget the races I had through modem with my best racing buddy.

From the current ones it is... AC. So many things to do, and the driving feel is still good.

Best Racing game of all time? Hmmm, that leaves it open to interpretation, so I'm going to take advantage of that.

Honestly the racing game that has stuck with me throughout the years since the original Playstation, has always blown me away with every iteration, and is now sealing the deal with VR is.....................

WipEout.

Yeah it's arcade, but with an incredible level of subtlety in the controls and an incredible sense of speed with glorious locations and wonderfully stylised graphics.

But the Omega Collection in VR, oh the VR. Nothing in VR has ever made me feel like my stomach is falling out of my arse like the drop on Altima, or the overwhelming feeling of vertigo on Sol that almost made me panic. I kid you not I screamed when I first played this in VR, and honestly for me there's been no VR experience that's come close to this.

It's not always about the tyre model when it comes to racing.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 8.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 29 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 38 6.3%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.3%