CSL DD choose a wheel.

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
Like many, I have preordered a CSL DD, I am now patiently waiting for my DD wheel base.
One question remains, which wheel should I order?
What have you decided, which wheel did you choose?

Last edited:
When I preordered there where hardly any wheels listed on Fanatec's site now there's tons of them, so at the time I ordered the ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5 with mine. Seemed the best value since it already has the magnetic shifters and a good amount of knobs and buttons to use. The smaller diameter of the Formula wheel will probably make the 8NM seem stronger than it is too. I'll probably also order the newer BMW GT2 V2 wheel so I have a round wheel for rally/road cars eventually. My friend has the older BMW GT2 wheel currently and its pretty nice and seems like a good deal for $299. You could also go with one of the universal hubs and build up your own wheel any way you want. My stuff is due to ship the end of September can't wait!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a DD1 and use the Mclaren GT3 wheel , it's a awesome wheel , best feeling wheel out there , ergonomics are spot on , very nice to hold , for me personally I think it's much better than all their other overpriced wheels and in fact I think it's the best wheel they have and it's good value.
Not a fan of alcantara grips , much prefer rubber grips , alcantara feels horrible in your hands and shows wear way to quickly , (I'm not wearing gloves , too hot) I have the V1 and V2 Mclaren GT3 wheel and my V1 rubber grips are still like new and I purchased the wheel when it first came out.
I even use it to play rally games , it's my all in one wheel , I play everything with it and don't feel the need for any other wheel.

Upvote 0
Ive ordered a CSL DD and im currently running a CSW 2.5 with the Mclaren GT3 wheel and the BMW GT2 Wheel. I much prefer the feedback from the Mclaren wheel over the BMW wheel, and as I believe this is down to weight I'm going to get the WRC Wheel and retire the BMW unit.

I do a fair bit of Dirt 2 in VR and I need a round wheel or it gets messy.

Upvote 0
The McLaren is a brilliant wheel. In addition to being a GT3 wheel it can also perfectly act as an F1 wheel. The diameter of 300 mm is also better (IMO). They both weigh almost exactly the same with a QR1 attached. But the big benefit over for example the Formula V2.5 wheel is that the McLaren is 150 Euro cheaper.

For round wheel I would consider the R330 + universal hub V2 or the ClubSport Steering Wheel RS (320 mm), which seems to be a modified/enhanced version of the 918 RSR Wheel. I say enhanced, because even if it's 100 Euro cheaper (doesn't have Porsche logo) it has magnetic shifters and an exchangeable QR1.
Of course, with the R330 you get the benefit of the universal hub V2, to which you can attach any aftermarket rim. For that privilege you pay 80 Euro more than the RS wheel.

Links:
https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-porsche-918-rsr (older, would not recommend)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Mclaren is not going to disappoint That is if you don't have a wheelbase and you are getting all touchy feely with it. My WRC wheel arrived today, and except for the QR1 Lite, which should be packed in the darn box, I am all set for the CSL DD. That should be arriving next week Wednesday or so. Still I should have all driving disciplines covered with these two steering wheels...

51388832128_d9757dba29_c.jpg

:D

Upvote 0
I think it all depends on the type of driving you plan to be doing. I really like a round rim for rally racing, and anything that requires quite a bit of slip angle while working an H-pattern (90s DTM, Vintage racing of practically all sorts, etc). For modern day GT racing, V8 Supercars, etc - I prefer using a D shape rim that I believe to be about 320-330mm. I'm a huge fan of the universal hub because I can adjust the button clusters to (almost) exactly where I want them. I use the Uni Hub for both my round rim (350mm) and D shaped (320-330mm). If I'm driving modern open wheelers, that is when I really like to use my Mclaren rim, but I also use it for some GT3 racing. The only rim I own that I advise against buying is the Fanatec Formula series of rims. If those rims were a bit wider, like the Mclaren rim (310mm I believe), I think I'd like it a lot more. I also own the Porsche 918 rim, and while it's a damn good rim and I really like the feel to it, I like the button layout using a Uni Hub W/ round wheel for all my round wheel needs. As a result, the Porsche wheel doesn't get much use at all and is more of a display item LOL.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 42 10.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 48 11.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 46 11.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 141 34.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 240 59.0%