Did you Actually get a RTX3080/90? How?

I've never understood the argument of not talking about or releasing newer products closely after a launch of something else.

I'm massively taking this first line out of context, so apologise for that. My thought is that from the manufacturers perspective the danger of discussing the new thing before the current thing has hit market saturation is that people who are on the fence will decide to wait another 18 months and skip a generation.

Most of us skip at least one generation anyway as we can't afford to keep up for often the marginal benefits.

If you're 1080 Ti is still delivering on the games you're currently playing, but you'd quite like to try something else or maybe crank up the detail or move to 4k etc. then you may be in the camp that would upgrade to a 3070 / 3080 (if they were available). If Nvidia then tell you it's going to be out of date in 12 / 18 months and their new card will have this new feature and deliver this many more FPS, it will make some decide to skip another generation.

Happens in sales everywhere, including business software that I work in.

At some point, you need to buy something. Whether you upgrade whenever something new becomes available is completely up to the person. PC's are not consoles. We shouldn't have to wait 5 years to have something worthwhile to upgrade to. For every person that skips a release there are probably equal if not more people willing to upgrade to that release, whether they bought the previous generation or not.

At the end of the day, people's perception of hardware releases shouldn't be that they are having their purchases outdated prematurely. The hardware DOES NOT change when a new card comes out. Game developers don't cater to the flagship products only, that's not how it works. They'd never sell any product that way. Upgrading a card that's 5 years old and having the ability to set higher visual settings is hardly shocking. 5 years should be a lifetime in PC hardware and I look forward to seeing hardware releases become exciting again. If it ever does is another question.

A busted game that runs poorly on a 3090.

Pick a better example.

Just because a game doesn't run at full settings on a mid range card does NOT mean the devs have only catered to the flagship card owners. You buy a mid range product, expect mid range performance.

Last edited:
Honestly, not an argument, just suggesting that a company selling GPUs will be reticent on discussing futures when they can't deliver enough items on the current offering. There might be other reasons around wanting to keep the competition in the dark too, but I expect these to be secondary.

Totally agree with the lack of supply comment. I am talking strictly in a world where a company announces, releases and has enough stock of a product to satiate demand within the first couple of months for every person that intends to buy one. I'm not talking about right now. My argument is that regular releases of improved hardware, in whichever way they come, are a GOOD thing and should not be frowned upon by those that want to say they have the latest gear for 5 years. You only ever have the best for a short while if things are moving along efficiently. There's always someone that could use improved hardware, especially sim racers and gamers with graphics cards.

At some point, you need to buy something.

I think you'll find people are desperate to buy what they want right now after waiting 5 years already. Thats why the 3080 and 6800xt are so exciting right?

Its not a good idea to push new releases when there are a lot of pissed off people out there right now.

Plenty of people are still waiting patiently for a new card pre ordered at launch, even some with no card after they sold it before launch to be able to afford the new card.

Companies have to be sensitive to the state of whats going on. PR suicide if they ignore it.

My argument is that regular releases of improved hardware, in whichever way they come, are a GOOD thing and should not be frowned upon by those that want to say they have the latest gear for 5 years.

Yes agree more regular advancements are good especially now there is now better competition in this area. But my argument is this is also time sensitive. There is a time and a place where you can publicise advancements and people will love you for it. But now isn't the time.

• Deleted member 197115

A busted game that runs poorly on a 3090.
Actually, I was able to run it with great visuals and HDR on 1080Ti using this guide.
3840x1600 with 85% static CAS scaling. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I actually went to Newegg and had an RTX3090 in my shopping cart at MSRP. Unfortunately, I only want an RTX 3080 so I did not buy it. Maybe this is a sign that cards are starting to become available in the USA?
The 3090s are out there. Overclockers in the UK has them in stock every so often and the stocks last a few days. It's like every so often people give up and buy the 3090s but they always come back in stock.

The prices are starting to get crazy now though. I got into a cue for the gigabyte gaming OC and paid £767 including VAT and shipping, it's now £900 on the page, I don't know if that includes VAT. I may be looking at customs charge because it's going from the UK to Ireland though.

I've been following the progress on the overclockers forum and it gives you some idea of the problems, for European customers at least. There's no supply. They're getting a handful of cards each time, like a dozen at most. They have cues with over a thousand people waiting for each card. The MSRP was a joke that was never going to happen, the early prices were subsidised and now the real prices are coming, the price of everything will be going up. On top of that thanks to Brexit containers are stuck at ports, they can't even ship what they have in some cases. Overclockers is being hit bad loosing thousands on cards because they took in orders at the start and now the cards they are buying are over a hundred pounds more than they quoted (they are honouring the original prices, but that's means they're loosing out big time).

Nvidia seems to have done a bait and switch on the original prices, they were never realistic. They can't match demand, nowhere near it, and Brexit means there could be thousands of cards held at borders and ports.

It's a real mess, your either going to have to constantly watch shops for when they get (a tiny amount) of new stock in, or just forget about it until much later in the year, probably April if all goes well.

You will be happy to know I am currently number 892 on the EVGA waitlist for a 3080. Based on the list, it looks like the waitlist shrinks by ~15/day. I should be able to order one in about 60 days. This means I will have waited a total of 4 months. Not bad.
Looks like I am going backwards on the EVGA waitlist. The waitlist estimates my turn is June 2nd. Ouch.

Looks like the EVGA card I want is $1430 on ebay. $550 over list. I guess I will keep waiting.

This release really sucks for anyone who didn't buy a 20-series card. Either you buy a 3090, which is slightly faster than a 3080 but it's marginal, you pay a scalper for a 3080 at nearly 3090 prices, or you wait your turn and don't see anything for 6 months. :(

As with my daughter's computer, am going the system integrator route to get my 5900x/3080. Of all the ones out there have found Maingear to have the best mix of price and performance. Know I am paying a bit more for them to put it all together but no other way to get the components and the mark-up is within the realm of reason.

My research led me to the following thoughts:

1. Alienware: Avoid like the plague. Overpriced and under built with bad thermals.
2. Origin, Falcon Northwest, Digital Storm. Good products but way too much of a mark-up
3. iBuyPower and CyberPower. Good pricing but limited component selection. Questionable build quality. I also live in CA so sales tax adds 10% to cost vs. out of state
4. AVADirect. Great selection of components but huge mark-up.

Last edited:
I periodically go on nvidia.com, and did so last night.

The 3090FE was available, and put one in my basket via the scan.co.uk but out of stock today.

There were also some partner 3090's on overclockers at the usual elevated prices.

Since launch, haven't seen 3060ti, 3070 or 3080 - like, ever.

The theme is the same, check regularly and buy if/when you can.

Lame

Last edited:
I did see the 3060ti, 3070 and the 3080 FE all appear via stock drops discord app on scan.co.uk website yesterday all around the same time 3pm.
They were all gone by the time I got to the page though, must have been less than 10 mins or something between notification and getting to the website. First time I saw that tbh. But seems to me Nvidia is starting to do regular small batches of the FE cards to their parter sites in europe.

I cracked a month or so ago and got a 3090 FE from scan to replace my Radeon Viis. They were in stock there for a couple of days at least.

I periodically go on nvidia.com, and did so last night.

The 3090FE was available, and put one in my basket via the scan.co.uk but out of stock today.

There were also some partner 3090's on overclockers at the usual elevated prices.

Since launch, haven't seen 3060ti, 3070 or 3080 - like, ever.

The theme is the same, check regularly and buy if/when you can.

Lame
In my head, I cannot justify a RTX 3090 over an RTX3080 with such a small performance difference.

In my head, I cannot justify a RTX 3090 over an RTX3080 with such a small performance difference.

Absolutely correct. If you buy it just for gaming its an emotional purchase, or impatient people.

Only reason to is for work reasons and only really if you work on projects using more than 10gb of vram.

This is a card almost exclusively for freelance 3D artists i'd say. Maybe also Freelance game developers as well working on content before optimising LODs. In that sense its good value as very few options as cheap as this with more than 16gb of Vram.

While I feel the same way (I didn't buy the 3090 btw), the RRP price differential doesn't represent the reality. The difference between a scalped 3080 partner card and a 3090FE is not as vast as the paper numbers might suggest.

With the reported price hikes across the board imminent, I wonder if £1400 will seem like such an absurd amount in 6 - 12 months as I make do in VR with a weak card.

I'm personally holding out for a 3080ti (I can dream) for an element of future-proofing as I don't think it will be too long before game makers utilise the extra RAM - certainly within the lifespan of the card.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 508 68.6%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 311 42.0%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 335 45.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 164 22.1%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 199 26.9%
Back