F1 2012 F1 2012 Demo

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
There are good things about the Demo though. So many good things.

- Penalty for crossing white pit exit line is great. I tested it last night at Monza and it does seem a bit buggy. Crossing it close to the pit exit or half way down caused a time penalty, but crossing it right near the end of the line caused me to be Black flagged immediately. Strange. EDIT - I may have got the Black Flag for too many penalties

- The sound is fantastic! Park your car at the side of the road at Monza and just listen to the other cars roaring down the other parts of the track. It's amazing.

- Illegal overtake penalty is great.

- slow down for driving off track is great - if you dont life the throttle yourself it forces you to lift/pump the throttle. That is great! I tested last night to see if me lifting as i was off track would counter act the automatic throttle lift/pump and it worked!
16x16_smiley-happy.png
Very happy with that.

- The engin stalling when not enough revs in first and second gear is fantastic! adds so much more realizm.

- The AI appear to have been greatly imprioved! I am looking forward to racing them more.

I'm sure i'll find more things over the next few days to rave about
16x16_smiley-happy.png

Am I the only one, whose game somehow lost the button icons? I plugged in my DFGT and both the keyboard and wheel keys/buttons are missing, instead there are just some generic "1", "2", ... "10" buttons and I have to guess which ones they are in reality.

Well, those are the button numbers - they match the numbers shown in my T500RS control panel, for example. Not sure if that's a bug but I pretty much doubt it - on PC, at least.

Ok then, so what should I press as button "10" and "11", if the Logitech Profiler shows only buttons 1-4, 7-8 and 11-20? Where are the missing buttons? Are they the pedals and gear paddles? :D
EDIT: Ok, 10 and 11 are the Select and Start buttons.

Other question - WHY for Pete's sake can't I change my car settings before qualifying? I can only use those retarded quick setups. Or am I missing something here? :cautious:

Been playing about with penalty system and would like to know if this is correct.

If i spin say Perez and i go off track. Then Glock hits Perez. Should i recive the double penalty i've been getting. One for causing crash between me and Perez and the other for essentially causing the Glock and Perez incident?

Very good points here, especially regarding the sounds and the penalties. Before you would get a penalty for pretty much anything that occured, but now I can race side by side and do slight contacts and keep going. The sounds are nice, you hear some high pitching, and some rumbling at low revs. Nice details.

One thing I'm a little worried are the physics and FFB effects. I'm driving the Williams at Monza, which isn't one of the best teams right now, and I can come out of corners in 1st and 2nd without pretty much any oversteer and I'm using the lowest downforce setup there is. I do like the understeer, you get punished when you miss the braking point, but acelarating too early doesn't really punish you. My lap times aren't quicker than real life though, I'm doing 24s. I'm still trying to decide whether to buy it or not, because last year I was very very disappointed. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

I see that the AI have driving aids in the demo. You can hear them at full whack on the start line and out of slow corners which some of are tight in Monza and no spinning. Wasnt the improvement of AI and the removal of their driving aids mentioned in the RD member interview in Cologne?

Ok then, so what should I press as button "10" and "11", if the Logitech Profiler shows only buttons 1-4, 7-8 and 11-20? Where are the missing buttons? Are they the pedals and gear paddles? :D
EDIT: Ok, 10 and 11 are the Select and Start buttons.

Other question - WHY for Pete's sake can't I change my car settings before qualifying? I can only use those retarded quick setups. Or am I missing something here? :cautious:

Time to confuse you ..... ;)

According to the wheel's actionmap.xml file, these are your 2 buttons :-

Code:
<Action actionName="Menu Start Button">
    <Axis axisName="win_con_di_button9" deviceName="046dc29a" baseCalibration="uniDirectionalPositive" deadZone="0" saturation="1.0" />

Code:
<Action actionName="Look Right">
    <Axis axisName="win_con_di_button10" deviceName="046dc29a" baseCalibration="uniDirectionalPositive" deadZone="0" saturation="1.0" />

Windows and the Profiler start the button numbering @1, but the controller starts @ 0

So profiler buttons 10 & 11 are actually buttons 9 & 10 in the controller's xml file, as shown above.

I don't have my DFGT anymore, but your button 10 (9 above) is the Start Button, which is the little triangular button at the bottom, in middle of your wheel.

Your button 11 (10 above) is the Look Right button, which if memory serves me well, is the little black button just above and right of the Horn. There is a pair of buttons to the left and right and above the horn, maybe marked L1/R1 I can't remember.

Just found a bit of a random glitch in the demo when doing the free runs on the YDT. I went on earlier and did a dry run, everything was normal. Then done a wet run and again everything is normal. However when I went back out for a dry run (all of this in the same session) the first sector and up to the braking zone after the first DRS straight was still soaking wet whilst the rest of the track was dry. Whilst this may be an issue, it is a fantastic challenge just to keep the car on the road with slick tyres on the first half of the lap with no assists either

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 126 38.0%
  • Porsche

Votes: 125 37.7%
  • BMW

Votes: 119 35.8%
  • McLaren

Votes: 80 24.1%
  • Toyota

Votes: 121 36.4%
  • Intel

Votes: 46 13.9%