F1 | Zandvoort Banking Now Complete

THAT last corner looks amazingly flat actually. :cautious:
At least like this, watching the youtube video from my lazy chair. :D
better?

1582963732494.png

The first images of the completed new banking at Circuit Zandvoort have been released - and it looks spectacular.

When Formula One announced that the Dutch Grand Prix would return to the calendar for 2020, many were left concerned that the fantastic but tight and technical circuit wouldn't necessarily produce good racing with today's Formula One machinery - something that the circuit owners have been quick to address with a number of key modifications to this historic circuit.

Of the changes, the most high profile has to be the introduction of two new banked corners at both turn three and 14. Keeping the original profile of the circuit, but adding a brand new challenge that should help increase overtaking opportunities has been a key desire of the Zandvoort organisers - and with the introduction of banked corners, something the sport hasn't seen since the Indianapolis Grand Prix back in 2005, Zandvoort hopes the Dutch Grand Prix this May will offer a unique and spectacular challenge for the drivers to overcome.

The track changes have been created by Italian company Dromo Circuit Design, based on the initial idea first proposed by the late FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting.

“We did something that we thought would be really formidable to drive, that has no equal at any other racetracks,” said Dromo’s founder Jarno Zaffelli.​

“Turn 14 is quite ample and wide, making it full throttle, whereas the transition between Turn 2 and Turn 3 has a lot of elevation and banking changes. All of your horizon is tilting, all of your perception is evolving, you feel like you are being squeezed". “It’s like being in a corkscrew, depending on the line that you are following.”

Original Source: F1

View attachment 352235View attachment 352236View attachment 352237View attachment 352239
Banking is nothing new to F1 just look at Sau Paulo, The old Nordisclife, And the Oval at Monza. It lets you Cary more speed and momentum. And most F1 turns are medium to slow.

The first images of the completed new banking at Circuit Zandvoort have been released - and it looks spectacular.

When Formula One announced that the Dutch Grand Prix would return to the calendar for 2020, many were left concerned that the fantastic but tight and technical circuit wouldn't necessarily produce good racing with today's Formula One machinery - something that the circuit owners have been quick to address with a number of key modifications to this historic circuit.

Of the changes, the most high profile has to be the introduction of two new banked corners at both turn three and 14. Keeping the original profile of the circuit, but adding a brand new challenge that should help increase overtaking opportunities has been a key desire of the Zandvoort organisers - and with the introduction of banked corners, something the sport hasn't seen since the Indianapolis Grand Prix back in 2005, Zandvoort hopes the Dutch Grand Prix this May will offer a unique and spectacular challenge for the drivers to overcome.

The track changes have been created by Italian company Dromo Circuit Design, based on the initial idea first proposed by the late FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting.

“We did something that we thought would be really formidable to drive, that has no equal at any other racetracks,” said Dromo’s founder Jarno Zaffelli.​

“Turn 14 is quite ample and wide, making it full throttle, whereas the transition between Turn 2 and Turn 3 has a lot of elevation and banking changes. All of your horizon is tilting, all of your perception is evolving, you feel like you are being squeezed". “It’s like being in a corkscrew, depending on the line that you are following.”

Original Source: F1

View attachment 352235View attachment 352236View attachment 352237View attachment 352239
Hmm...no safer wall ???

Ive heard that the track is owned by a prince of the local royal family, and that all the upgrades are payed for by tax payers. If so I hope if and when the track is sold, that the tax payers get some of their money back and not pocketed for financial gain . I hope no one has any brake failures into those banked corners, not any runoff there. Could be some interesting racing but will have to wait and see.

Chapman Andretti is the owner of CPZ (CircuitParkZandvoort) and our Dutch Prince Bernard Jr is one of the founders of Chapman. So yes indirect he is the owner of this track. He is also a race addict and owner of about 250+ appartments in Amsterdam area. Last point not relevant but it keeps us busy in the Netherlands ;)

It is told he paid all of it by his own earned money?! ANd the new track is also 'sponsored' by the local authorities. I thought it is 50% and the other 50% by commercial companies (like Jumbo. You may know them from LMP2 class?)

I cannot imagine they design and create a dangerous track/curve? Italian design hand in hand with a lot of expertise of wellknown legend F1 racers and present racers went into the realisation of this track.
I guess also a lot of time was spent during simulation tests?

I love Zandvoort for the ride, but the racing is non-existent. You can only wait for the car in front of you to mess up. Which is also racing, but Zandy has got to be the most difficult track to overtake on, and extremely friendly for the defender.
With the new cheesy T14, the speed will be a lot higher down the straight, so the main overtakes will be right in front of the audience. Oh well...

Awesome news, I’ve seen various videos of different cars lapping the circuit, and when F1 cars race on that it’s going to be frickin spectacular.
It’s been one of my dreams as an F1 fan to see Zandvoort make a comeback as it has so much history, and I think the circuit’s character has been preserved brilliantly too.
Excited about this one!

Meh! it won't matter how many banked turns they introduce, until they address the major issues of aero wash it will remain a problem for overtaking, remodeling Zandvort is to appease the Dutch because of Max, it's just a ploy to get butts in seats to watch the same procession we see at every other F1 track at a premium price most can't afford.

In those new videos turn04 doesn't look half as bad as in the early ones. I feel sorry for Kunos, though, they have just put the "old" Zandvoort into ACC, now they need to do a complete rescan sometime this summer if they want to sell us another season DLC next January or thereabouts. With iRacing not limited by series-restrictions, they will keep the old layout for ages, I guess.

Zandvoort would be interesting as AMS2 DLC. I'd take the layouts from 1970, 1973, 1980, 2000 and 2020. They have done the same for Imola and Hockenheim in AMS1, so maybe there is some hope.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 331 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 209 43.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 225 47.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 96 20.1%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 128 26.8%
Back