Ferrari Penalty Review Dismissed by FIA

And they call it an unbiased system, I call BS on that. The review system is in place for a reason, for the FIA to point blank refuse Ferrari's new evidence makes a mockery of it's own governing rules and the review system they implemented.
Not to mention the huge fee Ferrari would of paid to protest the decision in the 1st place.
And they sit scratching their heads wondering why f1 is in decline, open your eye's FIA/FOM, actions speak louder than words, they need to take a long look in the mirror.

• Deleted member 113561

Well, they should have right to be the re-reviewed, best with different stewards . - why not ?

if it was the other way around ? would the outcome be the same?
This would be a joke, so everytime you are not happy you just let it be re reviewed by different Stewards until it is the outcome you wanted. Anyways FIA did the right thing, there was no new significant evidence provided, call should absolutely stand, otherwise it becomes a farce.

This would be a joke, so everytime you are not happy you just let it be re reviewed by different Stewards until it is the outcome you wanted. Anyways FIA did the right thing, there was no new significant evidence provided, call should absolutely stand, otherwise it becomes a farce.

Problem is, penalties like that are farces to begin with. Now, nobody is happy and stuff like this will repeat itself in the future.

Yeah, what a great solution.

I don't know if I understood your post correctly, but if you meant how people would have reacted if someone in front of them did what Vettel has done, than here's my answer: for sure I wouldn't have stood silent, I would have told him "great save dude!" and carried on chasing him ;)

that´s it.

but i think that only hapens here, in RD. and the penalty was good because as vettle himself said, he knows that when you go out of track, the tyre loose grip because of it. i don´t know if he lift the gas pedal or not, or if he did all he could. but he enter the race line sending hamilton against the wall. he should left space for a car, like they do in braking zone. they are accustomed to asphalt everywhere and maybe don´t understand that if you make a mistake, you should have a penalty. without that grass, vettel will gain a gap.
my opinion.

• Deleted member 113561

Problem is, penalties like that are farces to begin with. Now, nobody is happy and stuff like this will repeat itself in the future.

Yeah, what a great solution.
That is your opinion, not a fact. Facts are, Vettel rejoined dangerously, penalty was absolutely correct as per regulations, if the Stewards must enforce them like that can be discussed - a farce would be something else.

That is your opinion, not a fact. Facts are, Vettel rejoined dangerously, penalty was absolutely correct as per regulations, if the Stewards must enforce them like that can be discussed - a farce would be something else.
That's your 'fact', not mine.
Unfortunately many people can't tell the difference between returning to the track dangerously or keeping the car under control after an error. It's just how you interpret the regulations; there's always room for more than one explanation.
The stewards should've made a decision in the spirit of the race as we all wanted to see someone else winning than Hamilton/Mercedes and this was an excellent chance. It's these kind of stupid decisions which are killing the sport.

And from what I saw of the incident, Hamilton drove into the closing gap and then Merc congratulating him for "forcing the penalty", that is massively unsportsmanlike if I heard that on the Radio I would instantly give the ENTIRE team a 10 second stop go penalty for that to be served by both cars, its about time the Mercedes Golden season in the making is ended, no one likes a team winning EVERYTHING and then doing it for years on end thats not a sport thats a damn joke!

Sorry if this doesnt agree with everyone but I wanna see racing NOT damn penalties deciding the fate of the race.....it should be up to the drivers and not the Stewards to decide the fate of the drivers.....jeez....
Every experienced sim racer here knows that Luis H could have read the play early ,backed off and attacked and overtook SV from the left instead of trying to pass from the right. Similar to and under over tactic.

I don't think a review of the same situation under the same rules could have helped.

What is needed is a clarification of the rules.

Namely, do drivers get punished for their car's movement impeding other drivers when...
  • ... the car was out of the driver's control at that point in time
  • ... the driver did not deliberately create that out of control state. In this case the driving error was before two sets of curbs and a section of less friction. It would be hard to deliberately plan for that

I also think it would be an improvement if "you need to let that opponent pass" was an official punishment for track incidents. Especially for "leaving the track and gaining an advantage". In the situation at hand the race would have remained much more attractive to the audience if that was used instead of a time penalty.

Of course "let him pass" could only be ordered if there aren't any third drivers around. But there are situations where it would be practical and this was one.

“But then we came here, had that, and when I arrived and heard it was Karun Chandhok’s video that was the new evidence, then I was pretty relaxed after that, and I just put it behind me.”
ok , lewis just killed Karun :roflmao:

• Deleted member 113561

That's your 'fact', not mine.
On the contrary, he had clearly the possibility to cut over the grass more to the left and rejoin slower - those are the facts. That he lost control over the kerb while rejoining is his fault! That he went wide is also his fault.

On the contrary, he had clearly the possibility to cut over the grass more to the left and rejoin slower - those are the facts. That he lost control over the kerb while rejoining is his fault! That he went wide is also his fault.
Just a matter of interpretation. Everyone is entitled to make a mistake which can not always be punished as is would've been done on purpose. It was a doubtable situation for which Vettel shoud've had the benefit. Besides, Hamilton had plenty of time to react and overtake Vettel from behind instead of staying on the racing line and provoke a penalty; then there would've been no discussion at all. Vettel was still ahead and there was no contact, so in a way he had the right to defend his position although it was a bit harsh.

See post #30.

Last edited:
Just another reason to add to the growing list of why I no longer watch F1. I do seem to recall though a similar incident some years ago when a certain "Kimmi" also in a Ferrari pulled the same stunt on Hamilton though got away with it. Perhaps (at the risk of opening a can of worms) I would suggest that Vettel isn't the great driving god he thinks he is. He makes mistakes as do others. But his constant whining when he gets caught out is becoming boring. Maybe he should concentrate on upping his game to deal with the real talent in Ferrari, his new team mate. If ever there was a star in the making then surely Leclerc fits the bill. Maybe next season with Vettel retired (unless he changes his mind) Leclerc may be allowed to show what he can really do. But then knowing Ferrari philosophy they'll
probably hire another "Star" driver and make him undisputed number one

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 58 9.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 29 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 39 6.3%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.3%