C'mon guys, the game is real. Here's the proof.
2ixseo.jpg
It does look like they are laughing at Racedepartment. Or is that my imagination?:sick::sneaky::D

Patrik, as a 3D artist yourself, what's your opinion about this picture?
Did they make it on purpose as a joke, to troll us?
Or what did Simbin want to show with this low res picture?

while the polycount isn't the biggest on the car, I see a somewhat high resolution textures, hard to judge from small-ish preview, but the main texture could be even 3k, nice detailing on the rim

I was never a huge fan of extreme polycount, I always preffered to add lot of "detail" to the model, rather then keeping it sparse but having high polycount

plus as it's been said, wheels are something you don't watch this close and when they rotate it doesn't matter at all

as far as the road goes, well that's all super dependend on the light angle, if you position camera so that the light is direclty behind it ( which here it's quite close to that scenario) it will always look flat, no matter what sort of detail, specular break and all that stuff you are doing , even displacement :)

let alone the fact that this is very likely pitlane and could even be parking lot behind the pit garage

and , from PR point of view, yes, maybe not the best screenshot overall , but it can make the next screenshots look amazing ! since they could show something better

That looks more like an example of a lower lod or a model without sub division(which I doubt tehy used because real time sub d is a very expensive effect). Tessellation raises geometry based on mapping. I think tessellation would maybe help with the bonnet of this AMG GT3 for example however it would not smooth out the wheel arches.
have you seen this video ? maybe that will help you understand what they are doing

I do not comment on the pic or on the game behind it.

Instead I say this: SimBin desperately needs a competent public relations manager who knows the business and understands how porked the situation is that SimBin already has manouvered itself into. With a PR strategy like this, there is only one direction how things could go for them: down. Its not just that they must do future PR right by the competitions' standards - they must also repair the foul reputation they already have created, and the latter is what stunts like this recent attempt now are not really helpful for.Future PR must be better than just "right". It must compensate the damage already done.

Have they really expected they would get anything different than mockery and more conspiration theory for that simple image?

Next time you report to the public,SimBin, you better make it something really substantial and very impressive and representative - else you can already start to dig your own business grave. If you have not noticed - you already managed to engage yourself in a steep uphill battle.

For nothing and without any need.
Well said.

In fact, I would take it even further to say that unless they have some investors and license in hand for GTR3, then take the knowledge they have learned with UE4 and apply all resources to R3E. Along with a different pricing structure. In other words, "Get back in the game!"

No matter what GTR3 is going to look like as a finished game: At least we can be sure that abolutely no money was “wasted“ for marketing reasons.

I think huge appeal of GTR2 was the cars there, and you couldn't drive them anywhere else, ..if you make GT3 with nowadays cars, it looses it's appeal, since you see those car in every other game

thye should have tried to go for older generation, or doing something lik GT4 , that's imo way bigger problem then polycount, simplified physics or PS4

Christ this place is becoming a kindergarten. I am also getting too old for this. :cry:
Agree, it seems that a group of idiots from NoGrip came here to Troll everything when NoGrip forum went bankrupt. Years ago i read same kind of bullshit there and found more adult RaceDepartment, no it's gone. God help us, those idiots ruin everything they touch...

But 1 thing I like a lot, NoGrip is history, it was a very good site until that Texas Ranger ****er.

have you seen this video ? maybe that will help you understand what they are doing

This is real time sub division, based off it also causing certain areas to rise or fall or curve its a very bespoke solution which is unsurprising based off how nice they have managed to make it look and the insane amount of polys they can show on screen at once. Im not sure why they called it tesselation(maybe because it sounds better I dont know), way ive been taught at uni is that this is sub division or sub-d or smoothing.

It could also be dynamic LODs, around 1:20 into the first video you linked it shows the outline of the circle for the exhausts and the hexagon slowly merging into it, several games have used this in the past but you always get artifacting as dynamic textures dont map properly. This makes more sense to me because sub d is just ridiculously taxing on performance(to my knowledge) but I tend to get surprised a lot by graphical wizards these days especially the guys at Sony's various studios.

Would be awesome to see either effect in GTR3 but I imagine the R&D to get it going effectively would be quite a task especially if they want to have other masks for dirt and crap or damage and flexing tyres

I've never really cared about graphics (unless it's graphics to help with physics like car movements, water/rain, etc.) but those graphics, to me, look like they could just be a pretty good rFactor 1 mod.

I think huge appeal of GTR2 was the cars there, and you couldn't drive them anywhere else, ..if you make GT3 with nowadays cars, it looses it's appeal, since you see those car in every other game

thye should have tried to go for older generation, or doing something lik GT4 , that's imo way bigger problem then polycount, simplified physics or PS4
I really think the name will be to misunderstand the game. I will say it is quite stuip to call it GTR3 as it will be confusing.
- First we thought it would be a "high-end" title comparing to R3E (Kunos did also i guess, as ACC is exactly that). Now people will compare it with GTR2!??
GTR 2 - continued with Race07 series - and people were really dissapointed when the Raceroom Racing Experience neither was to be called GTR3 - as they hoped for....
- For me the nameseries is not imporante. I only want most possible realism, and even though i am a Raceroom enthusiast and not AC - i have to Admit ACC is some of the best i have tried so far! Sector3Studios - hurry up with the Unreal4!

Last edited:
Did you miss the information about that this title will be arcade and not sim? Just checking since that info came not long ago and i myself was stunned and cleared the game out of my mind. :D
Thanks for taking the time to reply....and no, I did see that but a was trying to use Sarcastic humor....errr...I think I was...LOL.
But having said that I will watch / read reviews and may purchase after / if / when it comes out.

With SimBin not hiding the fact that they are looking to cater for mass-market consoles, I'm unsurprised at the level of detail used here.

If they're going to use large grids of cars with an endurance-linked title, it would make sense to have a game that can hold reasonable framerates on standard Xbox and PS4 consoles. The easiest way to ensure this is to not go completely overkill on modelling, because this would bring the game to its knees. So, don't get me wrong, whilst I love ACC and the detail it affords PC users, the best way to secure good fps performance, is to cut the number of poly's.

Destroying the gaming experience on console, reminds me of a heart-breaking moment in GT6(?). It was a special event/race. It had a mix of std and premium cars, Ferrari - I think. The race started and as the cars braked for the first corner, the framerate dropped to between 10-15fps. For a few seconds, it wasn't possible to properly control the action. It was horrendous.

So if the only choice was, to dial back that detail, I would take that compared to the game engine grinding to a halt.

This appears to me, to be the exact same reason why Kunos cannot commit to attempting a port of ACC to consoles. They must know that the current wave of machines simply cannot do all that maths and poly at a high enough rate.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 252 34.3%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 199 27.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 139 18.9%
  • Watch party

Votes: 60 8.2%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 18 2.4%