How to Make Formula One Awesome Again...

Theres one particular thing, that I didn't saw in this thread already, if I didn't miss it.

Can't the people see, how ridiculous the racecalendar is? 21 races?! With that amount of races, no race is special anymore. Cut it down to let's say 4 per continent with the exeption of Africa. (No disrespect intended here, but there are currently no class 1-homoligated tracks there.) We can also put Asia and Australia together, due to the lack of class 1-tracks in Australia, as well as North and Southamerica.

That would make an amount of 12 races per season.

We then would have "trackpackages" in the seaosn.

An Example:

For Europe:
Silverstone
Nürburgring
Monza
Barcelona

For Asia/Australia:
Suzuka
Albert Park
Instanbul Ring
Dubai

America: (2 in North, 2 in South)
Cota
Canada
Brazil
Somewhere in Argentina (?)

There would be also room for 2-3 races out of the regular calender, like it was in the 50s and 60s, just to promote the whole thing in countries and tracks, which didn't make it in the pool this year.

Some of the tracks would need to be replaced each year, let's say 2. The other 2 then have to be replaced in the next season, so no track strays more then 2 years in a row.

That would bring back the spectacle and the interest, because every race would be a VERY, VERY special and REALLY important one. Now I feel the teams aren't really fighting for it, because they think "Okay, drop back, we'll have it next three weeks." That would also cut the costs by natural, because of the lesser running costs.

Last edited:
What would you do to bring glory back to Formula One?

Easy...., just buy yourself one of these:

1200px-TeamTimeCar.com-BTTF_DeLorean_Time_Machine-OtoGodfrey.com-JMortonPhoto.com-07.jpg

Sort of related but you know there is an absolutely tremendous F1 1975 mod for AC, by Bazza, (actually a brilliant F5000 mod too). They are strangely hard to find,but a bit of googling should yield. Highly recommend it.

I would like a Wipeout like experience, so I would like to see guns, missiles and so on...
Due to some kind of laws about human rights, world's peace and similar stuff seems I am forced to wait...this is a shame...

If one would look at it from a different perspective then the new F1 TV app might make things interesting (in the mean while) since you will the one in total control of the content.... Who to watch and when....Create your own view (More than one driver at a time or a live view and a driver at the same time).
And as a plus, subscribers will be able to watch live races of F2, GP3, porsche supercup.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-a-live-grand-prix-subscription-service.html#

Since we usually do not pop up in every race, we are all today stuck on what the producers think is interesting so we are not in control on what or how to watch and this is sometimes boring.

If i’d keep the same prospective, then the sport should be fair to all, having no budget or resource limit is impossible for smaller teams so something could be done to prevent that.

How on earth do you expect to create a fan base if you have to pay before you watch or understand the sport. Pure Greed, so glad I lived through the age of Free to air Motorsport.

I would like a Wipeout like experience, so I would like to see guns, missiles and so on...
Due to some kind of laws about human rights, world's peace and similar stuff seems I am forced to wait...this is a shame...
Well, Maldonado will drive in WEC this year, so there is a slight chance to get some of your favorite stuff before the next century.

I have to disagree with the OP, it sounds cool making f1 all old school but that isn't f1. Its always been the fastest cars and (almost the fastest drivers).

Sporting changes: Include a cost cap to something reasonable and reachable to all teams while not hindering development, possibly making the teams follow a fixed monthly development budget and also having a separate cost cap for engine development.

I feel the grid girl change was unnecessary there was nothing wrong with them and the girls doing it enjoyed it and wanted to do it. If it was an "equality issue" introduce grid guys, and/ or leave it down to the individual driver to decide if they want someone to hold there number.

Another way costs could be reduced is buy freezing the development of the base chassis for a year so a team will use the same chassis for atleast 2 seasons, this will force teams to update the previous car instead of making a new one each year.

Aero: I think there should be a limit to the number of front wing elements to keep dev costs down and potentially reduce the effects of dirty air. For the barge board area of the car. there should also be a reduction in the number of elements used to make up the section however, the area that can be used should be opened up for more development. (Im not sure how this can be enforced but all cars should be made to be aesthetically pleasing, at least in for the nose of the car to avoid situations such as 2012 and 2014)

Blown diffuses and double Decker diffusers should be allowed in the regulations and more emphasis on the development of the underside of the car should be made.

safety: I think all efforts should be made to increase driver safety however if a new safety element is introduced there should be more work done to make it look better, the halo (although ugly) is 100% necessary however further work should be done to improve how it looks of find a better solution.

Engine: The engine rules should be opened up to allow for different engine regulations catering for different numbers of cylinders, aspirations, displacements, or technology. Teams/ engine suppliers should go to the FIA to propose the engine/ PU they want to use and the FIA should create some rules to balance that engine with other engines. This will allow each team/ company to work on technology they deem relevant to them. without making thing unfair between the teams, this can be done by limiting the power to weight and introducing different fuel types/ flow rates for different engines.

Tyres: the current system is fine however i fell 7 dry tyre compounds is exessive, I would argue 5 at a push should be the maximum.

Whoa, this thread is still going?

How about extending the points that are handed out from the top 10, and make it top 15...

From a fan's perspective, it's stupid to see a team with 0.7% of the points as the top team (Sauber @ 5, Merc @ 668).

Furthermore, I want to see tangible rewards for the battles happening from 11th to 15th, instead of "invisible" results that separate the teams tied at 0 points for half a season...

Think (although not a great example I admit) the 1995 Monaco Grand Prix, where thanks to rain Mika Salo brought home his V6 Tyrell in fifth positon due to not requiring a fuel stop, whereas faster V10 and V12 cars had to come into the pits.
You're right, that's a terrible example, as the 1995 Tyrell had a V10, and Salo DNF'ed.

I think you meant the 1996 race, which happened how you described, though the 96 Tyrell also had a V10

This has been a big discussion in many different types of motorsports, F1 being the most popular of all of them. These are some of my points that can make racing closer and better for the spectators.
I say they keep the same engines, we are going in a hybrid era in the world. It only makes sense to continue in the development of electric engines. If you look back on 2016 there was really good racing low downforce compared to last year and this year. So having teams to force to use less downforce from the top of the car, maybe have the team us the underbody of the car. I say keep some of the driver aids like they have now, abs and power steering.
Another point that was brought up was gearbox, keep the paddle shifting, the reason we got it was because it was dangerous to be driving with one hand at 300km/h. Just change it to 7 gears.
With the topic of fuel, keep the cars having to carry fuel the whole race, watch the 2-second pitstops is great to watch. if you look at IndyCar or IMSA the stops don't look that interesting. Having no refuelling will make the drive more aware of how to drive the car.
The ruling is fine the way it is on the track, not much has changed in the years referring to the racing itself, with DRS and the hybrid system there have been more passes so leave them.
Bring back gravel traps is a really bad idea, the reason they were paved over was to prevent rollovers, but yes it limits how many tracks MotoGP is allowed to use but that another argument. To make improvements to tracks, it needs to be like Japan, Canada, Bahrain, and Hungary. Those tracks are hard to master but it can great tracks to race at. I say just fewer road courses, that is what IndyCar and formula E are lacking, maybe bring back older tracks like Imola and the French Grand Prix.
I like here what everyone else thinks of my ideas.

Guys, guys, guys, you're over-complicating this. The solution is quite simple: Green turtle shells for Ferrari and RBR, red turtle shells for the mid-pack teams, blue turtle shells for Sauber, banana peels for Merc. Simples! :)
I played MK on snes so many times that at some point, i would hit target more often with greens than red!

Did you know you could make 3 red turtle turn around 1 kart without them ever touching the target!

I do not agree with the OP (who basically wants F1 to get back to the 80s). F1has always been the pinnacle of car technology, and also the place where new ideas saw the light. The spirit of F1 is to move forward!

In the past somebody would come up with some genius idea and change cars forever. Today that is more difficult without huge investments. These machines have become so complex that only big manufacturers have the budget to win races with them. On the technical side, to me the only solution to bring back excitement is to open the doors to innovation, so that there is some chance of someone coming up with a genius idea. Open the doors to new technologies: electric engines, different tire manufacturers, anything that can be disruptive. In the production world we already have electric cars, so I am not sure why they are kept out of F1. Are they just sitting there waiting for Formula E to take over?

There are of course some other simple options to balance the field of cars: one option is temporary performance ballast or restrictor. If you win the race your car gets less power for next race. I think this makes sense nowadays, given the huge advantage of 2-3 teams over the rest.

Something could also be done on the drivers' side, to give everybody a chance to shine.
For example, now we have a few big teams, mostly manufacturers, with satellite teams. For example, Ferrari has Sauber and Haas. Now, let the 6 drivers swap cars during the season! This way each driver has the challenge of driving in different cars, and the driver who can adapt best wins. So, let Vettel drive the Ferrari for 11 races, the Haas for 5 races and the Sauber for 5 races. Let Leclerc drive the Sauber for 11 races, the Ferrari for 5 races and the Haas for 5 races. I mean, "top" drivers will have more time in the top car, young drivers more time in the lesser cars. I know it sounds a bit odd but to me that is a good way to bypass the "technology gridlock" and offer exciting races.

Many factors shows where the modern world is going. This is also F1. Today, even the can opener thinks for us. So we will not change F1 without changing the world, which is imposible in one day. In F1 there will be more technology and less a man. Whether we like it or not. I do not.

Gawd can we PLEASE stop with the electric engines nonsense, that leads to Wipeout or FZero....you already have FE why spoil things for everyone?

I'm seeing a large schism in opinions and it's basically this..."racing"....those who like it and those who just want F1 to be fast and innovative. The two cannot co exist anymore, you either have good racing or stupidly fast cars, not both.

Still nobody complaining about the huge amount of races every season?
I think 18 is better (which sort of fit's in with your other post) Like MGP, 20+ is too much I agree. I defo want to see more classic tracks and less of the crapo Baku/Velencia style street circuit. I'd even go so far as to get rid of Monaco, that's a throwback to the "old" rich boys club and is frankly disgusting to see all that wealth with the world in it's current state...if grid girls can go then we can get rid of the obscene "Glamour" of monaco...crap track for fast cars too (awesome for caterhams!).

I also want to get rid of a lot of the crappier "tilke dromes", he's done some awesome tracks...but some absolute stinkers and I think it's this obsession to create artificial "overtake" zones for F1 that does all the harm, tracks need to be organic, they need to evolve.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 251 34.4%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 198 27.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 138 18.9%
  • Watch party

Votes: 60 8.2%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 18 2.5%