PC1 Is Project Cars realistic?

This is one of those topics that will never die. It is what it is. At the end of the day, I could care less what bucket a title is in. I recently listened to some buddies debate which shooter games were best...COD, Halo, Titanfall....They are into to those games the same way I'm into driving games. Every genre will have the question, what is best and why? As a consumer, the only thing that is important to me is that I feel like I've gotten the most for my money.

@neuer31
My criteria for judging a sim vs an arcade comes down to how the car handles to me. I don't really care about laser scanned tracks and pit lane features and etc.... Without going into a long post, I'll put it like this, Horizons 2 is arcade to me...the cars are numb and super easy to do whatever in. Whether you use a wheel or controller, you will find that you can be a driving god with very little input. On the other end of the spectrum (for me) is rFactor2. The cars are very communicative, my wheel responds the same way it does in a real car and the physics mimic what would happen in real life. Both are fun but in very different ways.

Project CARS is right in the middle for me.....where it does take some skill to keep the cars under control, they also seem easier to control than other sims...A/C, r3e and rF2. I find myself catching slides that I know I wouldn't be able to in other sims, let alone, real life. In A/C, when I go into a turn, I can feel weight transfer as my wheel loads up and gets a little stiff, then the stiffness lessons as the car rotates, then it disappears once the car is straight again. PCARS has none of that. I also can feel camber changes in the roads in other sims, not just bumps, but my wheel will pull to whatever angle the road is cambered on. I get none of that in PCARS. Yes, I can feel some bumps, take Monza or Satikko for example, but I never get a feeling like my car is skipping across the surface, which is what would happen in real life when taking a bumpy curve.
Damn, this post was longer than I intended, my bad. For me it's all about feeling and physics...can I feel what the car is doing and how the road feels. I think most would agree that Iracing is certainly a sim but in my opinion, the driving dynamics are, shall we say confusing to me. In Iracing, I feel like I'm driving to accommodate Iracings physics as opposed to driving the car all out like I would in rF2 or A/C.

A favorite test of mine is to pick a car and track that is in all or most of my sims and drive it back to back in each sim. Any of the Nurburgring courses are good or Monza as they all are bumpy and have camber and off camber turns. Decide for yourself which car communicates when you test...can you tell/fee when the car is understeering or oversteering? Can you tell when you've loaded up the outside tire and need to back off or adjust your steering input? If you're in a high speed sweeper, can you feel the car go light if there is an elevation change? Being that we don't have the benefit of g forces in sim racing, I for one, need all the feedback I can get. BUT, I have buddies that don't require that. They have the ability to eyeball everything so FFB and physics aren't as important as they are to me. They're also very good with controllers so take that for what it's worth.

But let me be very clear, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, so don't flame me bro. :) I am by no means a fast guy. I drive more for the challenge and enjoyment than lap times and victories. There is no right or wrong in this topic. With all of my sims, there are things that each one does better than the other. I love them all individually for their specific traits. But purely in terms of driving pleasure, devoid of graphics and sounds, PCARS (and Iracing for that matter) is lower on my scale. But when I factor in the "theater" of PCARS or the online community in Iracing, they quickly gain points as overall enjoyable experiences.

Again, sorry to be so long winded.

Well I respect you for being constructive however there is a bit I can both agree and disagree with you over. However I will not go into much of it out of respect you showed it so you get it back from me. For me and I have already said this GTR2 is my all time favorite and it's motto was easy to drive hard to master. Cars are easy to drive in RL with better ability to save a loss of control situation then you can in your top sim titles. This is fact since racing simulation software is not 100% true to life science. My opinion is pCARS handling is quite similar to GTR2 so if you say it's easier for you I won't argue that and yes there were those that called GTR2 Arcade(the word simcade did not exist back then) but the majority considered it a sim. Why should pCARS be considered differently when they are quite similar? Yes SMS has worked to improve the different elements of car physics and have gotten to a pretty good state after a complete rebuild of the physics engine. It's night and day better then the Shift titles and is a simulation with regards to physics. Should just the titles that people consider to be hardcore sim be the only ones considered to be sim? IMO no I don't think so and I do believe SMS achieved their goal to make an easier to jump into racing game title for better accommodation of the casual base. This does not mean it's not sim it just means the intent is for broader appeal so the person new to sim racing does not try the title for 10 minutes decides it's too hard and shelves it to go back to his favorite FPS title leaving a sour taste in his mouth over racing sims. rFactor did this quite well and in the early stages of my sim road racing career(I already had 3 years of oval racing under my belt) I enjoyed GTR2 because it was more forgiving then rF1. If I would have just tried to jump into rF1 first I might have given up on it all together because GPL was the same way and the Simbin titles were the only ones that did it for me till I built some experience. There were a lot of people at that time that were calling rF1 Ice Physics so the debate has gone on forever and will continue to do so but what can we do to improve forum communications along the way. The hard thing is some people don't want to see improvement on how the community communicates with one another and 3 that strongly fit that criteria are right here in the pCARS forum never to change their ways that is obvious. However people who deserve my respect will always get it from me if not I will apologize and admit when I am wrong I am not perfect.

• Deleted member 113561

What's funny about it Andy?
He is just spamming funny under every post he wants to dislike (he cant anymore as they took it out) accurately its an abuse of the system - wonder what the mods / admin are gonna say about it
Btw he did it already before they took out the dislike buttons - so its not his first time. Trolls are trolls and this one didnt change over the years. Im wondering what he is doing all day? Spamming & trolling in the internet?

Last edited by a moderator:
He is just spamming funny under every post he wants to dislike (he cant anymore as they took it out) accurately its an abuse of the system - wonder what the mods / admin are gonna say about it
Btw he did it already before they took out the dislike buttons - so its not his first time. Trolls are trolls and this one didnt change over the years. Im wondering what he is doing all day? Spamming & trolling in the internet?
I can assume he is in school in the day time.

I think he may have some issues.. APD may not be far from the truth. He keeps spamming everything I write, no matter where or about what. So yeah.. there's always one or two of these people on every forum. No biggie.

the result of using a physics engine not designed for a racing game or at least code from one like say…havok.

You dont see this happening in other racing games because their physics engines were designed for vehicles from second one and are custom in house engines. Slightly mad is pulling the wool over everyone’s eyes and using middleware to handle physics which would answer why they cant fix it. They aren’t allowed to modify the code.

What’s happening is the tires or some part of the vehicle are intersecting with the road which shouldn’t be able to happen for 2 reasons. First as mentioned above, the physics engine. Second is the tire model. It should prevent this when combined with a proper physics engine. Again why you don’t see it in any other actual sim.

Slightly mad is a den of thieves lying to everyone about their games, their engines and their physics setup.

--------------------

From PRC.

If it's wrong just correct it, but for godsake, stop acting like mods owe you favoritism.

As far as I know it's just a rebuilt version of ISI's game engine

And Quotes Like this(Below) are what make you a Total Troll and is uncalled for and does not belong in this forum space. GET A LIFE.

"Slightly mad is a den of thieves lying to everyone about their games, their engines and their physics setup."

This can be considered a personal attack on a group of individuals and should carry the same weight as an attack on a single individual. Actually this is worse.

Last edited:
I'd say it's pretty good. Especially now with the latest tire heating improvements (much more brutal.. you truly have to look out for your tires and drive optimum slip angle at all times or you are in trouble) it's very interesting to drive the things. There's still the camber bug though but apparently that has now been fixed and submitted for the next patch.

The Formula A is brutal. Once you tweak the car setup to be more realistic (the default setup is targeted towards gamepad players so you'll want to make it quite a bit more snappy) it's a true beast. In general I really like the progress from the rookie open wheel cars to the big boys. There's nice variety and they all feel unique.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 38 8.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 7.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.2%