Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

NVIDIA ‘Ada Lovelace’ & AMD ‘RDNA 3’ GPUs To Be Power Chugging Beasts; Over 400W Rumored
Rumors from Kopite7kimi, Greymon55, and Bondrewd suggest that the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 series flagship will consume around 400-500 Watts of power, a 20-40% increase.
1627679076265.png

EVGA 3080 with XOC BIOS is the same, why is it a breaking news?

• Deleted member 197115

The article may compare predicted power to e.g. RTX 3080 Founder Edition's 320 Watt spec.
EVGA 3080Ti is technically capable of
- 3 PCI-E 8 pin connectors x 150W= 450W
- PCI-E MB slot = 75W
525W total, but bounces off the BIOS limit during test run.
Sounds like it will be harder for AIB partners to squeeze more out of the next gen if Founder edition power will be maxed out already.

BTW, this is somewhat related to power consumption news.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cool part about this is that the it appears that the non-fresnel, aspheric lens on the Varjo 3 is the huge differentiating factor even with similar resolutions. Much of this clarity is purely VR lens quality which gives me hope.

The big question is how long it will take to get high quality aspheric lenses available for consumer grade VR headsets. Fingers crossed that it coincides with the 40 series release :)

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

If we can make it work on PC like the old one, that would make a killer HMD.
. . . includes the resolution of 4000×2040 pixels (2000×2040 per eye) and eye-tracking support for foveated rendering.
Other details from PSVR Without Parole’s video claim the device, codenamed NGVR (next-generation VR), uses an HDR OLED display and has a field of view (FOV) of 110 degrees, 10 more degrees than the original PSVR. Alongside foveated rendering, the new headset could also use a technique called flexible scaling resolution to further increase the performance of PSVR titles.

Last edited by a moderator:

A SHORT HISTORY OF EVERY TIME APPLE CEO TIM COOK PRAISED AUGMENTED REALITY

"I regard it as a big idea like the smartphone."
...augmented reality “is the next big thing” that it will “pervade our entire lives.”

After hyping the potential for AR all this time,
Cook surely doesn’t want Apple to repeat the failure of Google Glass
by launching iGlasses too soon, and definitely not before the technology meets Apple’s very high bar.

I have some Xioami products as they give quite good value for money, like the mi11 phone, a couple cheaper mi phones for the kids, smart lamps etc.

So I think they can do something and price it at a good price as that seems to be their goal.

The only thing, and with a bit of irony, will be if you cant use them if you need glasses and can only use them if you have good vision! I wear glasses and wonder if you could get them with a prescription or if a prescription would not work with their tech given the lenses would be ground differently than their tech may require.

The only thing, and with a bit of irony, will be if you cant use them if you need glasses and can only use them if you have good vision! I wear glasses and wonder if you could get them with a prescription or if a prescription would not work with their tech given the lenses would be ground differently than their tech may require.

Given that this is display tech and does not actually involve resolving far away objects.... Have to imagine we will eventually get a utility allowing you to enter your prescription which then automatically adjusts the HMD output to compensate without need for glasses/contacts/custom inserts/etc.

Last edited:
BTW, this is somewhat related to power consumption news.

Well that's irritating. This would likely apply to a few compact and limited-expandability, yet power-hungry desktops. A "server" or similar configuration should be fine. But more aggressive sleep modes and other power savings strategies can be expected in the future.

They have my permission to apply such rules to choke crypto-coin mining, but that scourge is not being addressed as far as I can see.

Given that this is display tech and does not actually involve resolving far away objects.... Have to imagine we will eventually get a utility allowing you to enter your prescription which then automatically adjusts the HMD output to compensate without need for glasses/contacts/custom inserts/etc.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. The optics still has a virtual distance at which the image is being projected. This is some number of feet (no-one could focus on a panel that's one inch away - if you could you might not need any optics at all), and it's fixed by the optics rather than being "programmable."

Think of it as akin to an .icc profile; but rather than color/luminosity it modifies the "blur" of the output to conform to your prescription, thereby making the virtual image sharp.

EDIT: Although a software based solution could handle more complex adjustments for things like astigmatism, a physical diopter adjustment would be just fine for most in the alternative:

Last edited:
Think of it as akin to an .icc profile; but rather than color/luminosity it modifies the "blur" of the output to conform to your prescription, thereby making the virtual image sharp.
It's a nice idea, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

A diopter adjustment is a big help to many glasses-wearers, and that works because its adjustment is still in the optical domain. But I'm not aware of a headset that includes one. That's probably because the diopter adjustment lens must be about the same size as the viewing lens (and also about the same size as your eyeglasses).

Last edited:
Have to disagree and say that it works in a similar way - if you were to look through my diopter adjusted camera you would see a blurry mess vs. an in focus image. The HMD's output is blurred in such a manner that it is "in focus" for normal vision when one adjusts their vision to far field vs. trying to focus on the screens themselves which are 1" away. The manner in which the blur adjustment is applied does not affect perception - all that matters is adjusting that "blur" such that it works for a particular prescription vs. 20/20. That said, the computational power required to implement such a solution while maintaining acceptable frame rates/stuttering/etc. may be too great (for now).

Last edited:
What is being done in VR displays now is not "vision correction", it's "distortion correction." Because the optics in consumer HMDs are so awful, the display distorts the image to compensate. The image is inversely distorted to counter the distortion in the optics. Yes, that looks "blurry" in the periphery since that's where the maximum distortion is applied.

What's discussed in that article is not vision correction via software. It appears to be a "coded-aperture mask" containing an array of pinholes that must be held in front of the display. The mask must be precisely tuned to each user (and likely each individual eye, in fact), and the position of the mask must be pixel accurate. In this case, the mask acts as a flat lens.

Beyond that, it's just hard to know what they are proposing on the software side since there's so little real information in that article and video. If you are interested, you can look up whatever paper(s) the researchers have produced on the topic. But don't expect some miraculous software-based vision correction from them any time soon. It still requires a "lens", just a mask-based one, and one with the disadvantage of it only working for one person (or one eye of one person), and making the display dimmer, since it works by blocking about half the light.

There was a very interesting idea for sunglasses a while back that's a little similar. Imagine that your sunglasses are black and white LCD displays. You then activate (make transparent) a single pixel and race it across the entire display in a raster fashion. This creates a moving pinhole, which can act to correct near or far vision (looking through a small pinhole, just about everything is equally sharp). This went no-where, but it's an example of making a simple mask-based imaging system, turning a flat filter (this time an LCD) into a lens of sorts. It could work well for a HMD, even, but at a severe cost in display brightness.

Last edited:
So 4090 is supposed to be OVER 200% faster than the 3090.

That should actually be enough to get us what we really want to push high res, wide field of view VR headsets :)

Fingers crossed!!!!

• Deleted member 197115

Well, this is interesting but not entirely unexpected, at least it is not a definite No, yet.

I really wish GT7 was coming to PC with VR. Not that I am particularly hurting for sims to play but it just strikes me its a monumental missed opportunity everytime it only comes out on Playstation, its not worth buying a console and a whole other VR headset and controllers etc just to be in that ecosystem for the occasional exclusive to run it on inferior hardware.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 52 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 33 5.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.3%