Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Pimax is bundling their systems with Valve controllers and base stations. There is no point in them reinventing the wheel.

It makes little sense for a company their size to focus on anything except the headset.

I do believe it is the company that leads the way in VR, but it is also a company that is hard to trust!
I think I have commented on this issue before (somewhere :rolleyes:).
This issue where Pimax does promise a lot of things and then dont delever is probably something cultural behind this chinese company.

When you hear interviews with the few of the spokesmen from the company who understand (somewhat:sleep:) english then its more or less obvious that they dont realise that if they behaved trustworthy in their marketing they could probably sell the double number of their VR kits.:cool:
They completely dont understand this - probably because this way of behaving is the normal way of making bussinezz in China.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Actually its some kind of proof of this conclusion that they have hired one of the most un-trustworthy of the european VR influencers to help them marketing these VR kits. :sneaky::roflmao::sneaky:

Pimax is bundling their systems with Valve controllers and base stations. There is no point in them reinventing the wheel.

It makes little sense for a company their size to focus on anything except the headset.
Well they charged the crowdfunding people money for controllers so yes f.... they have to make them or give the people the Vive ones.
Not just ignore the issue!
Same with eye tracking clame it is an option but they have no product!
This is the main reason I will not buy anything from them otherwise I would have a 5K+

Sure throw the baby out with the bath water!

The 8K+ and 8KX could still be state of the art for that segment regardless of the other crap.

All that said, I would NEVER be an early adopter of their hardware. I would wait for them start to ship and wait for early reports. from others, but I wouldn't write them off because of what they can't do.

I had a pretty high amount of faith that Valve would deliver and it did. I've really enjoyed the last 4+ months I've had with my Index. I don't have that level of faith in Pimax. I think they are equally likely to start shipping in June as they are in April. However, I do think it is possible that they could have a fantastic product. Whether they do or not is not my concern because I wouldn't jump in until they had proven themselves.

Whether they do or not is not my concern because I wouldn't jump in until they had proven themselves.
Yeah thats also my attitude. I dont trust them at all - but IF buyers are beginning to recieve the 8KX in reasonable numbers AND some trustworthy reviewers are saying good for the delevered THEN I will (probably:sneaky: ) open my wallet.;)

Just saw that expectations are that NVidia will be announcing their next gen GPU's March 20th. If they have DP 2.0 support, the 8KX will be probably have an upgraded version soon after.

1580144286509.jpg

• Deleted member 197115

Hopes are high but most likely another prototype patent that will not see the production, similar to previous panoramic 180 degrees curved screen HMD.
It's over a year old patent after all.
The above patent was published recently, however it was filed on January 3rd, 2019, so there’s no telling when/if the design will find its way to other main patent offices soon as the process may differ from country to country.

Hand tracking with inside out cameras could be very useful in VR. Consider having your hands tracked while you are driving and if left hand moved a few inches away from the wheel having a small section of inside out view visible showing you a button box or where your drink is.

Directly tracking of your hands with the Quest looks very cool especially for games like flight simulators with a pile of active internal controls although Linus says it is VERY much alpha right now and pretty clunky.

Hopefully Oculus and Valve will eventually release usable hand tracking in the future for these kinds of controls. Obviously this is currently available through 3rd parties as a separate piece of hardware. For the Index it might be nice if they would plug directly into that USB expansion slot in front.

I saw this hand tracking test with the Valve Index Camera a few months ago and wonder where it is currently.

Hand tracking would be nice if SteamVR published an API for it. 3th party providers will likely not be able to make a standard.
Still if would not not make my top 10 list for improvements I would like to see in my next headset.
I think I jumped the gun when I bought my RTX 2070.

Me too! :whistling:
Even it was a big jump up from my previous GTX 970.
Could AMD get it's Windows driver to preform like it's Linux drivers I would change to AMD GPU in a hard-beat.

I think hand tracking could be very useful in VR. I hope it comes to fruition. I'm not saying I need it, but it may be a feature that can be delivered in the short term and not require huge GPU or CPU power which seems to be a rarity in terms of VR. I suspect that once it is available very interesting uses for it will come about.

I am sure it could but Sim racing software develop very slowly so would take years to implement.

My list of features I would like to see in my next headset. Listed in my priority!
FOV 130 degrees or larger.
Real colors. Oled RGB or similar.
Resolution 2160 X 1440. Not interested in ultra high Res as I do not want to spend +$1000 on a GPU
FOVE. Even just as an option. ( Not the Pimax option timeline! :D)
Better lenses. And would happy pay for them.
Lightweight with better ventilation. carbon fiber frame and textile maybe?
Better comfort. Easy to clean face cover
Lag free Wireless connection. Might actual play room scale games if there wasn't any cable dragging.

Since it will be more expensive I would like to see a headset that could be up-graded!
Better display, FOVE and likely future hand /face tracking?

Pimax now doing a firmware update that gives 144hz in their small fov for the 5k+

Also the 120hz fov being expanded to the normal setting Instead of the now where fov was reduced from original to make 120hz work.

should be out in a couple of weeks. While the company still doesnt have the polish of a big named player, they’re starting to step up all around so good to see.

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 245 37.0%
  • Porsche

Votes: 252 38.0%
  • BMW

Votes: 235 35.4%
  • McLaren

Votes: 154 23.2%
  • Toyota

Votes: 251 37.9%
  • Intel

Votes: 85 12.8%