Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Start about 4:30 into the video.
The key stat is retention. What he mentioned was that historically many people got VR headsets tried them out and then they collected dust. However now the new headsets are seeing use.

However later on in the video he mentions that MS is ONLY supporting the G2 for the flight simulator and nothing else. Hmmm...

This is for SteamVR only and doesn't include stand alone VR systems.
1596801265355.png

I am well over 1300 hours in SteamVR now and I know full well that I have spent hundreds of hours in Windows Mixed Reality separately from SteamVR. Its mostly sim racing and IL2 but I spend as much time in VR as I do my top pancake games. The original Vive I didn't spend that much time in, it was cool but the Odyssey+ was a vast improvement you need that better screen especially for racing.

Called it!

HTC is dropping out of the Consumer VR market and will focus on only the Commercial market.

They may have been the first out with a complete VR system, but have fallen by the wayside with nothing that stands out in any niche. Valve made a better base station VR system and Oculus made a better Inside out system. Now the HP Reverb G2 looks like the sim headset of choice. HTC isn't best at anything or even a good value in any segment of this market.

Hopefully Valve will sell the trackers since currently that is a Vive only thing.

I use an HP Reverb probably 75% of the time either driving or flight simming. The only exception is F1 2020, which is a shame because it’s quite the complete F1 race weekend experience.

But Assetto Corsa in VR driving the RSS F1 Hybrid 2020 mod is a much better driving experience. The improved depth perception and car rotation information received in VR is far superior to a 2D view. Probably 2 seconds a lap better in cockpit view. I refuse to drive in T-cam or roof cam mode, because it seems so arcade.. Most drivers must use T-cam judging by the number of YT videos in this mode. If they knew how good it can be in VR, they might go back to cockpit view.

ACC, rf2, AMS2, and DR2 are all excellent in VR. ACC is an exceptionally good implementation.

I’ve got an HP Reverb G2 on order. So much for being dead.

Shame about HTC!
Use to be the best but also too expensive as soon as competition started.
Might be the dead of lighthouse tracking.
Vale Index better get those cameras to work for inside-out tracking or sales will stop very fast.

Shame about HTC!
Use to be the best but also too expensive as soon as competition started.
Might be the dead of lighthouse tracking.
Vale Index better get those cameras to work for inside-out tracking or sales will stop very fast.

Wow!

First, I believe you already know that the cameras on the Valve won't work for that application. This was covered a while ago.

Don't assume your priorities are expressed by the rest of the market. For room scale, base station tracking is the absolute best available by a margin.

For sim use, get a Reverb G2 if you don't care about hand tracking.

Keep in mind that once you are set up you are done. I have two small base stations mounted near my ceiling in the corners of my room scale area. That's all. I never have to mess with them again.

FYI, I set mine up about a year ago and it truly is a one time operation. I've never had to recalibrate it unlike my original Rift which would periodically get screwy and need recalibration.

I fully expect my next purchase to be a headset by itself. Then I can continue to use my state of the art tracking with state of the art hand controllers.

Last edited:
Not everybody that got base stations and if you can't get them the headset is worthless without some form of tracking.
Off course the cameras can be used for tracking.
My prediction is that no new headset will ever use those kind of base stations again.
As they do a job that can be done better and much cheaper with cameras.
I know you do not agree but the manufactures and the market agree!

Not everybody that got base stations and if you can't get them the headset is worthless without some form of tracking.
My prediction is that no new headset will ever use those kind of base stations again.

Cheaper? Yes. Better? No. It's likely going to be quite some time before you're prediction is relevant and even then there will likely still be use cases that require precision and repeatability that camera based tracking is not capable of. https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-cosmos-accuracy-test-controller/

standard-dev-fellbach.jpg

• Deleted member 197115

Vive Cosmos has the worst tracking implementation known to mankind.
Rift-S seems to be doing pretty well, so is WMR, we'll see how much better new 4 cameras WMR do.
Ideal scenario, headset has inside tracking working for 90% of the users and 100% simracers, with ability to pair with external stations for more precise controllers tracking for hardcore room scale enthusiasts.
I believe Sebastian already tried that with G2, it works.

Cheaper? Yes. Better? No. It's likely going to be quite some time before you're prediction is relevant and even then there will likely still be use cases that require precision and repeatability that camera based tracking is not capable of. https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-cosmos-accuracy-test-controller/

standard-dev-fellbach.jpg

Oh I just love it when somebody stuffs a graph in front of my face without any explanation of the units or terminology used, and then expects me to simply accept it.

Don't worry though. I figured it out pretty quickly - there's a reason that when I was younger I was by far the fastest sperm cell.

Right now the Valve Index is a pretty hot commodity. Pimax is still going as well.

I whole heartedly agree that inside out tracking is where the bulk of the mid tier stuff will be. That will be the largest market. It is a compromise that many will be happy to live with.

I expect to see base station tracking remaining a large force in the enthusiast market where the Index is now and is selling very well. The precision is very nice if you care about it. If you don't care, than don't get an enthusiast headset.

• Deleted member 197115

You keep using word "enthusiast", enthusiast of what exactly?

• Deleted member 197115

G2 through the lenses

G2 Tracking

G2 Screens and lenses

I just upgraded from an i5 2500k, with 1080, to an i7 9700k and zotac 2080ti. VR just came alive in a big way. Lol. Firing up acc was like playing a different game. I now cant wait for the reverb g2 to hit the shelves.

As if the company couldn't suck any harder. They manage.

Geeze that's right up there with all the virtual ads that people are anticipating littering the screen at some point in the future.

Companies will find as many ways to monetize things as they can!

• Deleted member 197115

As if the company couldn't suck any harder. They manage.
Totally unexpected.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 60 9.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • Yearly

Votes: 39 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.2%