Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I saw this day coming before I even bought my CV1 in 2016.. as such made a point to buy all my games through Steam (outside a few exclusives) with the plan of jumping ship before things got too stupid. Got my Index last Nov and haven't looked back. Facebook is straight up cancer for the societies we live in plain and simple.

Wow! Strong words, but likewise I purchased almost everything through Steam so I wouldn't be trapped. I still have a couple Oculus exclusives I'll never see again like Robo Recall and The Climb.

• Deleted member 197115

Thought you were being sarcastic. I guess not.
Guess the only one who didn't expect that was Palmer. :roflmao:

So now, we have
- Oculus is essentially out of PC sector
- HTC phasing out completely
- WMR in limbo state, G2 could be the last of Mohicans. No WMR 2.0 in sight or new headsets from other WMR partners like Samsung.
- Valve is just cashing out on old tech with no real innovations in VR space

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Valve has innovated quite a bit and they certainly had a very positive impact on the G2.

If Valve helps to main stream solid ergonomics, better lens technology and excellent audio, that's a pretty good thing even if you ignore everything else.

• Deleted member 197115

Wish open speakers were optional, not the best thing if you need isolation in and out.

AKG was experimenting with this design in their K1000, but the approach didn't take off due to impracticality and I haven't seen any big guys headphone manufacturers adopting it.
1597879389383.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You got all the hot takes!

Index speakers are removable though and there's a 1/8 jack on the hmd if I want to 'upgrade'. While I might not choose them as a stand alone audio listening solution, the off-ear approach is fantastic in VR where I'm already wearing a heated helmet :p It also helps reinforce the illusion of 'being there' since the sound is emanating from a short distance away which does a convincing job of tricking spacial perception.

Valve is arguably the company that's advanced VR the most out of any... Early Oculus benefited greatly from riding their coattails (dual screens, mechanical ipd, low persistance, spacial audio, etc) and turned their DK1/2 approach Palmer scraped from early VR enthusiest forums into CV1. Then they poached Abrash and sold out to Facebook!

Since then Valve has continued to meaningfully push the technology forward for enthusiasts (frame rate, fov, clarity, standardization, spacial audio, platform agnosticism...) while Fb dumbs it down for the mass appeal while taking bold anti consumer steps to further corner technology in service of the authoritarian corporate dystopian hellscape foundation they're laying.

• Deleted member 197115

G2 is missing jack, although you can remove headphones just as Index.

G2 doesn't have a jack? Lame but that's on HP not Valve. That being the case though it means it's just a matter of time before 3rd party solutions that mount the same way are going to show up like there were options to replace the stock CV1 heahphones.

Index doesn't leave consumers with enough motivation to seek solutions beyond using the onboard jack in the off chance they don't like the off-ears but G2 lacks that jack and will almost certainly be adopted in much larger numbers. It's that much cheaper and has class leading clarity as well as viable inside out tracking, Decent controllers, native SteamVR integration plus HP is solidly in the hardware business.

I didn't think that the Index speakers were removable. I plan on using the G2 speakers as I did with the Index, but if they are removable on the G2 at least you have the option of using whatever you want. A cable from the PC or a bluetooth / wireless headset are then your options. The mic is disabled when you use the jack on the G1 so that really does suck for someone that uses earbuds instead of the stock headphones.

It took me months and by accident to realise that the earbud mic is what I was using all that time. I nearly fell over when I did a mic check with them disconnected and heard the actual mic of the Reverb being used. I have no idea why they made that design choice, but if it's not a technical limitation, it absolutely was the wrong one.

I think the important thing is that arguments and personal priorities aside, VR is continuing to advance at a reasonable pace. You can argue that the computer hardware requirements are still steep, some titles like ACC are not well optimized yet, and VR headsets aren't quite where we want them, but everything is improving nicely.

Over the last year I've had my Index, I've seen the software drivers or optimization in some titles improve dramatically. I remember when Dirt Rally 2.0 released VR support and it took some fiddling to get it to work reasonably well. Now I can run 120 fps if I want to. I remember some claiming that there was no way that you would be able to run over 90 fps in a sim and in most titles that is no longer the case and in some I can run 144 fps.

A year ago the Reverb had teething pains but showed promise and this year it looks like they have all the kinks worked out and are releasing a well polished product. The fact that a Reverb can even be run on existing hardware at native resolution is pretty impressive.

The G2 allowing a good experience at half resolution if a person's hardware isn't powerful enough is great for people who don't have a top end system. It's also great for people who are waiting for the 30 series before upgrading but want a better experience now.

We have the Nvidia 30 series to look forward to this Fall and new Unreal engine features that will allow truly amazing image maps scaled as needed to support a wide variety of resolutions in a very efficient manner. Along with that, SSD prices continue to drop in price so we will be able to store these huge image maps that will be coming. I was just looking at a 4Tb SSD drive with a 1.5 million hour MTBF for about $600.

We are seeing enough critical mass in VR to start seeing economies of scale and areas of expertise being shared. Sure we lost HTC and Oculus is going the way of Big Brother, but we have a lot of new hardware coming.

I'm pretty excited out the next VR headset announcements.

With the Oculus Rift S at $400, and the Reverb G2 at $600, we are seeing a HUGE difference in just $200. HUGE!!! I can't wait to see the next headset that Valve announces and I suspect that everything announced from this point on will be much more polished.

I think one reason that we haven't heard any big announcements from companies like Samsung is that they are regrouping. They've seen the bar raised and they don't want to release anything that doesn't create a big splash. So I suspect the wait will be worth it.

• Deleted member 197115

Microsoft is holding Virtual Reality Developer event today.
Section on HP Reverb G2 breakdown. @48:00

• Deleted member 197115

Darn, no physical volume control on headset. :(

Sad to see it's missing on the HP.
There is one more headset that has volume control: the first generation Oculus Rift CV1. I'm very happy with my Oculus remote: volume control and making selections in the Oculus menu.
oculus_remote_usage_guide.jpg

Hi,
i just bought a PIMAX Artisan, if you have any questions.

It works fine with IRacing, AC, Rfactor2, AMS2, PC2, R3E. Not so with ACC but it's not a surprise.

I'm using an I7 7700K and an RTX2080.

If you own a VR headset, and you're into combat flight sims then VTOL VR is stunning - a must have for any serious VR game collection.

Everything is clickable and does something important, plus the depth to the gameplay is incredible. You'll need to manage multiple complex systems in order to complete the missions successfully.

Get over the slightly cartoony graphics - this is not an arcade shoot-em-up and once you get into it you'll find that this is something with immense depth, serious replayability, and a great feeling of immersion and realism. And all designed from the ground up specifically for VR. Oh and the challenge is as hard as coffin nails.

$30 on Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/667970/VTOL_VR/

Disclaimer - I have nothing to do with the dev of this, I've just found something I find totally enjoyable and just wanted to share.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%