F1 2012 Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia - T5 and T6

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
I'm seriously struggling here and can't wrap my head around what the car is doing through these corners.
Nine times out of ten when i go through this section i understeer horribly. But the times i do make it though cleanly it seems to be because i've kept the throttle buried instead of lifting.
I can't understand why lifting would cause understeer while keeping the pedal to the metal allows me to stay on line.

Is it the game or is it me?
*frustrated*

EDIT - xbox, MS wheel, no assists

Maybe it's a setup issue? I don't really have a problem on this one. On the entry of T5 try lifting and then flat out and before T6 trying lifting again until you feel the grip and go flat out again.

T14 is a nightmare, though. On Legend I lose 0.2 do 1.4s there, can almost never get it right.

I can't understand why lifting would cause understeer while keeping the pedal to the metal allows me to stay on line.
Weird mass distribution, that makes you gain downforce when accelerating (because the nose goes up a bit) and lose it when slowing down (because of the nose diving down)?
I always set my gears in a way, that lets me reach the corner #5 on 5th gear flat and (without lifting) drop a gear on entry to turn #6. Then I get a decent acceleration towards the short straight and turns #7 & #8.

I'm seriously struggling here and can't wrap my head around what the car is doing through these corners.
Nine times out of ten when i go through this section i understeer horribly. But the times i do make it though cleanly it seems to be because i've kept the throttle buried instead of lifting.

Is it the game or is it me?
*frustrated*

EDIT - xbox, MS wheel, no assists

I'm on PC, don't know if this will help you.

I've been getting understeer when I actually push the throttle. If you don't push the throttle - your car has a lot more grip. Anyways, you get understeer when you fully lift off because rear end tries to slide. Go figure why. It's just like this in this game. Don't know why, it's not setup-related. I've tried understeering setups and it's still the same. First corners of sector 2 on Bahrain are the same. You get understeer if you lift off or if you give throttle. So it's a must to get understeer mid-corner. Stupid, but... You'll have to cope with it. =/

Never had too much of a problem with these turns, except messing up the turn 5 entry by turning too early or late. When on low fuel I can normally do both corners totally flat out, but the line has to be absolutely perfect to do that. 9 times out of 10 I'll make a little 'confidence' lift between 4 and 5 to balance the car better and it seems to fly through.

I take T5 very close to flat out, then shift upto 6th, (with my setup) halfway around T5, and then back down to 5th for T6, assuming i get a good line, but if i dont then i might need to downshift to 4th for T6.

2 critical factors to get Malaysia right,
1) A good setup, with Med-High downforce,
2) Practice, Practice, Practice.

It's got quite a few unconventional corners that just take practice, simple as that.

Good luck!

Give yourself more grip on the front or back end depending on whether you have under steer or over steer in your set up, but make sure you don't set it so your tyres die out. Give a slight lift as your going through both corners but make sure you don't slow down to a halt. ;)

In low fuel I will take 5 flat and 6 I will try to keep flat but I will probably slightly ease off the throttle on entry to get the car pointed in. I don't keep DRS open through there though, I tried it once and it ended badly. I'm sure it is possible but I'm not a good enough of a driver to do it.

Thanx for all the replies guys. I guess i need to look at my line through there as well as look at my set up again.
I probably turned 100 laps before the race on Thursday and never had a problem getting into T5. But the switch to T6 is where my inconsistency comes.

I think the problem is brake bias.

In Malaysia I was understeering in the transition frokm T5 to T6 and running 53/47.
Last night I was practising for the Chinese race and my setup also used 53/47 brake bias. And i was understeering through the transition from T7 to T8 (similar corners to the Malaysia T5 and T6). I moved my brake bias back to 48/52 and instantly a lot of the understeer was gone. I changed nothing else in the setup.

What really confuses me is that i don't use the brakes through those corners. So how can changing the brake bias change the balance of the car so much when i'm not braking?!?!?!?

i rarely have problems here at T4 but T5 is very well..i think you should enter the turn from outside its helping to me and also for you.i have problem with T14 i think i loosing at T14 0.5sec per lap..but this is really hard to join well with keyboard :D nevertheless you try to join corners from outside this is good tactic for highspeed corners..good luck and if you loosing braking go setup and make brake disc large its helping too

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.