LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Ok mate, I didn't actually mean that you have to do it, maybe some of the players, people often do this you know...

I would but the sheer size of it little bit scares me, I'm slowly running out of hard disc. :D
Yeah no worries... only been on here for a few hours... so there will maybe be some at some point. (oh look there's a video clip above of a lost post man lol)

Yeah it is huge, 900km² terrain, just the main loop is almost twice as long as the Nordschleife...

Lol tried to head towards the Dam/Reservoir area, swiftly realised that your 'road closed' signs should be obeyed!

Great drive on the way there though, really the feel is night and day from the previous version, what with the road width/marking/junctions etc

uIWaB7eh.jpg

0xPAumZh.jpg

GIadBb8h.jpg

f8dpsZah.jpg
That is one awesome looking van :)
Nice to see it in the canyons... Those closed roads will open up soon... although they're more work in progress than the main loop.

Cheers for suggesting, with other people about putting in the junctions... as you can see... I took the advice on board ;)

I live 10 minutes away from Angeles Crest and have been up there well over 100 times on my motorcycle, and a few dozen in a car. I just wanted to thank you for the amount of time put into this, It's VERY accurate to the real road and far improved over the first version. Hopped in a GT3RS and did a few laps of the full loop, I immediately knew/recognized every single corner and the road felt true to life. The foliage and signs are a nice touch as well. Will you be finishing the road up to Newcomb's Ranch and also back down to the bottom in La Canada? Also would be nice to see the rest of Angeles Forest Highway up to that long straightaway, that spot is frequently used for drag racing in real life and would be a great spot to do so online as well. Understandable if you don't have the time to do so, but it would be awesome to see these areas included. Just sent a donation your way for all of the hard work, thanks again for the awesome recreation of ACH!

Right now, there does not seem to be a server up and running with this track. However, I plan on hosting one starting in some hours. Just woke up and am still pretty tired. Coffee first.

Alright... setup a server. Just from bandwith alone, it should be ok for a 57 slot server. However, I don't really know if it can handle it. So next step, testing. It will be online for a while. Please just contact me here on RD for any questions.

As always, one cannot please everyone so the settings are what they are and will most likely not change without a good reason. So please do not complain. I tried to get a good mix of cars in there, hopefully it's ok for everyone.

Servername is "LA Canyons - Public Freeroam - by shmafoozius". For all with bad pings: Server is located in Germany, so you're most probably not on the same continent. :p

//Edit: I'll join sometime later today

Found one wrong face :p in the 2nd pulloff east of the west corner, I believe (I was running the reverse layout, it's the first major intersection you get to on the forward layout)
qksfjCf.jpg

One other comment, on the horseshoes turns the scrubby bushes along the more distant road look kinda weird, maybe they should be scattered across the intervening canyon too. Just for the spots where the road loops back on itself.

I live 10 minutes away from Angeles Crest and have been up there well over 100 times on my motorcycle, and a few dozen in a car. I just wanted to thank you for the amount of time put into this, It's VERY accurate to the real road and far improved over the first version. Hopped in a GT3RS and did a few laps of the full loop, I immediately knew/recognized every single corner and the road felt true to life. The foliage and signs are a nice touch as well. Will you be finishing the road up to Newcomb's Ranch and also back down to the bottom in La Canada? Also would be nice to see the rest of Angeles Forest Highway up to that long straightaway, that spot is frequently used for drag racing in real life and would be a great spot to do so online as well. Understandable if you don't have the time to do so, but it would be awesome to see these areas included. Just sent a donation your way for all of the hard work, thanks again for the awesome recreation of ACH!

Awesome that you're local to the area and find it Very accurate, and that you recognise all the corners. I was hoping it was accurate... But a little hard for me to tell, seeing as I'm from over the pond :)

Many thanks for your donation :)
Check your emails mate, and you'll find a link to all the roads I will attempt to detail...
39kms of Angeles Crest, Big Tujunga, Mount Wilson Red Box Road, that extension on Angeles Forest, with 4 lane section... all driveable.
You now have full access to the whole, huge area... I hope you have fun, drive safe :)

Anyone who has been kind enough to support either of my tracks with a donation...
Check your emails for Access to the whole area... No gates will stop you now on Freeroam ;)

Have fun exploring the extra roads... You can now drive on 150km's of roads.
They are more work in progress than the main loop... But when you get an idea of the hugeness... you'll understand why :D

The gates are now open for you...
road_open_01.jpg

Right now, there does not seem to be a server up and running with this track. However, I plan on hosting one starting in some hours. Just woke up and am still pretty tired. Coffee first.
Cheers mate, hope the server runs well, will have to join when I get some free time... check your emails to have full access ;) Nothing like a little wake up juice :D

Cool, it's afternoon here, although I'm driving in early morning under a cloudy sky.. really cool fantastic job @Phoenix77 !
68D5D9B6EFCC68E4B7B385FA9CAC4AA494F31EDF

And this is early evening:
D2DD781311689E0FFCA4BBE53E13C7E46E0DC989
Thanks mate, really glad you enjoying the huge difference. cool screens as well :)
Have fun mate, check your emails to explore the whole area in Freeroam :)

Found one wrong face :p in the 2nd pulloff east of the west corner, I believe (I was running the reverse layout, it's the first major intersection you get to on the forward layout)
qksfjCf.jpg

One other comment, on the horseshoes turns the scrubby bushes along the more distant road look kinda weird, maybe they should be scattered across the intervening canyon too. Just for the spots where the road loops back on itself.
Well spotted mate... @correca already let me know of that one... but was after I packed it all into the kn5's and compressed... so I will get that done for next time, along with other edges etc... Cheers for letting me know mate.

And regarding the bushes... They're the awesome work of @Ben O'Bro so I'm sure he'll know what to do with them... There will be larger foliage accentuating the small bushes... and Ben has plenty of other plans... But those will be revealed later on ;)

How long do you realistically think this huge project will take you to 'complete'? Or do you see it more as a rolling project that will be updated ad infinitum?

Awesome work, though, and even more awesome dedication :confused::thumbsup:

How long do you realistically think this huge project will take you to 'complete'? Or do you see it more as a rolling project that will be updated ad infinitum?

Awesome work, though, and even more awesome dedication :confused::thumbsup:
That's a tricky question to answer mate... Especially as this update was supposed to be out in April :D
The terrain groundwork (over 900km²), road stitching for around 150km etc was most of the work... but that's mostly been done. Now it's mainly scattering foliage and other things... resources permitting... the la_canyon folder is 695mb's already... but just the AI / Ideal lines are 230mbs of that. The (extra roads) 39km Angeles Crest AI line alone is 107mb.... And that's before adding the High Res FFB meshes... with smaller edges. This project is quite a beast! lol

I will concentrate more on the main loop to start with... then if it is still running :D
will dedicate more resources to the extra roads.

Thanks a lot mate... An awesome from yourself... is like a 10x Awesome combo :D
And yeah this has taken much more dedication than I at first realised

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 29 4.9%
  • Yearly

Votes: 36 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.4%