PC1 Latest Build testing.

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
As you all know, Ian gave me a free pass to test the latest builds and that's what I have been doing for the last week. I will report here as and when I see fit to tell all about my findings.

But I will say that the latest build (296) is quite good. Now lets make some sense of my statement. I used a Lotus 98T in helmet cam using my antique MOMO red wheel and I can honestly report it is coming along much better than I anticipated. The actual feel and immersion is damn fine at this point. The handling is strange at first compared to say...RF2 and FVA, but it grows on you within minutes. At this point in time, this actual car feels good. I like it and I love the Milan circuit. The damage model has come on leaps and bounds.

I am doing some more testing all of next week using a G27 and I will also test some of the other cars that don't interest me as much (I am a F1 nut) and see how the feel in comparison to Shift 2, because that is what I was initially comparing PCars to.

I would like the replay function to have a directors mode though. Something that jumps from action to action and from car to car.

Aside from that, the replay's do crash my PC quite often but I understand that is being looked at.

Watch this space.

I'm disappointed yet again with the latest build. My system seems to run slower with each build. Yes the graphics are nice but I realised many years ago that pretty graphics do not make a keeper. And as for the feel of the physics and FFB, why can't it feel as good as the GTR or Race 07 series by now? Maybe it's just me but I don't get it. I want it to feel just like them, but have the fantastic graphics that it has. Surely that's not much to ask? I'll keep on testing the latest build in my own time, when I get the time until they stop me. I am hoping that the physics will get a complete turnaround soon.

Andy that's not going to happen, you've to remember those sims are unrealistic and too hard despite having a better physical response, natural feel and superior force feedback. We must adjust to the new benchmark of vehicle simulation that is PCARS and forget all other sims and real cars we've driven and seen in the past.

Andy, have you tried Jack Spade's FFBTweaker's? Makes a world of difference for me. (without them default FFB is pretty loose and numb)
But why is the default FFB so? They have experts working on this, not modders. And ONT, My PC should run PCars fine. I know how to optimize a games settings. I have been racing MP since god knows when too. I use Race 07 here now for my MP fun. I will certainly never pay for the pleasure of MP either, so Iracing is out for me. As for linear development and not expecting it, you are right I don't but I did expect improvements in the physics by now.
:)

But why is the default FFB so? They have experts working on this, not modders.
Very good question. I don't like it either, Jack's files should be linked to in the weekly build feedback threads. I would make them default if it was up to me.

I think possibly the devs are waiting to update ffb because:
1. maybe they want to give the physics/tire model more time to mature before FFB is adapted to each car?
2. Jack (and a few others) seem to be pretty good at tweaking ffb and they are letting these guys do their work for them (sure seems this way)
3. They expect testers to be able to tweak ffb by themselves

I have read about Casey Ringley having his own ffb tweakers posted somewhere but haven't found them

I really don't understand how they can expect testers to comment on car/tyre physics without decent ffb (or halfway decent) to give them the information on what the car is doing.

I would also agree that there is a need to update FFB and default setups for all cars.

But likely not going to happen until SETA tires are worked on some more.

There is still cars that don't have proper tires (stock car on F1 tires would be one of them).

There is lots of FFB files and car specific setups in forum.

At this point it looks like testing, tweaking and posting input in car specific physics thread
is the most productive thing to do.

On a side note, if You load the 2 new cars ford/merc You need to close sim after testing,

But why is the default FFB so? They have experts working on this, not modders. And ONT, My PC should run PCars fine. I know how to optimize a games settings. I have been racing MP since god knows when too. I use Race 07 here now for my MP fun. I will certainly never pay for the pleasure of MP either, so Iracing is out for me. As for linear development and not expecting it, you are right I don't but I did expect improvements in the physics by now.
:)
They have FFB experts? :unsure: What exactly is their expertise then, if I may ask?

I'm a lowest member for a weekly build in pCARS,
and mostly run oval racing in iRacing for sim racing.

Would like to see more good sims on the market, so I give my
input in the pCARS forum (and lot's of it not sugar coated, but no warning yet lol).

Don't You think a lot of comments here about pCARS souds like
Statler & Waldorf

You must be reading someone else posts ;)

I think in my 3 posts on pCARS her I'v pointed out FFB "clipping" in default settings,
missing bridges in last build and cars that require the sim to be closed down after testing.

Hardly a 'all is hunky dory" reflection on the state of pCARS.

But I think with a push in the right direction something may come out of this project.

I don't post much on car behavior, other drivers have better RL experience.

But I do fight for full control of cars at start, pit and yellow flags.

I would like a lot of what iRacing has in there MP.

Edit: I see You edited You'r post from the accusations lol . I'll make sure to quote You next time :D

Some of this doesnt pertain to latest build testing :) People are going to hate it and people are going to love it. It still drives funky to me, but im no sim expert (im only rfactor, iracing and r3e these days) and am not going to judge its direction. Especially when im too lazy to adjust the ffb, lol. Im not cut out for beta testing. Having to tweak this and adjust that and re map my buttons every week is getting tiresome. I will continue to test every now and then but am more excited for final release :)

I tried Build 397 on a wheel today for the first time in about six months and came away disappointed, steering accuracy/precision is still lacking and the cars are slow to respond to my steering inputs and just feel wobbly in general.

The FFB was poor, with little feel of the car and connection to the track, all I could feel was jolts going over bumps and the steering going very light as soon as the car understeered. It was also very diifficult to feel the rear end and weight shifting, the natural countersteer was way too light, the wheel had more power returning to center with a sharp jolt. It just feels like a canned noisy mess, the things I want to feel are either are too weak or overshadowed by other unimportant effects. Compared to other well known sims like GSC it's nowhere near in both physics and ffb with still many similarities to the Shift games which is a shame after all this time, maybe the devs can still pull a rabbit out of the hat, I sure hope so.

I agree. At this present time it has not got to where I hoped it would have been. I am still hoping it will suddenly change in the physics department. If only they could replicate GSC or Race 07. I'd be happy.

It won't change "suddenly"

It will change gradually.

Tomorrow's team build includes 3 new tyres just for the FormulaB.

You can access each of these tyres by passing command line parameters to the game (case-sensitive):
..\pcars.exe -A
..\pcars.exe -B
..\pcars.exe -C

Each tyre has its own character according to the senior testers that have already tried it.

This is the development model. It may not be for everyone.

The FB is one of the most disappointing of all now. It actually feels like I'm controlling a cushion of air beneath the car, inflating and deflating with throttle. Last year the FB actually felt fairly decent.

I have been playing with controller settings but, the FFB still lacks front wheel grip FB - except when braking and locking the fronts. If you try to force the front wheels to over-steer - there is no edge at all to tell you where grip-loss occurs.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 173 34.2%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 143 28.3%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 95 18.8%
  • Watch party

Votes: 41 8.1%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 11 2.2%