Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Time to 3D print some bracket templates to test fit before machining the parts.

Printing them in Left (Green) and Right (Blue) sets.

1652874235163.png

The 6063 2x4" 1/4" angle has a sharp internal radius.
The 6061 3x3" 1/4" angle has a radius at the bend.
1652873819465.png

Last edited:
I shouldn't be impatient for these. My parts don't ship until tomorrow, but still I'm chomping at the bit to bolt these up to see how they fit. Hurry up and wait :)

The outer loop tore off. I probably need to clean the build plate again. I'm so used to just starting a print and walking away. I'm both amazed that I haven't gotten into trouble doing that and that I so rarely see any issues such that when I see anything amiss it surprises me.

RightSide_8125.jpg

Last edited:
I quite fancy a nice set of taps, so I click on the link

View attachment 567809

And its at times like these I wish I lived across the pond :D

View attachment 567811
£13.89

Last edited:
I'm glad I got this test fit started. It looks like my parts will be here tomorrow :)
So far everything looks right. As long as the technical drawings for the linear bearings are correct this should all fit together well.
TestFit_8127.jpg

Right now I'm printing the BK support template.
1652950972938.png

I'll also need a new Neutrik mount that attaches to the side. So I'll print one of these in Galaxy Black. Not sure if this is the final design for this, but it will be functional.

1652952823441.png

When everything arrives and I have the frame together, I'll be able to cut and drill the foot plate. I'm debating bring it into the maker space to run the radius mill around the edges. Although mounting a large flat plate like that could be challenging. It would actually be easier to run it through my router. I just don't like the idea of metal shavings falling into the router motor. My new 1/4" roundover bit has a 1/2" shank so I could mount it to my router table, but as I understand it with my router set to it's lowest speed, I could only nibble away at .15mm at a time. I have large suction grip handles that I could use on this large piece of aluminum which will be 580mm x 300mm.

Last edited:
As i know you like nice looking machined stuff, that is well engineered, take a look at the Simtrecs together with my old Sprint’s..
I think they are the nicest looking pedals out there, and i’m superhappy with the feel in use and the level of detail in production.

I was in doubt as i trust Heusinkveld more than any other pedal manufacturer, but i went for it and i’m very happy i did.

Attachments

• C4DAB135-4FDA-476C-B50A-6EDA80AAB08E.jpeg
    C4DAB135-4FDA-476C-B50A-6EDA80AAB08E.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 60
There are half a dozen companies making pedals with better appearance. HE couldn't make pedals like that just because of the manufacturing time involved to do all the CNC routing. They have had trouble keeping up with demand with what are likely laser cut steel and stainless steel parts. Granted it's possible part of the issue is with components like their load cells and just manpower to assemble the pedal sets.

There is a difference between manufacturing concerns for mass production and what smaller operations can produce in limited numbers. Just look at the Simgrade R7's. In terms of content in the package for the money they are insane. Lots of high quality materials etc. and at their low production numbers, they are not getting economies of scale, so very likely a smaller profit margin.

All that said. I'm going to stick with my Sprints for the time being.

Cut to size.
cuttoSize_8129.jpg

Square within 0.1mm
Initial pass with a random orbital sander.
I considered cutting it to 575mm just on the edge of the profile's radius, but I'll think about that later.

Next I'll score centerlines all the way around. Measure the bolt holes and center punch them. Once I have the foot plate drilled, I'll be able to do a complete test build with 3D printed parts to verify everything before making the aluminum mounting brackets.
InitialSanding_8130.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 298 34.7%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 241 28.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 159 18.5%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 7.8%