Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Excellent… simple but effective. Like the best ideas are!

I would love something like this for my playseat sensation pro… it’s not movable, stuck ina corner, and to access pedals, or tactile at the front requires disassembly, to then pull the front section up through the footwell area…. Hernia time!

Last edited:
Parts beveled, cleaned up, and ready to install.
View attachment 617760

Pedantic, but they're chamfered, not beveled

dPNUL8Tx_uei-oVIwtU3QlZXj8OhksOo3OpUiI9wJAIzIyxwmfB6vULkS7zLie4GyQReHDuiKb22fFYj4I3vJ92ARHd0MJ2wFcoAyjRf8Qjg3uOwIZsWw3FFdqsNiP4aMXLQ3HaR

Last edited:
I had people asking for this pretty excitedly.

Warning, requires lots of parts, aluminum foil shims, sanding and optionally beveling. Also the caster plates as in the DXF files are a but long. I cut about 7mm off of the flat end of mine.

I've added a full parts list and some instructions and some assembly pictures.

Assembly_8778.jpg
BevelsRequired_8775.jpg

Last edited:
Printing a knob for the quick release bar on the caster mount. Hopefully this will be a bit cleaner looking.

Also printing a small spacer to use with my caster plates. Still not sure about the precise height that plate needs to be. As it is, it works fine when I freshly move my rig over before the caster settles deeper and once the rig is resting on the feet they sink in and leave an indentation that makes removing the feet work fine when you freshly raise the rig, so maybe I'm over analyzing this.

This wouldn't be an issue on a hard surface. The retractable mechanism can only lift so far, but with carpet and a pad and settling it's a bit dynamic. In normal operation, I don't think it will matter.

Edit: This isn't an issue. I just set my rig up this morning and it was perfectly fine. So the spacer bar won't be something I need.
1668861506122.png

Also renamed the part files to something that makes more sense.

1. Back Plate
2. Caster Plate
3. Long Spacers
4. Short Spacers
5. Quick Release Bar
6. Grips

The knob looks OK, for now. I might come up with something better.
Knob_8780.jpg

Last edited:
I'm moving on to testing my Reverb G2 + i9-13900K + 4090.

iRacing works beautifully at max settings in OpenXR with the quality setting for fixed foveated rendering.

Dirt Rally 2.0 still requires tinkering with the settings to get it to work well. It kept 2 cores of the CPU pegged, and could not run a clean 90fps with full ultra setting enabled. I had to back settings off to High and drop the MSAA and filtering. I don't know if it is trying to run inside OpenXR or not. I need to verify. I might be able to run the fixed foveated rendering in performance mode and turn more on.

Power is not an issue. I never saw my Computer draw more than 470W and likely it was less than that because it was sharing a circuit with the amplifiers. I'll turn them off and verify. I had a video camera watching the power meter for 38 minutes.

Early days....

The resolution of the G2 does look nice and mostly not being able to see pixels is nice too. I'm still not sure if I prefer a little grain at 144fps instead of resolution at 90fps. Time will tell.

Time to try out DCS and see how that works.

I'm liking the G2 less and less.

I can run my Index at 144fps in iRacing and I can run Dirt Rally in full Ultra with only the MSAA backed down one notch to 4x with asotropic at 16x.

There is noticeable latency with the G2. I don't feel connected with it. With the Index I feel absolutely connected and my times actually show that. I'm more in control of the car I can drive faster with my Index in Dirt Rally 2.0 even with both headsets set to 90fps. It is night and day!

In iRacing it's less noticeable because everything is smoother, but in Dirt Rally 2.0 the Index and 4090 win hands down! I got the GPU up to 79-80% on Ultra with the Index in DirtRally. Yes the visuals are not quite as good, but the feeling of immediacy is palpable. There is some kind of delay with the G2. And the visuals are also better with all the ultra details.

In addition the G2 is not happy with my motion. When I'm jerking around in Rally I had it turn blue on me twice this morning and even worse it lost track of where the front was and suddenly I was looking sideways. That also happened twice this morning.

I'm now thinking the DCS may be the only game where I actually want to use the Reverb.

The only thing that really left an impression with me in Dirt Really with the G2 was the steam coming off my engine after misjudging a turn. It looked photo realistic. The I can not get over the lag with that headset.

Last edited:
I need to configure OpenComposite next. It will be required to run DR2 and DCS in OpenXR. I've been told it should be good for about a 20% increase in performance.

Since I've seen people running the G2 with DR2 with Ultra Settings and keeping up, I'm hoping that is the key. I don't know if OpenComposite will help with the lag issue I'm feeling with the G2. I'm not getting any dropped frames while I'm feeling that lag, so I'm very curious what is going on.

A 20% increase is worth it no matter what. It will lower the wattage the 4090 is using. It should allow my Index to max the final DR2 setting to 8x MSAA from 4x.

It will be required in DCS as well which I've still not fired up with the G2 yet.

Even if I decide not to use my G2 for much of anything, I think these optimizations are well worth the effort so I can see the improvement of whatever my next VR headset ends up being.

Installing OpenComposite was pretty easy. Once you open an app, it creates a profile and you can decide if it defaults to OpenXR or SteamVR.

EDIT: I found out that the Index does not support OpenXR, just the Reverb, and Varjo Aero, Pimax and some other headsets.

Last edited:
To date I've not had any interest in MSFS, but they just released helicopters. They also have near photorealistic views of the planet and cities along with reasonable LIVE WEATHER for the planet. You can go on Google Earth and get the lat/long for any place on the planet and it if isn't an airport, you can enter that lat/long into MSFS and it will put you in your vehicle of choice flying directly above those coordinates.

I've used Google Earth in VR and it's pretty nice, but the idea of just flying a helicopter around any place on the planet with realistic right now weather seems pretty cool. Flying over an air space will feel a lot different and be more like being there.

I guess different things excite people, but this seems pretty cool. I'll wait to the end of the week to see if their new 40th Anniversary edition goes on sale. The deluxe version take 150Gb of disk space and I understand their updates are large and painful, but this seems like it could be fun or a complete time suck just flying around places.

Last edited:
I have never had a problem with the updates in it. It can take some space and on top you may want to set aside a specific amount of ssd for scenery cache that it downloads.

They do make good progress, its good to see that at least for now it is being well looked after. I have had every ms flight sim since sublogic on the commodore 64 :)

I have never had a problem with the updates in it. It can take some space and on top you may want to set aside a specific amount of ssd for scenery cache that it downloads.

They do make good progress, its good to see that at least for now it is being well looked after. I have had every ms flight sim since sublogic on the commodore 64 :)

I'll probably pick it up Black Friday sale or not this coming weekend.
Of course it's not like I don't have plenty of content to play with and things that need to be dialed in.

In the comments turn HAGS off for another 10fps.

He had DLSS 3 set to "balanced" mode near the end of the video and was getting about 90fps at full G2 resolution. He had HAGS on for the video, so....

I started the 120Gb download for MSFS 40th anniversary Deluxe version. I wanted the Cessna 152 and 172 since I've actually flown them, but I expect to use the helicopters a lot just to tool around looking at things.

Last edited:
turn HAGS off
Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling
Q: How to know when Microsoft lies?
A: "Reduce latency and improve performance"
Reality:
  • constrained performance involves queue management
  • maximizing thruput requires avoiding an empty queue
  • lengthening a queue necessarily increases latency
  • hardware is not psychic; it cannot guess which task should have priority
  • there may be some scenarios where multiple tasks contending for GPU resources
    or multiple GPU execution units dispatched from a single queue
    may benefit from hardware-accelerated scheduling,
    but evidently not (yet) conventional VR sim games.
  • HAGS was off by default in Win 10;
    defaulting it to on disadvantages a majority of Win 11 users;
    presumably some key (government and/or enterprise) M$ accounts benefit.

Had to slide the left rear caster mount forward just a bit so I could slide the caster out while in helicopter mode.

MSFS 50% complete downloading....

ReadyforMSFS_8786.jpg

The last bit that I was waiting to arrive showed up today.
CableMod_8788.jpg

Last edited:
The cables don't fit my PSU.

But I did fly around my house today with a Cessna 152 in MSFS with the G2. Still playing with things. One thing that I'm curious about are the helicopters that I understood were included with MSFS. I can't find them anywhere. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be released later or not.

Also ran DCS with both my Index and G2. The G2 is clearer, but I could use higher settings with the Index, so it was almost a wash. Other than picking a plane out in the distance, the improvement isn't as much as I would have hoped. I can completely max out my 4090 with either the Index or the G2 depending on the settings.

In DCS I could get the Index to look good at about 60% GPU once off the ground and the G2 about 80% off the ground. DCS kept two CPU cores COMPLETELY pegged at 100% the whole time.

But the good news is that I could get smooth play with either headset and I wasn't feeling any stutters.

Last edited:
I'm thoroughly enjoying my 13900K/4090 combination. It feels like my whole rig has reached nirvana :) The whole system feels like it only just arrived!

My D-Box's incredibly low latency is only now something that I'm completely appreciating. The same with the SC2 Pro's FFB and the G-Belt and tactile effects.

I just came out of Dirt Rally 2.0 with my heart pounding! The feeling of DR2 with full Ultra graphics settings running perfectly smoothly and VR absolutely in sync with the rest of my rig is apparently something I've not experienced before now.

Feeling completely blown away by the experience! What a great morning!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

(and yes that was with the Index) I don't think my G2 is, going to come out to play much. I just feel like I lose too much wearing the G2. I lose immersion with it.

Last edited:
I've been dialing in Dirt Rally more.

Tactile Engine effects
Tactile road effects ( Impact, Rumble )
Tactile Shift
D-Box Shift Surge
D-Box tweaking main motion settings.
G-Belt - Added the Bump effect back and just turned up smoothing to 7.
G-Belt - Added Acceleration effect.
G-Belt - Added Shift effect
G-Belt - turned brake to a maximum of 1G, turned brake effect up
G-Belt - turned up cornering effect, dropped to a maximum of 1.5G
VR- no changes :) All settings at Ultra.

It's feeling really nice together, but I think there is still a bit of room for improvement.

I need to play with the wheel slip effect more.

Last edited:

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 235 34.1%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 188 27.2%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 131 19.0%
  • Watch party

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • At a friends house