Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

I recommend trying the harness just with the 2 shoulder straps and the under the seat one. There really is no need for the lap belts when you're only concerned with the shoulder straps doing the work from the G-Belt. I have been running it like that and it's much less faff around. My lap belts are very hard to adjust the length on (it's a fakey and while it doesn't come loose like my old fakey, I have to leave it at the tightest fit for it to be effective and it's hard to put on without the slack), and now I only need to have the under the seat strap set to the one length, clip in the two shoulder harnesses, tighten down and away we go.

Sounds like a great suggestion. It would be easier adjusting for guests as well.

My Tanaka left lap belt with the buckle works with my Sabelt shoulder belts as an anti-submarine belt.

I just need to shorten the shoulder belts a bit and extend the buckle up a bit higher for comfort reasons. I'll give a try later on today.

Last edited:
With the G-Belt, I believe I am maxed out until I have more room, since the NLRv3 will not support a G-Seat.
That is not necessarily the case, if you could be seduced by some DIY.
I'm also hoping that they can tune the G-Seat to be quieter like the G-Belt is in a future version.
@RacingMat and other xsimulator.net denizens are using air wedge bladders and hobby servos
to add g-seat capability in a relatively quiet and portable way on conventional sim racing seats:

Current limitations:
  • pneumatic latency
    • signal predistortion and larger diameter air tubes
  • too small diameter of hoses between bladders
    • 3D printed larger hose barb replacements for bladders?
  • one Arduino module per servo
    • a single STM32 module is easily capable of driving a half dozen servos e.g. from GitHub

That is not necessarily the case, if you could be seduced by some DIY.

Looks like a bloody mess. Sorry, not for me.
Once again, I'm going to try to just enjoy my rig for a while. We'll see how long that lasts.

I feel like I could also spend more time dialing my tactile and NLRv3 motion in a bit.

If you want speed and power use high speed short stroke hydraulic actuators. You'll just have a pile of hoses with the potential to spew hydraulic fluid all over the place! But you can have real bone crushing realism! :cautious:

However my 3D printer is running right now.... LOL! What could it be????

I still need to design a proper 40 series profile mount for the Actuator control box that allows using all 4 bolt holes.

Last edited:
Great video of the G-Belt @RCHeliguy :thumbsup:

I'm surprised it's so much quieter than my GS-5. From the looks of it the G-Belt does seem to give a very convincing pull.

I just asked a question in the GS-5 forum it was confirmed that the G-Belt uses identical servos and that SimXperience is developing a noise optimized mode for the GS-5. That's very good news!

At this point, if I were to consider a G-Seat, it would mean removing my NLRv3, but then I could use whatever brakes I wanted. Maybe if it quits on me and I send it in for service, this might be something to consider at that time.

I just asked a question in the GS-5 forum it was confirmed that the G-Belt uses identical servos and that SimXperience is developing a noise optimized mode for the GS-5. That's very good news!

At this point, if I were to consider a G-Seat, it would mean removing my NLRv3, but then I could use whatever brakes I wanted. Maybe if it quits on me and I send it in for service, this might be something to consider at that time.
There already is a soft/silent mode available.

But like always, the highest performance modes produce the most noise.

The noise cancelling headphones are a great help though.

There already is a soft/silent mode available.

But like always, the highest performance modes produce the most noise.

The noise cancelling headphones are a great help though.
You can look in the GS-5 forum for the exact response, but he mentioned that they already had lower feedback modes available that were quieter, but it is new and will be completely optimized for sound.

I've mentioned many times that I enjoy room scale VR gaming and the G-Belt just screams all sorts of dangerous to me in terms of my smacking my hand into it. So I added 1/3" of Neoprene padding to the end. This is pretty dense neoprene so it should handle a decent smack without bottoming out.

Why 3D print the plate?
I hate getting adhesive all over things and this way I can remove the neoprene without any worry of scarring the G-Belt unit.

Looking at this I already realize this isn't adequate and I need to extend the padding back further.

GBeltPadding.jpg

Last edited:
While you are playing with the belt, you might want to try this but I do see you have changed the belt, i.e. it doesnt come through the hole under the seat anymore.

I found this useful to stop any extra rubbing from the side of the belt using a couple cable ties.

Attachments

• belt.jpg
    belt.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 69
This is EXACTLY what I was going to do. As I was driving I folded the belt in half and instead of the edges going into your thighs they now point straight up and the profile of the belt is reduced by a massive amount. So I thought I'd eventually use a couple of cable ties, or a few elastic bands to keep it there.

I've snaked the strap from the front anchor up through the anti-submarine slot in the bottom of the seat and I think if I add about 3/4" to the front of the slot I could be in pretty good shape. As it is now I have a little bit of pain after driving a while.

I've got back to the full 5 points, but my lapbelts are not tight and it is much easier to get into now.

I'm about to take my Oscillating multi-too to the seat now.

I put a drop cloth over the NLRv3 so fiberglass dust didn't get into it and I opened the hole up about an inch to the front. Then I stuck some of that 1/3" neoprene underneath the seat after cleaning the dust off the gelcoat layer. The belt pushes up on the neoprene rather than fraying on the freshly cut fiberglass.

I also put my flight stick in to make sure that I stuck the neoprene as far in as I could without interfering with mounting the stick.

openHole_6747.jpg

It looks stock, but the belt pulls forward enough that I think I should be good. I'll need to get some more laps in to find out.
BeltsInPlace_6750.jpg

The Sabelt 3" shoulder pads actually landed in the US and have been passed on to the USPS, so hopefully they'll show up soon. I'm very curious how they impact the feel of this. I'm not sure if they will grab me with more grip, or if the belts will slide inside of them.

Last edited:
I put a drop cloth over the NLRv3 so fiberglass dust didn't get into it and I opened the hole up about an inch to the front. Then I stuck some of that 1/3" neoprene underneath the seat after cleaning the dust off the gelcoat layer. The belt pushes up on the neoprene rather than fraying on the freshly cut fiberglass.

I also put my flight stick in to make sure that I stuck the neoprene as far in as I could without interfering with mounting the stick.

View attachment 492356

It looks stock, but the belt pulls forward enough that I think I should be good. I'll need to get some more laps in to find out.
View attachment 492355

The Sabelt 3" shoulder pads actually landed in the US and have been passed on to the USPS, so hopefully they'll show up soon. I'm very curious how they impact the feel of this. I'm not sure if they will grab me with more grip, or if the belts will slide inside of them.
The belt won’t slide inside the pads, they velcro round them, and there’s always a bit that touches as they’re a tight fit.
I have the pads on my rig harness and in the track car harness, and they’ve never moved inside them once

The belt won’t slide inside the pads, they velcro round them, and there’s always a bit that touches as they’re a tight fit.
I have the pads on my rig harness and in the track car harness, and they’ve never moved inside them once

It will be interesting to see if these shoulder pads add padding in a good way that feels better or they grab me too much and make the seatbelt motion uncomfortable. As it is in Rally when I'm thrown around the moving seatbelts were cutting into my neck. So I definitely want something that helps with that.

I'm feeling like I've exerted myself after a couple hours of driving. Don't get me wrong! I love how everything feels, but my arms get a workout, my legs get a work out and now that I have the seatbelt holding me down pretty firmly my core is getting a workout too. It's surprising how much of a work out it feels like I'm getting. I've been on a pretty intense training regimen for the last 6 weeks so it may be that I'm easier to get sore right now. It also could be that I haven't been driving enough and I need to build up endurance driving.

Last edited:
I never thought about using pads on mine but I never run in a tshirt, I always have to pull my collar up so that the sides of the belt dont rub against my neck but that was the only issue I had with belts.

I've had pads on mine for ages, can't remember not having them. I think they will be better than not having them. I still get my neck cut into sometimes with a tshirt on so they won't totally cure all the discomfort.

It will be interesting to see if these shoulder pads add padding in a good way that feels better or they grab me too much and make the seatbelt motion uncomfortable. As it is in Rally when I'm thrown around the moving seatbelts were cutting into my neck. So I definitely want something that helps with that.

I'm feeling like I've exerted myself after a couple hours of driving. Don't get me wrong! I love how everything feels, but my arms get a workout, my legs get a work out and now that I have the seatbelt holding me down pretty firmly my core is getting a workout too. It's surprising how much of a work out it feels like I'm getting. I've been on a pretty intense training regimen for the last 6 weeks so it may be that I'm easier to get sore right now. It also could be that I haven't been driving enough and I need to build up endurance driving.
I’ve never had a rubbing or cutting issue from the pads, but that is down to wearing a racesuit in the track car. As for the rig, always a t shirt or hoody, and will be influenced by physical build as well, and I’m average/small build, so the belts sit comfortable over my shoulders.

I got my motion system running in the week, and I can concur with the workout style comments, I’ve never felt done drained after a session before, but that might be down to heat /temperature in the room as well.
I would love a g belt, but after telling the wife the rig is finished finally, I’m not sure how less than week later I could inform her I’m buying more parts, especially when we’re about to build an extension on the house!

Last edited:
I would love a g belt, but after telling the wife the rig is finished finally, I’m not sure how less than week later I could inform her I’m buying more parts, especially when we’re about to build an extension on the house!

My wife now laughs at me if I mention that I think my rig is finished. She has also told me that she thinks my rig is big and she doesn't want it to get any larger.

If my rig were ever causing friction between my wife and I, the rig would be gone in a heartbeat.

I'm thinking a pair of these might make a decent Accumotion mount to the back 160mm profile of my SimLab P1.

It's 155mm tall so it fit just inside the radius of the profile.
There is a chamfer to the 152mm Accumotion enclosure.
Currently it would take a 6mm bolt on the corners into T-nuts in the profile and a 4mm bolt through the Accumotion's 4.5mm mount holes into 4mm threaded inserts in the mounts. I need to find my inserts and measure them, and I need to tweak the diameter for them to melt into place.

Still thinking about it a bit. Thoughts?

AccumotionMount.jpg
AccumotionMount2.jpg

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 37 33.6%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Watch party

Votes: 10 9.1%