Next Level Motion V3 settings thread (highly requested...?)

OK Next Level motion users, here it is: my tuned settings that I feel give the best feeling of what a car should represent while racing. Taken a while to get this up and running, with barely free time to actually sim race as it is. Hopefully you will get some value out of this and it further increases your enjoyment of an already pretty good product out of the box.

I have listed a few different profiles, use the Assetto Corsa one for all the big sim racing titles (of course utilizing the Formula & non Formula profiles for open wheel vs GT style cars) and use the Dirt Rally template for that title as well as any other rally title that takes advantage of motion. Don't forget to change both the 'motion' AND 'motion post processing' tabs for full effects.

Obviously these are my personal preferences and they may not suit everyone, but give them a try and have a play with them yourself to alter it as you see fit. Post any feelings/comments you have back here and maybe together we can further tune these settings for even better results.

Dirt Rally post process.png Dirt Rally settings.png Formula post process.png Formula settings.png NON formula post process.png NON formula settings.png

Hey @blanes, how's it going? My initial settings should be on the first page of the thread, in screenshots? Should be, but anyway, there is a screenshot just above showing rFactor2 post processing settings. I basically use the same settings for all the sims unless there is something inherently wrong in the way they output the telemetry i.e; too harsh bumps or not enough forces coming through overall. I tend to tune these things out in the motion tab, normally in the Overall slider. I leave the post processing tab alone once I've set it because I like the range that my settings gives me. Just moving slightly up or down on the Overall can cure harsh or underwhelming effects. Heave gets rid of really harsh bumpy rides, which is why I leave it at 0.75 for basically all titles. It can be a little overbearing. You don't need to be bounced around like a rag doll to have the sensation of the road underneath you.

I think I remember Raceroom being a little on the soft side but am not entirely sure. It seems to be OK with my settings now. I also had some weird feelings with my OSW on Raceroom, but have followed some direct drive settings videos along with playing with the in game settings some and have gotten it to feel not too bad now. Might be something with the direct drive wheels. I never had a problem with the CSW.

I saw the first look of that cockpit. Hopefully it's an improvement over the Ultimate. I heard when I bought the V3 that they were developing a handbrake mount, I think it's included in that cockpit? I am super happy with the 80/20 so will provide me no benefit, but still hoping it's good. Especially being locally and easily available within Aus.

Upvote 0
Thanks mate I will play around tomorrow and I already put your post processing values in and like them, dialled the gain down a little. I have always found I do not need to have to much movement, just short and sharp like you explained works best. I tried a V8 Supercar motion sim where the whole cockpit moved, screen and all once, it was fun but more like a roller coaster and distracted more than immersed. There are probably some really good ones out there now but I think for fun racing the simple seat mover works well and the V3 does it better than most I reckon. Anyway thanks for your explanations and info, it is all great. Cheers mate !

Upvote 0
I'm not understanding the settings. Surge is longitudinal acceleration like braking and acceleration and sway is lateral acceleration like turning left/right. If I disable surge and sway, why does everything stop working? I should still get heave/bumps because that's z-axis stuff - nothing to do with surge nor sway...

I'm basically disabling all effects and turning one on, one at a time to feel the difference between all the effects: bumps, braking/accel, turning, etc. but the NLM V3 does nothing...at all...if surge and sway are set to 0. Even if surge and sway are set to something like 0.20, I can crank bumps to 2.50 and still feel nothing apart from the tiny bit of surge and sway (since they're set to 0.20)...

Also, what does "intensity" actually affect? Top speed? Acceleration? Distance? It seems to be a bit of all three, is that correct?

Upvote 0
The main settings are the two degrees of freedom you have with the V3, surge and sway. Heave most likely will not work on it's own, as there is no third degree of freedom for it to work independently of the other 2 settings. My take on intensity is that the higher you have it the more it exaggerates the signal received from the telemetry of the sim. Like when you speak into a microphone, you turn it up real loud but you don't need to yell into it for it to hear like you're talking very loudly. I would say, from my experience, is that it turns up or down everything linearly. So, the speed of the platform moving, the distance that it travels (throw) and the amount of movement required for it to pick up a signal from the telemetry at all, all depend on what value the intensity slider is set to.

This is why I asked for more control over the settings, and thus we were given the post processing tab. Here, I can make the signal received by the platform software remain as high or low as I want it, without sacrificing the performance of the platform itself. Only want to feel extreme brake forces? Turn down the Surge setting intensity slider, but turn up the gain in the Pitch post process to still feel a forceful effect and not a whimpered down touch on the back.

You can't expect too much from the software and the platform itself, really. It's only 2DOF and with the additions they have made to the tuning capability of the software it's actually in a really good place right now.

My reason for the heave not working like you think it should with the other settings all the way down is because I think it needs the pitch or surge slider to at least have something on it to receive a signal. Don't forget, its not just you pressing the throttle that the platform sees, it's like agnostic to what signal is coming from what input. If the car pitches forward in telemetry, either through braking or through bumps, then the software probably doesn't know the difference. It just sees pitch forward x amount and does it. Turn the volume down on your stereo and you shouldn't be surprised that you can't only hear the bass you wanted to without the treble. It's an all or nothing sort of thing.

In my opinion :)

Upvote 0
I'm not understanding the settings. Surge is longitudinal acceleration like braking and acceleration and sway is lateral acceleration like turning left/right. If I disable surge and sway, why does everything stop working? I should still get heave/bumps because that's z-axis stuff - nothing to do with surge nor sway...

I'm basically disabling all effects and turning one on, one at a time to feel the difference between all the effects: bumps, braking/accel, turning, etc. but the NLM V3 does nothing...at all...if surge and sway are set to 0. Even if surge and sway are set to something like 0.20, I can crank bumps to 2.50 and still feel nothing apart from the tiny bit of surge and sway (since they're set to 0.20)...

Also, what does "intensity" actually affect? Top speed? Acceleration? Distance? It seems to be a bit of all three, is that correct?
Watch the video I link to in this post https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...3-motion-platform.137061/page-15#post-2729929

It should explain what all the settings do. Start at around 22 minutes in to avoid all the rig building stuff.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Just got my V3 installed this morning, mounted on my rSeat RS1.

I should state that I am a driving coach, and most of my weekends are spent driving very fast road cars of all makes and some great exotics too.
So I know how they feel on a racing track.

I am still figuring out the best settings for me but have a few questions for you veterans:

1) When driving uphill/downhill, I would like to feel the car change its pitch, how should I go about it and NOT increase any bumps or acc/breaking forces?
I feel this is lacking especially driving in Nordschleife (which I know very well).
The change in elevation isn’t noticeable enough.

2) My Buttkicker seems to now have very little effect. It isn’t as pronounced as before when it was mounted to my rSeat directly. Any recommendations?

3) Any good baseline settings to get the most gentle movement that is still noticeable? I need this so I can increase what I feel needed.

Thanks in advance!

D.

Upvote 0
Sorry mate.

In regards to the buttkicker not feeling as pronounced, that's normal for motion. People say that they feel a reduced level of detail coming from their direct drive wheels once they implement motion, so it's only natural that the same thing would happen from other feedback sources. I can only recommend for the buttkicker to try and increase the gain a little without going overboard to compensate. I felt the same on mine, and now that I have bigger and better units, it's just about right for me. But no doubt when you run motion off, the finer details of the track tend to come through a little more.

Regarding the motion settings, I am not sure what you have available to you to enhance this feeling you're after. I guess if the sim is not giving telemetry for the dip and rise in the road, you probably have no chance of obtaining that tilting feeling. If the sim does translate that data in telemetry, then the pitch slider is the one you would want to pay attention to. Maybe increase the intensity in the motion tab. That should increase the sensitivity of the platform to pick up cues it may leave behind, especially if they are very small, or minor readings. Other than that, try Heave, although increasing that for the reason you want may incur an undriveable experience around the rest of the track. Heave tends to exaggerate bumps really harshly and it's one of the only settings (I think THE only one) that I run lower than 1.00 in the motion tab.

I don't think anything in post process tab is going to help you here. Turning things up there would only make the rest of the drive very unpleasant. They key is finding exactly what setting relates to what you want and then tweaking it. I'd say Pitch is your best bet.

Upvote 0
Sorry mate.

In regards to the buttkicker not feeling as pronounced, that's normal for motion. People say that they feel a reduced level of detail coming from their direct drive wheels once they implement motion, so it's only natural that the same thing would happen from other feedback sources. I can only recommend for the buttkicker to try and increase the gain a little without going overboard to compensate. I felt the same on mine, and now that I have bigger and better units, it's just about right for me. But no doubt when you run motion off, the finer details of the track tend to come through a little more.

Regarding the motion settings, I am not sure what you have available to you to enhance this feeling you're after. I guess if the sim is not giving telemetry for the dip and rise in the road, you probably have no chance of obtaining that tilting feeling. If the sim does translate that data in telemetry, then the pitch slider is the one you would want to pay attention to. Maybe increase the intensity in the motion tab. That should increase the sensitivity of the platform to pick up cues it may leave behind, especially if they are very small, or minor readings. Other than that, try Heave, although increasing that for the reason you want may incur an undriveable experience around the rest of the track. Heave tends to exaggerate bumps really harshly and it's one of the only settings (I think THE only one) that I run lower than 1.00 in the motion tab.

I don't think anything in post process tab is going to help you here. Turning things up there would only make the rest of the drive very unpleasant. They key is finding exactly what setting relates to what you want and then tweaking it. I'd say Pitch is your best bet.

Thanks mate!
Since my original post, I have dialed my settings further and now feel better with them.

It was obvious to me that the sim does put out these values in telemetry since it influences the suspension and tyre load.

I have a follow up question -

In Daytona Road Course (PC2), the banking feels off with my VR.
It seems like my head is in the middle of the car when I want it to be further right near the window.
I tried the VR settings but they seem to not do anything for me... Any inputs?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thanks mate!
Since my original post, I have dialed my settings further and now feel better with them.

It was obvious to me that the sim does put out these values in telemetry since it influences the suspension and tyre load.

I have a follow up question -

In Daytona Road Course (PC2), the banking feels off with my VR.
It seems like my head is in the middle of the car when I want it to be further right near the window.
I tried the VR settings but they seem to not do anything for me... Any inputs?

Thanks again.
Use Real Head Motion app

Upvote 0
VR headway is not something most users are using. Real head motion for AC works pretty well. The VR headway doesn't do anything in the sim, it just compensates for the movement in the platform. But as many people have mentioned, you tend to correct your head alignment yourself, as the seat does not move THAT much to throw the VR sensoring off.

Try have a play with RHM. It's something I think all sims should either implement or allow the use of the mod. rFactor2 had this working in DX9 but the move to DX11 broke it and now it doesn't work for it. I think AC is the only one that I can remember that has the dedicated tool actually working.

What settings did you play with to enhance your feeling of hill climb and decent?

Upvote 0
So many NLR V3 threads!

So I ran through different setups tonight: @AntoN_CheZ @Mascot

I ran the MX5-Cup at Brands GP and 911 RSR at Nordschleife

Anton's setup is really nice on the MX-5 as it brings to life the cars motion. Similar to what you'd expect from a street car in terms of movement when pushed on a race track. However, for the RSR it was simply way too much movement.

Mascot's settings are close to what I wanted but felt it was a bit too soft overall. Although I liked the quick responses to bumps as a race suspension would react. Overall though, the feedback was less than I'd like on RSR and the MX5.

I currently ended up with a variance of Mascot's main settings with default post processing settings at the time of this writing. While not as good as Anton's on the MX5, it did give me enough to pick up the car on a consistent basis.

upload_2018-8-21_23-48-26.png

In the long terms I can see 3 profiles:
- Street car
- GT Car
- LMP1/Formula

I do think the motion system will be a lot more difficult to dial-in due to the variance in vehicles than the wheel, which I feel is pretty perfect for me liking in AC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice to see users enjoying the settings. Of course everyone has preferences as to how you would like the motion to come through. Even I play with the settings depending on car (although I do have a dedicated NON open wheel and open wheel profile for all sims which have different post processing values to better represent the feeling of each car type) and I do this by simply moving the OVERALL slider down slightly. Maybe 0.65 is about as low as I would go.

I think the most important thing is to dial in the platform post processing sliders and then leave them alone for the most part. I feel I have made much better use of the capabilites of the platform with shorter throw and a quicker response. I never feel like I am unrealisticly tilted off to the side anymore which was one thing that bugged me. Another benefit of shorter overall platform movement is that it's quicker for the platform to return to center. For example if the rear starts to slide, the quick snap back is highly satisfying to me now compared to the relatively long journey the platform needed to make from the edge of its operating range.

Upvote 0
I know what people are going to say :sick: :laugh: :p
Prior to watching, I want someone to take into consideration you are sitting in this after a hard days work, this is a way of relaxing but entertaining yourself. Drowning yourself in immersion to get your head away from the worries of your normal day.

By now you have had a nice meal, ok maybe you kinda ate a bit too much as you may enjoy your food and perhaps even had a few glasses of a preferred beverage.

Are you ready, lets race...
Get ready to buckle up.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know what people are going to say :sick: :laugh: :p
Prior to watching, I want someone to take into consideration you are sitting in this after a hard days work, this is a way of relaxing but entertaining yourself. Drowning yourself in immersion to get your head away from the worries of your normal day.

By now you have had a nice meal, ok maybe you kinda ate a bit too much as you may enjoy your food and perhaps even had a few glasses of a preferred beverage.

Are you ready, lets race...
Get ready to buckle up.....

giphy.gif

Upvote 0

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 234 34.1%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 186 27.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 130 19.0%