OK Here it is AGAIN the old what Graphics card debate

You would be better off with a Noctua D15 Fan based CPU cooler. It does better than all the water cooling solutions unless you are going for a larger custom tanked system.

Whilst the D15 is a good cooler, it's definitely not better than all the AIO coolers when you start to push the CPU - https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/alphacool_eisbaer_ex_black_lcs_review,9.html and the next 2 pages as just one example.

@Shrive81 - if you go for the D15, check that it will fit in your case and won't interfere with your RAM - the D15S is better in this respect. Bear in mind that it also weighs over 1.3Kg!

I would still contend even when others slightly edged it, that the D15 is both redundant and has a much higher likelihood of reliability. They have a very long track record and their fans are designed to last a very long time.

The water pump is an area of failure that I read about over and over and over again. Also the AIO coolers still rely on fans to cool the radiators, and I imagine the quality and longevity of those fans varies quite a bit.

But like many things this is a point of personal preference. I have yet to find any reason to consider an AIO solution. I have Noctua fans that have been running for many years. I've had many other fans die on me. Of course some people don't keep a computer case for a decade like I do.

I am running a 9900k @5ghz, 1.310v, cooled with a D15 in a Fractal Design Nano mini ITX case, also running a 2080ti, hybrid cooled. Running Dirt Rally 2.0, which is one of the more CPU intensive sim, CPU temps max out around 72c. The D15 is an excellent cooler, only matched/beaten by a few AIOs, and in most cases it out performs the AIOs. The 280mm NZXT kracken x62 only beats the D15 by a single degree Celsius under load.

djm

If you want to max out cooling potential of one setup vs another, it needs to be done with a consistent stress test like prime 95 that pushes any cooler to its limit. From there you can see at what amp and power output each cooler taps out at.

otherwise it’s subjective noise making.

The D15 is an excellent cooler, only matched/beaten by a few AIOs, and in most cases it out performs the AIOs. The 280mm NZXT kracken x62 only beats the D15 by a single degree Celsius under load.

No one is questioning the fact that the D15 is a good cooler. Probably the best air cooler. However, to say it outperforms most AIOs is simply not correct - see the link in my previous post which is fairly typical. Under load at default turbo speeds there's not too much between the D15 and many AIOs. However, where AIOs really come into their own compared to the D15 is when the CPU is overclocked. The best modern AIOs can be as much as 10°C cooler than the D15 when overclocked - for an example, see https://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/silas-newman/alphacool-eisbaer-extreme-280mm-review/5/. That can be very significant if you're getting close to thermal throttling.

No one is questioning the fact that the D15 is a good cooler. Probably the best air cooler. However, to say it outperforms most AIOs is simply not correct - see the link in my previous post which is fairly typical. Under load at default turbo speeds there's not too much between the D15 and many AIOs. However, where AIOs really come into their own compared to the D15 is when the CPU is overclocked. The best modern AIOs can be as much as 10°C cooler than the D15 when overclocked - for an example, see https://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/silas-newman/alphacool-eisbaer-extreme-280mm-review/5/. That can be very significant if you're getting close to thermal throttling.

We have no disagreement. A very high-end, large, AIO fully out performs any air cooler -- no question. The point I am making, which is backed up by the data in the link you posted, for example: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/alphacool-eisbaer-ex-black-lcs-review,11.html

At full load the delta between the Eisabaer Extreme and the x62 Kracken is 4C -- the same delta between the X62 and the D15. The D15 either matches, out performs or is only 1C worse than several of the 240mm and 280mm AIOs in the review link you posted. No question the Eisbaer Extreme is amazing -- it is also the same size of many 360mm rads, so a big case is needed and here in the US, the Eisbaer Extreme in the test you linked is $279, the D15 is $89. If you are running an older 8700 series CPU, known for thermal issues, then an extreme AIO might be worth the investment. However, the I9-9900 series hits 5ghz with ease for most people and thermals are quite reasonable with the no need to resort to extreme cooling.

In my mini ITX case, my 5Ghz OC I9-9900k is kept plenty cool under all my real word use cases -- which is 100% sim racing. If I run into issues with thermals I'd absolutely consider an AIO -- and I'd probably go with Eisbaer simply due to the superior quality.

Lastly, FWIW, I am not against AIOs at all -- my Linux workstation is AIO cooled, which required a bit of case modding to work with the Node 202 case! This was the only way to get reasonable thermals and noise levels in this case -- it is near silent.

Cheers,
DJM

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Porsche

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • BMW

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • McLaren

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Toyota

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Intel

Votes: 5 11.9%