Opinion | How To Fix Formula One?

another pic
scwslyts0ad21.jpg

That is hilarious (and sad)..

I always think in 2005 they were very quick in qualifying, despite running some race fuel and grooved tires and no DRS. They carried ballast to meet the 605kg minimum weight.

Speed wise I bet with slicks, and using the balast they had to bring safety to 2020 levels, you could have a 900hp V10, 600kg including driver race car that would be as quick as todays cars but more exciting to drive, race and listen to. And if you see how 'simple' those cars looked, I bet you can make an entire car for the cost of one 2020 engine..

You can't "fix" Formula 1. Because no one could fix it since late 1980s. It was always like this. There's enough people now thinking and discussing it already in ther lines because it's their profit. Nothing will change for the better with any suggestion by a fan or a manufacturer. It will either be more dangerous (what fans want) or more regulated in one's favor (what a certain manufacturer wants). This IS supposed to be Formula 1. Like ONE, no. 1, the best over others. It's supposed to be like this because it was like that always in this motorsport thing. And the cornering speeds and top speeds always showed that compared to other racing cars. If you remove all that tech, they will only go slower, and more difficult, and crash more with same "amount of racing". I remember very well the 1993 season into 1994, when the comments and requests were made by many fans, journalists, lower level teams, even some drivers to remove the traction control, active suspension and many accompanying electronic trinkets. Reintroducing refueling during pitstops. Just because we had Williams dominating for two years. After previous McLaren's domination of four years. The whole thing was a mess. Williams now became virtually undrivable, and Benetton's Schumacher won with all their dirty stuff but also disqualifications. So in 1994 we got more crashes, horrific crashes, followed by deaths again after quite some time, and in only first three races. With cars that were built around those electronic aids, now removed. Tracks were slowed down. Eau Rouge in Spa became a chicane. Tamburello became a chicane. It was clear to me then, that the sport has become entertainment only when some fans or journalists can dictate a way the sport takes. It's also a way to collect and revolve huge amounts of fans' money. People demand things going their way for their money. On the other side, even more demands and more money was pumped into the sport from the sponsors and factories, which inevitably "kills" it. Since the 1980s, motorsport in general was slowly becoming more of a shady and overly regulated entertainment by the manufacturers, for fans. It has become that instead of advantages by tech evolution accompanied by entertainment which IS racing. That's what racing is. Entertainment for both fans and drivers, grownup's play, a game for drivers using the available tech. We just watch it. Don't you think these drivers now are also giving their best and have fun and bad moments too which we are witnessing? Do you want to make it more difficult for all of them or just for Lewis or any other who will dominate in 5-10 years? I'm sure there will be more suggestions and request to fix racing in the future also. And winning in racing is another thing, and it has always been having some kind of advantage over others.

So, I disagree. The racing is still there. It's simple. Mercedes is the best car, and Lewis is a great racing driver. An overall good, realiable car and a good driver make good results. You can't win a championship in a bad car no matter how good you are. Nigel Mansell said that. I miss this 80s and 90s era too and come back to some of those video clips virtually every other day purely for the tech of those days. But I see absolutely no difference in racing and passing opportunities ever since I started watching it. It's been like that since aero effects became so much more important. "You can't follow cars in corners, it's difficult because of the air turbulence" was a paraphrased sentence uttered by Murray Walker, John Watson, James Hunt and many active drivers waaaaay back then, and many times. Also, these complaints about lack of proper racing is mentioned back in the 80s and 90s too, whenever you had a dominating team. Like McLaren used to be 1988-1991, or Williams 1992-1993, or Ferrari 2000-2004. Oh the things they did to stop Ferrari and Schumacher from dominating. It was all so easy for Ayrton in that McLaren. Or was he the best? Or both? Also, back then "it was easy for" Mansell with that semi automatic gearbox. Or Prost. Or Schumacher. They all won races and/or championships in different eras but with different cars and most importantly, best cars.

Now, if you look at their steering wheel movement on video clips of the both eras, they still make little corrections here and there. You can see that car control is still a thing. Saying that it's easy for Lewis, Charles or anyone else is a simple overstatement. The cars are better but driving is pretty much the same with open wheels. Modern car is heavier, bigger with more downforce and power, but with no traction control. There's power steering and better brakes to compensate. You can see that the car is still easy to drive, but difficult to drive fast which was a comment from quite a few F1 drivers from many generations back and present.

Reliability will be a bigger problem again and fuel usage will be bigger while all that tech has improved on that so much. Everything else evolved, like GT 3 cars, prototypes, even NASCAR, but Formula 1 is not allowed to?

So in my opinion, this sport has just evolved so many times, and like anything else, into something that's making it look past its prime for the long time fans. I don't have a problem with that. Give it a break and return to it later or don't watch it anymore. It's simple and yes, the key of enjoying it is also in its simplicity.

I gave up in hoping F1 would improve someday. Since the introduction of the hybrid cars & engines everything went into a wrong direction. It's just a technological showcase now where you exactly know which guys will be on podium before the race even started.

Let's hope it will become better with the new regulations but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Myself I have been following F1 size 1988, So I have seen all sorts of the years, the good the bad and the ugly.
Personally I think its already on the mend, and is starting to get better season by season, the new ingredients to the format are slowing being to gel and work.
Those ingredients are mainly Liberty Media and the new young talent, that seem to have taken to the big stage with ease and provide a great show.
When liberty took over I was very sceptical but now I really like what is slowing happening.

The new kids on the track well hats off to them they have given the breath of fresh air we needed, they are so down to earth full of them sleeves and generally great young ambassadors for the sport.

With so many irons in the fire things were never going improve fast, these things take time and there will be casualties along the way but the future is looking brighter its just when it will arrive fully fledge.

It's easy to judge and point fingers.

Last edited:
With all my respect Paul, i honestly think that your ideas look like what a 14-16 years old teenager would suggest, and being an overly idealistic old man crying for the good old days at the same time. Suggestions like bringing back H shifters are so childish, i actually facepalmed. Sorry.

I do agree however that some sort of reform is needed, but i think recent ideas in formula one are aiming for such changes: simplicity (while remaining the peak of motorsports of the 21st century), cost efficiency, and more spectator friendly and more exciting form of motor racing is the goal i reckon, we are just not there yet. Considering the current situation worldwide, i am sure these good intentions will slow down even more. Who knows though, maybe these tough financial times we will be facing in the next few years will force more appealing changes.

There are a few key thoughts i fully agree with. Less aero dependency would be better (the FIA is aiming for it i believe), with more focus on mechanical grip, longer, one session qualifying, or a shorter calendar are all reasonable ideas in my opinion.

I agree with others who suggest that less mechanics should be allowed to work on the car in the pit.

I think a NASCAR style points system would also help to spice the competition up. In a system where even the last position worths a few points, battles would be much more common at the back of the field. I personally don't really care about who is fightin with who - all i want to see is constant action on the track even if a heated battle is taking place only for p18.

Formula One Grand Prix racing has been around for a heck of a long time, celebrating a 70th anniversary this year no less, but some fans feel it is broken in its current form.. this is how I propose fixing it...

I've spoken about this before at RaceDepartment (actually, many, many times), but I want to get back on the virtual high horse and have another go at sharing my words of wisdom (cough) to the wider world of the sim racing community here at RD...

I firmly think the sport we love is broken, very, very broken. Grand Prix racing has taken a dramatic turn for the worse in the last few years, and I believe the product we have now vastly distracts from everything that makes motorsport great.

For me, motorsport should be about the art of the best drivers fighting against each other for every inch of tarmac on the track. It should be a sport that is hard, where only the most physical, brave, dedicated and talented rise to the top. It should be a sport about risk and reward, it should be something normal people watch and think "I can't do that". It should be a feast for the eyes and the ears and the senses. Motor racing should be awe-inspiring, scary, fascinating and above all else - an environment where drivers can race hard against each other, overtake and pay the price if they push over the edge too often (without a reasonable fear of death, of course).

For me at least, the bleeding edge of technology is an absolute irrelevance in Grand Prix racing. I'm not a Luddite, nor am I adverse to change - far from it in fact. However, for me, high technology isn't the point of motor racing. The point is in the bloody name - RACING!

Mega engines with high fuel efficiency, cutting edge aerodynamics, energy recovery... all these things add nothing to what matters the most; the spectacle of the actual race on circuit. Look at karting - nothing trick or tech heavy in those things, and they almost always provide exceptional racing.

Don't get me wrong here, technology developments have a part in motorsport, that's pretty much the whole reason endurance racing was designed for - so keep the innovations in that series. Create new classes to accelerate new technology development, it's all good (in fact it's fascinating) to see different technological directions competing against each other in 6, 12 and 24 hour prototype racing, but it 'aint for Formula One folks. I believe Formula One should be the pinnacle of racing, the absolute top level where people go to watch brilliant drivers fight against each other on brilliant circuits, and race each other close, hard and fair throughout the field.

So Paul, you've done plenty of complaining but offered no solutions so far. How do you propose encouraging this utopia of technology light, racing thrills heavy motorsport? Give me a moment of your time dear reader, and I will attempt to explain:

Simplicity. That is the key.

Drop aerodynamic dependence by a considerable margin - let's say around an 85% reduction should do the trick. But aerodynamics help the cars go quickly around corners I hear you cry? My countenance to that would be... since when does overall speed and laptime matter? If you were a fan of Grand Prix racing back in the 1990's, where sometimes the laptime differential between first and last could be north of 6 or 7 seconds, could you really tell the difference between the speed of the pole sitting Williams and the last place EuroBrun? Not really. Actually, because said EuroBrun was such an awful car (insert any relevant team name into the mix here, I'm not specifically picking on EuroBrun), it was far more dramatic to watch that team driving and sliding around the track than the planted Williams / McLaren / Ferrari of the day...

Speaking of sliding...

As well as a massive reduction on the aero, which kills the opportunity for cars to run close together due to the dirty air of the lead vehicle disrupting the balance of the car behind, I would like a much bigger element of mechanical grip reliance applied to the equation, with standardised front and rear wings that are designed alongside the regulations to ensure drifting the car around the corner is far quicker overall than the point and squirt nature of the current formula.

Couple this with rock hard tyres that are good for a full race weekend, and brake materials that considerably extend the braking distance required to slow down the cars, and for me at least, you are already well on the way towards making close racing considerably easier to achieve (and thus, more overtaking), as well as ensuring the actual spectacle of the cars lapping out on circuit is far higher than is the case now. The idea behind all proposed changes is to make the cars slower, easier to race closely together and substantially increase the possibility to get alongside a rival inside the braking zone. Let's face it, the braking distances today are so short it is almost impossible to position yourself for a pass before the whole deceleration zone is done and you are out the corner and back on the power...

Regarding the sliding is faster than precision side of things, I'm a firm believer the spectacle of racing is far more important than breaking overall lap records and achieving ridiculous speeds in the corners. Yes, watching a modern Grand Prix car turn on a dime at 180mph+ through Copse Corner is an impressive sight, but I'd argue watching Ronnie Peterson drifting a Lotus through the same corner at 140mph is far more stimulating to the senses...

View attachment 359009

Next up I'd throw out the paddle shifters and replace them with a good H-Pattern box. Yes, this is a hark back to years gone by, but the skill required to shift a car while sideways at speed is a lost art form in open wheel racing. With manual gearboxes, this skill set really goes some way towards elevating the super talented drivers who can do just that, from the mere ordinary that avoid it by leaving it in a non optimal gear until it is an easier proposition to shift presents itself. As an added bonus, having to manually shift a h-pattern gearstick is also another potential variable in the driving experience, which could lead to mistakes, and encourage overtaking opportunities for the car(s) behind. No bad thing, even if in this proposed formula overtaking is a far more likely prospect than is the case today. Increased skill, added variability into the racing, gives potential advantage to the really talented drivers - what's not to like :)

So we've covered off the aero, mechanical grip, tyres, brakes, gears and the overall visual experience of watching one of these cars lap the circuit. What's next?

Engines.

I am absolutely no fan of the current hybrid formula from a sporting perspective. They sound garbage, too expensive, far too complicated and not enough manufacturers involved, with too high of an entry barrier for new brands to enter and be successful enough to stay around. Also, as is always the case with these things, current Formula One is way over reliant on manufacturer support... and we all know about that, inevitably manufacturers leave (anyone remember Toyota and BMW..?).

From a technology point of view, and road relevance pushing boundaries of what is possible, these engines are fantastic and should be applauded, but like I said earlier, Formula One should be a great sporting spectacle, not a technology showcase. What I propose is to move these sorts of engines over to WEC / IMSA / Le Mans, and let's have a nice selection of V6, V8, V10 and V12 normally aspirated monsters that scream and growl and grab you by the scruff of the neck to demand your undivided attention!

View attachment 359010

With the engines I would go back to the very basics, governing the motors through a simple set of regulations that encourage the return of bespoke engine manufacturers into the sport. Of course, manufacturers might like a piece of the pie and come back too, but I'd love to see old and new manufacturers joined by the likes of Cosworth, Hart, Judd and the likes, with potentially 7, 8, 9, 10 different manufacturers of various size and prestige producing engines for the field to use. Variety is the spice of life!

With multiple engine designers now lining up to join our formula, I would like to see a set of regulations developed that ensure no one specific style of engine is the choice design to run - potentially this could be achieved by some kind of fuel usage restriction (so a V12 for example car run very fast, but has to throttle back to make the end, whereas a V8 and run flat chat for the full race). To give you an idea of what I mean, look up Mika Salo in Tyrrell Cosworth at the 1997 Monaco Grand Prix as an example.

Furthermore, I would implement a rule where only x number of each engine type are allowed in the field, so the manufacturers would each build their engines to whatever size they choose, and the teams would for instance have to select a first choice, second choice and third choice engine type. This would be randomly selected for each team, and if our example team x get choice x, they could then negotiate with the manufacturing brands of that style for a supply deal. This could be success weighted of course, so you don't get Mercedes stuck with a crappy Yamaha V6 !

This doesn't sound plausible does it? Because surely the manufacturers would only want engines good for their brand? So Mercedes would want just a Mercedes V10 etc etc? Well don't forget, this new formula is designed for the racing side of the sport, not business, so with reduced costs, some part standardisation and accessible engines, I would expect to see a considerable increase in high quality teams that are not associated with a big bucks car manufacturer getting involved. Gone will be the days of he who spends most wins under the corporate banner, and back into the fold would be Ferrari versus the Garagistas... which will probably mean over subscribed grids, and a return to pre-qualifying again (although this time, with the world having moved on, the level of these Garagistas should be far, far higher than some of the joke outfits of the early years...).

So here we now have cars that can race each other closely, overtake, look absolutely fantastic when lapping on track, manual gearboxes that sort the good from the great and encourage mistakes, massively reduced costs to allow a whole variety of new teams into the sport (and with it come more drivers), engines that sound varied and exciting, new engine brands on the grid, and variety throughout the field. Sounding good to you yet?

What's next?

The calendar, that's what!

View attachment 359011

22 races, much as I love watching racing, is far too many. No longer do the races really hold a special sort of atmosphere for either the teams, or the fans watching. If you are a football fan, imagine holding the World Cup every 6 months. It would be fun for a while, but after a bit it starts to lose its edge and special appeal. It becomes just another tournament. That's what is happening to Formula One right now. Back in years past, a Formula One Grand Prix was an event. Something to get excited about. Get the Sunday dinner out the way quick, settle down on the sofa with friends and family, and really soak up the special feeling of watching something major. Now, we have that many races that missing one or catching it on highlights really isn't that big of a deal. Same for the drivers and teams, so many events, they all kind of merge into one. Make a mistake at round 2, no worries, you have 20 more races to catch back up again. Not great.

I would drop the calendar down to 14 rounds, selecting only the best of the best circuits and locations, and plan the schedule accordingly so teams are less in need of shipping stuff via air freight, and can go the more environmentally friendly and cost effect sea freight route from race - to - race. I'd also ensure at least a two or three week gap between each Grand Prix, to try and keep them distanced enough to make them feel special again.

An added bonus of the reduced race quantity and frequency would be to encourage the drivers to find rides outside of the sport during the downtime (no testing in this brave new world). It used to be great to see the stars of the day in different series trying their luck. The legendary Jim Clark drove rally, BTCC, F2, IndyCar and pretty much anything he could lay his hand on. Once, Stirling Moss claimed to have raced something different every weekend for a full year! Just image getting the opportunity to watch Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen race a saloon car at your local event one weekend, just for the fun of it!

View attachment 359012

Because our new cars a slower than before, this also opens up the opportunity to return to more racing friendly venues in our new 14 round schedule. No longer are we chasing corporate dollars here, going to places with Tilke built borefest tracks and no crowds. We can get back to proper circuits, with gravel traps (to penalise those who screw up), and bring back such brilliant venues as Imola, Estoril, Adelaide, Kyalami and so forth. In fact, due to the regulation change (and hopefully this type of racing style would be adopted by junior formulae too), new tracks could be built in a far more dramatic fashion that the safe and sterile syndrome that seems to characterise modern circuit design (oh, and I'd ban Tilke too). Now you would have racing where the fans are, on tracks that showcase the cars and let the drivers race, with a penalty of gravel trap beaching for those who get too far over the edge - mega! Added change, I'd keep the schedule fluid, and increase the possibility of switching up some tracks each year, rather than locking in a venue for 5, 10, 15 consecutive seasons. Certain tracks, such as Monza, Silverstone, Spa, Monaco would have protected status.

As for the weekend format itself, that too would come under the big heavy banner of change that I'm proposing here. One of the key issue with modern racing for me is that the teams are all so professional, so sorted and in command of their environment now. The cars are practically perfectly setup at optimal configuration right from the get go. So I'd ban simulation tools and technical telemetry, and give the teams a single 60 minute practice session to setup their cars for qualifying and the race. Oh, and I'd run it on Saturday morning, with qualifying lasting for 60 minutes in the afternoon. For the race itself, I think the current distance is perfectly fine.

With this change, I would hope the skill of setting up the car is firmly back in the hands of the driver and his / her engineer, again, allowing the more skilled pilots to have a greater input into success. Added bonus, this condensed schedule and lack of telemetry ramps up the pressure for people to get it wrong, and brings into play the potential curve ball of faster drivers making errors in setup or crashing in practice, starting lower down the order than they would normally. These are ingredients for an exciting race weekend.

View attachment 359013

While we are at it, I'd throw together a special event on the Friday where the F1 drivers race against the local hero's and special guests in one of the national series cars (something single make to ensure fairness). Added entertainment for the fans, and a great showcase for local drivers and up and coming stars to compete in equal machinery with the big boys (thinking about Senna blitzing the field in the Mercedes one make cup event back in the early 80's here).

Also, while we are at it, let's put together a legends race like the short lived Grand Prix Masters series tried to achieve back in 2005. It could be a series where retired drivers over 45 years of age get together in a single make car for a short 10 lap race on Friday afternoon. Probably something rear wheel drive, tin top, that allows a bit of rubbing and bumping... that would be fun, and the subject of another article all of its own further down the line...

View attachment 359014

A compact schedule, plenty to entertain the TV and trackside audience, showcase for youngsters, added jeopardy for the starting grid order but not through artificial means (those doing the best job still come out on top), tracks that bring good racing and cater to dedicated fan bases, increased importance towards each Grand Prix... all makes up a pretty decent bash at how the series is presented I reckon...

Another interesting new idea I'd like to see thrown into the mix, and I admit this one is dangerously close to being a gimmick, but should be ok I hope, is to have an extra car on the F1 grid run by an independent outfit (like Paul Stoddart does with the F1 experience car). The team will attend each race weekend and field a special guest driver who isn't eligible for points. I suspect this driver would get a couple of hours running on Friday as extra track time to get them up to speed, and of course they would have to be suitably qualified for the role, but this could be an exceptional way to add another really interesting point of discussion for the fans, and could even give opportunities to drivers that otherwise might not have the exposure without it.

Here I'm thinking the drive could go to a local star of that country (imagine Mick Schumacher at the German Grand Prix for example), or maybe an IndyCar or Nascar star for the US round, Jamie Chadwick for the UK race - the possibilities are endless here. Would be a nice fun element to add into the race weekend, and could even uncover some surprise talents.

So in the age old tradition of a good bullet point list (for those that can't be bothered to read the article), these are the key features (for me at least) that would make Formula One great again:

• 85% reduction in aerodynamics.
  • Remove electronics (dash readout / energy recovery / other modern trickery)
  • Standardised front and rear wings (and whatever other bits are needed) that ensure sliding is quicker than neat driving.
  • Heavier reliance on mechanical grid.
  • Considerably extended braking distances.
  • Hard tyres that last full race weekend without drop off in pace.
  • Open regulations on engine size (V6/V8/V10/V12) with no turbos - restricted by fuel usage to ensure no one specific type of engine is dominant.
  • Massive engine complexity reduction to encourage boutique engine builders to join the grid.
  • Return to manual h-pattern gearboxes.
  • Calendar of races on tracks that support good racing.
  • Reduce championship length to 14 races.
  • Abolish pit-to-car radio except for safety reasons.
  • Remove telemetry.
  • Change race weekend format to 60min Free Practice, 60min Qualifying and current race length as is now.
  • Guest driver per race event in the FIA run car.
  • Reintroduce gravel traps.

Just to finish off this here massive rant of text, I want any of you who don't particularly agree with my sentiments to think about this for a minute. I got hooked on Formula One early in my life, as I'm sure many of you did too, and I clearly remember being awed by the sight of Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansell banging wheels. engines screaming, sparks flying. sliding the cars out of corners and then getting out of their vehicles covered in sweat, looking like two real titans and gladiators of men. Hero's if you will. That day (ok, it wasn't my first race but I'm trying to make a point here...) I was blown away by the whole sight, sound, drama, danger, noise, excitement of the whole thing... it was intoxicating.

View attachment 359015

Does that happen in modern day racing? Do those senses get stimulated watching an inch perfect display of class that modern Formula One cars inevitably produce? Saving tyres, passing under DRS, performing undercuts in the pits? Hmmm.

Going trackside, my first real life Formula One race was the 1996 British Grand Prix at Silverstone. I remember pulling up at the car park (a good way away from the track, but don't get me started on my opinion of the spectator experience at Silverstone), and walking the near endless distance to get trackside. I could hear the cars an age before we got anywhere near the viewing spot, and it sent the hairs on the back of my neck standing on edge! Not to mention the feeling of velocity as the cars whipped past me into the (now sadly lost) Bridge corner toward the end of the old Silverstone lap layout... pure, unadulterated excitement. Senses blown.

Those feelings, ladies and gentlemen, are what I firmly believe hook people into our sport for life.

When you can watch a driver doing things that look near superhuman to the everyday person, going sideways at 150+ mph while taking a hand off the wheel to shift gears, that is the stuff of lifelong passion, even if that person is out front and dominating the race (as always happens in the racing world, come what may with the regulations). That is the stuff of legend, that, that is motorsport.

To illustrate my point in a way that words just cannot do justice, I invite you to check this video of Ricardo Patrese in the 1989 Williams Renault FW12C at the legendary Jacarepaguá circuit in Brazil:

Or heading a bit further down the grid, how about some Michele Alboreto action onboard the awful 1990 Footwork Arrows at the Mexican Grand Prix:

Now compare it to Lewis Hamilton setting Pole Position at the 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos :

Or Charles Leclerc setting the pace in his Ferrari at Mexico last season:

That, ladies and gentlemen, is my proposal to fix a broken Formula One.

What are your thoughts on current Formula One? Is it great as it is, could be better? What would you change given the chance (if anything?).
Let us know in the comments section below!

View attachment 358836View attachment 358837
Good points but the most important is to limit the amount of races. Just delete Vietnam, Sochi, Baku and similar stupid street circuits (I would kick Mônaco away but people likes "tradition". Less Tilkodromes which are all the same. And ban DRS for the life, worst idea ever.

Introduce a rule that halts all further development during the season for the top car, while rest of the grid is allowed to develop their car closer to the level of the top car, but not beyond or simply introduce BoP.

I do agree however that some sort of reform is needed, but i think recent ideas in formula one are aiming for such changes: simplicity (while remaining the peak of motorsports of the 21st century), cost efficiency, and more spectator friendly and more exciting form of motor racing is the goal i reckon, we are just not there yet. Considering the current situation worldwide, i am sure these good intentions will slow down even more. Who knows though, maybe these tough financial times we will be facing in the next few years will force more appealing changes.
The "bore problem" watching F1 will be completely solved in 2 ways probably within 10 years.:sneaky:
1. The public/customers are allready "voting with their feets" because of the extremely high ticket prices for being bored for 3 hours.
2. When more and more countries plan to stop/forbid sale of new petrol cars from 2030-2035 the interrests in oilburning engines will vanish.

Just Look at MotoGP.

10 years ago, they had processional races, small grids, and fierce competition from WSBK, and were in the brink of financial colapse.

Smart rules for bringing in bikes and manufacturers, with concessions for new ones to catch up to the dominant ones, allowing privateer teams with ex works bikes, controlling costs with spec ECU and a spec tire that promotes racing, together with other clever regs made wonders for that sport, instead of embarking on a "save the world" crusade of banning grid girls and being more hollier than thou.

MotoGP has the same weekend format since decades, 1 hour qualy, 45 minutes race, thats it. Nobody had to change anything , nobody had to think of ways of keeping the "lack atention span" generation happy. No need for refuelling or even change tires, just pure racing, like F1 used to be. (i dont mind changing tires, but refuelling is a big no no, 20 years of pit wall overtaking was enough).

F1 teams these days are just too big, and nobody wants to lose their jobs, so cutting aero is a big no no. Then making engines simpler is also a big no no because the big manu dont want it.

In MotoGp Honda screamed and shouted against the spec ECU. Dorna and FIM forced it anyways. What happened? Honda is still there.

Its high time the FIA, ACO, and other governing bodies start to say NO to the big manu, but thats hard right, that sweet sweet money pie is so good when it comes their way...

Take the focus off being the fastest and focus on being entertaining, design the cars as the ultimate open wheel entertainment. Or go back to an older formula. It's a sport with a stick up its ass. More Daniel Ricciardo's would help too.

Also WWE Storylines

1.No cars
2. Huge speaker blaring white noise at 121.5 dB
3.My favorite driver always wins
4.Technology grabbed randomly from each of the 20th century decades - but not fitted to cars ofc because 3 & 5
5. My favorite team always wins
6. No tracks from after Tilke was born , especially if that haven't existed for decades
7. My favorite driver always wins
8. My favorite team always wins
9. Only cool divers allowed (see 3 and 7)
10. Rain always because it's an equaliser
11. No rain ever because it causes the undeserving to win (see 3 and 7)
12. Only teams that were racing when I saw my first race
13. Only shown on the radio with visual tobacco sponsorship
14. .My favorite driver always wins (see 3 and 7)

Have them drive through the entrance of a volcano that only opens up a few hours every ten years. And for real, raise the age and weight limit on the drivers. No drivers under 25. That way they will have formed a personality and a driving style by the time the get into the drivers seat.

Hang on a minute aren't we all reading this question the wrong way? I mean isn't F1 already fixed?

FIA - Ferrari International Assistance (2000-2004) - where some see everything based toward the prancing pony. I mean Bernie did change the rules so that...

GPDA - Grand Prix Daimlers' Association (2014-2021) - where no driver in a car with a 3 pointed star on it can get a penalty that actually changes a result?
(Previously fro 2010 to 2013 the PRDA - Professional Redbull Drivers Association - where a Redbull had to be allowed to start first in every race or a secret base in Austria would unleash a foul-smelling sticky liquid that looks a lot like dehydrated wee on the world - phew glad we avoided that one).

FOCA - Formula One Cashgrabbers' Association (Big bang to the end of time) - where the 'prize money' is all handed out exactly equally and fairly based on brand recognition before a wheel has even been turned.

Yeah, that looks pretty much fixed to me. ;)

Fixing F1 very much depends on whos angle you look at it from.

- Full electric with batteries that last through the race. Slight car weight increase to 2000kg but getting rid of the 140kg internal combustion engine will help offset a lot of that. That's where road cars are going so that's where f1 needs to go! No more fuel saving either!
- replace drivers with a computer. Instead of customer engines we have customer drivers! Google, microsoft, apple, amazon etc. will be happy to join and provide their drivers. Say hello to newest f1 drivers siri and alexa!
- to improve the racing and allow for more overtakes f1 needs a new breed of circuits with less corners. So all new circuits must be ovals with two hairpin corners. This allows maximum lift and coast to save energy. These two hairpins are marked by huge windmills that produce the electricity for the whole f1 weekend. However if there is no wind we use steam engines.
- increase the wheelbase to 8 meters. Just like with human body tall and thin is beautiful.
- dirty air is a massive issue for overtaking. The easiest way to get rid of dirty air is disallow drivers and teams talk about it in public. Same goes for the car weight.
- F1 is pinnacle of motor racing and its innovative nature is tied to the teams designing and building their own cars. To make this effort cost efficient and to keep the tradition and the dna of f1, the teams will be provided plans to build the perfect f1 car exactly like they want with all the freedoms they'd ever want as long as the final shape, material and mechanical properties match the drawings inside half a millimeter.
- computers and technology has taken too central role in f1. However it is impossible to get rid of computers. So instead we should focus on limiting the transmitted data. The solution is obvious. Computers are free, internet and wireless and wired communication is banned. At the beginning of the year each team receives a truck full of FIA approved A4 sheets of paper. 20 tons exactly. And 50 kilograms of cd-r discs that can be written once. Telemetry and data collection is very important part of car development and for this reason the cars must be equipped with printers that output sheets of A4 data sheets as they circulate around the tracks. Using printer test sheets to create a massive debris field during a race however is illegal.
- rising costs and mercedes domination are serious issues and hurt f1 as legit sport. This is why there will be new budget cap that is one meter. As long as teams can place cash on top of cash and the stack is less than 1 meter tall they are inside the budget. Also to prevent mercedes domination they get half the points compared to the rest.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 105 69.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 39 25.7%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 30 19.7%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 33 21.7%