Pacific Coast

Tracks Pacific Coast 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
I think where it's an A to B track... that confuses things quite a bit... and I know exactly what you mean about it taking ages to "try" and record an AI line... Along with re-syncing the cams quite often... can be a bit of a pain lol
But after adding the high res FFB mesh and not being able to record an AI line at all for a while... now I'm not knocking it :) lol
If it records properly... It takes ages to exit back to the menu.. and seems like your computer has locked up... At a guess I think it takes about 20 - 30 mins to record it... I just leave it to do its thing. Also after a few attempts... I disabled my anti-virus / spyware software... made sure I had windows folder privileges set correctly.. which did make a difference at one point.

Basically... if everything goes correctly the AI line should be around 89 - 90 mb... If you exit out and it's only a few mb... it hasn't done it correctly, and... if it doesn't take ages to exit out (almost like your pc has locked up)... it hasn't done it correctly.
There is one final option... and that would be moving the AI line in the ksEditor... But a) that would take f*****g ages over 23km and b) it would shift the left and right spline limits.. (where the AI think they can drive) and they will impersonate a bunch of lemmings if they try and overtake each other... as the limits won't be aligned to the track edge.

The AI looping around the gas stations is exactly what I want... If Assetto wants to play ball... It was a factor when I designed the layouts of the parking lots (as well as being able to drift around them)... As with most things mod related... time will tell... fingers crossed it will work! Due to the time involved in trying things... it is a way further down my priority list though.

Depending how many attempts it takes... I aim to get a looping AI working... as well as spreading out the starting grid positions over the 23km... So as soon as you start you will have 12 oncoming cars making their way towards you... and 11 cars starting around a kilometre or so in front (and spaced out in kilometre gaps)... to overtake.. so they're already spaced out ;) If it's possible... I will get it working.

Great video, it captures where I'm attempting to go with this mod... (even if it's in a separate "traffic" layout)... We shall see mate :)

A few addon bits going in... Some of which may help stop people falling off... Up until the crash barriers go in a future update...
View attachment 172532
Note this is a rough render from 3DS Max... so will look better in game :)
EDIT - Something like this (except I think I need to lower them a bit)
View attachment 172590
Please, put them down almost completely. Think, it will be best way of how they should looking...Not sure.

Please, put them down almost completely. Think, it will be best way of how they should looking...Not sure.
Yeah cool mate... But not completely... I will lower them just enough so that when I finally get enough 3D skills, and get to the point of putting the barriers in... the bottom of the chevrons are sitting a bit above the barriers. Don't worry mate I'll make them all look good...
My 3D skills are certainly not the best in the world (slight understatement lol) But I have taste, I know what I want, and I have a pretty good attention to detail ;)

Yeah that makes complete sense, and it's along the lines of an idea I had a while ago. Except my idea was to have a looping AI so there would be the possibility of oncoming traffic. (the issue there being the crappy No Entry sign will start showing up)
Which can easily be hidden with @gamer19 No wrong way mod.

Another version (layout) of the track would be a possibility if I wasn't planning on adding multiple layouts for different starting locations for online servers. This post describes a bit more about what I'm thinking of doing at a later date... http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/pacific-coast.126505/page-2#post-2336943

I was also thinking of adding an archive in the track layouts AI folder with a traffic fast_lane.ai but that could easily get messy... Also switching AI's will mess up the track cams camera switch timing... based on the length of the fast_lane.ai
Probably having an AI Backup rar with... fast_lane(RACE).ai & fast_lane(TRAFFIC).ai will be simple enough for most people? Then just delete from the left to right brackets...

But I'm sure there will be a way... I will have to keep things tidy and with little to no chance of people messing up their files
bearing in mind that some who download this mod aren't that proficient at renaming, backing up etc.

If you want to try and record your own AI line for now... you could always try recording a pit_lane.ai.candidate instead... Then when you're finished... rename the candidate file to fast_lane.ai... it might work... (After renaming the original file 1st)
(Note: make sure you leave your computer for long enough to save it... It can take a long time... as the resulting AI file will be around 90mb)
Make sure you start recording the pit_lane ai before the gas station. So the actual "proper" pit_lane.ai can hook up to the newly recorded fast_lane.ai

See what I mean about things can easily get confusing? lol

Cool video you made by the way mate, Nice one! Feel free to post it in here if you like :)

remember the cameras.. that would mess up the IN/OUT points :( is a PITA job :)

I know you have said it yourself before but this is why you don't build a 23km track as your first ever project ;)

I almost think you would be better off putting this on hold and build something basic and small. That way a little mistake doesn't take hours or days to fix. Fat-Alfie did the same kind of thing. Got started on one project and I think he got a bit overwhelmed so he went and built Thomson Rd. Now he is back on the original project and with some great experience and knowledge to properly take on the original larger project.

This is obviously just a suggestion and not trying to tell you what to do. Just saying it wouldn't be the end of the world if you switched gears a bit and revisited this monster project later.

remember the cameras.. that would mess up the IN/OUT points :( is a PITA job :)
Yeah I know mate :) It's not a problem though... I will only do it as an extra thing anyway.. It's not my main concern or anything... But it will be cool if it does work :)
If the "traffic" layout is separate... It won't affect the cams in the other layouts... As you have a data folder in each "layout" folder ;)

I know you have said it yourself before but this is why you don't build a 23km track as your first ever project ;)

I almost think you would be better off putting this on hold and build something basic and small. That way a little mistake doesn't take hours or days to fix. Fat-Alfie did the same kind of thing. Got started on one project and I think he got a bit overwhelmed so he went and built Thomson Rd. Now he is back on the original project and with some great experience and knowledge to properly take on the original larger project.

This is obviously just a suggestion and not trying to tell you what to do. Just saying it wouldn't be the end of the world if you switched gears a bit and revisited this monster project later.
Thanks for your advice mate, and that makes sense... But seeing as this track will be dedicated to my brother who passed away last year... There is NO way that I will give up on this (or even pause on it)
Anyway it's been a good way of keeping my mind busy at a really shitty time!

Fair enough it's been a steep learning curve... But nothing good comes easy!
And as far as I'm concerned... You don't get anywhere following set rules ;)
If people throughout history followed that ideal, America wouldn't have been discovered, we'd all still think the Earth was the centre of the universe (and was flat), and the moon landings never would have happened lol

My main problem has been life commitments sucking my spare time...
That would be the same for any size of track.

The biggest hurdle I've faced so far has been the FFB mesh geometry preventing me recording any AI... I've solved that... Any other problems that feel like getting in my way... I'll solve them too :) This track might not be made with the polish as your excellent tracks mate... But I'm getting loads of messages expressing peoples love for it. As far as I'm concerned that's pretty cool in itself :)

If anyone had told me that my 1st track would have getting on for 50,000 downloads in around 4 months... I would have also thought that was impossible. No one in life acheives great things setting their sights low

It's all going pretty well now. Fair enough, it would be nice if I had better (quicker) 3DS skills...
These AI "traffic" layouts will only be an added bit of icing... If they work out... they work out... If not... I won't be wasting any time worrying about them :)

I completely agree with you that this is a monster project... especially for my 1st track... But considering that plenty of the biggest tracks on here have been in development since 2014 or 2015... 4 or 5 months work is nothing really :)

Thanks for your advice mate, and that makes sense... But seeing as this track will be dedicated to my brother who passed away last year... There is NO way that I will give up on this (or even pause on it)
Anyway it's been a good way of keeping my mind busy at a really shitty time!

Fair enough it's been a steep learning curve... But nothing good comes easy!
And as far as I'm concerned... You don't get anywhere following set rules ;)
If people throughout history followed that ideal, America wouldn't have been discovered, we'd all still think the Earth was the centre of the universe (and was flat), and the moon landings never would have happened lol

My main problem has been life commitments sucking my spare time...
That would be the same for any size of track.

The biggest hurdle I've faced so far has been the FFB mesh geometry preventing me recording any AI... I've solved that... Any other problems that feel like getting in my way... I'll solve them too :) This track might not be made with the polish as your excellent tracks mate... But I'm getting loads of messages expressing peoples love for it. As far as I'm concerned that's pretty cool in itself :)

If anyone had told me that my 1st track would have getting on for 50,000 downloads in around 4 months... I would have also thought that was impossible. No one in life acheives great things setting their sights low

It's all going pretty well now. Fair enough, it would be nice if I had better (quicker) 3DS skills...
These AI "traffic" layouts will only be an added bit of icing... If they work out... they work out... If not... I won't be wasting any time worrying about them :)

I completely agree with you that this is a monster project... especially for my 1st track... But considering that plenty of the biggest tracks on here have been in development since 2014 or 2015... 4 or 5 months work is nothing really :)
I understand fully! As long as you are enjoying it that is all that matters!

I understand fully! As long as you are enjoying it that is all that matters!
Cheers mate :) The AI issue wasn't fun... and my slow 3DS skills are a bit frustrating when I know that someone with your skills would have had things done much much faster... But it's fun seeing things progress despite some tough problems. The next update will be a huge step in the right direction :)
My passion to create a beautiful environment that would make my Brother proud is keeping me fired up to get this to where I want it... however long it takes! :)
Now if only I could win the lottery so I could do this full time...! lol

"Cruise" AI lines recorded (I prefered the word cruise to... traffic... because traffic sucks! lol)
Along with an ai_hints.ini so the AI drive at 8/10's for a slightly more relaxed cruising speed.
Which also mean you can cruise against all the cooler supercars ;) Give them a few minutes head start... and hunt them down!
It looks far more authentic with the AI driving on the right and overtaking on the left.

The "Race" AI line will be the default AI....

If you want to cruise against the AI...

You simply...
1st rename fast_lane.ai to... fast_lane(RACE).ai
then rename fast_lane(CRUISE).ai to... fast_lane.ai

I will include an instructions.txt detailing the file sizes of both AI lines... in case anyone gets confused....

Then to get the sync'ed track cameras... you rename back...

If any of that is too complicated... You won't get to cruise!

"Cruise" AI lines recorded (I prefered the word cruise to... traffic... because traffic sucks! lol)
Along with an ai_hints.ini so the AI drive at 8/10's for a slightly more relaxed cruising speed.
Which also mean you can cruise against all the cooler supercars ;) Give them a few minutes head start... and hunt them down!
It looks far more authentic with the AI driving on the right and overtaking on the left.

You simply...

I will include an instructions.txt detailing the file sizes of both AI lines... in case anyone gets confused....

Why not make a new layouts for the different AI lines?

Why not make a new layouts for the different AI lines?
I have plans to add a few layouts with different starting locations spread out over the track... mainly for online servers...
I will also make a "Lap" AI line (as a layout) so there will be oncoming traffic....
So I don't want to polute everyone's track list with about 10 different layouts, other than that I would

I have to move the left and right start nodes off the main highway (in a separate kn5 obviously) for the "lap" layout to work. So that one has to be a separate layout.
It's a pain in the ass that the wrong way sign is linked to the fastlane though. The only way to get rid of that is to replace the png with a transparent one. I think most people will think that's a small price to pay to have oncoming traffic :)

It will only be available as a quick race... Otherwise when the AI loop around the gas stations either end... It will get extremely messy!

I have to move the left and right start nodes off the main highway (in a separate kn5 obviously) for the "lap" layout to work. So that one has to be a separate layout.
It's a pain in the ass that the wrong way sign is linked to the fastlane though. The only way to get rid of that is to replace the png with a transparent one. I think most people will think that's a small price to pay to have oncoming traffic :)

It will only be available as a quick race... Otherwise when the AI loop around the gas stations either end... It will get extremely messy!
I think you guys should be fairly happy this traffic thing even sort of works. The sim was just not designed with this in mind and I doubt it would be much different if you tried it in any other sim.

@Phoenix77 never mind my question in the other thread, Pacific Coast, of course, looking forward to, literally, incoming traffic.:laugh:
I lost what thread I was in for a second... I hope the oncoming AI don't get as confused as I can get lol
It should be fun... I will space out the starting positions for all 23 AI as well... in kilometre increments to shake things up :)
As long as the AI don't try and overtake at the same time another car is coming the other way... it should work out fine :)

Glad you're looking forward to it mate :) The "Cruise" AI line is working extremely well... especially with the ai_hints.ini adjustment... If only they could simply come off the gas instead of keep touching the brakes!

You simply...

giphy.gif

I have plans to add a few layouts with different starting locations spread out over the track... mainly for online servers...
I will also make a "Lap" AI line (as a layout) so there will be oncoming traffic....
So I don't want to polute everyone's track list with about 10 different layouts, other than that I would

I would much prefer to just have multiple layouts than having to rename text files every time, but I'm more than happy with whatever you can come up with. :thumbsup: I'll probably only ever use it for cruising anyway so once I change it I'll probably just leave it on cruise. :)

I lost what thread I was in for a second... I hope the oncoming AI don't get as confused as I can get lol
It should be fun... I will space out the starting positions for all 23 AI as well... in kilometre increments to shake things up :)
As long as the AI don't try and overtake at the same time another car is coming the other way... it should work out fine :)

Glad you're looking forward to it mate :) The "Cruise" AI line is working extremely well... especially with the ai_hints.ini adjustment... If only they could simply come off the gas instead of keep touching the brakes!
Like Brandon mentioned above, me to I prefer multiple layout instead of having to rename files in a folder.
About incoming traffic, I have noticed that often, even with one AI passing an other with a 3rd car coming the other way, on SP 237, which I believe might even be narrower than yours, they do not collide most of the time.

giphy.gif

I would much prefer to just have multiple layouts than having to rename text files every time, but I'm more than happy with whatever you can come up with. :thumbsup: I'll probably only ever use it for cruising anyway so once I change it I'll probably just leave it on cruise. :)
It's a bit of a dilema really... As I personally don't like having my track selection screen poluted with shed-loads of layouts...
But I agree renaming files is a bit of complicated way of doing it... But then again it isn't rocket surgery complicated.
I suppose I could do as many layouts as I want and people can just delete the layouts they don't want?

It's a shame the AI layouts are around 90mb each... I have no idea yet how large the "lap" AI line will be. If it's 180mb...
That's massive... I might have to release them as separate mods... Now that is a possibility ;)

lol at the Wayne's world clip... who's not worthy of who?

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 15 30.0%