Pacific Coast

Tracks Pacific Coast 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
@Jez_Hammond That is strange, there are usually some drivers in there... Maybe someone went too fast, got a little scared, and farted... Hopefully a Pacific Breeze will blow it away soon :D
I've had posts altered by moderators on here... It's just something that happens mate... I didn't even spell the word out... And I was describing how good something was :D

If there are ever any nameless, faceless online trolls... Just stick on a tune like this... and go for a cruise :) Cool Runnings mate :thumbsup:

Anyways, nice track
Thanks John, glad you like the track... but please don't "Justin Timberlake up" my thread lol :D
Otherwise you might start @AccAkut posting some strange German people having fun with foliage! :confused:

Oh and I've only just noticed this thread has had over 49,000 views... I thought it was just me and a few people following developments, proves how much I know!

Oh and I've only just noticed this thread has had over 49,000 views... I thought it was just me and a few people following developments, proves how much I know!
Look further, your track here is the 5th most downloaded track for AC on RD, right after Donington, Snoopy's Nordschleife, Circuit de La Sarthe and Bridgehampton.

Look further, your track here is the 5th most downloaded track for AC on RD, right after Donington, Snoopy's Nordschleife, Circuit de La Sarthe and Bridgehampton.
Thanks for the info, nice... seeing as the other four are tracks... That means I have the most downloaded road track on Race Department, pretty cool for my 1st track :)

Shame it doesn't have a few more reviews, but that is what it is... and it's been on here a year less time than all of them... A couple of years less than Donington! :)

Started playing about with the terrain textures...
Screenshot_ferrari_458_pacific_coast_19-12-117-2-51-45.jpg

Screenshot_ferrari_458_pacific_coast_19-12-117-3-25-30.jpg

Screenshot_ks_nissan_gtr_pacific_coast_20-12-117-9-36-53.jpg

Screenshot_ks_nissan_gtr_pacific_coast_20-12-117-9-44-53.jpg

Including the mask...
pch1_mask.jpg

Which i'll tweak further... adding roadside rockface areas to the mask... to blend with the actual faces that i'll detach, subdivide, pull the verts about and add higher resolution rock textures.

I still have to re-UV the road and roadedge textures, add FFB mesh to side roads, combine all the separate roadsign textures into a billboard, block barriers & roadsigns into combined objects, remove the double yellows from the highway textures and make them separate objects, splitting into various line sections (double yellows, dashed etc), add loads of bushes, long grass, short grass, telegraph poles.... and loads of other stuff.

The next priorities are sort out the terrain mesh normals, terrain textures and bushes.

Out-effing-standing @Phoenix77... Those most recent screenshots are gorgeous. I love the way you've blended the bitmaps so the edge of the road, dirt and grass flow into each other naturally - not some ridiculously sharp edge that looks phony. The color looks great. The textures have a nice, soft and realistic saturation level. The only thing that might be overdone would be the yellow arrow signs. Then again, they might not be oversaturated at all. I know that signs like those are usually bright and reflective/glowing so they can be seen from a distance and seen in slightly foggy air, etc. I probably should have googled some real life examples before writing about it in this thread...Either way, you're continuing to impress me with each update. Keep it up!!

Just wanna add my Thanks for this lovely piece of road, I've been enjoying the new cars on it today and having a lot of fun.
Thanks Marc, you're more than welcome, after all... fun is what this road is all about :)
Haven't had time to test the new cars out just yet... But glad to hear they're fun... I'm looking forward to giving them a try soon :thumbsup:

Looking good Phoenix! Can't wait to try it. :cool:
Thanks mate, plenty more work to go... getting the detail textures coming through the diffuse how I want them to... and sorting out some wonky vert normals / slightly wonky mesh. But it's got to be 100% sorted (like the road position is now) before the bush planting can begin. I can't wait to get the bushes done as it will go a long way to filling in the details, will up the sense of speed and distance massively.

If I can find an easy way of selecting all of the open mesh edges in Max and pulling those normals up... It will make things far simpler. Hopefully I'm overlooking something stupidly simple :D

Out-effing-standing @Phoenix77... Those most recent screenshots are gorgeous.
Cheers Alb, glad you're liking the progress :)
The only thing that might be overdone would be the yellow arrow signs. Then again, they might not be oversaturated at all. I know that signs like those are usually bright and reflective/glowing so they can be seen from a distance and seen in slightly foggy air, etc
These textures aren't final yet... I don't think any of the textures are yet... including the road textures and road signs... So no worries about pointing out about the chevrons.. thanks.
Recently I've got the main road sign billboard done...
they were simply a clean yellow background before... Now I'm adding some grungy-ness to them.
I might do a few variations of the chevrons... as they're next to each other... to lower repetitions.
roadsigns_bb_01.jpg

Also where they're all going to be combined into billboards... There will be 16X less materials used.
There will probably be a few more billboards, for distance signs, barrier and bridge end warning signs,
Speed limit signs etc... I'll be keeping them separated roughly by colour, so I can tweak the shaders, independently if they have a yellow, white or greenish background :)

The good thing about playing about with the textures is... LA Canyons, Bixby Creek PCH, and The Snake all sort of get updated at the same time... as they're all in California :)

v0.95 was released a bit early... just to get the much better flowing road layout out there... and it was a year after the 1st release.

Last edited:
wow, latest pics look fantastic :)
Thanks Glen... Now I've managed to get the detail textures showing better through the diffuse it should look a bit more like this.
Screenshot_ks_maserati_alfieri_pacific_coast_22-12-117-2-1-43.jpg

Screenshot_ks_maserati_alfieri_pacific_coast_22-12-117-1-50-19.jpg

Still got to refine the mask some more... Smoothing out transitions & adding more blue (rock)... But already it's making a difference :) Once that's done.. It's ready for a serious amount of bushes... But not the bushes I showed previously... I need to make some bushes that will come out of the ground higher... and not have a line intersecting the terrain. The previous bushes will still work at a medium / far distance from the road.
Screenshot_ks_maserati_alfieri_pacific_coast_22-12-117-1-54-23.jpg

Screenshot_ks_maserati_alfieri_pacific_coast_22-12-117-1-23-41.jpg

I will also be optimising the currently pretty un-optimal road signs, to get back some performance... and hopefully that will compensate for all the bushes going in.

looking good!
any changes to the general darkness of environment/trees when not illuminated by the sun vs current released version?
Thanks Chris, the way I've tweaked the textures, getting the detail textures popping through the diffuse... has meant I've been able to get the ambient and diffuse shader settings of the main KN5 much higher... The settings for the main pacific_coast.kn5 affect all the other KN5's... So hopefully things will be closer to Kunos light level settings ;)

The ARGB mask is pretty much done, will need some more, cyan, magenta and yellow to blend the transitions more. But it's really starting to do what I want now.
Screenshot_ks_lamborghini_sesto_elemento_pacific_coast_26-12-117-5-40-19.jpg
Screenshot_ks_lamborghini_sesto_elemento_pacific_coast_26-12-117-5-9-14.jpg

As you can see the ambient value give plenty of detail in the shade :)
Screenshot_ks_lamborghini_sesto_elemento_pacific_coast_26-12-117-5-17-42.jpg

Playing about with textures, and particularly the mask, is a great way to improve the visuals if I haven't got much available time :)
Screenshot_ks_lamborghini_sesto_elemento_pacific_coast_26-12-117-6-8-26.jpg

Even without a single bush or blade of grass added... The 'bland' areas are no longer looking so bland.
The next version is going to look quite different ;)

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 60 38.2%
  • Porsche

Votes: 62 39.5%
  • BMW

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • McLaren

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • Toyota

Votes: 63 40.1%
  • Intel

Votes: 20 12.7%