PC3 Project CARS 3 | New Game Announced For Summer 2020 Release

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Slightly Mad Studios have dropped their first reveal trailer for Project CARS 3 - also confirming the game will be available on console and PC this summer.

With two and a half years having passed since Project CARS 2 hit the public stores back in September 2017, Slightly Mad Studios have undergone quite a bit of change, having teamed up with Codemasters and announced their Fast and Furious arcade racer.

Well, the team are back again this year it seems, with the third instalment of the Project CARS franchise due to drop in just a few short months.

Not much is known about the new game at this stage, however the announcement trailer and tweet do suggest maybe a more street car focus for the new title, which is an interesting change of direction from the first two instalments in the franchise.

Stay tuned for more information as and when it becomes available.

Project CARS 3 will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC this summer.

Stay tuned for the upcoming Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment - a great place to discuss this interesting new title with fellow simulation fans.

PCARS 3 1.jpg

I'm fully convinced that you could put some people in this community in a real race car, on a real track, and they would come back saying that physics were off. You would probably hear some b.s. about how the car had center pole physics, and the brakes weren't realistic, and it understeered way too much. Oh, and don't forget that "it had horrible FFB."

I went to racing school when I was young, and did some lower formula open wheel racing when I was in my 20's, and personally I don't think any of the racing sims, of which I have all most all of them, are spot on. Mostly I like specific cars, in most of the sims I own, including PCars2.

I don't know how anyone can make up their mind about PCars3 from watching this trailer. Is it going to be the best sim ever? Is it going to be the worst sim ever? My guess is probably somewhere in between.

I remembered at earlier days of WMD. There was a franchise plan for Pcars where what they are doing now and Pcars 2 is essentially their plan. They always seemed to want to do some sort of upgrades in pcars, if not why are Bisimoto (they made a drift van), Stanceworks and a few tuner brands on random GT3s in pcars 2.

I mean, I don't mind if they do Forza upgrades correctly. None of the V12 swap with AWD crap that is plaguing Forza. And fundamentally, Madness engine is great.

My concern is still, why are the pits closed in the gameplay? And why is the UI so simple? What happened to the tire heat UI? That is what is concerning for me.

Maybe there is a reason why Reiza has access to madness engine, it looks more and more like passing the torch now with Reiza announcing GT1, Group C along with GT3/4 coming to AMS2. While Pcars can still risk with weird ideas like dynamic weather/day-night, seasons, car upgrades and so on. Seriously, I do no really want to have another GT3 simulator with ACC being out and Raceroom, rf2, iracing and so on having tonnes of them. Not that I am sick of it, I enjoy driving them but it is nice to see someone trying to push the design of racing games in some ways.

I wish that the physics is still the same strong core that is tweaked better. Not thrown away to please arcade audience. At the end, you might please no one at all, like that god damn awful Grid 2019.

I don't know how anyone can make up their mind about PCars3 from watching this trailer. Is it going to be the best sim ever? Is it going to be the worst sim ever? My guess is probably somewhere in between.

For me, the trailer gave me the same feeling as Dirt 4 trailer. It looks horrible and Pcars trailer used to be awesome to look at. Then, the gameplay does not give much confidence too. Not the physics because it is damn hard to see how good is it from a video without playing.

The closed pits and simplistic UI is really worrying. Heck, even damn Forza managed to have tire temperature on the UI and pits opened.

With AMS2 you are sadly also giving some money to SMS.

Well, It doesn't look like something for me either, but unlike some of the completely weird vitriolic attitudes of others here, I won't begrudge someone making a living just because I don't like their product. (Mark Zuckerberg being a possible exception to this)

I'm fully convinced that you could put some people in this community in a real race car, on a real track, and they would come back saying that physics were off. You would probably hear some b.s. about how the car had center pole physics, and the brakes weren't realistic, and it understeered way too much. Oh, and don't forget that "it had horrible FFB."

I went to racing school when I was young, and did some lower formula open wheel racing when I was in my 20's, and personally I don't think any of the racing sims, of which I have all most all of them, are spot on. Mostly I like specific cars, in most of the sims I own, including PCars2.

This x10.

I would go so far as to say anyone jacking off about how such and such a sim isn't realistic enough because fizziks/FFB/[insert here] is totally and utterly FOS.

I watched Heusinkveld's video yesterday and he's more or less saying the same:

Simracers need to take a chill pill on the OCD realism fetish, and accept each game on their own merits and technical achievement in providing a great experience that takes a level of skill to control. That's all you can expect driving a virtual car/place/train/[insert here] on consumer level systems. Maybe if you have a $50K++ full motion rig to train in you can start to be a little more critical, but they have orders of magnitude channels of info to experience than what 99% of simracers have to work with.

If you've invested $500-$5K in a wheel/seat/pedals to pretend you are a real race driver than you still need to realize you are working with very limited channels of information and no amount of whining or chest beating about "realism" is going to provide them. It comes down to how well executed the sim is in order to provide your brain with enough information to fill in the gaps and provide a great experience beyond a simplistic arcade racer. OCD obsessing over "reality" is hilarious, but I guess if someone has invested $500 to $5K in hardware then they feel they need some way to justify it, and bitching about "realism" seems to do the trick for a lot of them. It does get tiring listening to them though.

They should be adopting more an attitude of "does this sim have a real learning curve to control the machine with the tools I have , and also provide a great experience beyond a simple arcade racer".
Plus there's a host of other benefits sims (racing, flight, or otherwise) provide that are far more valuable than an obsessive focus on replacing reality: mental focus training, discipline, physical control (lets not forget people that have disabilities that can play them via https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-adaptive-controller/8nsdbhz1n3d8) and other things that can be applied to real life beyond driving a car.

Personally I uninstalled PC2, AC, iRacing and others because my answer to that was NO.
Sticking with AMS2, ACC, and DR2 for now though because YES!

Are they "realistic"? **** no, but they are fun.

Last edited:
I'll pass, I have PC1 and PC2, not much play time. I already have more play time with AM2, and it's still beta. I wouldn't mind Assetto Corsa 2 (with MOD support) but with graphic's engine as fast as AC1. ACC is too slow and looks bad. They should use first engine and improve on it.

Simracers need to take a chill pill on the OCD realism fetish, and accept each game on their own merits and technical achievement in providing a great experience that takes a level of skill to control. That's all you can expect driving a virtual car/place/train/[insert here] on consumer level systems. Maybe if you have a $50K++ full motion rig to train in you can start to be a little more critical, but they have orders of magnitude channels of info to experience than what 99% of simracers have to work with.

They should be adopting more an attitude of "does this sim have a real learning curve to control the machine with the tools I have , and also provide a great experience beyond a simple arcade racer".

Personally I uninstalled PC2, AC, iRacing and others because my answer to that was NO.
Sticking with AMS2, ACC, and DR2 for now though because YES!

Are they "realistic"? **** no, but they are fun.

I mostly agree with you. The Codemasters' F1 games are great examples of games that are not realistic but are a lot of fun to play. But when people complain that they are not realistic, I always reply that if these games were "truly" realistic, a very, very small percentage of people would be able to enjoy them. To me, the main difference between reality and a game is the most important: you do not risk you life when you simdrive. Not to mention, if you crash, you simply go back to the main menu instead of having to pay several thousands of dollars. That's obvious, of course, but when people think of realism in a sim, they should never forget that. Add to this the fact that the physical sensations are not the same: no extreme heat in the cockpit, no smells of oil or tires, etc.

I play these games because they are fun and they are a great way to unwind. But I never assume that what I do in front of my PC screen is anywhere near the same as what a real pro does.

But I'll add this: simracing makes me enjoy watching real racing even more because they help me learn a lot about what goes on during a real race. Ever since I got into this hobby, I don't watch races like I used to before.

I mostly agree with you. The Codemasters' F1 games are great examples of games that are not realistic but are a lot of fun to play.

I don't believe for a second that I know what realistic is, Never driven one, don't have the expertise to comment, But I want to have an experience that fools me into thinking I'm driving something close to its real world counterpart, That's when I'm most immersed and enjoying the experience the most.

And the F1 games don't do that for me at all, The driving model has very limited detail, and responds in ways that my brain doesn't find believable or inline with real world expectations which ruins the immersion and pops me out of the zone.

So yeah, No fun for me at all. Doesn't mean the game is bad, I'm sure the target market loves it. It could just be so much better while still maintaining that ease of play that they are going for. Its 2020 after all, No need to have a driving model stolen from a game in 1998.

Last edited:

Longer gameplay.

It looks like the pits are close and Shanghai does not even have pit lane. The UI has no tire wear, tire heat and fuel levels. The minimap also does not have the pit lane mapped.

This is getting really worrying.

I really enjoyed Pcars 2 but Pcars 3 without WMD, then, you get essentially a Grid game. It really feels weird and it isn't what I expected. I hope they won't go "there won't be pits because only 5% of players used it" type of PR.

I think it might be Project CARS: Grid. Hope it is still good at the end as I really love Grid 1 and Grid Autosport.

• Deleted member 379375

Looks like they're not even going to pretend it's a sim this time, so hopefully there won't be a load of marketing BS like there was with PC2 telling us it was going to be the most authentic driving experience ever and turned out to be anything but.

SMS were never suited for the hardcore sim market anyhow, they tend to abandon their software after a couple of patches rather than supporting and developing their products for years like other sim developers.

This might turn out to be a good fun arcade game, but I doubt it will be anything more than that.

Amen

Lets me be honest. First I was like: 'Nooooooooooo, no, no, no, no. God, no, no!'' But then I saw the trailer and the beta-gameplay and I was like: 'Ha-ha!'' Good. For the casual crowd there's Shift 3 / pCars 3. For the hardcore niche crowd there's ACC and AMS 2. I am happy it won't hamper the sales of AMS 2.
You are right, it would actually be a huge dick move if SMS/Codemasters released a sim right now with Reiza just finishing their title on the same engine.

They would no doubt have the splashier marketing and car list, and put the perhaps(almost certainly) more refined AMS 2 in it's shade.

But with this arcade title it's smooth sailing.

well, having a bit of experience in the field,
it's not as easy as it seems, as a company you have to make money, and if another company buys you, you need to make even more money then before

it's a sort of evolution which sadly means that the original games tend to be better then the follow ups

we saw with trend with SimBin, EA, - you name it !

we might see the same with Kunos,especially after Lord Kunos left,
we might see the same with AMS, if they get bought by big player

big corporations destroy the market, becasue they want revenue over quality products, that's how it looks like most of the time

but on the other hand, that opens up space for new companies trying to get a share of the market by providing something that's much better then mainstream

and it keeps going around and around,
new small company making great games, until it gets bought off and starts focusing on sales , new company comes up .. etc

what's sad is that in few years time, this might be even worse, if we will see more of a market model that you see for phone games, where the quality is very bad in general , and games are free with tons of ads

That's very true, other area of gaming i enjoy is RPGs (also kinda niche) and when someone hits it big you never know... the next game might not have the things that made me love it.

Of course i'm not that concerned about Pcars no longer being a sim because it was the ugly bastard child of simracing so to speak (imo).

To some of the guys who started with it and liked it for what it was... time to expand your horizons, there's plenty for you to get to know.

I was a big supporter and fan of PC2. It was a sim, whether you liked it or not. However watching this gameplay footage of PC3 looks like they're bringing the series in a different direction and leaving their supporters like me who've stood behind and have taken years of abuse by the rest of the sim community behind. With a heavy heart, PC3 will probably be a hard pass for me as well. I'll stick with my holy trinity of ACC, RF2, and PC2.

From the look of the video it seems that they are straying more in the direction of arcade rather than simulation. I was excited when both Project Cars 1 & 2 came out even though they didn't quite live up to my hopes. Looking at the video, maybe version 3 will live up to my expectations because it looks like an arcade racer meaning my hopes for it are very low.

Here we go again. I hope it's good, but I'm not holding my breath. PC2 was an improvement on PC1 but, IMO, wasn't really drivable (not enjoyably, at least). Many of the cars had a funny pivot feeling at times where they seemed to rotate around a point at the center of the car (rather than feeling like they were connected to the road by, you know, the tires). Most of the tracks also looked like they were circa 2005 versions with a bit of lipstick applied.

Runs great in VR, though. Reiza is doing good things with the engine in AMS2, so maybe SMS can put something together.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 301 34.5%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 245 28.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 164 18.8%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 7.7%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 24 2.8%