PC3 Project CARS 3 | New Game Announced For Summer 2020 Release

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Slightly Mad Studios have dropped their first reveal trailer for Project CARS 3 - also confirming the game will be available on console and PC this summer.

With two and a half years having passed since Project CARS 2 hit the public stores back in September 2017, Slightly Mad Studios have undergone quite a bit of change, having teamed up with Codemasters and announced their Fast and Furious arcade racer.

Well, the team are back again this year it seems, with the third instalment of the Project CARS franchise due to drop in just a few short months.

Not much is known about the new game at this stage, however the announcement trailer and tweet do suggest maybe a more street car focus for the new title, which is an interesting change of direction from the first two instalments in the franchise.

Stay tuned for more information as and when it becomes available.

Project CARS 3 will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC this summer.

Stay tuned for the upcoming Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment - a great place to discuss this interesting new title with fellow simulation fans.

PCARS 3 1.jpg

Adding my voice to all the comments above.
Codies smearing the name of Project Cars, no damage crashes, no pit lanes, talking about silly stuff like arcade gameplay and not even a word about physics...etc all are disappointments.

STRONG opinion:
The problem isn't in road tracks. In fact too much track racing can have arcade aspects in my opinion: I hate the phenomenon of alien boys who did the same track for million of times and learned all the unrealistic tricks of the game. In real life I (as a driver) enjoy dangerous driving on roads, mountains, unpredictable twisty roads and high ways as much as I enjoy it on tracks.

Long story short: A full physics-realistic hardcore DRIVING, cruising, visiting cities and countryside roads is really missing while we already have some track racing sims, but pC3 doesn't seem to be that missing link.

• Deleted member 197115

Very much doubt it was shelved. SMS probably heard about what they were doing and bought the idea off them. They strike me as the type of people who would do that.

I don't normally respond to trolls, but this has to be asked.

If you hate it so much, why do you keep playing and testing it??? Or are you commenting about an early beta version, and if so your point is moot, as it feels amazing now. If i hated a game so much, i wouldn't bother to continue testing it or playing it, let alone bother wasting time commenting on it.

Your comment is horrible dude even after editing.

Let the guy say what he thinks it's all for the benifit of us all.

If I wanted staff behavior like this I would go to iRacing forum or to Kim Jong Un forum either are the same.

Why not use your skills then for constructive criticism and assistance over at the Reiza forums, instead of posting what reads like an attack (ohhhh thats right you are an engineer, you don't do communication very well (i know this because i too am an Engineer :) )

The FFB is perfectly fine now (i too had issues early on), and i agree the physics aren't perfect yet, but i think they will get there. It's still in beta, go help them constructively posting the issues over on their forum.

Ok back to the topic at hand. PC3 meh!

I'm an engineer too and I endorse the fact that engineers are completely tone deaf and have no communication skills at al...oh, wait

Adding my voice to all the comments above.
Codies smearing the name of Project Cars, no damage crashes, no pit lanes, talking about silly stuff like arcade gameplay and not even a word about physics...etc all are disappointments.

STRONG opinion:
The problem isn't in road tracks. In fact too much track racing can have arcade aspects in my opinion: I hate the phenomenon of alien boys who did the same track for million of times and learned all the unrealistic tricks of the game. In real life I (as a driver) enjoy dangerous driving on roads, mountains, unpredictable twisty roads and high ways as much as I enjoy it on tracks.

Long story short: A full physics-realistic hardcore DRIVING, cruising, visiting cities and countryside roads is really missing while we already have some track racing sims, but pC3 doesn't seem to be that missing link.

Why not build your own, and quit bitching about others not doing it properly.
You'll find out it's a lot more difficult than you think, and the target market that wants it might not be prepared to pay for what is needed to develop it.

Simracers are spoiled for choice with what current technology can do on reasonable budgets, quit yer whining FFS.

Why not build your own, and quit bitching about others not doing it properly.
You'll find out it's a lot more difficult than you think, and the target market that wants it might not be prepared to pay for what is needed to develop it.

Simracers are spoiled for choice with what current technology can do on reasonable budgets, quit yer whining FFS.

After Ian Bell declaration about the physics being improved from pC2 this might be the sim idea I am talking about. Who knows? Let's wait and see.

end the end of the day, lot of this is subjective anyhow

why else would there be such different experiences ?
why for someone iracing is absolutely the best? why other say it's AMS instead ? why AC/ACC ??

if the sims are properly realistic, it should be all the same - shouldn't it not ?

i honestly think that what are you used to / what your expectations are has far bigger effect then most of you would admit and this is same in real life too

I found if funny where there was a TV show " you want to become a racer" or something along those lines, where one of the test was to drive car on track, then engineers would change something drastic in the car setup and the driver was supposed to tell them what he think they changed, and so many people would have no clue, or would say that there was huge difference in driving , while they didn't change anything on the car

what's my point ?? even people aspiring to do this on professional level can't tell a difference , why would we be any better? EGOs all the way

I could lie and say im not getting fooled 3 times. But who am I kidding I know Im getting this. Im a sucker for new stuff.
I will probably buy it just so that people can keep saying that I'm on their payroll :)

honestly though, I personally have no issues with more arcade stuff (eventhough other that assumption there's no proof of that being their direction) , when they are done well

latest Grid was a huge letdown for me, because the cars just weren't rewarding to drive, and race against cheating AI , but I have no issues with latest NFS, if I just want to drive around and look at pretty cars

if the sims are properly realistic, it should be all the same - shouldn't it not ?

i honestly think that what are you used to / what your expectations are has far bigger effect then most of you would admit and this is same in real life too
Have you seen the latest video from Niels Heusinkveld? It's amazing. He talks about how hard should sims be and basically points out that telemetry can often be less reliable than people might think (for various reasons), and also mentions plenty of other stuff that has an effect on it all, including exactly what you mention - our own expectations and assumptions.

I have to say I just love how simracers can spend days arguing about this or that aspect of the car being a milimeter or a degree off and how it makes a car completely unrealistic, and here's one of the most competent people in regards of sim physics basically saying it's all quite relative and subjective and the data available are not completely reliable even under the best circumstances.

A bit more explanation for what I tried to say above:

We need to free our minds from the idea that there are only realistic racing sims or arcade driving sims. When I started Euro Truck Simulator 2 and asked the community about the simulation aspect they were like: "physics? we don't know what this means".

I know you guys are too good to drive a road Merc AMG or a road Honda NSXy, but I happily drive anything even 1994 Toyota Corolla.

The problem isn't in road cars or driving on roads,
The problem (or the question) is in the core physics engine, examples car control, understeer/oversteer, throttle and brake response, weight, movement, suspension travel, accurate cars and tracks, the tire model, aero model, damage model...etc are all those realistic or horribly arcade-ish.

I wonder how SMS took all the criticism toward PC2... I've enjoyed the limited time I've driven it, but haven't been able to wrap my head around the unevenness behind those criticisms; "some tracks are laser scanned"/"some cars are more realistic than others"/"generally bad default tunes for most cars"/etc. I still have a great time behind the wheel though.

Do you think they'll go full "Shift 3", or some cross between Shift2+PC2? I would enjoy a sim-oriented, street racing "-style" game (or hell, as SMS have already done, a sim racer that pretty much attempts to do "everything"), crossing the car customization of S2 with the simulation lean of PC2. Not to mention the awful time I've had trying to get S2 to control, be it with a controller or a wheel

Nonetheless, this is just a stylish tease—here's hoping PC3 represents a great combination of SMS' past work!

PS: What do they mean behind the sudden reveal and short-notice release of PC3 vs. imminent Automobilista 2 full release simultaneously?

Have you seen the latest video from Niels Heusinkveld? It's amazing. He talks about how hard should sims be and basically points out that telemetry can often be less reliable than people might think (for various reasons), and also mentions plenty of other stuff that has an effect on it all, including exactly what you mention - our own expectations and assumptions.

I have to say I just love how simracers can spend days arguing about this or that aspect of the car being a milimeter or a degree off and how it makes a car completely unrealistic, and here's one of the most competent people in regards of sim physics basically saying it's all quite relative and subjective and the data available are not completely reliable even under the best circumstances.

thanks, I havent' watchced it

as much as I don;t like AMS, I love his videos !

Pcars2 is usually bashed being called simcade. It's a proper sim, not for all tastes, but it's a sim.

Each sim has its bad times, pcars 2 was unrealistic, for a few weeks iracing is absolutely unrealistic, for a few days rfactor 2 is said t9 be bad... So, no need to feed this discussion.

I don't think we need a pcars 3 game as a sequel to pcars 2. How could it be possible to improve the game that much for people who already enjoy pcars 2 (obviously the haters wouldn't buy another similar iteration)? More content? Pcars 3 has enough. More cars? Pcars 2 has enough. Better physics? Those who enjoy pcars2 don't need them and those who hate it don't care about it. Better graphics? Apart the pronounced aliasing, what can be heavily improved? It is still amazing in VR. Better AI and puddles? No one is going tonpay a full price game for fixes that pcars 2 should have received.

So the only way to make something successful with this franchise is going an full different way. I just hope this new game will have a full sim driving mode. If not, I'll wait for a project cars 4 or 5 sim with major improvements from pcars 2.

I think anyone expecting PC3 will be less arcade than PC2 will be disappointed. it seems SMS has finally made their mind with PC franchise: going Forza / GT path, judging by the previews. It is a good thing though, as now it will be easier for consumers to decide whether to buy it or not.

That trailer is laughably bad, all slick **** and noise......

Personally, The experience of owning PC1 was enough to make me hold off on PC2, and the general disdain for that title warranted that stance.

Now with PC3, I am clearly not the target market in any way shape or form, I hope it does well for them, But from the look of that trailer we are dealing with a marketing department first and foremost.

So that's F1 and PC cars ruined, I have zero hope for the WRC series once it gets into the hands of codemasters.

Last edited:

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Watch party

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • At a friends house