PC3 Project CARS 3 to Change Focus?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 3.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios Head Ian Bell recently revealed PCARS 3 is in development, and now hints have been dropped that the direction of the title might change for the next release.

The Project CARS series of games have, up until this point, been heavily focussed on a wide selection or road and race cars from a wide variety of different disciplines of motorsport - giving players the opportunity to drive such varied machines as top tier open wheel cars, to stockcar, touring cars, GTs, historic and road going performance machines.

Although the scope of the previous two versions of the game are indeed admirable, some could argue that potentially Slightly Mad Studios looked to become a jack of all trades with their game content, and as a result became the master of none.

This appears to have been noted by the decision makers back at SMS, as Ian Bell once again took to the internet to drop a few hints about the next release - suggesting that maybe Slightly Mad Studios would look to return to their roots somewhat, and produce an experience more akin to the earlier Need for Speed Shift release of 2009.

“I’ll let you know that pCARS3 will be more ‘focused’… More ‘fun’…" said Bell over on the GT Plant forums. "We went to insane lengths with variation in pCARS2 and with that comes infinite balancing issues. We’ve learned a lesson here and although we have no intention of reducing content, we know what we need to fix, where we made design decisions that were, let’s call it, ‘sub-optimal’…

“pCARS3 will be more of a spiritual successor to Shift, but with all of the sim goodness everyone appreciates… The key focus though is on fun and not biting off more than we can properly chew and digest.”
Ian Bell does refer to the desire to retain the "sim goodness" of PCARS 1 & 2, however the shift (ha ha) towards an experience more closely aligned to the Need for Speed series does suggest that the new title could take itself a little less seriously than has been the case in the past, and leads one to wonder if a more arcade slant is to be applied to the title than has been the case in the past.

With PCARS 1 & 2 failing to match the quality of other sim racing titles the likes of rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom and AMS, and with new games from Reiza Studios and the Early Access Assetto Corsa Competizione from Kunos in the works, a move towards a more fun and light hearted experience is probably not a bad idea for PCARS and the new title - quite how the end result will pan out remains to be seen.

One thing is for sure, however SMS pitch the new title, it will be very interesting to hear and read what is said on the build up to release of what is surely going to be another very interesting piece of software from the prolific game studio.

Check out the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Lets imagine the scene in the SMS boardroom.

SMS Sales Director: Guys, steam sales figures up to June 2018 have been accidentally leaked. Lets look at the numbers for the "big" PC sim racing games.

Reiza have sold 49,000 copies of Automobilista (including those given to Game Stock Car Extreme owners).

In the 78 months rFactor2 has been on sale they've sold 75,000 copies. This is an underestimate as I'm sure some people did not transfer their non-steam copies to steam. For the sake of argument lets double it to 150,000.

In 57 months Assetto Corsa has sold 826,000 copies.

In the 34 months since the launch of PCARS1 we have sold 1.339,000 copies of PCARS1 & 2 on PC.

Ian Bell: We just can't compete with these "big" sim racing games. They are wiping the floor with us! What were we thinking? We have to get out of the sim market!

SMS Sales Director: It gets worse boss. Kunos are going to launch a new sim with day/night transitions, dynamic track, dynamic weather, lateral tyre flex, brake heating and cooling and brake heat affecting the tyres!

Ian Bell: You are right. We just can't compete even though we've had these features for years. and with ACCs 20 cars and 11 tracks there is just no room in the market for our sim with its 180 cars and 60 tracks. Lets get out of Dodge - the sim market is too competitive.

SMS Sales Director: But the biggest worry of all is that Reiza are bringing out a new game. I don't know if it will be the Ayrton Senna game or Reiza 17 or what engine it will use but I do know that given their previous titles have sold about !% of ours, we should be quaking in our boots.

Ian Bell: If I had any doubts about changing direction and competing directly with Turn10 and Polyphony, this news seals the deal.

SMS had a lot of money invested into making their crap game. Reiza didn't have much of anything except for the backer's that believed ( and still believe in them ). You give the Reiza team a nice engine , like SMS has , and the Reiza team would blow them out of the water , in any way , shape or form.

To the PC1 / PC2 supporter's.....I have tried for the better part of a year to find a descent FFB setup for my Fanatec Clubsport / HPP setup......and I still haven't found one. The " Fixes " I have found , ( and I've tried a lot! ) Was like smearing lipstick on a pig. I sincerely meant it earlier when I said the physic's and FFB in GTR2 and Race 07 were better. on MY setup.....there is no comparison.

I'm still waiting for someone with a Fanatec setup , to show me a descent FFB file I can use. I've tried probably 20 of the most popular ones out there......and they still feel like sh!t. And even if I could get myself to live with the horrendous FFB.....well now we have the crap physic's! I challenge anyone with a fanatec setup , to try and tell me that PC1 / PC2 feels " good " in comparison to ANY of the other top sims out there! Go on.....I'll wait.

The atmosphere , visual's , car detail ect.......top notch! But if everything drives like it was created for a game pad....what is the point!!? Rant over!

I think SMS is the perfect dev to make road cars with multiple electronic nannies (tc, sc, etc), because that's how nearly all their cars drive anyway.

They made the world's only Porsche 917K that can't break traction in 1st gear and is totally incapable of oversteer under any condition (including a wet road). Every single car in PC2 (including the Lotus 49 and GTP-ZX, for God's sake) felt like it had traction control, so why not just do modern road cars with all the driver aids enabled?

Since SMS has really nailed that feeling of driving around in your dad's Volvo at about 60mph, I feel PC3 is going to be the perfect "driving my sedan to pick up groceries" simulator! Can't wait!

Nicki has a lot of fun with sim-racing and is a crazy cool guy. The fact is he is a highly sought after driver and is very fast in real life. As I'm an iRacing member I can see when he is on. He currently holds an A license with around a 4,000 irating has over 870 race starts and 232 wins. So it's fair to say he's a great judge of what is real and what isn't. But everyone is certainly open to their own interpretation/opinion.
That's exactly my point. A more than competent sim driver testing and judging pcars2 by playing it the way you play wreckfest and stating it is bad because people you're racing with on the lobby are more competent because they refined their setup before entering the lobby. Being a professional and competent driver doesn't make you a professional and competent reviewer. I admit he has made other more interesting videos but I've watched much better reviews from young youtubers racing irl as professional rookies. And his unconditionnal love for iracing makes all his content unreliable. Even the die hard fans admit iracing flaws.

Someone as competent and popular has the duty to be professional when giving his opinion on a title. It's called responsability. At the end of the day there are some people jobs at stake...

I don't know how to feel about this to be honest. I didn't particularly enjoy Shift 2 nor do I want Project CARS to to leave its "Sim" foundation.
This feels like they read the feedback and thought "the problem here is with the simulation aspect" rather than "how can we improve the foundation that we already have".
Despite its flaws (playing with the controller still feels quite bad and the AI is a mess), I still have lots of fun with PCARS 2 and it's unrivaled in the amount of diverse content without the need of modding.
They don't need to change their entire formula. Just listen, improve and redesign some aspects of it while keeping all the good content.
On a side note I'm actually looking forward to see what they can do with the mobile version.
Just my 2 cents.

In this day and age, fair play to them for earning an income or a living from this. The criticism may be steered in the wrong perspective. With all of the money going their way, I wonder how many and how much those streamers donate to modders. Often times they are already provided with 1st-party DLC for free, it would be good to see them support the community that carries them.
Why should they give anything to modders or developers??? They are promoting their work and giving them exposure. You are inverting the roles.

I'm absolutely not in the patreon thing but a system where you are entertained and are free to pay or not and, if you want to pay, to give what you want, is quiet nice. What we see is people receiving money to play games and jealousy comes into account. They do not play games, they entertain people by or while playing games, it's absolutely different.

If some of the viewers think they have sufficient fun to give something, what's the problem? If some are entertained by stupid content and waste money, this is their taste, not yours. If you think it's a problem, just educate your children not to be entertained by stupidity.

As a reminder, using the example given a few posts before, 20$ are more or less 2 drinks in a bar. You drink 2 drinks in a bar in half an hour vs you are entertained 20 minutes by a funny youtuber. Which option makes more sense?

A stand alone console for one game, that is kinda crazy. Most of us already have a high end PC for Sim Racing, VR, and I have a 4k monitor. I also wonder(if they are also doing a PC version of PC3) if it will be a closed or open venue for modding the PC3 game. Only time will tell I guess as they report more on the new Title. PC2 is alright for me, I just wish there were more tracks to race on. Guess I am spoiled with all that is available for Asetto Corsa and Rfactor 2.
Also I hope it is not going to be just for GT type cars. We have enough of those already or in the the works.

Last edited:
on the topic of no sim being real - why are even today F1 teams using simulators whos graphics and physics are if anything not better than Assetto Corsa.

Because professional sims are mainly used for developing cars, and as you said, learning new tracks. F1 teams these days often employ specific sim drivers, whose purpose is to test the impact of new parts or setups in the simulator. It's a bit difficult to see why an F1 team should invest in adding HDR, post-processing or other "cool" graphical effects to the sim, as they make no difference to the process.

I heard there are some people working on an entire new faster way of donating small amounts that will bypass some of the current players like Patreon & Google.So you just have a button on your website or podcast channel.Could be good if you have 10,000 followers on a podcast.If 5000 donated a $1 or £1 it becomes lucrative.Would also be great for sites like RD & their live streams.
Yes, you're probably thinking of cryptocurrency or perhaps the Brave browser which has built-in crypto to tip any website you happen to be on.

Crypto is coming and will make a lot of this stuff very plausible.

One-click to pay a couple cents per video/article/download? Sure, I'd be up for that.

i dont understand why someone cant take a good sim with established good driving dynamics and feel (like ac) and build an ACTUAL GAME around it. something like driving games used to be, you start with a bit of cash, you buy a cheap car, you enter races to win money to upgrade/modify/tune the car so you can win more races and buy more cars and so on. sega gt2002 was a good example of that. even forza USED to do it well. i guess what im saying is i want a racing GAME that drives like a proper sim so i can actually enjoy the DRIVING as well as the career progression. if thats what theyre trying to do then bravo, but the problem is they'll probably dumb down the physics like forza did with horizon. and pcars already had poor physics to begin with.

SMS had a lot of money invested into making their crap game. Reiza didn't have much of anything except for the backer's that believed ( and still believe in them ). You give the Reiza team a nice engine , like SMS has , and the Reiza team would blow them out of the water , in any way , shape or form.

I enjoy Reiza's titles.....BUT....they have yet to produce there own engine so hard to compare the two.

At any time SMS could have piggybacked off another engine with a solid base all ready in place add some fancy graphics and throw money towards somes shiney licenses.

But instead they have taken the chance of creating there own physics/ graphics engine and live track 3.0....yes I am aware buried deep inside there is somes isi code, but very little from what we're told.
Personally I respect that....no matter how good or bad I think the game is.

• Deleted member 197115

Now his earlier claim on 120 FPS VR makes total sense
Bell’s Twitter account, which was created earlier this morning, initially tweeted "The Mad Box is coming." In responses to comments on his posts, Bell said 60FPS for VR is “per eye” and repeatedly clarified that he means it will run at a net 120FPS.

Or not, guess someone is confused, like really confused. :)

BTW, VR at 60 FPS is a horrible experience.

• Deleted member 503495

Why should they give anything to modders or developers??? They are promoting their work and giving them exposure. You are inverting the roles.

So them rising to prominence in viewership by running a variety of mods and leagues, often using free content, or even praising said free content as being some of their favorites, is reversing the roles? Much like the games which they have to purchase, which provided them with the platform, and that is your perspective?

In this day and age with technological advances and hours needed for content to be realized, people pushing out quality material which often times parallels or surpasses first-party material, should only be grateful for someone else playing it while said player is receiving thousands in donations, and modders maybe have 1-3 people donating for every 10,000-15,000 individual downloads? Will you be grateful and hope someone else is also grateful and can send over $1 or $5 or $50? Will you acquire books or procure documentation or engineering information, or learn a skill, or develop part of a content to support a modder or modding group? Not everyone is SimBin who had a keen eye back in the day to assemble a group of people to pursue professional endeavors.

Modding is born from passion and words of gratitude are certainly welcome. But to forego the notion of giving back some to the community which can contribute so much to the joy and entertainment of dozens of thousands, is short-sighted and selfish. Have you ever used Wikipedia or other online libraries (archive.org, etc) for your entertainment or research? Have you ever donated a single pound/euro/dollar? What about "buy x to support such and such developer" but not spare the same thought to others in not the same professional scenario? This is not meant to say it should be mandatory. No. But you could say it is in their interest to maintain development around the niche market which they built their revenue stream. If you have $1,000 in the bank from just playing games, why not spare $10-20 for VRC, Lilski, Patrik Sander, RSR Formula, Brun, A3DR, Apex Modding, Sergio Loro, etc? Think of powerhouse modders we have lost, such as Virtua LM, CTDP, or emac? Or guys soldiering on in games such as Grand Prix Legends or Grand Prix 4?

You have your perspective twisted.

Apologies for the off-topic commentary here, this was the last post :thumbsup:.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 53 9.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 6.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.3%