PC3 Project CARS 3 to Change Focus?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 3.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios Head Ian Bell recently revealed PCARS 3 is in development, and now hints have been dropped that the direction of the title might change for the next release.

The Project CARS series of games have, up until this point, been heavily focussed on a wide selection or road and race cars from a wide variety of different disciplines of motorsport - giving players the opportunity to drive such varied machines as top tier open wheel cars, to stockcar, touring cars, GTs, historic and road going performance machines.

Although the scope of the previous two versions of the game are indeed admirable, some could argue that potentially Slightly Mad Studios looked to become a jack of all trades with their game content, and as a result became the master of none.

This appears to have been noted by the decision makers back at SMS, as Ian Bell once again took to the internet to drop a few hints about the next release - suggesting that maybe Slightly Mad Studios would look to return to their roots somewhat, and produce an experience more akin to the earlier Need for Speed Shift release of 2009.

“I’ll let you know that pCARS3 will be more ‘focused’… More ‘fun’…" said Bell over on the GT Plant forums. "We went to insane lengths with variation in pCARS2 and with that comes infinite balancing issues. We’ve learned a lesson here and although we have no intention of reducing content, we know what we need to fix, where we made design decisions that were, let’s call it, ‘sub-optimal’…

“pCARS3 will be more of a spiritual successor to Shift, but with all of the sim goodness everyone appreciates… The key focus though is on fun and not biting off more than we can properly chew and digest.”
Ian Bell does refer to the desire to retain the "sim goodness" of PCARS 1 & 2, however the shift (ha ha) towards an experience more closely aligned to the Need for Speed series does suggest that the new title could take itself a little less seriously than has been the case in the past, and leads one to wonder if a more arcade slant is to be applied to the title than has been the case in the past.

With PCARS 1 & 2 failing to match the quality of other sim racing titles the likes of rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom and AMS, and with new games from Reiza Studios and the Early Access Assetto Corsa Competizione from Kunos in the works, a move towards a more fun and light hearted experience is probably not a bad idea for PCARS and the new title - quite how the end result will pan out remains to be seen.

One thing is for sure, however SMS pitch the new title, it will be very interesting to hear and read what is said on the build up to release of what is surely going to be another very interesting piece of software from the prolific game studio.

Check out the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
At last, you have woken up...x
This will be huge, or a huge flop..
Wonder which it will be...
Sony and Microsoft must be sweating..
Now it makes sense that the focus for new games, from SMS, will be more ‘fun’.
Remember the ‘Hollywood blockbuster game’ Mr Bell mentioned that they are developing, would make a good launch title.
He is going to need a hell of a lot of backing to take on Sony and Microsoft...

Well he found every sim unrealistic :)

And mainly because no sim was giving him the grip a real racing car gave him...... closest i think he found was AC....
Only racing drivers actually know that racing cars grip.....which is mental really as rubber is grippy....that is why i guess they used it for tyres eventually....?
And that is before you add aero and traction control etc etc...... oh and non TC racing cars? Well that LSD is basically traction control....i say basically, i mean it is traction control...

No, you're misstating things aren't you? He has always said iRacing is the most realistic. In fact when asked about PCars he said; "PCars, c'mon man, what is that sh*t? So, state it correctly and you'll be alright.

Don't tell Ian that he'll be contacting AMG and getting Nikki in trouble like that German racer.......

No, you're misstating things aren't you? He has always said iRacing is the most realistic. In fact when asked about PCars he said; "PCars, c'mon man, what is that sh*t? So, state it correctly and you'll be alright.
You're right. Unfortunately, a rude guy drinking while racing online and acting like the worst online drivers, who can't set his wheel and who only uses default setups when making a pcars2 streaming is not exactly the most reliable person in terms of review. It's a shame to have a real life driver not being trustable for simracing titles. Maybe he did only one video like this and this is one of the few I've tried to watch, but that's how he raced on pcars2.

Other profesional drivers said iracing was bad. Each person has his own way to get a simulated feeling, so some are more confident with one title, others with another title. Raceroom developers explained here in racedepartment how much it is important to find professional racers who also know simulators and are used to them to be able to get a useable feedback from them.

You're right. Unfortunately, a rude guy drinking while racing online and acting like the worst online drivers, who can't set his wheel and who only uses default setups when making a pcars2 streaming is not exactly the most reliable person in terms of review. It's a shame to have a real life driver not being trustable for simracing titles. Maybe he did only one video like this and this is one of the few I've tried to watch, but that's how he raced on pcars2.

Other profesional drivers said iracing was bad. Each person has his own way to get a simulated feeling, so some are more confident with one title, others with another title. Raceroom developers explained here in racedepartment how much it is important to find professional racers who also know simulators and are used to them to be able to get a useable feedback from them.
Nicki has a lot of fun with sim-racing and is a crazy cool guy. The fact is he is a highly sought after driver and is very fast in real life. As I'm an iRacing member I can see when he is on. He currently holds an A license with around a 4,000 irating has over 870 race starts and 232 wins. So it's fair to say he's a great judge of what is real and what isn't. But everyone is certainly open to their own interpretation/opinion.

Did you see the one where he broke down in tears because of all the money people were sending him?
I like Jimmy btw just the situation is pretty crazy.
I really like Jimmy but I'm a 90s kid and the whole Patreon thing turns me off. It seems donating in this way has become accepted by millenials and possibly others with too much money on their hands these past few years.

Not to say I would never donate in this kind of a way, but boy oh boy the bar is going to have to be a lot higher than the videos I watch on youtube (read: the service provided probably has to have a real-world, charitable impact for me to donate).

Donating $10/$20 a shot for a video? That's like coffee for a week or two! lol

Because they dont want to do something good. They started at Shift and this was new way. But when I see hanging mess in pCARS1 from SMS Madness engine, I want to ask the developers: guys, what are you doing all this time? Since Shift2 I saught this hanging mess in the air, and I still see it in pCARS. :O_o:
Imagine Milestone...
I don't like their games since SBK franchise back in the day.
But I don't wish them to close. I wish they could finally create the game I really like. It doesn't matter how many games will fail, as long as they nail one really good game, and from that game...they can learn something to outbest themselves.

The problem is only theirs, since no one will buy a bad game, as we will live with other games we like.

I really like Jimmy but I'm a 90s kid and the whole Patreon thing turns me off. It seems donating in this way has become accepted by millenials and possibly others with too much money on their hands these past few years.

Not to say I would never donate in this kind of a way, but boy oh boy the bar is going to have to be a lot higher than the videos I watch on youtube (read: the service provided probably has to have a real-world, charitable impact for me to donate).

Donating $10/$20 a shot for a video? That's like coffee for a week or two! lol

I am in my 40s so the Patreon thing does seem a bit weird at first.I have not donated on Patreon but think I will in the future on Patreon or similar platforms because it is just a way of paying for content.There might be people donating large amounts way to often but if it is £20 a month it is not much different to a cable or sattelite subscription.I heard there are some people working on an entire new faster way of donating small amounts that will bypass some of the current players like Patreon & Google.So you just have a button on your website or podcast channel.Could be good if you have 10,000 followers on a podcast.If 5000 donated a $1 or £1 it becomes lucrative.Would also be great for sites like RD & their live streams.

• Deleted member 503495

I came across a stream by Jimmy the other day and people where donating him 30, 50,10,10 etc pounds, that was in 5 mins of me watching it...

What in Gods name are these people doing sat watching a person play a game for 4 hours let alone giving him money??
Its utter madness.... we may moan about games like PCars 2 but at least for £30 you get something..... £30 to watch Jimmy turn his FFB up to 100% and drive a pixelated car around a track?! Huh what?

I find myself praying for Pretend Race Cars to come back.......please Austin we need you...

In this day and age, fair play to them for earning an income or a living from this. The criticism may be steered in the wrong perspective. With all of the money going their way, I wonder how many and how much those streamers donate to modders. Often times they are already provided with 1st-party DLC for free, it would be good to see them support the community that carries them.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 53 9.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 33 5.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.3%