Question: Is Formula One Boring?

Without Mercedes, Ferrari and RBR the rest of the field actually do race, well, mostly!
Want to watch real cut and thrust racing by genuine professionals who appreciate their fan base, enjoy camaraderie among their peers and actually have individual personalities?
MotoGP has all this and more......:O_o:

Listening to these interviews from 2002 is so refreshing compared to the blandness of today's drivers interviews:

I especially liked Michael's answer to the "Crowd was so emotional: how do you explain it?" question.

Funnily enough, I was debating whether to give it a rest (for the eighth time this season) after yet another borefest at the last GP.
I've been watching since 1985, I've been threatening to stop watching about it since 1998. I know it's not going to get any better, but a little tiny bit of me still lives in hope. I'm just hoping one day we lose all terrestrial coverage, I just haven't got the strength to quit on my own.

F1 is boring, and has always been, for most of its lifetime. Pick any random race from 30-40 years ago and try sitting through it - you may be entertained enough, but I dare say you wont find it was an adrenaline hit...

You have a series where each team builds its own cars; the best ones will tend to hire the best drivers, and then you run qualifying to pretty much ensure the faster ones start in front. Not exactly a great formula for action and again, its never been. There even used to be 2 qualifying sessions to smooth out the occasional anomality...

But its that very nature of the sport which makes the occasional race action-packed race, or the even rarer action-packed season so memorable - you know its a product of actual, pure competition from elite people, from drivers to the engineers.

Which is not to say the current situation isnt worrying, and worse than ever before. Reasons are IMO threefold:

1- Mercedes domination is unprecedented in terms of sheer length of years it is being going for; there has often been similar periods of domination before by a top team who would get an unique grasp on whatever the current rules were - that’s actually the rule rather than exception in F1, but these would usually be broken by a timely rule change just around the time it reached saturation. That timely rule change is taking too long already;

2- unlike boring races from 20-30 years ago, the current cars and tracks themselves generally make for an insipid combination, and seeing / hearing them in action by itself is not enough to generate excitement;

3- the general public has less tolerance for boredom; “slow burner” entertainment that demand more from the public before the eventual reward are not as competitive as anything that provides a quick fix, specially for younger generations. As a result the core audience is ever older, and even that core is growing tired of the sport as it is.

Short term, the solution is a rule change to shake up the grid and hopefully provide cars to fight more closely. Even if that doesnt happen, F1 has a tendency to self correct and pull off a stormer race or even stormer season on its own following any extremely boring one, which has for decades allowed the health of the sport to deteriorate without significant measures being taken. Dont be surprised if Austria produces a cracker, leading management, participants and fans alike into a false sense of security... and this conversation dies off. Until it comes around again, with the sport just a bit shorter of breath. If it keeps going like this it will eventually die off, unless Ross Brawn manages to break the cycle somehow in the next rule set...

Loaded topic for sure. I attended the first US GP at Indy in 2000, that's what made me a racing fan and I've not missed a Formula 1 race since then. For many many years it was my religion, I read about it, watched videos about it, and never missed a practice/qualifying session or race. I really never thought I'd say this, but I've almost entirely fallen out of love with it. The cars are broken, they may break lap records at most tracks but they're too expensive, too fragile, and useless at racing. They made changes this year to make them better at "racing", and they're even worse than before! The regulations are so out of whack that the big teams are driving the little teams into the ground by spending a half a billion dollars a year and the stewards seem to penalize any attempt the drivers make at actual racing.

Do I still watch practice and qualifying and the race? Yeah, but I hardly pay attention and I rarely read F1 news anymore. If I was a new viewer would the current product hook me the way the circa 2000 product hooked me? Oh god no, I'd abandon it after a couple races. Oddly, in IndyCar Alexander Rossi put on a clinic at Road America last weekend and beat the field by a margin not seen in IndyCar in two decades, yet if I was a new viewer tuning into that race I would probably be hooked for life because it was mega entertaining. When it happens in IndyCar it's a rare feat which makes it impressive, in F1 it's a given.

After Senna decline was evident, Schumacher won so many championships because he had no opponent of the same level and things are worse each season. Today, even Hamilton has won so many titles, one can not say that he is at the same level of Mansel, Prost or Piquet. The quality and talent fell alarmingly.

So you're saying that era was exciting because you found one clip with hard racing on wet weather? Come on, man, 2008 was just as boring as today.

F1 is boring, and has always been, for most of its lifetime. Pick any random race from 30-40 years ago and try sitting through it - you may be entertained enough, but I dare say you wont find it was an adrenaline hit...

You have a series where each team builds its own cars; the best ones will tend to hire the best drivers, and then you run qualifying to pretty much ensure the faster ones start in front. Not exactly a great formula for action and again, its never been. There even used to be 2 qualifying sessions to smooth out the occasional anomality...

But its that very nature of the sport which makes the occasional race action-packed race, or the even rarer action-packed season so memorable - you know its a product of actual, pure competition from elite people, from drivers to the engineers.

Which is not to say the current situation isnt worrying, and worse than ever before. Reasons are IMO threefold:

1- Mercedes domination is unprecedented in terms of sheer length of years it is being going for; there has often been similar periods of domination before by a top team who would get an unique grasp on whatever the current rules were - that’s actually the rule rather than exception in F1, but these would usually be broken by a timely rule change just around the time it reached saturation. That timely rule change is taking too long already;

2- unlike boring races from 20-30 years ago, the current cars and tracks themselves generally make for an insipid combination, and seeing / hearing them in action by itself is not enough to generate excitement;

3- the general public has less tolerance for boredom; “slow burner” entertainment that demand more from the public before the eventual reward are not as competitive as anything that provides a quick fix, specially for younger generations. As a result the core audience is ever older, and even that core is growing tired of the sport as it is.

Short term, the solution is a rule change to shake up the grid and hopefully provide cars to fight more closely. Even if that doesnt happen, F1 has a tendency to self correct and pull off a stormer race or even stormer season on its own following any extremely boring one, which has for decades allowed the health of the sport to deteriorate without significant measures being taken. Dont be surprised if Austria produces a cracker, leading management, participants and fans alike into a false sense of security... and this conversation dies off. Until it comes around again, with the sport just a bit shorter of breath. If it keeps going like this it will eventually die off, unless Ross Brawn manages to break the cycle somehow in the next rule set...
Perfect!
Like I said, Formula One has always been pretty much as boring as it is today. it's easy to say "oh 1984 was so exciting" if you take a clip from Senna overtaking everyone with a Toleman under rain at Monaco, but I dare anyone to watch every race from that season and say there wasn't at least one borefest like last sunday.
And like you said, today everyone is used to be entertained all the time, we spend all the time on the internet, on youtube, on social media, on our phones, playing video games, and so on. We don't tolerate a sport where 1 out of 5 races is exciting, we want every second of every race to be entertaining, because we're used to being entertained all the time. F1 is not gonna provide that and people are naive if they expect this.
What you said about each team building their car, hiring their drives and qualifying is perfect. Chain Bear recently made a video about how Formula One is filled with positive feedback loops and it sums up why the ones that start in front finish in front and we don't see many fights for position. The more you win, the more likely you are to keep winning, and that's a terrible formula if you want something to be unpredictable.

And then there's the fact that everyone loves to have a knee jerk reaction. Remember (I think last year) when there was no overtaking in Australia? Then because of that they increased the lenght of the DRS zone at Bahrain and everyone complained that it was too easy to overtake.
The same goes for excitement. If there's one eventful race everyone can't wait to watch the next one. If there's a snooze fest like last Sunday, everyone is just like "oh F1 is so boring I'm gonna stop watching it". Make up your minds, people!

In my opinion the thing people miss is that it is impossible to have a sport that is exciting all the time. If there's not a boring race, the exciting races won't be exciting anymore. And also, nobody is forced to watch it. If you like it, watch it, if you don't like it, don't watch it. I can't understand why people watch it, find it boring, complain all over the internet, and then go back to watch it next time.

Last edited:
After Senna decline was evident, Schumacher won so many championships because he had no opponent of the same level and things are worse each season. Today, even Hamilton has won so many titles, one can not say that he is at the same level of Mansel, Prost or Piquet. The quality and talent fell alarmingly.
What the hell? I can maybe understand you comparing him to Prost or Piquet, but Mansell? Really? Mansell was used to losing with the best car, he could dominate half a race and then crash on his own. The only way he was able to win a WDC was when nobody could compete against Williams.

Today with some of the best drivers in the world in Formula One, Hamilton has shown time and time again that he's a level above the rest, even Vettel who is considered a great driver is used to cracking under pressure when he fights against Hamilton.
I know the cars of today are probably a lot more comfortable to drive than 30 years ago, but saying Hamilton is below any driver of that time, especially Mansell, just makes no sense at all. In fact comparing any two drivers from different eras makes no sense at all.

Been a fan since 2001. There have been boring years and great years, it's not new.

Last years we see great races and good seasons overall, but what I find most irritating is talent drivers like Alonso in really bad cars, total waste.

Imagine the latest 5 years with Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Verstappen, Ricciardo...all with cars capable of winning and similar car's performance, alternating poles and victories...It would have been amazing.

Championships without oposition do not seem equally important to me, honestly, and i feel winning drivers feels the same, somehow.

@Renato Simioni

daumen3.jpg

I think F1 is boring because of not only absence of overtakes, but the sound and setup restrictions as well. Unrestrict the cars!

I agree : that's multifactorial. The tracks, the setups, the sound, the rules, the pilots, the teams are now unintelligible for the common spectator.
The videogame Motorsport Manager is very realistic from this point of view ^^
The BoP and EoT in Endurance aren't perfect but it permits to have real challenge (else you have just one official manufacturer).

And that happens how often? Sorry but that wont drag me in again. Formula 1 is lost - and boring.

Happens all the time, look at Charles, look at Max, look at Albon. All super incredible talents and astonishing first seasons at a super young age. Hell if Williams can get their **** together I wouldn't be surprised to see Russell crushing it.

You comparing NASCAR and F1, really ? How many times NASCAR driver change gear in, say, one minute ? And how many do F1 driver ? :)
Well of course NASCAR drivers change gears one time minimum, unless you don't count the road course races such as in Watkins Glen or Sonoma/Infineon Raceway for example.

Yeah, there were allways great drivers and better cars than others, but do you know why historic F1 was more magic and emotional than today? Because drivers were DRIVING them properly and to reach that level you need to be an adult, not a kid without driving license, you'll die during a championship! They were charismatic and crazy! One missed shift and they could DIE! You were watching 25 crazy guys driving beast machines on the limit and you never knew if at any moment your favourite driver could crash heavily, have a failure or die! The surprise factor was allways present. They finished the race almost dead due to the hard effort driving these beasts, their fingers were full of tape to avoid contact with some wounds, etçª. Tracks were fast and dangerous and not too much safety! You really need to have big balls to drive those cars in the limit back in the days! Only that was worthy to watch!

Now you just watch the start and know exactly how it's gonna end... i agree safety should be implemented overtime but i've never thought it will reach a level were the competition factor is killed in every move...

* Sorry for the rushed post and bad english eventually...

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 6.7%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.3%