AMS2 Rookies | Formula Ford @ Cascavel - Friday 25 March 2022

Automobilista 2 Racing Club event
Here's a little pro-tip for all of you four-wheeled friends!

AMS2 has a lovely feature called "Time Trial". It allows you to select someone that has driven a fast(or fastest) lap per track, per car/class, and any tuned setups or not. Now there's something another cool feature where you can load those setups and save them for your own use! Here's how it all works:

First go to the Time Trial feature in the Main Menu:

R2Guhfr.jpg

In the Time Trial section fist select the Circuit "Cascavel" and then the Vehicle "Formula Advanced Trainer". Now you will be presented with the following screen

MsicIjT.jpg

In the bottom left you can add Ghosts, I've added the current fastest car and competitor for tonight, Tim Simons and the one and only Damian Reed of RaceDepartment fame ;)

Once you click on start everything will load and you can select a setup

FJ9fULy.jpg

5hYaUED.jpg

As you can see, Tim has a custom setup(click on the blue wrench to load it in the normal setup display and save it locally) and Damian has driven with the default setup.

2lTemDB.jpg

Once you start racing you can see all the important information on the left side of the screen, with the usual information plus both Tim and Damian's sector times and the World Record.

M0f1ujl.jpg

As a final tip, let me show you how you can change the timing info that is by default shown just below the virtual mirror. For me it always used to show Previous Lap delta times, but that's not always what you want. it took me a while to figure out but you can just press the D-pad Right button to change it between Fastest Lap, Previous Lap and Potential Lap, all very useful to figure out what sector can be improved the most or what corner exit you are loosing time on.

It can also be found in Controls - Edit Assignments - Game - SPLIT TIMES bind.

9z9gOyg.jpg

Tl0BemM.jpg

One more thing, you can also spectate fast lap times! Though you will get no sound, nor will you see pedal movement or engine RPM so it is limited in functionality.

V1SgcYU.jpg
Amazing! Best go and have another go with a setup and see if I can get that number 1 spot!

Here's a little pro-tip for all of you four-wheeled friends!

AMS2 has a lovely feature called "Time Trial". It allows you to select someone that has driven a fast(or fastest) lap per track, per car/class, and any tuned setups or not. Now there's something another cool feature where you can load those setups and save them for your own use! Here's how it all works:

First go to the Time Trial feature in the Main Menu:

R2Guhfr.jpg

In the Time Trial section fist select the Circuit "Cascavel" and then the Vehicle "Formula Advanced Trainer". Now you will be presented with the following screen

MsicIjT.jpg

In the bottom left you can add Ghosts, I've added the current fastest car and competitor for tonight, Tim Simons and the one and only Damian Reed of RaceDepartment fame ;)

Once you click on start everything will load and you can select a setup

FJ9fULy.jpg

5hYaUED.jpg

As you can see, Tim has a custom setup(click on the blue wrench to load it in the normal setup display and save it locally) and Damian has driven with the default setup.

2lTemDB.jpg

Once you start racing you can see all the important information on the left side of the screen, with the usual information plus both Tim and Damian's sector times and the World Record.

M0f1ujl.jpg

As a final tip, let me show you how you can change the timing info that is by default shown just below the virtual mirror. For me it always used to show Previous Lap delta times, but that's not always what you want. it took me a while to figure out but you can just press the D-pad Right button to change it between Fastest Lap, Previous Lap and Potential Lap, all very useful to figure out what sector can be improved the most or what corner exit you are loosing time on.

It can also be found in Controls - Edit Assignments - Game - SPLIT TIMES bind.

9z9gOyg.jpg

Tl0BemM.jpg

One more thing, you can also spectate fast lap times! Though you will get no sound, nor will you see pedal movement or engine RPM so it is limited in functionality.

V1SgcYU.jpg
Good tip, it never really even occurred to me to look up the available times, but it makes sense.

One thing I did see is that the potential time display can get a little...optimistic. Haven't quite figured out what triggers it, but on some laps my potential time suddenly becomes a 1:02.xxx, which is the very definition of inaccurate :).

A quick question for us rookies ‘how we we get to the race’ please… I tried to take part in the TCS championship (on ac) and struggled to find how to actually get to the server/ race

(maybe a real dumb question but there you go we all have to start somewhere :) )

Do we look for the server in Ams2?

Last edited:
A quick question for us rookies ‘how we we get to the race’ please… I tried to take part in the TCS championship (on ac) and struggled to find how to actually get to the server/ race

(maybe a real dumb question but there you go we all have to start somewhere :) )

Do we look for the server in Ams2?
If you jump in to voicechat i’ll talk you through it. I’ll be on in about 5 minutes

And yet... 

@Stuart Thomson I think the Potential Lap times is based on adding up all of your quickest sectors. Sometimes it bugs out a little on a single sector depending on how it is started from what I've noticed. During the Time Trials mode it appears to be pretty accurate.
Oh, I fully understand. That was my point. Me and insanely fast are never, ever in the first sentence.
It was more to point out if people were practising, saw a potential as 1.02 and thought that was the actual laptime they should be doing.:thumbsup:

A quick question for us rookies ‘how we we get to the race’ please…
A server will appear in the AMS2 Multiplayer Server Browser, usually named "Racedepartment.com" with the track and car class that we race with(Tonight Formula Advanced Trainer at Cascavel). You can then click on join, put in the password("brit", or see the first post ;) ) and that's really all there is to it! At that point you can join the practice or if you join a bit later join Qualifications!

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Watch party

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 1 1.5%