Share your VR graphic settings

• Deleted member 197115

70% res+200 pixel density
or
100% resolution (and making sure temporal upsampling is off) + 160 pixel density seems to work best. Up to taste when it comes to these two options, but either one looks very good on the Ody under "Optimize".

Then just play with sharpness and contrast/brightness to taste.
Highlighted option is sharper and would be my recommended choice.
60hz or Reprojection (use Auto as Forced has higher overhead for some reason).
@BlaKArg , do you have any new engine.ini to share?

• Deleted member 197115

I'm still using my original one (the one you said looked different, not sure if that actually the case?) as it's the one that has given me the best results.
This one?

I thought colors and shadows were better on stock engine.ini. But yeah, performance was worse.

This one?

I thought colors and shadows were better on stock engine.ini. But yeah, performance was worse.

Yeah that's the one. You can delete the shadows and color lines if you want. Shadows you can control in game and the others shouldn't affect performance. Like this:

[ConsoleVariables]
r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
r.VolumetricFog=0
r.AOquality=0
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.7
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.SSR.quality=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=2
r.LightShaftDownSampleFactor=4
r.TiledDeferredShading.MinimumCount=10
FX.AllowGPUSorting=0

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
a.URO.ForceAnimRate=2
a.URO.ForceInterpolation=1
r.OptimizeForUAVPerformance=1
r.Streaming.Boost=0
r.Streaming.DefragDynamicBounds=1
r.Streaming.FramesForFullUpdate=1
r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
r.Streaming.HLODStrategy=2
r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=1
r.Streaming.PoolSize=0
r.UseShaderCaching=1
r.UseShaderPredraw=1
r.bForceCPUAccessToGPUSkinVerts=True

Great, then under Experience Options make sure to select "Optimize for performance".

Are you running 90hz reprojected or 60hz?
We've found that keeping SteamSS at 100% and either (in game):
70% res+200 pixel density
or
100% resolution (and making sure temporal upsampling is off) + 160 pixel density seems to work best. Up to taste when it comes to these two options, but either one looks very good on the Ody under "Optimize".

Then just play with sharpness and contrast/brightness to taste.

Optimize for performance in use ,I use 60hz.
SteamSS at 100% and application settings ACC 100%
Edit: 70% res+190 pixel density used by me. the quality is 7+

Last edited:
WAIT, NO. EVERYBODY GO BACK. :D

Andrew, forget about what you read about SteamSS + in game SS and go back to my first settings. I just set SteamSS to 160, Resolution at 65 and Pixel Density 170.

Do that and tell me it doesn't look QUITE a bit better/sharper/HD. :D

EDIT: Also don't modify my first engine.ini like I said in last post, because it affects the clarity of far away objects. I think I had it right the first time.

• Deleted member 197115

Speaking of performance, how do you measure it?
I just had two runs on Zolder in crowd with reprojection disabled, one lap, with custom engine.ini and default generated one.
I can't see conclusive results that one is better performing than another. In fact it's statistically the same considering slight variances between two runs.
No engine.ini
fpsVR Report: App: Assetto Corsa Competizione HMD: Samsung Windows Mixed Reality 800ZBA0 (90.002 Hz, IPD 68.1) GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (27.21.14.5148) CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz Delivered fps: 65.72 Duration: 2.4min. GPU Frametimes: Median: 13.6 ms 99th percentile: 19.6 ms 99.9th percentile: 22.2 ms frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 13.6% CPU frametime: Median: 4.6 ms 99th percentile: 7.5 ms 99.9th percentile: 13.1 ms frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 99.8% Max. SteamVR SS: 100% Render resolution per eye: 1440x1800(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 1440x1800)
Engine.ini
fpsVR Report: App: Assetto Corsa Competizione HMD: Samsung Windows Mixed Reality 800ZBA0 (90.002 Hz, IPD 68.1) GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (27.21.14.5148) CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz Delivered fps: 66.78 Duration: 2.2min. GPU Frametimes: Median: 13.4 ms 99th percentile: 19.5 ms 99.9th percentile: 22.9 ms frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 11.6% CPU frametime: Median: 4.3 ms 99th percentile: 7.1 ms 99.9th percentile: 12.7 ms frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 99.7% Max. SteamVR SS: 100% Render resolution per eye: 1440x1800(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 1440x1800)

• Deleted member 197115

WAIT, NO. EVERYBODY GO BACK. :D

Andrew, forget about what you read about SteamSS + in game SS and go back to my first settings. I just set SteamSS to 160, Resolution at 65 and Pixel Density 170.

Do that and tell me it doesn't look QUITE a bit better/sharper/HD. :D

EDIT: Also don't modify my first engine.ini like I said in last post, because it affects the clarity of far away objects. I think I had it right the first time.
1.7^2 x 1.6 = 462%SS
2^2 x 1 = 400%

Is that why the difference?

I think to have SS 160 and same overall supesampling you need to have PD of 1.58.

• Deleted member 197115

I think to have SS 160 and same overall supesampling you need to have PD of 1.58.
And this does not look better or sharper for sure, more expensive too.
SS 160, PD 160

On custom engine.ini, it does look cleaner even if perform the same as default.

And this does not look better or sharper for sure, more expensive too.
SS 160, PD 160

On custom engine.ini, it does look cleaner even if perform the same as default.

Try this, SteamSS at 160%. This doesn't look better/sharper/cleaner than your previous settings? I even had to lower sharpness to 120.

I'm getting the same performance as before with SteamSS at 100% but way nicer image.

I use FPSvr to check performance but I try to be more practical. I always test settings with an AI race and aim at 60 fps and 97% GPU usage on the grid. If I get that, I know it will hold 60 fps for any online race.

Attachments

• Andrew Test.json
    1,005 bytes · Views: 67
  • Deleted member 197115

Try this, SteamSS at 160%. This doesn't look better/sharper/cleaner than your previous settings? I even had to lower sharpness to 120.

I'm getting the same performance as before with SteamSS at 100% but way nicer image.

I use FPSvr to check performance but I try to be more practical. I always test settings with an AI race and aim at 60 fps and 97% GPU usage on the grid. If I get that, I know it will hold 60 fps for any online race.
I even went as far as keeping PD at 100% and use 400% in SS, it's almost the same quality and performance. Was hoping that using this will let PP in UE work at lower resolution and helping with performance.
What is happening, I believe, that SS in SteamVR is just get multiplied by HMD resolution and given to UE4 engine as new "optimal" HMD resolution.
So all resampling still happens in UE, regardless where you change it.
Could be wrong but this is what my eyes tell me. May be someone knowledgeable on Unreal can chime in with explanation.

I even went as far as keeping PD at 100% and use 400% in SS, it's almost the same quality and performance. Was hoping that using this will let PP in UE work at lower resolution and helping with performance.
What is happening, I believe, that SS in SteamVR is just get multiplied by HMD resolution and given to UE4 engine as new "optimal" HMD resolution.
So all resampling still happens in UE, regardless where you change it.
Could be wrong but this is what my eyes tell me. May be someone knowledgeable on Unreal can chime in with explanation.

I don't know what's going on under the hood, but upping SteamSS and mixing it with PD makes quite a difference. If you use just ACC and then try 160 Steam SS + ACC right after, it's like night and day to me.

Edit: Biggest proof of this to me is that without SteamSS even around 200 sharpness didn't seem enough, and with it I dropped it all the way to 120 and it still looks better (always SteamSS + PD, cause SteamSS seems to have a point where you just don't gain any image quality no matter how high you go).

• Deleted member 197115

Don't know how you see that difference, it's absolutely the same for me, i.e. looks pretty sharp and perfect. But if you see it, that's all that matters. :thumbsup:

And I am using View Distance High instead of Epic, not sure if that affects anything.

What track specifically are you using for testing?

• Deleted member 197115

Just a silly thought, SteamVR effective SS is multiplier of global and per game number. May be you overlooked one of those and as result getting higher SS than you think.
Just tested back and forth again on Spa, nada difference for me.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And I am on the latest SteamVR Beta as well as WMR Beta driver for Steam.

Just a silly thought, SteamVR effective SS is multiplier of global and per game number. May be you overlooked one of those and as result getting higher SS than you think.
Just tested back and forth again on Spa, nada difference for me.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And I am on the latest SteamVR Beta as well as WMR Beta driver for Steam.

Usually Brands Hatch is what I use to test.

If you set SteamSS to auto, does it default to 150 for the Oddysey? Because it does for me, so I don't know if this is because that's closer to the HMD's true resolution or what.

And no I am only at 150 in app specific setting, otherwise my FPS would be diping badly.

• Deleted member 197115

Usually Brands Hatch is what I use to test.

If you set SteamSS to auto, does it default to 150 for the Oddysey? Because it does for me, so I don't know if this is because that's closer to the HMD's true resolution or what.

And no I am only at 150 in app specific setting, otherwise my FPS would be diping badly.
Yes, do not use Auto. Set to override in global and set it to 100%, then control per app, otherwise it can get confusing.
And Auto resolution is just heuristic number based on GPU you have.

Yes, do not use Auto. Set to override in global and set it to 100%, then control per app, otherwise it can get confusing.
And Auto resolution is just heuristic number based on GPU you have.

Oh so it's based on GPU, I see. That's how I have it, yes.

BTW have you seen how good it looks when you use any other cameras but the cockpit? (the one we have to use haha). Anything from outside the car for example looks absolutely amazing.

• Deleted member 197115

The game look amazing, from cockpit and outside. But I tested again and again hybrid vs PD only SS using Brand Hatch and raised View distance to Epic (not like it makes any difference).
I struggle to find any difference, was even stopping at the same spot to observe distant building with helicopter next to it with spinning rotors.
May be I am just not very observant, but if you say it's "night and day difference" hoped I'd notice at least something, not saying it's not there, perhaps my aging eyes just not very good to register it. :)

The game look amazing, from cockpit and outside. But I tested again and again hybrid vs PD only SS using Brand Hatch and raised View distance to Epic (not like it makes any difference).
I struggle to find any difference, was even stopping at the same spot to observe distant building with helicopter next to it with spinning rotors.
May be I am just not very observant, but if you say it's "night and day difference" hoped I'd notice at least something, not saying it's not there, perhaps my aging eyes just not very good to register it. :)

To me there's a big difference, yes. Especially in the distance. Buildings, trees, etc. Looks much better. A few people before noticed the same thing so it must be there.

At Brands for example with SteamSS at 160 the tree line looks so clear I can actually notice some SDE, or individual pixels (because the texture of the trees at that distance is not very complex).

In the pits everything looks sharper, and cars up close look monitor clear. Also the dashboard is the same, it's quite a bit clearer.

Maybe it looks this way already for you without SteamSS, and I hope so! Sounds like it from your comments. I'm just glad we are at this point. :)

• Deleted member 197115

Honestly, no idea what is going on, both settings are equally sharp to me.
Just a test, try to leave PD at 1 and use only SteamVR SS at 400%.
BTW, seems like Bloom on Mid eats some performance on sun lit tracks. Low gives some relieve without affecting much visually.
Tonemapper, I saw you switched to Legacy, is it better for performance, because it's obsolete and Unreal will remove in the next release. ACES (Filmic) supposed to do proper HDR to LDR color mapping.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 49 9.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • Yearly

Votes: 32 6.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 12 2.2%