Share your VR graphic settings

• Deleted member 197115

Good read, even though that it's Pimax related.

All these SteamVR target resolution, pixel density, etc, all factors that get combined and given to the app as recommended target resolution, so whatever scaling takes place happens once at app level.

Somebody please correct me.

Honestly, no idea what is going on, both settings are equally sharp to me.
Just a test, try to leave PD at 1 and use only SteamVR SS at 400%.
BTW, seems like Bloom on Mid eats some performance on sun lit tracks. Low gives some relieve without affecting much visually.
Tonemapper, I saw you switched to Legacy, is it better for performance, because it's obsolete and Unreal will remove in the next release. ACES (Filmic) supposed to do proper HDR to LDR color mapping.

I've already tested that, and after certain point (around 230% I think) it doesn't seem to do anything anymore. But try settings PD at 200 and SteamSS at 100% and see how it looks. Then bump SteamSS up to 150% with the same settings. Of course performance takes a big hit but it also looks much better, so it is working.

As for Tonemapper I just prefer how it looks. :)

I've already tested that, and after certain point (around 230% I think) it doesn't seem to do anything anymore. But try settings PD at 200 and SteamSS at 100% and see how it looks. Then bump SteamSS up to 150% with the same settings. Of course performance takes a big hit but it also looks much better, so it is working.

As for Tonemapper I just prefer how it looks. :)

I see you enable HLOD. I get much better and stable framerates/frametime with HLOD disabled. Enabled I can get some sudden framedrops on certain areas. So it doesnt improve performance for me.

Been lurking after my original post, trying all of these great settings. I like what Andrew_WOT has been able to accomplish at 45fps. I was running a similar setup, enjoying the game quite a bit. However, there are simply too many dips in fps, micro stutters, ghosting, and blotchy-ness(?), especially when racing AI. I reluctantly tried the 60Hz setting again, and I can honestly say, it is better. For where the game is at in development, with the VR issues needing to still be addressed, I feel that, if 60Hz is available, you should probably give it a real chance, especially if you own an Odyssey +.

These are my settings and Engine.ini (from BlaKArg). I used BlaKArg's settings as a baseline to start with, and may have ended up with something completely different in the end. However, I was not chasing high Pixel Density or Super Sampling so much as I was trying to find a smooth gameplay experience with enough detail to make the game look like I believe it should.

You will notice that I bumped the contrast and gain (by .5%), as well as the color map to Default, to somewhat resemble the 90Hz color template. Feel free to change this, as it is purely a matter of taste. This is a solid baseline that you can just load up and race 30 AI, no stutters (depending on system/PD).

Game now looks, to me, like a AAA title that runs smooth. I hope this helps someone out there who is as frustrated as I am with the time consuming tweaking and testing, that many of us VR users have had to undertake in order to enjoy ACC. Hopefully the game will be optimized better for VR when they release the upcoming patches and packs, and we can finally approach 90fps. I'm sure this is not the end of the chase, but I am happy to build from here.

My system specs: i7 9700k, RTX2080, 16gb RAM at 3200mhz, SSD
VR: Samsung Odyssey +
WMR: 60Hz, Optimize Performance selected
Steam: 100% Super Sampling for ACC, Force Motion Vector Reprojection Disabled
Stock System: NO OVERCLOCK ON CPU OR GPU
Test: Brands Hatch, Quick Race, 32AI, Ferrari 488GT3, Midday (15x Time Multiplier), Light Clouds

If your specs are similar, you will have a smooth gameplay experience, with room to bump up the detail or PD depending on Track/AI/Multiplayer. If you have lower specs, I suggest dropping the Resolution Scale to 70 and adjusting the Pixel Density to taste. I also have Mirrors on Mid and Volumetric Fog on Low, which I know not many people are doing. These, as well as Bloom and Foliage, can certainly be turned down (or up) depending on your system. Best of luck. See you on the track.

Attachments

• Engine.ini
    1.4 KB · Views: 97
  • VR RACE- 60Hz.json
    954 bytes · Views: 82
  • Deleted member 197115

Nice, wish I could stand 60Hz as would prefer more stable framerate myself, but just can't tolerate that flickering, one lap and my eyes are completely shot.
Read that LCD based HMDs do not suffer as much as AMOLED.
The problem with reprojection is that you need 50-60 fps to have smooth experience, not just 45. Source.

I was able to dial mine to almost perfect stutter free experience for most scenarios.
SteamVR SS: 100 (global and app, advanced supersample filtering off)
WMR Experience option: Optimized for performance
WMR Reprojection: Auto (always on has worse performance for some reason).

If you still can't keep up with target framerate, play with Resolution, and Pixel Density. It's mostly a balance between two. Seems like Pixel Density has higher impact on sharpness and distant objects details than resolution, with resolution you could go as low as 60 and probably wouldn't notice too much if any difference.

These settings should work equally well with reprojection and 60 Hz, so choose what suits you better. Just bump up Exposure Gain and Contrast to 45 for 60 hz mode.

Attachments

• Engine.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 97
  • VR_70.json
    968 bytes · Views: 95
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, guys. Amazing job!!! I had to force myself to turn the computer off or I would have spent hours messing around with these.

They both look great.

Andrew, yours is SHARP and incredibly clean. A joy to see such a clear image in ACC on the Odyssey.

Normbatz, thank you so much for sharing. You just made me doubt all my settings, cause even though yours are clearly a bit more blurry, having all the effects so high makes it look that much more realistic. I also like the brightness and contrast at those settings, it looks darker and just different.

Now I'm torn but I know I will enjoy messing with these tomorrow. Thank you both for sharing!!!

Nice, wish I could stand 60Hz as would prefer more stable framerate myself, but just can't tolerate that flickering, one lap and my eyes are completely shot.
The problem with reprojection is that you need 50-60 fps to have smooth experience, not just 45. Source.

I was able to dial mine to almost perfect stutter free experience for most scenarios.

If you still can't keep up with target framerate, play with Resolution, and Pixel Density. It's mostly a balance between two. Seems like Pixel Density has higher impact on sharpness and distant objects details than resolution, with resolution you could go as low as 60 and probably wouldn't notice too much if any difference.

These settings should work equally well with reprojection and 60 Hz, so choose what suits you better. Just bump up Exposure Gain and Contrast to 45 for 60 hz mode.

You are right on about keeping Reprojection on Auto when at 90Hz. What I did, to make sure I never hit 90 (because I don't run as high a PD and try to keep the MS around 10-12 when running 90Hz), was set a Frame Limit. I just tried your latest settings, and while they are sharp, I still get stutters and dropouts. 200 PD in ACC is asking a lot of any graphics card, and my system just can't keep up, I guess. Plus, I very much prefer to keep every setting at Mid or higher, if possible. I've attached my 90Hz settings, which are close to my 60Hz settings. The experience is not perfect in either, but I am sticking with 60Hz for now.

This has been some great experimenting, and I have used both yours and BlaKArg's settings quite a bit, both being awesome. Thank you all for helping in the quest.

Attachments

• VR RACE.json
    938 bytes · Views: 89
Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I see you enable HLOD. I get much better and stable framerates/frametime with HLOD disabled. Enabled I can get some sudden framedrops on certain areas. So it doesnt improve performance for me.
Guys, have you tried turning HLOD off.
Not 100% conclusive on average gain, but it definitely helped with spikes and kept framerate more stable. Guess HLOD switching taxes system quite a bit and with little headroom could cause sudden fps drop.

@normbatz , after playing back and forth with 60 and reprojection, I just loved 60Hz smoothness, not doubt the best experience, perhaps that flickering is something to get used to, but my eyes were thankful when switched back to 90Hz.
My loss. :(

Guys, have you tried turning HLOD off.
Not 100% conclusive on average gain, but it definitely helped with spikes and kept framerate more stable. Guess HLOD switching taxes system quite a bit and with little headroom could cause sudden fps drop.

@normbatz , after playing back and forth with 60 and reprojection, I just loved 60Hz smoothness, not doubt the best experience, perhaps that flickering is something to get used to, but my eyes were thankful when switched back to 90Hz.
My loss. :(
I did try switching HLOD off and seemed to get a smoother experience, but nothing conclusive yet. It was a good tip!

Is 60HZ something you can maybe try getting used to little by little? It really has no effect on me whatsoever so it's hard to imagine what it's like, but it's just so much smoother and cleaner than reprojection.

Heading off to bed, I will be doing some tweaking tomorrow. :D

• Deleted member 197115

You are right on about keeping Reprojection on Auto when at 90Hz. What I did, to make sure I never hit 90 (because I don't run as high a PD and try to keep the MS around 10-12 when running 90Hz), was set a Frame Limit. I just tried your latest settings, and while they are sharp, I still get stutters and dropouts. 200 PD in ACC is asking a lot of any graphics card, and my system just can't keep up, I guess. Plus, I very much prefer to keep every setting at Mid or higher, if possible. I've attached my 90Hz settings, which are close to my 60Hz settings. The experience is not perfect in either, but I am sticking with 60Hz for now.

This has been some great experimenting, and I have used both yours and BlaKArg's settings quite a bit, both being awesome. Thank you all for helping in the quest.
That's a baseline, and if you follow my suggestion on using Resolution in combination with Pixel Denstity, you can dial framerate to suit your system while keeping almost the same fidelity.
BTW, on frame limiters, UE4 discourages from using any with VR https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Platforms/VR/DevelopVR/ContentSetup/index.html

Thanks your settings are indeed very sharp. I turned off HLOD and put some LOW settings on MID for more eye candy, but PD on 195 and initial testing gives me very good stable framerates and frametimes. I did put Texture and Materiality from High to Med as I dont see any difference visually. I also turned on Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in windows, while I dont see much difference my frametimes are a bit lower on average in ACC as well as RFactor 2. Didnt know WMR on Auto has better performance so thanks for that.

• Deleted member 197115

You turned this on?
1593561767245.png

Are you on the latest GFX driver (451.48), as this is the first one supposedly supporting this feature and when I tried it with AC and ACC my VR framerate went crazy, jumping from 60 to 90 and back.

• Deleted member 197115

Tried to capture difference in frametime perfomance with HLOD on and off with Reprojection disabled.
Both turned out equal. :unsure:
HLOD Disabled
1593563797131.png

HLOD Enabled
1593563824287.png

Tried to capture difference in frametime perfomance with HLOD on and off with Reprojection disabled.
Both turned out equal. :unsure:
HLOD Disabled
View attachment 384986

HLOD Enabled
View attachment 384987

With HLOD enabled I can get a FPS drop to 40 in Nurburgring (2nd corner till 3rd corner), Spa (main straight at start) and Bathurst (main straight at start) when driving at Night. Disabled I maintain 45 fps.

I did indeed turn on Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling. With it on in ACC my frametime did not go above 12.8 ms whole lap in Monza and Bathurst. Also in RFactor 2 at Le Mans at night and sunset I keep 45 fps steady with PP on High. I lock FPS to 45. Didn't have any negative influence for me so far so kept it on.

I do play on my laptop with RTX 2080 which should perform similar to your 1080ti (27k GFX on Firestrike and 10K TimeSpy).

• Deleted member 197115

May be night makes bigger difference?
Wondering if GPU scheduling works for RTX GPUs only at the moment.
Another useless feature like Game Mode that only shows improvement in MS lab?
I will try to retest this evening.

• Deleted member 197115

Nope, still broken for me, seems like it's trying to lock HMD at 60 fps and framerate is all over the place.

Nope, still broken for me, seems like it's trying to lock HMD at 60 fps and framerate is all over the place.

I tried the hardware enabled GPU scheduling feature too, and it is buggy for me as well. Framerates jump all over the place and it locks 4 cores on my cpu to max load, while the other 4 are showing minimum (9700k). I use FpsVr, so I was able to see this in real time. If I didnt't have this program, the glitching would be very apparent and I would know something was wrong. Strange, but glad I'm not the only one.

Anderw_WOT, I played around with your settings last night again, and I was able to get a decent experience at 45fps when I moved some settings around (keeping things mostly at Med and some turned off) and lowered the Pixel Density to around 170. The weird thing is, although this was only showing around 12ms frametime, it kept trying to bounce between reprojection on or off, almost hitting 90fps at some points. It seems that unless you really push the GPU (RTX2080) by upping all the details, then the game could "almost" run at 90fps and makes a buggy experience due to WMR. You can't force always on reprojection without serious glitching, so I'm running auto like you. Same for you?

• Deleted member 197115

Yep, the whole reprojection is weird. I can easily run AC at 90, but with repro on Auto it drops to 45 due to extra GPU overhead.
Perhaps the only way to prevent back and forth switching is framelimiter, even that UE diocumentation does not suggest to use one with VR.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 464 70.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 283 42.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 306 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 135 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 180 27.2%
Back