Sol

Misc Sol 2.2.9

Login or Register an account to download this content
You need at least Shader patch 49 to run SOL 1.1.1
Just install Sol manually. It's the safest way to install Sol. It runs very good with Shader Patch 114.
Manual suggest version 63+ for 1.1. And from videos with 49 (release version) people were getting the black skybox.

I can check with 49 but I need to know where SOL settings are stored first so I can back hem up and disable/enable SOL at will.

With 114 and SOL 1.1.1 I can't load any regular stock tracks that don't have more than one layout, it keeps looking for "freeroam" layout that does not exist. Such as Laguna Seca, Zandvoort freeroam layout. So I need to again disable shader patch + SOL to check what the heck is wrong.

Manual suggest version 63+ for 1.1. And from videos with 49 (release version) people were getting the black skybox.

I can check with 49 but I need to know where SOL settings are stored first so I can back hem up and disable/enable SOL at will.

With 114 and SOL 1.1.1 I can't load any regular stock tracks that don't have more than one layout, it keeps looking for "freeroam" layout that does not exist. Such as Laguna Seca, Zandvoort freeroam layout. So I need to again disable shader patch + SOL to check what the heck is wrong.
Yesterday I installed a new computer and setup AC for the first time. Then I installed CM. In CM I installed the Shader patch and updated it to 114 and then I installed Sol 1.2 RC1! Manually, because of lite version of CM. It runs from start up without problems.

You will find the config in /extension/weather/sol/sol_config.lua. BUT! Don't copy the backuped old one to the new Sol version. You will miss entries. Just edit it manually and put in your last values.

That's unfortunate but thank you, I will back it up and make a note.

SOL app allows setting 350=3.5 night brightness but the config file mentions 2 as max:

Code:
-- adjust the ambient brightness from dusk till dawn
night__brightness_adjust=3.5 --min=0,max=2

I don't use it this high but noticed the max mentioned in comment and max possible to set via app differ.

Last edited:
That's unfortunate but thank you, I will back it up and make a note.

SOL app allows setting 350=3.5 night brightness but the config file mentions 2 as max:

Code:
-- adjust the ambient brightness from dusk till dawn
night__brightness_adjust=3.5 --min=0,max=2

I don't use it this high but noticed the max mentioned in comment and max possible to set via app differ.
Even on 2.0 its way to bright for night, but i a have a limit of -10 and 10 in the end, just for PPFilter modders to have much headroom to try out stupid stuff. So i limited it to useable values in the sol_config app.

In Sol config app its displayed as %

Peter: If only.

Tried that before, here is the result from right now:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/43

With dyn. ambient enabled something goes terribly wrong and parts go very contrasty. Interior and exterior of car/cars.

Again the same as everyone else is seeing, wet track look instead of dry with 114+1.1.1. Known issue, missing configs or what it is.

Add this:

114+1.1.1, LA Canyons (original light files that don't have the ugly green pit lights and yellow rail lights all around the track that someone managed to sneak onto CM's autodownload location)
Opponent cars don't cast headlights onto anything but track surface, no walls, no signs, no interior of player's car.

49+1.1b6, LA Canyons
Works fine, headlights light up track and interiors correctly, headlights shine more upward than newer versions in those the lights are very conservative and don't shine much up.

114+1.1.1, Nordschleife
Lights cast from opponents are very weak, barely light up interior of car on Nordschleife (the auto download was enabled for it to download what ever lights update there was that CM likes to DL nowadays) and won't light up walls only track surface.

Guess some files are missing from the package or aren't getting auto downloaded by CM for tracks/cars, ... who knows. Stuff is quite broken still. The old issue of shader patch causing momentary freeze every 5min or so is still there too.

Peter: If only.

Tried that before, here is the result from right now:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/43

With dyn. ambient enabled something goes terribly wrong and parts go very contrasty. Interior and exterior of car/cars.

Again the same as everyone else is seeing, wet track look instead of dry with 114+1.1.1. Known issue, missing configs or what it is.

Add this:

114+1.1.1, LA Canyons (original light files that don't have the ugly green pit lights and yellow rail lights all around the track that someone managed to sneak onto CM's autodownload location)
Opponent cars don't cast headlights onto anything but track surface, no walls, no signs, no interior of player's car.

49+1.1b6, LA Canyons
Works fine, headlights light up track and interiors correctly, headlights shine more upward than newer versions in those the lights are very conservative and don't shine much up.

114+1.1.1, Nordschleife
Lights cast from opponents are very weak, barely light up interior of car on Nordschleife (the auto download was enabled for it to download what ever lights update there was that CM likes to DL nowadays) and won't light up walls only track surface.

Guess some files are missing from the package or aren't getting auto downloaded by CM for tracks/cars, ... who knows. Stuff is quite broken still. The old issue of shader patch causing momentary freeze every 5min or so is still there too.
You could stay for now with Shader patch 74. Select it in CM settings>custom Shader patch>about and update and then install Sol 1.2 RC 1 manually. Pretty stable combination.

For all trying out SOL 1.2 RC1, please uncheck the single option in Settings>APPS>sol_config
Before installing Sol. Then all changed values in the config will be set right!!!

Thanks I couldn't find a discord link. Seems it's hiding under screenshots on main page as well.

---

74+1.2rc1, Nordschleife
Lights cast from opponents do light up interior of car on Nordschleife (the auto download was enabled for it to download what ever lights update there was that CM likes to DL nowadays) but won't light up walls only track surface.

I've disabled the sol config checkbox about ini and even the sol config itself before enabling/installing shader patch and SOL. It gets left there visible in CM because it sees the app config file and folder, these don't get deleted with mod disable.

Daytime Nordschleife looked oversaturated :( but I did find a shadow blueness config now so that's great, can reduce that effect hopefully. Air "fog" is still very low making everything look airless.

The whole PPfilter's LUA seems to be redone again with adding HDR parameter dependent sun, sky, ambient adjustments which seems to me something that should be in SOL not in the PP's LUA file. It's nice for tinkerers but it has to be explained somewhere what each parameter such as "hdr" actually is, where it gets it's values and what those values represent. It's hard to decipher for those that don't know the underlying code. What's all the HDR adjustment in __Sol.lua supposed to do? Is it an attempt at altering how much of HDR space gets mapped to the SDR output? Aka what mapping factor does? HDR parameter in PPfilter also has vague description of basically: set 1.0 and all rest supposedly artifacts.

Code:
[PERFORMANCE]
USE_DYNAMIC_AMBIENT=1
Seems missing from Shader p74 GUI. But it's available in p114.

I don't think dynamic ambient is working on p74+1.2rc1, I don't see any change when comparing screenshots. What should it actually do? Does it only work on p114+1.2rc1?

Last edited:
Hi, I just installed Sol and Custom Shaders Patch with Content Manager. I am using VR (WMR) and now every time I start a race I get a big stutter 1-2 min after the session begins, it just hags for a couple of seconds. After that everything runs fine, so it only happens once per session. Does this happen to anyone else? Does anybody know how it can be fixed?

Hi, I just installed Sol and Custom Shaders Patch with Content Manager. I am using VR (WMR) and now every time I start a race I get a big stutter 1-2 min after the session begins, it just hags for a couple of seconds. After that everything runs fine, so it only happens once per session. Does this happen to anyone else? Does anybody know how it can be fixed?
Which version of Sol and shader patch. Do you use dynamic weather?

Which version of Sol and shader patch. Do you use dynamic weather?
I use Sol 1.1.1 but I think I solved it by switching to shaders patch 0.1.25.49, was using 0.1.25.69 previously (I think that was set by sol). Anyway, it doesn't seem to happen anymore. However now I do not have rain sounds - any idea about that?

I keep reading that so many people are having issues with Sol, particularly on Facebook and the one common thread that runs through all of them is that they installed it with content manager. Right from the get go I have installed it manually from the downloaded zip file and have never had a single issue. I still have 1.1.1 installed and after turning dynamic ambient on it works really well with shaders patch 114.

I am of the mind that, for installing anything other than setups, content manager is useless. It looks to mess things up somehow. If you install manually from the zip it's likely to be something you did that caused an issue and you can go back and fix it.

I keep reading that so many people are having issues with Sol, particularly on Facebook and the one common thread that runs through all of them is that they installed it with content manager. Right from the get go I have installed it manually from the downloaded zip file and have never had a single issue. I still have 1.1.1 installed and after turning dynamic ambient on it works really well with shaders patch 114.

I am of the mind that, for installing anything other than setups, content manager is useless. It looks to mess things up somehow. If you install manually from the zip it's likely to be something you did that caused an issue and you can go back and fix it.
We think about other options. We switched to install via CM because many people wanted it. And we are now in a state where it should be integrated in Shader Patch, because of the many problems with the installation. Sure manual install is the safest way, but many people don't know about file structure of AC. If it is integrated in CSP, then maybe the distribution over RD is obsolete. There are many options right now. Will see...

There's not really much to it, certainly not with 1.1.1. You just unzip the MODS folder into the one in AC and then enable the mod in content manager, easy as and it works every time.

Thanks I couldn't find a discord link. Seems it's hiding under screenshots on main page as well.

---

74+1.2rc1, Nordschleife
Lights cast from opponents do light up interior of car on Nordschleife (the auto download was enabled for it to download what ever lights update there was that CM likes to DL nowadays) but won't light up walls only track surface.

I've disabled the sol config checkbox about ini and even the sol config itself before enabling/installing shader patch and SOL. It gets left there visible in CM because it sees the app config file and folder, these don't get deleted with mod disable.

Daytime Nordschleife looked oversaturated :( but I did find a shadow blueness config now so that's great, can reduce that effect hopefully. Air "fog" is still very low making everything look airless.

The whole PPfilter's LUA seems to be redone again with adding HDR parameter dependent sun, sky, ambient adjustments which seems to me something that should be in SOL not in the PP's LUA file. It's nice for tinkerers but it has to be explained somewhere what each parameter such as "hdr" actually is, where it gets it's values and what those values represent. It's hard to decipher for those that don't know the underlying code. What's all the HDR adjustment in __Sol.lua supposed to do? Is it an attempt at altering how much of HDR space gets mapped to the SDR output? Aka what mapping factor does? HDR parameter in PPfilter also has vague description of basically: set 1.0 and all rest supposedly artifacts.

Code:
[PERFORMANCE]
USE_DYNAMIC_AMBIENT=1
Seems missing from Shader p74 GUI. But it's available in p114.

I don't think dynamic ambient is working on p74+1.2rc1, I don't see any change when comparing screenshots. What should it actually do? Does it only work on p114+1.2rc1?
The hdr value which can be received in the custom config is a calculated value out of the self measuring autoexposure and the multiplier you can adjust in the sol config. If its greater then 1, the picture was measured "too bright" and if it's lower then 1 it was measured "too dark". But I don't want just to adapt the brightness or exposure. With >1 I want to create an effect of blinding and with <1 I create an effect of an opened iris, where sky becomes very overexposed and the important part of the picture like the road has good brightness.
So I neutralize the the Kunos AE and the picture stays with its exposure and then I take the measured offset (hdr value) to create those effects to simulate a mix of eye and camera effects.

I will look in the code to do the adjustments with AE Target and min/max exposure just with 1 mode of Sol AE. Then it's again usable in the Ppfilter and other custom configs.

That's why I outsourced many of those things, because it's very difficult for ppfilter modders to deal with this, if the wanted to do complete different things.

The main problem is the AE logic and the different behavior with different cars. So I tried to compensate this with a self measuring system and reuse AE to go away from that nasty fluctuating brightness. Still not perfect....

Also I have to redo the manual with all the new changes and options. I need time to do this...

You can write in Discord as well. It's much quicker to communicate.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 428 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 267 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 285 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 126 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.2%
Back