Some wip projects

AndreasFSC

Too much going on...
battle1989.jpg

• Deleted member 868286

That's the pit marshal, and for some reason he is loaded as a standard 'object' with no animation information, so he is placed on 0,0,0 point on track. Does this happen on other tracks too, or just snetterton?
I've only found it in Snetterton, but I haven't tried them all.

Edit: also Thruxton.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 868286

You probably miss .FXA and/or .FXM files in race 07\Gamedata\Scripts folder
They are included in the race remaster zip package.
I already had those files, but I reinstalled them in case they were corrupted, but the problem remains.

• Deleted member 868286

Ok, then the problem might be in the .ani files of the tracks (might be old version?). Is there a pitmarshal object line in the ani file?
Thanks for your efforts.
There is a pitmarshal object in, for example, the Snetterton ani file:

//Object=PITMARSHAL
//{
// MeshFile=TE_actor.gmt ActorFile=TE_actor.FXA Motions=PITMARSHALMOTIONS
//}

I had some other mods installed, so to exclude conflict I disabled them and tested Snetterton in a base install only with BTCT Reloaded 2.4, SuperTouringTrackPack1.4 and Race ReMastered installed on top, but the result is the same.

Thanks for your efforts.
There is a pitmarshal object in, for example, the Snetterton ani file:

//Object=PITMARSHAL
//{
// MeshFile=TE_actor.gmt ActorFile=TE_actor.FXA Motions=PITMARSHALMOTIONS
//}

I had some other mods installed, so to exclude conflict I disabled them and tested Snetterton in a base install only with BTCT Reloaded 2.4, SuperTouringTrackPack1.4 and Race ReMastered installed on top, but the result is the same.
For some unknown reason there must be an extra TE_actor.gmt added in an .ani (or trk, but not likely) file but without animations somewhere in your install :unsure:
Are there any .ani files in \Gamedata\Animations\Pit ?
Or perhaps duplicates of PitMarshall.ani somewhere else?
Do you have a pitmarshall directing you out when leaving garage?

• Deleted member 868286

For some unknown reason there must be an extra TE_actor.gmt added in an .ani (or trk, but not likely) file but without animations somewhere in your install :unsure:
Are there any .ani files in \Gamedata\Animations\Pit ?
Or perhaps duplicates of PitMarshall.ani somewhere else?
Do you have a pitmarshall directing you out when leaving garage?
Are there any .ani files in \Gamedata\Animations\Pit ? No.

Or perhaps duplicates of PitMarshall.ani somewhere else? No.

Do you have a pitmarshall directing you out when leaving garage? No.

Nobody else is coming forward with the problem, so this does indicate something specific to my install.

Edit: I removed TE_ACTOR.GMT file from my Scripts folder and the men on track have disappeared. I'm happy.

• Deleted member 868286

@Mick Leahy
Next time you found an issue please reported into the comment section of the proper tread. So everyone can benefit and you don´t flood other treads with whatever mess you have installed.
Thank you.

I posted on this section as it deals with what I thought a relevant work in progress, notably Andreas' Track Pack. Apart from the referred problem, my install of this great game accompanied by these wonderful mods is working perfectly. It's actually my first ever post here, so I know little about the niceties of it, but Andreas didn't seem to have a problem. Just you.
Thank you.

I always try to improve the visuals, I am no expert in any specific modding area (modelling, texturing, physics etc), just working a little bit on everything, trying to fix the thing that is worst and an improvement is needed the most :D

There are others who are better at adding details from different years, making specific motecs and buttons. I would like to improve these areas too, but there are so many cars to work on...

I always try to improve the visuals, I am no expert in any specific modding area (modelling, texturing, physics etc), just working a little bit on everything, trying to fix the thing that is worst and an improvement is needed the most :D

There are others who are better at adding details from different years, making specific motecs and buttons. I would like to improve these areas too, but there are so many cars to work on...
That's exactly why we like you
so much, and your work ! :D

btw.. Some fresh pictures from
Solvalla's surroundings, is to be expected, soon, if you want it.. :thumbsup:

even those side tents are looking better, and the guradrails seem having that shader effect that I tell you.

Did you actually find it usefull? Although maybe was already done by you when you say "dark areas a little more darker".

And Andreas nobody is an expert on anything. We all learn and share waht we can so its usefull for all in the end.

Still don´t find time to move to raceRemaster.

Last edited:
Hey Andreas!
Yesterday I notice this at sunset with some white platic sheet that was on my yard.
I hope it usefull (as it kinda simulates some sort of AMBIENT occlusion) and again, if this is already on your new shaders then cool! As I haven´t seen this on Gmotor games and it would be cool. (By 100% I mean the *.GDB values)

Now I really think you nailed it with adding "sky reflection" to everything (as cubemaps only did before). The visuals have really changed with that.
1.JPG

1652564916612.png

Trying a little bit of illustration myself, as an indirect answer and for those who want to learn more about the shaders.
This is a simplified model obviously, converted to 2d, car shaders are used as example.

Green = object normals, also calculated visible surface points
Blue = camera point direction from object surface
Yellow = sun point direction from object surface

As shaders calculate every pixel (or "fragment" actually) of the visual objects that uses the material, also materials in the background unless they are discarded.

1. The normal facing sun position is about 90 deg away from sun direction = about 0 diffuse (first calculated range is 1.0 to -1.0, then range is limited to about , 1.0 to 0) I use range 1.0 to about -0.05 to make surface in shadow a little bit more bluish (take some sun color away) and limits everything below -0.05 to -0.05 as you can't have negative light, but I still use a tiny bit for simulated shadow.
Specular light almost 0 because sun does not reflect, from sun direction via normal direction to camera direction.
Ambient light about 90% (base) + extra from normals facing upwards (45deg away from 100% up)
Fresnel value (the effect where reflection amount is increased with higher view angle related to a surface) is low, as camera and normal is almost the same = low cube map

2. Normal facing about 45deg from sun direction => about 0.5 diffuse x texture(s).
So calculated diffuse is about 0.5 x sun light from the track file.
Sun direction reflects into camera direction in the normal direction, so specular light = close to 1.0
Ambient light about 90% (base) + extra from normals facing upwards (to have some extra sky reflection added to and increase cube map effect).
Fresnel value is quite high as camera angle is big compared to normal = high cube map and specular

3. Diffuse = high from sun and normal directions, about 1.0 x sun color x texture(s)
No specular, sun does not reflect to camera from normals direction.
Ambient light about 90% (base) + (extra added to cube map) from normals facing upwards (45deg away)
Fresnel value is quite high as camera angle is big compared to normal = high cube map and specular

4 - 6. Normals facing away from camera (not visible), simplified calculations to save performance. Texture x ambient only, as a little bit can be seen sometimes if some normals are heavily tweaked away from camera but a polygon still is visible.

7. Only base ambient x texture, no diffuse or specular
High fresnel, but doesn't matter, because cube map amount is also effected by diffuse light.

8. Almost the same as 7, less fresnel

There are also some numbers used in the shaders for fine tuning amount of some things in the calculations (to make it look better). These tweaks are made using the WTCC cars, to make them look as good as possible, so other mods may need some adjusting to look the best. That is why I update the super touring cars now,

Last edited:
@AndreasFSC I don´t know what an indirect answer is or can be so..

You seem pretty expert on the subject (as always said, I know nothing about shaders) I was just making a sugestion to cooperate with you asking about the cockpit darkness.
I post some recent screens of sascha´s GT3 and its values for you to also have a comparison point.

It make me remember how I always think that bottom of surfaces (like bridges) should be darker. I make simple draws to make myself clear.
I also wonder about how much the scene would change if everything and even bumpmaping would receive this treat.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 49 9.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 26 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 32 5.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.4%