Tactile Immersion - General Discussion - Hardware & Software

Or you could wire in parallel and settle for 2 front shakers and 2 rear shakers in 2 channel configuration rather than 4 independent channels. Would only need 1 amp that way. Assuming the amp supports 2 ohms, it will have approximately same power with 2 channels powering 4 shakers in parallel as 2 amps at 4 ohms powering 4 shakers for 4 independent channels.

Attachments

• 4-SVC-4-ohm-4-ch-low-imp.jpg
    4-SVC-4-ohm-4-ch-low-imp.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Well, perhaps (2) two channel amps for 4 channels might work. :D
I figured that one. Just been thinking a about a single solution, instead of having two of them.

Or you could wire in parallel and settle for 2 front shakers and 2 rear shakers in 2 channel configuration rather than 4 independent channels. Would only need 1 amp that way. Assuming the amp supports 2 ohms, it will have approximately same power with 2 channels powering 4 shakers in parallel as 2 amps at 4 ohms powering 4 shakers for 4 independent channels.

That could be an option as well. Useful info, thank you!

You wont find many (home audio) amps that support 2ohm.

If you were to go with a parallel installation then it would make more sense to purchase 4x BK Mini Concert as these are 2ohm units and that could then give you the 4ohm per channel. Then again why have 4 small units and not be able to achieve stereo effects?

Also in comparison to a single but larger unit like the BK Advance, it would outperform 2 of the small BK Mini when it comes to improved bass energy with low frequencies. So I don't think 4x small units in parallel with more complication in the wiring/installation is a good option to consider at all.

Yet its good to ask yourself, what is it that you want, do you want more at this stage quality in performance with a path to upgrade in future to additional units/channels. Or having multiple channels right away, operating with just a basic-average quality in performance? Do you want a cheap amp now that can do the job or one that can last for years and accommodate the bigger tactile if you ever buy them in the future?

For BK Mini or other basic tactile.
At present (Feb 2019) the best affordable small amp I can find which looks possibly even better than the popular SMSL model is a new Nobsound model. This being the TPA3116 Digital Amplifier with 2x100w. It looks like crazy value for under £50 and worth somebody checking out for their tactile, maybe even better than the previously shared Nobsound models with only 2x50w.

Of course a Behringer Nx 1000D with the additional DSP and greater wattage is an excellent purchase, capable of powering the Bigger tactile as well but at more than 3x the price.

Last edited:
I generally agree with above. The reason i suggested parallell is @Jacco van der Zaag said he already had 4 BK minis. It would make sense to run 4 of those in parallell from a single nx1000 for a while, save a few pennies and get a second nx1000 for true 4 channel set up with enough wattage to really drive the bk mini. Perhaps once 2 nx1000s are in hand 4 larger shakers can be had as the upgrade path down the road...

I don't have fantastic isolation so a 2 channel front and rear set up saved me a lot of cost from a 4 channel set up that would provide minimal benefit in my case.

Once I get my tax return isolation is my next SIM rig project

You wont find many (home audio) amps that support 2ohm.

If you were to go with a parallel installation then it would make more sense to purchase 4x BK Mini Concert as these are 2ohm units and that could then give you the 4ohm per channel. Then again why have 4 small units and not be able to achieve stereo effects?

Also in comparison to a single but larger unit like the BK Advance, it would outperform 2 of the small BK Mini when it comes to improved bass energy with low frequencies. So I don't think 4x small units in parallel with more complication in the wiring/installation is a good option to consider at all.

Yet its good to ask yourself, what is it that you want, do you want more at this stage quality in performance with a path to upgrade in future to additional units/channels. Or having multiple channels right away, operating with just a basic-average quality in performance? Do you want a cheap amp now that can do the job or one that can last for years and accommodate the bigger tactile if you ever buy them in the future?

For BK Mini or other basic tactile.
At present (Feb 2019) the best affordable small amp I can find which looks possibly even better than the popular SMSL model is a new Nobsound model. This being the TPA3116 Digital Amplifier with 2x100w. It looks like crazy value for under £50 and worth somebody checking out for their tactile, maybe even better than the previously shared Nobsound models with only 2x50w.

Of course a Behringer Nx 1000D with the additional DSP and greater wattage is an excellent purchase, capable of powering the Bigger tactile as well but at more than 3x the price.

I see your point, and I agree with it. I'd like to do things the proper, quality wise way than the cheap way and having to invest later because you won't be happy with it after all.

But, then the next thing. Should I start with 1 NX3000D with 2 BK Advance, or with 2 NX1000D's and 4 BK Mini LFE's? Or something comparable like that. I'm gonna dive in those options, see what a difference the Advance makes in comparison with the Mini.

The reason why I was looking for a 4 channel unit was because I rather stuff everything in my rig. It's a GT1 from Sim Lab, with the shelf mounting option. My idea was to mount the amplifier on that shelf, so I won't have any cables running everywhere, but just inside the rig.

I generally agree with above. The reason i suggested parallell is @Jacco van der Zaag said he already had 4 BK minis. It would make sense to run 4 of those in parallell from a single nx1000 for a while, save a few pennies and get a second nx1000 for true 4 channel set up with enough wattage to really drive the bk mini. Perhaps once 2 nx1000s are in hand 4 larger shakers can be had as the upgrade path down the road...

I don't have fantastic isolation so a 2 channel front and rear set up saved me a lot of cost from a 4 channel set up that would provide minimal benefit in my case.

Once I get my tax return isolation is my next SIM rig project

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, but I don't own anything yet. I was orientating on Tactile, and came up with that idea.

A nx3000 powering 2 BK advance would be pretty sweet in my opinion. If that amp could drive 2 BK LFE even better, but I am not sure wattage would be sufficient for 2 LFE.

My future plan is to use my current nx1000 to power 4 ADX shakers (parallell) for road texture effects and wheel slip. And get a nx3000 to power 4 BKA in parallell for front and rear vibration effect.

If an amp can do 2 ohms take advantage of it is my theory. The trade off is only having front and rear effect separation rather than all 4 corners, but the up side is saving 50% on amps and getting the same power output.

With proper isolation 4 channels + would.be better for sure but the cost benefit ratio is not a certainty for me at this point with my rig. Someone with better isolation would likely feel differently

Last edited:
In fairness, the BK Mini units do a decent job but they really fall short when it comes to making use of certain effects that we want to utilise very low frequencies with. Advance is a good step up but its also a good step short of the biggest units potential as well.

Getting really good stereo effects operating can in some cases can be a challenge. Depends on the users build what they perhaps can do with the installation and help to control the path of the tactile energy.

My advice would be to go with quality than quantity and then expand the tactile over time. If you seek to have twin larger units then you can experiment with front/back or stereo based installations.

I would say to buy the NX3000D and it can power 2 of the biggest BK LFE or BK Concert units.
If you check on ebay UK you may still find a seller, clearing stocks (from a professional installation) of used BK Concert (now for £130) which is still a bargain.

What you may find is once you start applying multiple effects that the way to go is with incorporating a Dual Role type approach or apply only specific effects to primary units with secondary units for other effects like engine etc. This can mean you get the great depth/energy the larger units bring but then achieve better detailing as well.

In my view, good tactile is not perhaps, so much about having 4,6 or 8 channels, it's about making the effects you enjoy much more immersive, entertaining and thrilling.

Last edited:
Is it possible to connect magnetic actuators in every corner of the rig (simulating bumps on every wheel)
to get kind of 4dof controlled by shakeit or simvibe?
Are there magnetic Actuators that can move a whole rig significant or only vibrate?

Intention behind this is to build or buy a magnetic shock absorber as an actuator
motivated by this
https://www.supermagnete.de/Magnetanwendungen/Schweben-dank-XXL-Magneten

Crowson Tactile Motion Actuators have been available for years and used in the Home Cinema enthusiast entertainment sector. They make reference to "kinaesthetic" sensations with the usage of tactile for low frequencies, under 30Hz.

Something I often mention the importance of regards tactile immersion, that smaller or budget units cannot really deliver these low frequencies with lots of energy. Yet when we can deliver them it changes greatly the perception we may have in what tactile can bring in immersion and enjoyment.

Crowson are meant to be very good but are not cheap. However, they are much more affordable than d-box motion for movies with recliners or sofas.

This example of a helicopter is ideal to represent also how an engine at idle can feel. Using below 10Hz it shows they have enough energy to move the whole seat and user. The specs state each actuator can move upto 250lbs and operate from 1Hz - 500Hz.

Crowson Shadow 8
See HERE

Last edited:
Here is a tutorial video I just did on configuring effects in Shake It, and a demo as well. Give it a look! I would sure love to compare settings with folks here. :)

Thanks for this video Scottiedawg66, it should give me a great starting base when my rig is finally up and running. I should have had it all working by now but motidis missed some bits off my order, add that to their long lead times, its making it seem like an eternity

@boern69 this is also a new bit of hardware that has been announced. Not seen anything about it regards pricing but you can check out the website as they give more details.

I would expect something like the Crowson or this could bring excellent effects for G loads for braking/acceleration or lateral G with the energy they can output with low frequencies. Also great potential with engines etc.

Datasheet HERE

For detailing, I don't (yet) know how magnetic/mechanical actuators for tactile compare with what can be achieved if incorporating some of the methods I have experimented with. It's still something I continue to do as a hobby in its own right with a test build currently in progress. This includes use of multiple units for specific roles or enhancing specific frequencies via more than one unit. Yet also incorporating better and more body regions to further the immersion and to greatly enhance the stereo positioning of effects.

My own goals are still to help push tactile to new possibilities, to be creative and try to learn more from testing. Eventually, have this, also combine with an SFX based motion rig. I do see awesome potential with both but some on the forums like @sjb266 and others like to ridicule/attack me on such, or if I query what the pros/cons with tactile effects someting like the SFX offers. People then typically, get over-defensive about their motion rigs. Yet so far, they bring very little to nothing in actual in-depth testing or their own comparisons to help determine what the pros/cons of each option bring. Never mind sensibly discussing without debate/argument or attitude, what the possibilities really are if we were to creatively incorporate both.

I am not sure how you would or can control the magnet based solution you showed. However, the Crowson or this new "Mover" product could be interesting if incorporated into a sim cockpit. With them being audio based, (yet also at least with the Crowson, being a magnetic actuator unit) they can be used with the very best tactile software options available.

If taking this into account we then could apply their potential energy, but we are not limited to the effects/controls/options that the motion platform like an SFX or indeed D-Box software only offer nor restrictions in their installation positioning typically being on the outer corners of a rig.

Last edited:
Hi! I am planning to add motion (4DOF) to my simrig in the near future and I am in the verge of buying bass shaker to mount it (them?) on it. The rig is from "monsimu" and was made out of 5cm aluminum tubes. It is both rigid and light.

Should I go for a Earthquake Q10B or for several BK Concert? What extra do I need to make it work greatly (amp, cables, etc)? The whole setup need to be silent. I need some advice here, thanks!!

@Mr Latte
understand what u mean - nothin new ->some people are envious and or not open minded
I think this is awesome - plz show more
What Software do u use?
------------------
look here

->I guess this is all the secret behind crowson technologie

all u need could be a powerful magnetic bass actuator
----------------------------------
I read that dbox 4dof motion sytems are magnetic actuators as well (4250i) and act very
calm compared to servos

Anyway they use motors as well but for input !!!something very similar!!! like shakeit or simvibe imo
and that + the good frequenzyrange is reason for calm action?!

intresting article
https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1273598#

"
The D-Box design concept is perhaps unique

Contrary to many commercial and industrial motion systems where motion is controlled by discrete positioning commands, in D-Box’s Odyssee and Quest systems the motion signal is represented as a steady stream of position samples. In this sense motion is transmitted and processed much like a digital audio signal. There is no real distinction between motion and vibration. Vibration is simply what happens at the upper end of the frequency spectrum, while motion is what happens at the lower end.

The frequency response of an actuator must be flat from 0Hz to 100Hz, entering largely into the audio spectrum. To be able to achieve this level of performance, the motors that are at the heart of an actuator must be able to accelerate the passengers at accelerations of up to 1g, while at the same time supporting the full weight of the passengers and seats. At the other end of the dynamic range, motion must be so smooth that it is almost imperceptible

I find the end result to be the D-Box motion is similar to the OSW FFB with a Kollmorgen+Simucube.

Through your seat, the D-Box provides road/surface texture. You can feel the concrete is you speed through the pit boxes, or tarmac to concrete to tarmac, the repaired patches and curbs of Sebring. You can feel the suspension and loss of acceleration as you shift up through the gears.

On the other hand Simvibe Extensions mode and presumably Gamevibe are playing specific effects through the shakers for shifter/pedals and seat.

Whether Simvibe/Gamevibe use canned effects for curbs, traction loss, engine RPM and gear shifts I do not know.

Nor whether Simtools calculates and outputs the same "vibration" through the actuators that D-Box does."

Last edited:
@scottiedawg66 and mr latte
are there any options to control
"G loads for braking/acceleration or lateral G "
with ur software ? + what Software ? shakeit?

here is a first idea
schema10.jpg

Im not involved with any software or programming, at best I have shared some ideas or features I would like to see and in some cases they have been added.

Lateral G
SSW supports all the G-Loads but has limited controls with its settings in how we can use them.

I believe, Shakeit currently does not have lateral G but its developer has said it will come in an update at some point.

I still don't quite get the concept of what you're trying to achieve. Some in the past have tried to use tactile for motion-based sensations, like using springs but this is highly inaccurate. Really if we can not bring accurate movement/control in relation to the telemetry data then in my view its best to leave motion to motion solutions that do and use tactile for what it can bring.

Thoughts On Tactile Energy Potential?
The energy possible with "G-Based" sensations from using tactile is limited/based on the capabilities and number of tactile used to generate the effects. I have also stated in the past, this is not just limited to panels in a seat and while it is not the same type of sensation. The feedback felt for the effect and its vibrational energy can be enough to penetrate through the whole body. The point I highlight is what potentially can be achieved with this approach is still a great increase to the immersion. Its NOT about comparing a transducers vibration, to represent or equal that of a physical moving panel depressing into the user's body. As in my view we don't necessarily need to feel such depression to have something else represent the effects operation/load and positional placement.

You only have to look at some cars with extreme subwoofer installations what bass vibration energy can do. To be clear, this is not the approach I am taking, but it is a demonstration of vibrational energy generated by audio. Yet from past debates on this, some on RD forums want to tell me what perhaps is possible, or can/can't be achieved with "tactile" regards "G-Force" based effects when they themselves have perhaps done very little experimentation or testing with such.

On my own build, as an example with deceleration/braking, the goal is to be able to have upto 10 large BK units bring controlled, individual sensations for the pedal/seat regions to represent G-load. I dont think, I need to go down the path of a G-Seat to have very immersive/convincing sensations to represent G-Based effects and while I don't doubt what a G-Seat can bring in its own immersion and giving a sensation to relate to the operation of different G effects.

I want to see and test what can be achieved with the experiments I want to do. In my view a G-Seat is not natural and having a G Seat that can cause discomfort or muscular pain like @HoiHman described with his own modded GS4 would not be something I personally would want with already having mild back-aches. I don't question that such can be entertaining or immersive but its an example that I have said before, "immersion" is not always about portraying "real world accuracy". It's about delving the user more into the simulation. So for some to come to the conclusion that tactile cannot be well used to represent energy for "G-Forces" and bring its own "immersion" my own actual tests thus far for me personally do not align with their opinions. While a G Seat, places the energy into the user, the telemetry data used for this I believe is in a representation of the car, not the driver. What I am seeking to do is help portray the vibrational energy the "G-Load" is placing on the car and the vibrational tactile/feedback that would be caused through the car's chassis. So, my own approach is different but it seems some don't grasp it or think it would offer much additional or convincing immersion.

I have considered a Crowson model in the past but these can get quite warm and I'm not sure how well it would hold up to the very high demands we would be placing on such a unit with "telemetry based" tactile and potentially multiple effects.

With tactile to represent low energy frequencies, we could generate a tactile vibration/wobble that varies in its felt sensation. Experimentation is required but we have the potential to generate or find sensations for the different G based forces or to the users preferences. The video below may help visually in highlighting how different sensations may vary or can be achieved.

PLAY AT SLOWEST SPEED

If one Crowson unit can vibrate over 250lbs via its operation, it may, however, be interesting to consider buying one to test as a method of bringing high energy for braking. Before I would consider such though, I want to test my own (slowly progressing experimental build) with multiple large BK units.

With Shakeit's update coming that will allow us to "create effects groups" to compare effects perhaps operating on more or fewer tactile units and with their own settings. It would then be possible to have car profiles not only use different settings but on a custom build like my own have more potential energy with them depending on the number of tactile units operational with specific effects. As we will very easily be able to control what channels an effect is on and I believe this be saved as part of a car specific profile.

Kudos to @Wotever for taking onboard some suggestions like this and seeking to implement them. Such features are welcomed and I think for creative or experimental tactile usage/installations it can help take us far beyond the possibilities/limitations that Simvibe has.

Last edited:
Thx for ur Infos about the software !

Can U plz post some pics of ur installation ?

My aim is to figure out what expensive voice coil concepts on the market
can be replaced by conventional cheaper solution for example voice coils from car subwoofers
or horn drivers with low frequency band and much power.

Further I wanna test what effect has a
decoupled rig (from floor) on the major movement and G movement.

I think this can only be solved with a "good" (dont know exact yet but no spring)
absorbing material

The pos side effect is that the vibration touches the rig but less the floor.

Thx for ur Infos about the software !

Can U plz post some pics of ur installation ?

My aim is to figure out what expensive voice coil concepts on the market
can be replaced by conventional cheaper solution for example voice coils from car subwoofers
or horn drivers with low frequency band and much power.

Further I wanna test what effect has a
decoupled rig (from floor) on the major movement and G movement.

I think this can only be solved with a "good" (dont know exact yet but no spring)
absorbing material

The pos side effect is that the vibration touches the rig but less the floor.

Own Build Update...
I am in the process currently of taking down a test rig I had been using and working towards a new one. A lot has been learned with tests being done over the last 2 years.

Here is part of the old build(s) that did not use good application of controlling the tactile path.
I was playing around with build ideas with the tubing and trying the tactie installed in different ways or places. I did find early on that I like the idea of having L/R sections for the rig build to help maintain better stereo effects yet allow front-back to transfer.

(images from various 2 year old builds)

Lots of test builds as I prefer to see something physical and properly experience it than go with 3D software tools. Subwoofers were combined in tests with multiple tactile. Via tests I helped learn myself how we can combine more than one unit or improve the felt tactile by how we determine/control its path of energy.

A plan for the isolation is to have the left and right sections supported by 12 large Ti 300 isolators. Being 6 each side for front middle and back. I want to test how having "softer" isolators but with more of them feels as I think it may help improve the detail over a harder solution but with less used.

The new tubing frame sections I have already built for parts of the rig, will now need to be modified to accommodate the inclusion of the extra 4xBK Concerts I have purchased. So I had been working on new ideas for those and the tactile configuration now being decided.

I also bought an additional TST 329 Gold in January for this new layout configuration. So these changes ate into savings that were ready towards more frame components/clamps etc for the build.

Will do a thread on the build and cover its progress but still not quite ready yet. No point showing a great deal, till I get properly into the build. The same tubing will be used but with the now considered SFX100 motion to have the tactile tubing frame connected to suitable 8020 surround for SFX. This is also why I want to now try softer isolation for the tactile but have full frame support underneath as I think that will work better in future if adding the SFX motion.

Subwoofers As Vibration Transducers
Video shared for sub/bubble is NOT my own, it was an example I found only....
Voice coils from subwoofers are likely not going to be reliable when placed under this level of usage and the extra strain a d.i.y approach to convert them brings. Some users may have tested with but its not something that appealed to me. For sure the car audio sector has amps that can output great bass and going that route can bring high wattages, even good DSP options but its not a direction I put a great deal of time into.

Telemetry-based tactile, while it may use limited frequency range, is very demanding, both on the unit being used and the amps to drive them. The installation I will have will also enable professional monitoring of all the channels activity. This can help with further learning and understanding of exactly what the effects/settings from the software being used and what its sending to the tactile units.

I have spent time on options for this from PC based DAW and plugins, to Android and ipad options. Sometimes sharing such a bit in this thread. I enjoy and like the ability to have Real-Time analysis, as this can be conducted per effect or per channel. Its part of what will make my own build different or beyond the norm and me being a tactile hobbyist.

Much of this time has been spent researching the options and self-learning.It wasnt as if I could go to somone as really I didnt see others attempting to look so deeply into tactile immersion.
I started monitoring effects and this back in 2016. This covered seeing what changes to software like Simvibe made and how different cars telemetry may alter the frequencies used. A new improved hardware/solution will be used for the build based on what has been learned and may I add still a lot more can be learned.

Last edited:
I believe @Mr Latte has talked about the benefits of isolating various units from each other. I'm experiencing that - with my current setup. I have a single spine of 8020 that holds my 2 LFEs and 1 ADX. The LFEs have bump and gear change duty and the ADX is RPM. What I'm finding is the ADX is creating a pulsing effect when in motion. At idle, no problem because the LFEs are not being used. Once I start driving, I feel a pulsing effect. I turn off the ADX, pulsing goes away and the fidelity of the LFEs returns. I tried to adjust the RPM effect to, in essence, only be active when I'm sitting idle. I find it kind of strange/breaks immersion when I, say, pull into the pits and all tactile effects go "silent". ShakeIt doesn't have a setting to configure by actual RPM so it basically always stays active.

I think I'll get another set of isolators for my heel deck and mount the ADX there. For now, I'm just going to stick with my LFEs which continue to put a smile on my face when I'm driving.

@Mr Latte
Ur rig looks stunning -great work !!

Ur photos show a lot details but I cannot imagine what the whole rig is like...

I guess the photos u take are actuators under ur seat ?!

Do u have any actuators for wheelsimulation in chassis mod ?

Are u running simvibe or shakeit ?
---------------

I found some more ideas - still figure out what is good

Ur right the bass woofer from car is not nice imo as well only perhaps if u
mount 2 coil drivers in opposite direction (into one housing) to stop each coil from jumping out.

what about

earthquake
http://www.earthquakesound.eu/home-audio/bass-shaker-and-accessories/quake-q10b.aspx
u can see very well how this works
and try to cover or rebuild it even with more stroke

another is using voice coil actuators like those -dunno if stroke is enough?
https://www.tds-pp.com/uploads/tx_tdsproducts/Voice_Coil_AVM_Series.pdf
http://www.a-drive.de/produkte/linearantriebe/tauchspulen/

or even piezo drives -dunno if stroke is enough?
https://www.faulhaber.com/en/products/series/ltc450/

this could be intresting
but only the idea to use a dc motor with unbalanced drive to move big masses
http://www.simprojects.nl/bff_shaker_system.htm

-------------------------
Does anyone know how magnetic d-box actuators work later model 4250i GEN II ?

Last edited:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 28 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 6.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.2%